Mass storage mode

Search This thread

cjacks519

Jul 28, 2007
Anyone come up with a solution yet for USB mass storage mode to access the external card?

I recently bought a 64gb microsd card and the SGS3 has no option for mass storage mode to access it. Trying to load lots of music files. Very frustrating

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using xda premium

Sher The Love

Sep 13, 2011
California
You're not able to open windows explorer to drag and drop you music to the SD card? When you click on your phone in windows explorer, it should open up another page to choose between your internal and external storage.

Reactions: siirus09

teh roxxorz

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Nov 21, 2010
If you mean when connected to a PC, select camera mode when connected, in case the drive isnr compatible with mtp. You should be set then.

cjacks519

Jul 28, 2007
I can drag and drop. I was trying to use Double Twist program on my laptop to sync music so I have my itunes playlist intact. For whatever reason Double Twist doesn't recognize MTP or PTP connections on the sgs3.

I've run into a couple other situations with apps that don't recognize the external memory card. I think Quick Office Pro was another app I had trouble with as well.

I really miss the AOSP USB mass storage mode :(

JayFReaZy

Apr 8, 2011
Yes, not having UMS really sucks. I constantly have to switch between camera or media mode in order to transfer files. I'm 100% a custom ROM would fix this, but it should've been there out of the box. I wonder why samsung removed it.

mocsab

Aug 16, 2011
West Milwaukee
www.shimmeringglass.com
Can't find Externel SD Card on my PHOne

I installed a 32GB external SD Card on my phone - when I plug in my computer I can see it just fine - I see T999 and Card as, connected to my computer via USB - this looked really different from how I have seen the external SD Card presented on other phones???

Plus - when I open ROOT Explorer or ES File Explorer to try to manage files on the Ext SD Card - I can't seem to find it anywhere - I can see the "SD Card" - which is the internal SD Card that comes with the phone- I have music files I have already put on that along with a ROM and Kernel Zip File that I flashed recently - and which I added prior to getting the 32GB external SD Card.

FYI - On my phone, When I go to 'Settings" Storage - I can see there is an SD Card with 29.71GB of available space (I don't have any files on it yet) - So I know the phone can recognize it - I just can't find it using any of the file explorers - is there some setting I have neglected to turn on ?

when I installed an SD card on my wifes EVO LTE I see both internal and external SD Cards - with names like SD Card - EXT SD Card -and or SDCard2 all depending on what program I was using to locate them -

on my new GALAXY SIII, right now I only see SDCard and can;t locate th external SD Card - any suggestions? (I feel like a real noob) :)

siirus09

Mar 10, 2011
I can drag and drop. I was trying to use Double Twist program on my laptop to sync music so I have my itunes playlist intact. For whatever reason Double Twist doesn't recognize MTP or PTP connections on the sgs3.

I've run into a couple other situations with apps that don't recognize the external memory card. I think Quick Office Pro was another app I had trouble with as well.

Yeah I gave up using DoubleTwist because of the outdated/slow support like what you are having and how it doesnt work well with mp3s over 10 mb. I switched to Syncr to use iTunes as my playlist manager and it works perfect. Syncr had support for the S3 almost the next day.

Reactions: cjacks519

Stryker1297

Jun 22, 2012
Holly Spring
Anyone come up with a solution yet for USB mass storage mode to access the external card?

I recently bought a 64gb microsd card and the SGS3 has no option for mass storage mode to access it. Trying to load lots of music files. Very frustrating

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using xda premium

have you downloaded the latest samsung drivers? also if you connect the phon to your laptop, shouldnt thepull-down notification now ask if you want to use mass storage?

JayFReaZy

Apr 8, 2011
have you downloaded the latest samsung drivers? also if you connect the phon to your laptop, shouldnt thepull-down notification now ask if you want to use mass storage?

Mass Storage mode has been removed. Samsung now uses multimedia transfer or camera transfer (or something close to that). Mass storage is no longer an option in the drop down menu.

mocsab

Aug 16, 2011
West Milwaukee
www.shimmeringglass.com
go to /mnt/extSdCard
Awesome - thanks - I feel like such a noob - and I should have been able to figure that out - it was just so different than other I had seen. By the do you know if CWM will recognize the External SD Card? (on my wife's EVO LTE I could choose which of the two SD Cards I wanted to flash with - is there any wayt to that with CWM and or does TWRP work with this phone?

Thanks for the help - it is appreciated

cjacks519

Jul 28, 2007
Yeah I gave up using DoubleTwist because of the outdated/slow support like what you are having and how it doesnt work well with mp3s over 10 mb. I switched to Syncr to use iTunes as my playlist manager and it works perfect. Syncr had support for the S3 almost the next day.

Never heard of that program but it sounds like something I'll try out. I always used Double Twist in the past just because it imported iTunes playlist flawlessly. Sammy unfortunately takes away the AOSP mass storage mode. Sucks! :crying:

Thanks for this suggestion. I'll give it a go :good:

cjacks519

Jul 28, 2007

I do have the latest samsung drivers, but unfortunately not all programs or apps recognize the MTP and PTP options that samsung forces us to use

cjacks519

Jul 28, 2007

Is it "iSyncr" perhaps??? I tried a google search of just "syncr" and I'm having trouble finding it.

cjacks519

Jul 28, 2007
found this thread in the i9300 forums:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1711009

Unfortunately it only works for the international version (already tried it). I would hope that something like this could be created/ported for the US variants. I'd do it myself, but this kind of stuff is way over my head :confused:

Maybe one of our great devs could make this happen???

liquidreign

Jul 19, 2010
Root Explorer Problem

I am having a similar problem. My phone recognizes my external SD card (64 GB Sandisk Ultra).

I can transfer files from my computer to my ExtSD via usb.

When I go in to my my files on my phone it shows ExtSD Card and SD Card, but root explorer, ES file, and Astro will not show ExtSD.

I have been looking all over for a solution but have yet to find one.

I finally realized what going to mnt/extsdCard meant. Feel pretty dumb.

Last edited:

Ov3rbyte

Jan 23, 2012
It won't let me see hidden folders in camera or media sharing mode. I hide folders with a "." in front of it, so like /.Wallpapers/ won't show up. Any way to fix this without renaming it?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    when I open ROOT Explorer or ES File Explorer to try to manage files on the Ext SD Card - I can't seem to find it anywhere

go to /mnt/extSdCard
    You're not able to open windows explorer to drag and drop you music to the SD card? When you click on your phone in windows explorer, it should open up another page to choose between your internal and external storage.