review of .28 update

did the .28 improve the TFP's performance?

• yes, greatly!

Votes: 118 26.2%
  • a little bit

Votes: 180 39.9%
  • no change

Votes: 83 18.4%
  • a little worse

Votes: 39 8.6%
  • really bad

Votes: 31 6.9%

• Total voters
Search This thread

MegaPantheR18

Jun 16, 2011
Khimki
I was able to get out of the bootloop by holding the volume down and power during one of the reboots. Then I cleared the camera data/cache and popped it open, and it was still flipping out, but it lasted long enough for me to hit reset to default settings, then it caused another reboot, and now my camera works again. :) So if anyone has a problem similar to me, these would be the steps that worked for me:

1. Clear camera data and cache
2. Open camera app and reset settings to default (Easier said than done)
3. Reboot

But I'm still getting random reboots every 20 minutes or so, and THIS IS ALL ON STOCK. I only have minimal apps installed. Never had any of these problems before and I'm going to try and downgrade back to .21, or maybe bite the bullet and unlock and try cm9.

Well, I had the same situation and camera also started to work after these actions. But, unfortunately, it became green again. It's now in service center but they said, that I can take it back on Monday. So, if you need, I'll write the results in this thread.(I had .21 when this problem was stated)

P.S. sorry if my English wasn't correct!

Reactions: Yuhfhrh

beady_uk

Jul 22, 2010
Demandarin,

Have you got the new .29 beta yet? And what issues is it suppose to address?

Cheers

Yuhfhrh

Apr 27, 2011
Well, I had the same situation and camera also started to work after these actions. But, unfortunately, it became green again. It's now in service center but they said, that I can take it back on Monday. So, if you need, I'll write the results in this thread.(I had .21 when this problem was stated)

P.S. sorry if my English wasn't correct!

Yeah that would be great! :) Your English was flawless.

Reactions: 131313

martabakeju

Oct 3, 2010
Its actually 28.5. it could change n they send me a newer one.

-I/o & thread priority changes. Stock browser & games Should work better w/apps in background.

-wifi on during deep sleep battery improvements

Will it fix freezing Gmail issue? It seems like I'm not the only one and Gmail is very important to me ...

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk

Jan 24, 2012
Zürich
I've already experienced multiple browser ANRs and 4 reboots, 3 of which occurred while browsing and the fourth when opening up an application that pushed a notification while I was browsing, for Christs sake.. What is Asus doing!? I own a Razr.. Call me shallow or whatnot but my Razr is dual core.. Shouldn't it theoretically be 2X as LESS efficient and SLOWER? It feels really disappointing when my phone can update apps in the background and performs this without hiccups so much so that I've already forgotten that I was updating.. It really is a farcry for the prime.

But back to the topic .28 has honestly made my tablet a my tablet a little worse.. Back when I had .21 Random reboots were and browser ANRs were present, they were there but hard to emulate. The ONLY good thing about this update is that gaming on this tablet is FLUID thusfar (Max Payne , MC 3, Shadowgun THD) Gaming seemed smoother than before.

I was able to get out of the bootloop by holding the volume down and power during one of the reboots. Then I cleared the camera data/cache and popped it open, and it was still flipping out, but it lasted long enough for me to hit reset to default settings, then it caused another reboot, and now my camera works again. :) So if anyone has a problem similar to me, these would be the steps that worked for me:

1. Clear camera data and cache
2. Open camera app and reset settings to default (Easier said than done)
3. Reboot

But I'm still getting random reboots every 20 minutes or so, and THIS IS ALL ON STOCK. I only have minimal apps installed. Never had any of these problems before and I'm going to try and downgrade back to .21, or maybe bite the bullet and unlock and try cm9.

Have to admit that I have missed some of the posts in between. So my post is probably just another redundant one:
I am sure you guys have done the trick with the reset from the pinhole next to the microsd-card. Push a pin for 30 seconds into it and let the prime restart. Do whatever but before getting carried away do at least two more reboots and then start testing. Tell us the results in this thread.

shinzz

Dec 18, 2011
Well, this update is getting worse and worse each day. I wake up & I find something new that is wrong with my tablet. First... for some unknown reason... when I turn on the prime again... I was stuck in bootloop.

