[CF-Root-S5830 3.7] CF-Root adaptation for Gingerbread

Search This thread

ts_firehawk

Sep 27, 2011
Colombo
Samsung Galaxy S10+
Hi!

Will be there a new version of CF-Root? Because there is also new version of Superuser application with binaries v3.1 which is not compatible with b84.

Maybe this is why I got problems with root. Switched to kernel Battery Extender to test if root will work.

Edit:
Thanks God it worked. I was starting to worry because I thought I would need to format my phone again!

Last edited:

ladislav.heller

Apr 25, 2012
Bratislava
Maybe this is why I got problems with root. Switched to kernel Battery Extender to test if root will work.

Edit:
Thanks God it worked. I was starting to worry because I thought I would need to format my phone again!

Yeah! I also updated first the Superuser application in Play store. No problem at this point. But when I updated binaries via the Superuser application, it destroyed the root completely. Only full re-flash of KPH ROM and CF-Root + fix b84 helped.

ts_firehawk

Sep 27, 2011
Colombo
Samsung Galaxy S10+
Yeah! I also updated first the Superuser application in Play store. No problem at this point. But when I updated binaries via the Superuser application, it destroyed the root completely. Only full re-flash of KPH ROM and CF-Root + fix b84 helped.

I was too lazy to re-flash my phone, so I installed another kernel and rooted it again with SuperOneClick. Now it is perfect.

poseben

Jan 2, 2011
Problem with bootup logo

Hello
Can someone help me with this:
I have CF-Root-S5830-v3.7-b84 and b84-fixed
But after I install app and make ext4 partition my bootup logo is gone :(

I was trying to find something about this problem in previous posts but no luck.

Ales

michiuco

May 12, 2011
Hello
Can someone help me with this:
I have CF-Root-S5830-v3.7-b84 and b84-fixed
But after I install app and make ext4 partition my bootup logo is gone :(

I was trying to find something about this problem in previous posts but no luck.

Ales

Have you followed all the steps? I meant to install root from recovery and the fix from cwm manager?

Sent from my GT-S5830 using xda premium

Reactions: poseben

ladislav.heller

Apr 25, 2012
Bratislava
Hello!

I've KPH ROM with CF-Root-S5830-v3.7-b84+fix and EXT4 partitions. I successfully flashed CF-Root-S5830_dtapps2sd-v1.2.zip in CWM5. I also have second EXT4 partition on SD card. But when I type the command a2sd check in terminal app, I receive following message:
[1] Segmentation fault a2sd check

And the same for any a2sd commands.
What is the problem, why a2sd doesn't work?

ladislav.heller

Apr 25, 2012
Bratislava
Hello!

I've KPH ROM with CF-Root-S5830-v3.7-b84+fix and EXT4 partitions. I successfully flashed CF-Root-S5830_dtapps2sd-v1.2.zip in CWM5. I also have second EXT4 partition on SD card. But when I type the command a2sd check in terminal app, I receive following message:
[1] Segmentation fault a2sd check

And the same for any a2sd commands.
What is the problem, why a2sd doesn't work?

Problem solved, I flashed KT7 ROM, then CF-Root b84 + fix and finally DTapps2sd script. It works now.

Is there a modified services flashable zip for KT7 BLN support?

The.Keeper

Jan 23, 2012
Lisbon
Good afternoon,

I have a doubt that consists of the following, the firmware 2.3.6 S5830XWKT6-S5830OXXKT3-S5830XWKT3 is the latest one, and this custom kernel works fine, the question is: is not this kernel outdated?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Copied from Chainfire post:
    This rooted kernel is for the "rooting beginners" and those who want to keep as close to stock as possible. CF-Root takes the kernel from an original Samsung firmware (S5830: compiled ext4 as module with ext2, ext3 and ext4 support), and just adds root, busybox, and (unprotected recovery and CWM compatibility) OR (CWM3). S5830: using a modified official CWM4 for Samsung Galaxy Ace.

