Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

aksolanki

Mar 14, 2011
Lugo, Italy.
www.thisiswhatwedo.com
CyanogenMod team Q&A video

Hi, I've just watched a Q&A session with the CyanogenMod team posted on YouTube. It's 45 mins long. There are some very interesting insights in some of the teams answers, especially at the end. With the "holy grail" question being. Which devices do you guys recommend.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDdwcNU_Xyo&feature=g-u-u

Have fun. Anil

PS. I'm certain none of the CM team will ever see this. But it needs to be said. Thank you for giving a ****! Otherwise our smart phone's, would simply be appliances.

orbital_71

Apr 22, 2012
Mr. Owain or any one here, have the torch light apk by owain? And guide to install it? Tks......

Sent from my LG-P990

hadi_rena

Sep 1, 2011
Bandung
Build 80 is currently being tested by my beta testers so it'll be ready very soon ;)

Expect a huge nice changelog

Sent from my HTC One X using XDA Premium HD app

Hi Owain It's may be rude but I can't found any reliable source... Could you tell me what the difference between your build and AOKP build ? Both are ICS based and have improvement (exclude your cherry pick). I want to try ICS rom but I can't decide which one to try.

Ultramanoid

Apr 24, 2011
東京都 Tokyo Metro
Hi, I've just watched a Q&A session with the CyanogenMod team posted on YouTube. It's 45 mins long. There are some very interesting insights in some of the teams answers, especially at the end. With the "holy grail" question being. Which devices do you guys recommend.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDdwcNU_Xyo&feature=g-u-u

Have fun. Anil

PS. I'm certain none of the CM team will ever see this. But it needs to be said. Thank you for giving a ****! Otherwise our smart phone's, would simply be appliances.

I had been waiting for it since they posted the presentation they gave before the Q&A, and both videos are edited which makes me wish I knew what's missing... Maybe someone asked which devices are their daily drivers, something I'd love to know.

Interesting bit about the vendors who have provided devices to CM :

* SONY ( hah, who would have thought, even camera drivers !? )

* Samsung

* LG

I still have faith in LG, folks. Not so much in Nvidia.

Striatum_bdr

May 29, 2011
Marseille
Hi Owain It's may be rude but I can't found any reliable source... Could you tell me what the difference between your build and AOKP build ? Both are ICS based and have improvement (exclude your cherry pick). I want to try ICS rom but I can't decide which one to try.

Those ROMs are different, CM has it's own sources, AOKP is AOSP based. You'll have to try both to choose. And Owain's one is an hybrid, CM9 based with a lot of personal modifications, and some parts taken here and there. So in fact they are 3 different ROMs.

Try.

Reactions: hadi_rena

Garfields 2X

Apr 10, 2012
Wiesbaden
Hey owain, does build 80 include this laggfree-thing? (so you dont have to change the build.prop after each reboot).. becaus it has not worked properly in build 79??
I asked 3 times but i got no answer..

And what about jelly bean? Are the next rom androids 4.1? or is it not possible because of the missing sources by nvidia and LG?

sorry about the annoying question..

ur doing a great job! i wish i could write my own builds like you do!

hope to get an answer..

aksolanki

Mar 14, 2011
Lugo, Italy.
www.thisiswhatwedo.com
I had been waiting for it since they posted the presentation they gave before the Q&A, and both videos are edited which makes me wish I knew what's missing... Maybe someone asked which devices are their daily drivers, something I'd love to know.

Interesting bit about the vendors who have provided devices to CM :
* SONY ( hah, who would have thought, even camera drivers !? )
* Samsung
* LG

I still have faith in LG, folks. Not so much in Nvidia.
Hi Ultramanoid, first; It's simply great to see some of the people who made our smartphone universe possible. Otherwise we'd all have locked down appliances. With little or no control.

Second, the insight's into accommodating vendors. Who plays ball, and who doesn't, wasn't a great surprise. But, at the same time, confirmed my belief. That in the long run, do yourself a favour, and buy a NEXUS device.

Most ANDROID users simply aren't aware of this community of ROM's. They have no idea their devices can, or could, run other software. But therein lies the rub. If you want choice, you have to take control and decide for yourself, which flavour of ANDROID you use.

Unfortunately, most users choices are based on hardware. How many CPU cores? How many mega pixels? AMOLED or LCD? Fashion!

Which are all important considerations. But not as crucial as; does this hardware manufacturer support their device in a timely manner, when Google provides software updates? If LG does release an ICS update in the third quarter of this year. It will have been a year since ICS was released by Google. In my book that's simply not good enough. My girlfriends ASUS Terga 2 tablet has had ICS since January! And two more updates since then.