Hard reset and etc.... resolved it... but now... screen tear on the left appears way too frequently (instead of being sporadic) & reboot happens way too often. This is all on stock, default setting from Asus (nothing changed since bought), and only a handful of apps installed.....

I have also reached a point that I can't take another constant "tease" by....
Hardware issues.. software issues.. etc etc etc.....

At this point, I'm just hoping for fully functional NvFlash.....

Last edited:
Reactions: beekay201

seeknom

Jan 12, 2012
man, this is too crazy how varied the results are from update. can't lie though, id be pissed if i was having some of these more serious issues. other than different apps installed/setups, we need to find out why results be so different across the board.

demandarin,

Something you could suggest to Gary is that Asus contact some of these users suffering from bad problems, and swap tablets with them.

I think it would really help Asus immensely if they had some of these "problematic" tablets in-house for when they do their testing.

Obviously the tablets they're using aren't having these issues, so it's not an accurate cross-section of the hardware out there.

If they had these machines in their test labs, maybe it would help them get to the root of the problems once and for all... unless they're quietly aware of the issues and don't want to sink much more effort in because they're shifting the focus to the Infinity (and their other new offerings).

That being said, if they're having problems with scheduling of background apps, they maybe you've hit the nail on the head in terms of what this issue is (different people having different apps installed). If that's the case, they should be getting app lists from users with issues. Is that happening? Gary used to be quite vocal on here and has all but vanished.

Arun01

Feb 6, 2011
Are everyone that's having problems running stock prime? I unlocked & rooted awhile back & I must say roms make the prime shine. Especially Wookie's rom! :cool:

rcca

Apr 23, 2012
Fremont
anyone else having this problem as well? look at the left side of the screen
http://www.youtube.com/v/l7AK8Yyriiw
no not with .13, or any other problems, sticking with .13, had it since it came out.
Had my Prime since Jan.9 2012
Using Dolphin, only get 2 "wait" in a months time. No crashes, no reboots. Games run rea good, and You Tube, super!
rcca

---------- Post added at 08:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:33 AM ----------

ssemsub fromom;27419197]Just downloaded Max Payne and tried it out... was going okay, until the screen started flashing and froze... exited using the home button.

Something interesting (might just be a co-incidence), but it seemed to happen right as a gmail notification popped up in my taskbar.

Demandarin, if you're reading this, I saw a post where you mentioned that .29 has better thread scheduling with respect to background apps... is this connected at all?[/QUOTE]

I'm reading it, bummer! I just down loaded it too, but only thing is not using .28, using .13
Not rooted, B serial number. Since I had my Prime of Jan. 2012 never had much of any problem except the usual with the Default browser, but been using Dolphin for about 3 months, only get the "wait" maybe 2 time out of the month. All games and You Tube run FLAWLESS! Yahoo! I don't think I'll ever update any more, at least for now for what has been going on with most guys & Gals.
I love Max, had it on my Hi end desktop and Max 2. Good luck! hope you or Asus resolves something?
rcca

Bait-Fish

Aug 10, 2011
Southern California
demandarin,

Something you could suggest to Gary is that Asus contact some of these users suffering from bad problems, and swap tablets with them.

I think it would really help Asus immensely if they had some of these "problematic" tablets in-house for when they do their testing.
That sounds like a great idea! I'm sure people having problems would appreciate a unit with a late serial number in exchange.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk 2

Bait-Fish

Aug 10, 2011
Southern California
I'm a middle of the road guy. It's not a perfect world, so I don't fully rule out either software or hardware.

Obviously products are honed and perfected to some degree as their manufacturing life cycle matures. If remote troubleshooting doesn't work to remedy their problem, and through a screening process they cull some samples from RMA to basically do forensics on that unit, that sounds like great feedback. I wouldn't suggest doing it wholesale, of course, but with discretion, I think its useful.