If you are looking for highly optimized kernels or kernels that perform specific functions, look elsewhere. All CF-Root's are based on original Samsung kernels, they are NOT recompiled, and thus ensure maximum compatibility. S5830: have a kernel version compiled from Samsung original kernel source using a config file extracted from device.

THIS IS NOT A ROM - it is only a kernel (S5830: boot and recovery image). You need to have a firmware already on your device (S5830: tested on stock Gingerbread XXKPH, XWKPN, and DXKPB). You do NOT need to wipe anything for this patch. You DO need to read the instructions.

MAKE SURE YOUR PHONE CAN ENTER DOWNLOAD MODE USING THE KEYCOMBINATION WHILE BOOTING BEFORE FLASHING CF-ROOT (or anything, really)

Donate
    There have now been over 200.000 downloads of CF-Root for various devices (1700+ for CF-Root-S5830 b80), and many more if you include ROMs, kernels, etc that use it. Don't be a leech, buy Chainfire a beer (and use the "Thanks" button!)

Features
    Some binary files added:
    -- Root, su binary v2.3.2-efgh
    -- Superuser v2.3.6.3
    -- Busybox v1.17.2 for the boot image and v1.16.2androidminimal for the recovery image (from CWM)
    -- A modified CWM

Instructions (short)
    - Boot into recovery and flash CF-Root-S5830-v3.7-b82.zip. Done.

Instructions (long)

ClockworkMod
    - Booting into recovery will immediately give you CWM4! The standard recovery is completely gone.
    - ADB is functional in recovery.
    - When connected to ADB in recovery, you will get root directly.
    - If you wonder where your bootup sounds have gone, CF-Root probably renamed them.

CWM Manager
    Same as Chainfire's CF-Root
    Features:
    - Boot to CWM
    - Backup firmware
    - Restore backups (S5830: Do not use CWM Manager to restore any backup for now, use CWM Advance Backup directly!)
    - Delete backups
    - Install APKs
    - Flash CWM update.zip's
    - Flash kernels (zImage, zImage in TAR, zImage in ZIP, zImage in TAR in ZIP) (S5830: you have to rename boot.img to zImage)

Tweak Manager
    Same as Chainfire's CF-Root, except:
    - Kernel: Scheduler option always disabled on boot. Kernel scheduler tweak not working on S5830.
    - Now have "DT: Auto start" option to turn on/off Darktremor a2sd script on boot. Don't worry, Darktremor apps2sd setting is persistent, event you turn off the auto start script. It's safer to turn a2sd auto start off!

Ext4 Manager
    Same as Chainfire's CF-Root.

Obviously you should revert back to rfs before flashing a new stock/modified ROM!

S5830: No need to revert back to rfs before flashing a new stock Gingerbread ROM! Tested using XXKPH, XWKPN, and DXKPB.

Custom boot / init scripts
    Same as Chainfire's CF-Root.

Mount /dev/block/mmcblk0p2 to /system/sd if the microSD second partition present (ext2, ext3, or ext4), do not remove the microSD while S5830 ON (event after unmounted from "SD card and phone storage settings"), turn off your phone first before eject the microSD! It's safe to connect your phone to PC and mount the first partition (FAT/FAT32) in mass storage mode.

Custom boot animations and binaries
    Same as Chainfire's CF-Root. S5830: DXKPB have a bug (or Samsung made it), bootanimation not closed when boot complete, CF-Root fix it!

Dark Tremor apps2sd:
    A modified DT's apps2sd to guarantee no longer interfere Wi-Fi, BT, GPS, etc. Flash it using CWM recovery or CWM Manager - Flash update.

CF-Root by default not automatically start DT a2sd script on boot. Run Tweak Manager and select "DT: Auto start" option, then "Apply changes" to reboot your phone. When booting, bootloop will occur several times during DT apps2sd activation for the first time.

Installing busybox over the included version
    Don't do it!