I've only been using ANDROID for two years. The biggest lesson I've learned in that time? Buy a NEXUS device! Which is great. Because it means, no more trying to decide which new phone or tablet to buy. If it ain't Google, I ain't interested. What good is an 8mega pixel sensor, if the software to use it is over two years old? What a relief.

Sorry for the rant. Back on topic. Owain, dude you rock! Build 80!

Have fun. Anil

Last edited:
Reactions: Ultramanoid

Ultramanoid

Apr 24, 2011
東京都 Tokyo Metro
Hi Anil, don't want to hijack this thread either, just a reply to this :

do yourself a favour, and buy a NEXUS device.

The Nexus One in its prime with a customized rom was no doubt the best smartphone I've used in the last decade, bar none. ( Yes, there were smartphones ten years ago, and Macs before the iPod or OS X - not saying this to you, but for the benefit of younger readers... )

Unfortunately current Nexus devices have done away with the card slot, which is a total and complete deal breaker for me.

( Might as well mention that the HTC One X added insult to injury with a non-replaceable battery, another deal breaker. )

For me at the moment it is not possible to combine my favourite hardware with the software I need and want. But we sure do have options and workarounds, and choice. Alternatives.

All thanks to having several hardware manufacturers competing, and the awesome work of people like the CM guys, Owain, et al.

以上~ f(^_^;

Last edited:
Reactions: aksolanki

aksolanki

Mar 14, 2011
Lugo, Italy.
www.thisiswhatwedo.com
Hi Anil, don't want to hijack this thread either, just a reply to this :
Unfortunately current Nexus devices have done away with the card slot, which is a total and complete deal breaker for me.
Hi Ultramanoid, I understand your point. Choice is great. Being able to add more storage space is great. But, there is a caveat.

android-480--800_4afe.jpg

Adding additional storage does create problems, just look at the image above. I can see why Apple chose the route they did. I've read several Google ANDROID dev blog's as to why they dumped SD card support from their hardware. Google never wanted external storage in the first place, they only added it because they had to.

If SAMSUNG made a Galaxy Nexus with 64GB, I'd hazard a guess and say, we would both be at the front of the queue to buy one. I'll bring the sandwiches, you bring the flask of coffee. Deal?

Have fun. Anil

Ultramanoid

Apr 24, 2011
東京都 Tokyo Metro
I'm using 64 GB SDXC cards, keeping data in a device's internal memory is not acceptable for my use of a smartphone.

:)

Edit : I also need to access and use the data and the cards on different devices immediately, no transfers, etc. Many reasons, some because of work, some personal, anyway, a deal breaker ( for me ).

I only have one camera folder by the way, both in CM 7 and 9, mostly using Vignette.

Edit 2 : Also, I use a file manager to handle files, including all media files, and completely erase Android's default gallery... ( I heartily recommend QuickPic as a better alternative. )

Last edited:

thedicemaster

May 10, 2009
you only get a double camera folder if you've taken photos before switching to external storage, or if you take the sd card from a digital camera.
i've never had issues with double camera folders either.

and indeed for 64GB devices sd support isn't that necessary.
but devices like the galaxy tab 2 8GB version have only that 1 8GB memory chip which is used for user apps(move to sd is disabled), app data, user files(music, photo's, video' etc.) and android itself.
in the end that leaves you with 4GB at best for your own data, nothing if you also have some EA or gameloft games.
so i'm happy with that microsd slot for my music and backups, and usb otg for movies.

Reactions: temasek

aksolanki

Mar 14, 2011
Lugo, Italy.
www.thisiswhatwedo.com
you only get a double camera folder if you've taken photos before switching to external storage, or if you take the sd card from a digital camera.
i've never had issues with double camera folders either.
Hi thedicemaster, I have had my 32Gb micro SD card installed from day one. I got the double camera folder because I used another app which created another folder of the same name.

I've had the same issue with my girlfriends ASUS Transformer tablet. The device has 16GB of internal storage, then I added another 16GB, for more movie's. Which meant I had to manage two movie folders.