I haven't been through RMA with ASUS but it also seems handy if they could sort of Remote Desktop to see what the owner is seeing on that device, depending on the problem. That, and maybe a system tool to gather details and get a better idea of what's causing a problem.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk 2

_Man0waR_

Oct 14, 2011
I am having the graphical glitch on the left side of the screen, which was fixed in .21 but returned in .28. It is really burning the whole experience, as I was soo happy with .21 update with modded build file.

Can we downgrade to .21 by placing the updater file in microSD card?

As I posted earlier, I had exactly the same issue on .21.

http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=27433898&postcount=243

Were you using the dock with the battery empty or almost empty ?

migo_dk

Feb 15, 2010
I just updated to .28 in Denmark this morning.

Serial No.: C20KAS1xxxxx

Previously my bluetooth was non-existing, but i received a dongle to fix that (thanks Asus).

The Wifi signal strength was around -70dBm (sitting aprox. 4m from the AP), with constantly drop-out. Only way to get around the drop-outs was to disable and then enable the wifi again.

Unfortunately this update doesn't seem to have improved any of the above.

Besides the Wifi and BT, my prime is working very well.

Thanks for the effort so far to try to fix this. Keep it up guys.

seeknom

Jan 12, 2012
You really think it's hardware related?

Maybe, maybe not... I think it's "system" related though (the sum of the hardware and software and/or configuration.)

Point being, if Asus were testing on some of these units, they would have seen these issues prior to deploying.

I mean, they tested for quite a while, and still missed these issues, which means their testing or hardware is not representative of their userbase.

demandarin

Apr 7, 2010
Alexandria, Va
demandarin,

Obviously the tablets they're using aren't having these issues, so it's not an accurate cross-section of the hardware out there.

If they had these machines in their test labs, maybe it would help them get to the root of the problems once and for all... unless they're quietly aware of the issues and don't want to sink much more effort in because they're shifting the focus to the Infinity (and their other new offerings).

That being said, if they're having problems with scheduling of background apps, they maybe you've hit the nail on the head in terms of what this issue is (different people having different apps installed). If that's the case, they should be getting app lists from users with issues. Is that happening? Gary used to be quite vocal on here and has all but vanished.

heres the thing. Asus tried to go that route before. when it came time to show n prove, the people they contacted with problem devices either:

-couldnt be reached

-couldnt provide crucial info to prove they had a prime. like serial number, reciepts, etc..

-some even tried to blackmail asus, in a sense. some people here wanted free products or a new prime in exchange for them shutting up and not bad mouthing asus here in forums. that one blew me away..lol

-the people that were finally reached, were found to have a history of returning defective products at the place of purchase of prime. a scam of sorts. alot of these people were blacklisted from these places because they had excessive returns. too suspicious looking. they do go back and contact the place where you bought it at. this person hasn't been around lately..thankfully..he was a supertroll...you know people who said asus sent them a free prime every week..lmfao

-tablets that was sent in from people were actually found not to be defective at all. the majority of them came this way. only a very small percentage had a real issue that they could test and fix.

-some defects and physical damage was found to be self inflicted by the consumer but tried to blame it on asus rma or the shipping or tried to say their prime came that way... lol

most of this was near the beginning of prime. maybe like a few months back or so. alot of people tried to get over on asus. during that gps crisis and refund era. alot succeeded. so you cant really blame them for acting hesitant now. its been very hard for them to determine who has a real issue and who is just talking b.s. so they can get a refund or some kind of free handout or such.

so now their main approach is for us to send in units for RMA. then they will determine if theres an issue and if there is, how to go about fixing it. THey have their own testers from their own facilities. Me n a couple others are more like xda field testers for prime.

then we also had people who messed it up for everyone. not sure if you were here in the beginning but asus use to have large groups of people testing the firmware. group of people known to have a certain issue. it was back on one of the teens firmware, i believe. they were told not to leak the build. well they leaked a few builds and asus found out. because there was people having issue on test builds they were never supposed to be using.

i will mention this again but not sure of the outcome. ill see what he says. if people here want to test stuff, be ready to lose root.

