Remove All Ads from XDA
Find Your Device:
Or Continue to Thread: Repaired my HTC Incredible S U…
26th June 2012, 06:29 PM
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 24

More
Repaired my HTC Incredible S USB-Port
Wow, I feel like McGuyver.

My Incredible S stopped charging when I was fiddling around with a car charger. Also USB-data connection to the computer did not work anymore.

I suspected that there was a fault in the car electric and a chip was blown by too high voltage.
I still have had a torx driver since I changed the screen on my former Wildfire. So I wanted to see if there was a little chance to repair it.

When I opened the device I could not see anything burnt or so inside. The USB-Port was connected with a flex cable to the main board. I removed it. Then I connected the port to an USB-Port of my computer and tried to measure if there was any voltage. Of course I "managed" to create a shortcut while measuring and my computer shut down immediately. Anyway, I had the impression that there was no voltage at the end of the flex cable. I did a little Google search and found out that there were some offerings for an "USB Flex Board" for the Incredible S. So I decided to spend the 25€ on this little piece of nothing.

Today I replaced the old USB - et voila - it works!

I found some articles on the net from people with similar problems but no solution. So I hope this might help. Perhaps the flex cable blows easily or the solder joints between port and flex cable get broken after a while. Somebody offers the USB-socket without flex cable. This is completely useless because the socket won't broke and you won't be able to solder it on the little flex cable.

If you want to try it on your own. I highly recommend to watch the YT-Video on how to open the Incredible. You should have the torx driver and a very small watchmaker driver for these two very little screws on the main board.

How to open the Incredible S:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cTOyjGol_iM

There are many more on YT just do a search.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to tricki For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift tricki Ad-Free