In the end, I got her a 32GB SAMSUNG Galaxy tab. One place for everything, much simpler. Which reminds me, I need to put the ASUS on eBay. :)

Have fun. Anil

owain94

Inactive Recognized Developer
Sep 21, 2010
The Hague
build 80 is being upload right now enjoy

• Odexed
  • A lot of Power Widget improvements
  • Camera burst shot
  • Camera ISO
  • Smart call option
  • Statusbar brightness sliding and longpress
  • Settings apk GPS toggle (right under WiFi and Bluetooth)
  • Settings Processor.java: Fixes and Cleanups
  • Mms: fixes battery drainage while receiving Mms with data connection off
  • Libjpeg-turbo is back
  • Externalize symbol picker options to resources
  • Mms: cleanup in locale
  • Fix a possible off-by-one in the dalvik verifier
  • Camera: added continuous-picture focus mode
  • Dalvik: switched code to blx <reg>
  • Dalvik: hprof generation, not writing the first record
  • Improve HttpResponseCache performance
  • Option to let the ringone start with low volume and get louder.
  • Option for rotating while in call
  • Option to use the statusbar while in call
  • Option to fade touch keys while in call
  • Standardized keybord input
  • Updated lockscreen weather layout
  • Fixed weather refresh bug
  • Inlcuded AOKP weather icons they look way better IMHO
  • Included jelly bean animation
  • Animations are way smoother now
  • Hybrid bar thanks to rob43
  • Reduced the lockscreen clock margin it was to bug in my opinion
  • Fix a bug that slow down opening of applications
  • Replaced new lockscreen music layout black background with a transparant one
  • Fix in WiFi policy
  • Added correct honeycomb lockscreen ripple (previous one was to small)
  • Improved button changer
  • Fixed multiple Global actions dialog that slows the system down
  • Added a status bar section in Settings main screen it became to big for a sub settings
  • Profile status on settings header screen
  • Theme status on settings header screen
  • Improved power widget behaviour
  • Added tablet power widget options
  • Added hybrid power widget options
  • Disabled recent chooser when you activated hybrid bar OR flipped combined bar (while in tablet mode ofc) will be compatible later on
  • Deleted lockscreen alignment it was to confusing for some people
  • Cleaned up battery info
  • Fixed font changer
  • Prioritize input methods
  • Added smart call (when you are in a SMS conversation just hold you phone next to your ear to call that person (That ugly GS3 is not the only phone designed for humans)
  • Initialize mJunkPath to false
  • Parcel compRequired flag correctly
  • Fix shutdown sequence to avoid SIGSEGV when running am command
  • Limit length of SSID input string to 32
  • Wifi: update text displayed during hotspot on/off
  • Fix automatic timezone failing on some GSM networks
  • Fixed a lot of hot reboots
  • Servicemanager: Allow tegra audio to register as a service
  • Fixed google voice voicemail function
  • Everything is build with a new toolchain
  • Fixed 95% of all the reboots

owain94

Inactive Recognized Developer
Sep 21, 2010
The Hague
Wow, so many updates, well done owain!!
BTW, Jelly Bean has been slapped on an Optimus 4X HD, I hate NVIDIA!!

really that quick!?
they can make a update for that phone "their flagship" so quick

and when the p99x serie were there flagships we waited 19 years for a gingerbread update

seriously LG if one of you reads this forum screw you
you guys can make a update for a phone in days but making an ICS update for you old flagship phone takes you a half year!?
what is wrong with you guys

aksolanki

Mar 14, 2011
Lugo, Italy.
www.thisiswhatwedo.com
seriously LG if one of you reads this forum screw you
you guys can make a update for a phone in days but making an ICS update for you old flagship phone takes you a half year!?
what is wrong with you guys
Damn straight Owain. LG are a bunch of stupid slack bastards. Superb customer service. Ignore the customers who have already given you money. Simple idiots. Never again LG. LG = Long Goodbye

Have fun. Because CyanogenMod make it possible. Thanks Owain, that hopefully goes without saying. But I said it just to make sure.

Anil

Reactions: owain94

ShunSeb47

Dec 22, 2011
Mumbai
Hey Owain, I've been using your kangs and I'm very happy with them, the performance and battery life is just too awesome!

I've been having this wierd problem since morning the moment I activated a 3G data plan, the phone won't go into sleep mode it stays awake even when the screen is off and its chewing my battery. I guess it has something to do with 3G network, maybe its searching for it but can't find it. I have 17+ hours of battery life with 2G. I am using 725BB/Ril combo. Will changing BB/RIl help me?! Also, I was using 3G a few months back on Cm7 temasaek with 622 BB/RIL and that never gave me this problem.