As for Gary being more vocal in the past, you right. im sure he is a very busy man. he regulates all asus products. not just prime. he has other obligations also. he does this more so on his free time. which seems to not have much of. especially now with all these shows and future product releases. Peoples attitudes and comments in this forum probably play a huge factor also. its like some people can never be pleased. some stay negative no matter what. you had people bad mouthing gary like he is obligated to be here. which he is not. he could leave at anytime....he still updates us here when he gets the chance though. he hasnt disappeared. he is very busy trying to figure out fixes to primes software issues.

Last edited:

HockeyZ39

Feb 19, 2008
My wifi performance has seen a sizable boost.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2012-06-16-14-58-55.jpg
    Screenshot_2012-06-16-14-58-55.jpg
    158.7 KB · Views: 313

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    demandarin,

heres the thing. Asus tried to go that route before. when it came time to show n prove, the people they contacted with problem devices either:

-couldnt be reached

-couldnt provide crucial info to prove they had a prime. like serial number, reciepts, etc..

-some even tried to blackmail asus, in a sense. some people here wanted free products or a new prime in exchange for them shutting up and not bad mouthing asus here in forums. that one blew me away..lol

-the people that were finally reached, were found to have a history of returning defective products at the place of purchase of prime. a scam of sorts. alot of these people were blacklisted from these places because they had excessive returns. too suspicious looking. they do go back and contact the place where you bought it at. this person hasn't been around lately..thankfully..he was a supertroll...you know people who said asus sent them a free prime every week..lmfao

-tablets that was sent in from people were actually found not to be defective at all. the majority of them came this way. only a very small percentage had a real issue that they could test and fix.

-some defects and physical damage was found to be self inflicted by the consumer but tried to blame it on asus rma or the shipping or tried to say their prime came that way... lol

most of this was near the beginning of prime. maybe like a few months back or so. alot of people tried to get over on asus. during that gps crisis and refund era. alot succeeded. so you cant really blame them for acting hesitant now. its been very hard for them to determine who has a real issue and who is just talking b.s. so they can get a refund or some kind of free handout or such.

so now their main approach is for us to send in units for RMA. then they will determine if theres an issue and if there is, how to go about fixing it. THey have their own testers from their own facilities. Me n a couple others are more like xda field testers for prime.

then we also had people who messed it up for everyone. not sure if you were here in the beginning but asus use to have large groups of people testing the firmware. group of people known to have a certain issue. it was back on one of the teens firmware, i believe. they were told not to leak the build. well they leaked a few builds and asus found out. because there was people having issue on test builds they were never supposed to be using.

i will mention this again but not sure of the outcome. ill see what he says. if people here want to test stuff, be ready to lose root.

As for Gary being more vocal in the past, you right. im sure he is a very busy man. he regulates all asus products. not just prime. he has other obligations also. he does this more so on his free time. which seems to not have much of. especially now with all these shows and future product releases. Peoples attitudes and comments in this forum probably play a huge factor also. its like some people can never be pleased. some stay negative no matter what. you had people bad mouthing gary like he is obligated to be here. which he is not. he could leave at anytime....he still updates us here when he gets the chance though. he hasnt disappeared. he is very busy trying to figure out fixes to primes software issues.
    based on Gary new update, they seem to take my recommendation of opening up testing to some more people and giving an update on NVFLASH.

Don't ever say i don't try to look out for you all :)
    Gentlemen and ladies,

I am opening this thread for constructive feedback of the TFP in real world use after the .28 update. Please stay on topic, HELPFUL and RESPECTFUL. By having an open an honest forum, we can help drive development and troubleshooting. Please be thoughtful and give it some time so you get a good sense of the changes.

My review will be here sometime this week and I will update regularly.

First two hours:
    General feeling is that it's is considerably faster and smoother. Swype actually functions like it should with no lag, which is huge for me. Wifi signal is stronger, went to the opposite side of the house which is through a brick wall , a refrigerator, and another wall, about 30 feet in total. Used to get 1 bar, now a solid 2, total signal loss of 36% on wifi analytics app. I did get two ANRs on Facebook using dolphin, got it on stock browser too. had this scenario twice so far: 2ANRoD, two ANR of death, on stock browser with flash heavy objects, I'll get two popups and wait doesn't fix it and browser crashed. Still Pleased so far. More to come.

After first full day (6/14/2012):
    The happiness with the update is starting to fade a bit as some old problems remain. I cold rebooted to see if there was any improvement, (not really)
    Browsing: I have been experiencing a few ANRs messages consistently, they are way less than .21, but a few time an hour. I have noticed that google news website no longer produces the ANR on dolphin, where previously it did. Some sites that are flash work great, others not so much. FB webpage creates the ANR message everytime. I do continue to get some hangs or web pages that do not load completely, but generally the experience is faster loading. Stock browser continues to perform better than Dolphin, so I have to switch back and forth a bit which is annoying. .28 is still a step in the right direction by clearly not up to par. From Gary's post, I look forward to the next update to clear this up.
    Productivity: opening pdf files is noticeably faster but still EXTREMELY slow by comparison to my sgsII. (For example, my sgsII opens a 3mb pdf of 180 pages in less than a second, whereas the TFP takes at least 10 seconds or longer to load a 3mb file of 10 pages.) I find this to be unacceptable as I bought the TFP specifically for work related tasks. using swype is still better, some glitchiness but far less.
    WiFi: still better than .21 consistently in my home. Signal has been noticeably improved. I am definitely pleased there.
    UI: Definitely there is a sense of more smoothness and snappiness most of the time. The TFP is pretty tempermental at times with increased lag, slow downs, or out and out unresponsiveness for 10s or greater. Sometimes its perfectly fine with no rhyme or reason. Definitely an annoyance when this occurs.
    Battery life: I haven't notice a huge difference yet, but my use patterns are typically 2-3hrs so i don't stress the battery too much, i do have a vacation coming up so we'll see then. I do notice on the that when the dock is plugged in, it transfers battery to the tablet sooner. A few weeks ago i had a class for 9 hours, i noticed the tab would discharge to almost 50% before the dock kicked in. Now, the dock kicks in right away. after about 30 minutes i'm down to 80%, as it charged the tab about 15% then seemed to stop charging it for a while. looking at the battery meter i notice that it made a small sine wave, kicks in a little, then lets the tab discharge a bit. cool. ps- can i request a better battery graph? maybe some numbers and xy lines?
    24 hour impression: This update is a step in the right direction as there are some improvements, but those improvements by an large are hard to quantify, other than the WiFi. I believe that the website loading is better most of the time. I am definitely disappointed by the ANRs and processing; my belief is that there should be improved processing over my sgsII dual core. I'll say this now because it came to mind over the last 24 hours: though less than .21, erratic performance and continued problems nearly 7 months out from release, with an update that took a long time to come out makes me suspicious of larger issues. I believe that there are solutions, and .28 shows that things can be better, I begin to wonder how much of a time investment will make in the tf201 over the long run to get it to where it should be. Over the weekend I am going to be using the dock and probably playing more games, so I will round out my review at the five day mark.
    give it time to settle in though. people can't say update is really bad and haven't even ran it for more than an hour yet..lol just saying.

constructive criticism always good. ill vote.

for me, running this update over 2 weeks now, its been running great. battery life improved alot. wifi performance better(for me). no browser ANR or crash in 2 weeks. most graphic heavy games playable now without crashing. overall faster feeling device. no random reboots. I like this build way better than. 21..lmfao
    man, this is too crazy how varied the results are from update. can't lie though, id be pissed if i was having some of these more serious issues. other than different apps installed/setups, we need to find out why results be so different across the board.

demandarin,