Thanks

Ps:Attaching screenshots (1st one is with 2G and 2nd one after activating 3G)

Edit: I'm on Vodafone IND (Mumbai)

Sent from my LG-P990 using Tapatalk 2

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1342195503691.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1342195503691.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 358
  • uploadfromtaptalk1342195549159.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1342195549159.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 352
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    OwainP9.png

about.png

Why is this ROM "taking CyanogenMod to the next level?

CyanogenMod does not want to include many customizations like they did in cm7
    But why not? We want to customize our phones!
    This ROM adds more options and cherries to CyanogenMod, cherry picked from the CM gerrit, Google gerrit, AOKP gerrit, many github pages that are around or made by me

This ROM also includes a lot of experimental changes like many NEON optimized code sets, better libraries like jpeg-turbo and tweaked surface flinger, skia and many more

Want to turn the recent panel in to an app killer?
    Just select the option for a kill-all button!

You want to use this big awesome screen for tablet mode?
    OK! just boot in tablet mode then!

You want to reboot but don't wait to long?
    Just execute a hot reboot this is 50% - 70% faster then a normal reboot

You want a custom density?
    Got that covered!

Hate the default Roboto font?
    Just change it to another font with the build in font changer!

Hate the stupid useless overflow menu button (onscreen menu button)?
    Also got an option for that just hide it!

Hate the ugly Android Global Action (power menu) dialog?
    Just change it to a nice three row picture view without text

In Android you can swipe from the top of the screen downwards to expands the status bar
    Why only from the top of the screen?
    In this ROM you can define actions for
    • Swiping top edge
    • Swiping left edge
    • Swiping right edge
    • Swiping bottom edge

for example if you want the hide the status bar you can simply define a swipe action for it to an edge you like

And there is many more in this ROM!

Stock but still highly customizable the way we like it

ScreensP9.png

Download.png

ROM:

Hopto (Thanks to vadonka for his hosting!)
    Dev-Host
    MediaFire
    XDA File Server (Thanks to Korumera for his hosting!)

Gapps:

gapps-ics-20120429-modified-for-custom-density
    If you have problems with the modified package flash the stock package
    gapps-ics-20120429-stock

flash one of those
    and if you want inverted holo black gapps instead of holo white flash this afterwards

gapps-ics-20120429-holo-black-addon

Running a su660 baseband on your p990? then you'll need a nitz fix!
    flash this http://www.mediafire.com/?r5b82glm39s4hj4

Credits.png

• Zowie93 - For all the drawables in this topic
    • Team douche - For CyanogenMod
    • Team KANG - For AOKP
    • Pastime - For a ****load of patches
    • sgt7 - For a lot of nice stuff
    • Aksolanki - For his drawables
    • Temasek - For being a source of inspiration
    • Harsh - For keeping me awake all night
    • Mr Apocalypse - For leaking butter all over my ****
    • Ricardo aka arcee - For well this is obvious isn't it...
    Changelog.png

build 80
    • Odexed
    • A lot of Power Widget improvements
    • Camera burst shot
    • Camera ISO
    • Smart call option
    • Statusbar brightness sliding and longpress
    • Settings apk GPS toggle (right under WiFi and Bluetooth)
    • Settings Processor.java: Fixes and Cleanups
    • Mms: fixes battery drainage while receiving Mms with data connection off
    • Libjpeg-turbo is back
    • Externalize symbol picker options to resources
    • Mms: cleanup in locale
    • Fix a possible off-by-one in the dalvik verifier
    • Camera: added continuous-picture focus mode
    • Dalvik: switched code to blx <reg>
    • Dalvik: hprof generation, not writing the first record
    • Improve HttpResponseCache performance
    • Option to let the ringone start with low volume and get louder.
    • Option for rotating while in call
    • Option to use the statusbar while in call
    • Option to fade touch keys while in call
    • Standardized keybord input
    • Updated lockscreen weather layout
    • Fixed weather refresh bug
    • Inlcuded AOKP weather icons they look way better IMHO
    • Included jelly bean animation
    • Animations are way smoother now
    • Hybrid bar thanks to rob43
    • Reduced the lockscreen clock margin it was to bug in my opinion
    • Fix a bug that slow down opening of applications
    • Replaced new lockscreen music layout black background with a transparant one
    • Fix in WiFi policy
    • Added correct honeycomb lockscreen ripple (previous one was to small)
    • Improved button changer
    • Fixed multiple Global actions dialog that slows the system down
    • Added a status bar section in Settings main screen it became to big for a sub settings
    • Profile status on settings header screen
    • Theme status on settings header screen
    • Improved power widget behaviour
    • Added tablet power widget options
    • Added hybrid power widget options
    • Disabled recent chooser when you activated hybrid bar OR flipped combined bar (while in tablet mode ofc) will be compatible later on
    • Deleted lockscreen alignment it was to confusing for some people
    • Cleaned up battery info
    • Fixed font changer
    • Prioritize input methods
    • Added smart call (when you are in a SMS conversation just hold you phone next to your ear to call that person (That ugly GS3 is not the only phone designed for humans)
    • Initialize mJunkPath to false
    • Parcel compRequired flag correctly
    • Fix shutdown sequence to avoid SIGSEGV when running am command
    • Limit length of SSID input string to 32
    • Wifi: update text displayed during hotspot on/off
    • Fix automatic timezone failing on some GSM networks
    • Fixed a lot of hot reboots
    • Servicemanager: Allow tegra audio to register as a service
    • Fixed google voice voicemail function
    • Everything is build with a new toolchain
    • Fixed 95% of all the reboots
    Build 79:
    • Updated to IMM76I
    • Fixed tablet mode
    • Share to clipboard (usefull when you cannot copy something but only share for example youtube)
    • PowerSaver ported over from AOKP
    • Init.d config UI
    • Ability to choose the recent layout (Stock, WebOS, Sense 4)
    • Option for adding the day of the week next to the clock in statusbar
    • Option for persistent lockscreen battery percentage
    • Option to disable the camera shutter sound
    • Added more information to the "About phone" screen
    • Huge code cleanup
    • All the items in Settings -> System -> Statusbar should be working better now
    • More Linaro improvements
    • Don't let apps disable the SIM PIN entry screen
    • Don't consider input restricted if keyguard is still disabled
    • Option to use hardware menu key for app switching
    • Add system setting to control display of action overflow button
    • Brightness toast panel
    • Switch to dp from px for insets (lockscreen settings)
    • Lockscreen: toggle music layout (between stock and custom)
    • Bluewall firewall (notification sound mute)
    • Adds options to control scroll friction and velocity
    • Bootanimation performance enhancements
    • MIUI Style carrier text in the statusbar
    • Custom alpha level and color overlay for notification icons
    • MIUI like battery bar
    • Modified expanded status bar layout a bit it looks way better in my opinion
    • Build.prop tweaks UI

Build 78:
    • merged up to the lastest cm sources
    • merged all the experimental and stable linaro changes
    • system is build with the latest linaro 4.7-2012.05 toolchain
    • live wallpapers are build with the stock 4.4 and 4.3 AOSP toolchains because linaro can't build them
    • frameworks optimized for new linaro toolchain
    • expirimental arm v7 cortex a9 improvements
    • Add option to enable notification counts
    • Performance: Activity manager perf unnecessary recalc of oom_adj
    • Make brightness control more responsive
    • fixed external BT gps date/time issue
    • Settings observer to screenshot sound option
    • Fix off-by-one error when filtering application UIDs
    • Prevent empty overflow popup when there are no overflow items.
    • Foreground activity performs [Resume] and [Pause] when any process died in sleep mode
    • Fix for too many binder calls in packagemanager
    • Fix potential NPE when saving fragment state
    • Do not dispatch context selection events to non-visible fragments
    • Edge swipe configurable distances
    • Avoid dirty region drawing when EGL Surface object is not updated
    • Optional compact contact listview
    • Status Bar Brightness Control Padding
    • bootanimation: performance enhancements
    • Fix some Applications ANR issue in monkey test
    • Updated libjpeg-turbo to the latest linaro sources
    • Updated libpng to the latest linaro sources
    • Optional bottom statusbar
    • Port bug fixes from webkit to plug leaks
    • WebGL for the Android browser in Ice Cream Sandwich
    build 74 is up

merged up to the last commits

lockscreen calendar
    weather position chooser
    lockscreen music layout fixed (tablet mode bootloop fixed)
    weatherpanel changed to linear layout (tablet mode bootloop fixed)
    recents panel on lockscreen (navbar only)
    condensed global action drawable update to match ICS style
    lots of weather panel fixes
    vol up + vol down = toggle ringer (just like power + vol down = screenshot)
    reverted to old libgui.so it did break just to much

Screenie of calendar on lockscreen
    bc5a4a0c-3815-bcee.jpg
    uploading kang 67 right now

merged up to the last commits

fixed a huge memory leak
    Move sleep settings back to SettingsView
    tablet power widget update
    GlobalActions: Fix themeing of the ShutdownThread (non condensend only)