How ?
    - Base on Chainfire's CF-Root, used a modified mkbootfs in order files in /sbin have the appropriate permissions.
    - A modified CWM4 package to make sure ext4 Manager conversion scripts working as expected.
    - Boot logo modification, references from here and here.

The original post (in Indonesian): CF-Root-S5830XXKPH.

BUGFIX: b82-ex-fixed
    Fix for following bugs:
    1. Auto boot when plugged into the charger/USB from off state or turned off when the device connected to charger/USB
    2. Gallery3D freeze after browsing some pictures, and then fail to display 3D textures in all 3D app
    Copy b82-ex-fixed.zip to SD card and then install it via "CWM Manager - Flash kernel"!

UPDATE: CF-Root-S5830 v3.7 b82-ex
    • swap and BLN support
    • Using a kernel compiled from source, the config file extracted from DXKPB device (/proc/config.gz) with small modification
    • Need a patched Service Manager (services.jar) installed on deodexed framework for fully working BLN. Backup your /system/framework/services.jar first!

UPDATE: CF-Root-S5830 v3.7 b82
    The original update (in Indonesian): CF-Root-S5830-v3.7-b82
    • Single *.zip for both boot and CWM recovery image. Flashable using stock or CWM recovery!
    • Using Samsung Galaxy Ace DXKPB stock kernel (2.6.35.7-perf-CL514579), don't blame me if you got SOD
    • ext4 as a module
    • wifi module (ar6000.ko) included, so this version of CF-Root-S5830 will work on all versions of Gingerbread
    • Busybox installed in /system/xbin
    • Need the new CF-Root-S5830_ext4-v1.3u3.apk for rfs and ext4 filesystem conversion
    • Bootanimation fix, kill bootanimation when boot done (DXKPB bugfix?). Android Scribble as demo bootanimation, delete /data/local/bootanimation.zip if you don't like it
    • cifs.ko and tun.ko included, no need separate package
    • Since using the stock kernel, have no BLN and swap support
    • Small size boot and recovery image, ~5MB each :D

UPDATE: CF-Root-S5830 v3.7 b80
    • kernel compiled using gcc version 4.5.2 (Sourcery G++ Lite 2011.03-42)
    • swap support
    • ext3, ext4 filesystem support
    • lzma initramfs support
    • kernel log buffer size: 12 -> 4KB
    • small-memory-footprint RCU -> Tiny RCU
    • default kernel command string: mem=330M console=NULL hw=5 fbaddr=0xf6000 quiet
    • printk without timing information
    • debug info disabled
    • alsa debug disabled
    • unnecessary LCD and battery printk removed
    • BLN kernel support, modified liblights.msm7k.so
    • wifi module taken from XWKPN to make a single distribution for both KPH and KPN
    • recovery b79: fix CSC flashing error

Single distribution for both KPN and KPH. For full BLN support, you have to install KPH/KPN services on deodexed framework. Backup your /system/framework/services.jar first!

UPDATE: CF-Root-S5830 v3.7 b78
    1. Using only 1 system property from the previous 21 (CF-Root + DT apps2sd). Now is guaranteed CF-Root no longer interfere Wi-Fi, BT, GPS, etc. It's a big problem if Android system property reach the 247 limit. You can use "getprop | grep -c ]" to count registered system property.
    2. The tweak script in /system/etc/init.d, it allows advanced users to do further tweaking
    3. New icon for CWM, Tweak, and ext4 Manager. Thanks to moemooo.
    4. Using CWM4 recovery. CWM4 re-packaged to ensure the ext4 Manager script working as expected. The ext4 script also improved, check SD card second partition also.
    5. Modified Darktremor apps2sd to use the CF-Root busybox. Reducing system property need to 0. Method of mounting SD card second partition fixed, false filesystem type detection will not happen.
    6. Turn the button backlight when the CF-Root script starts executed and turn it off upon completion. This could be an indicator of a problem and inform the user how long the CF-Root script is executed. Apparently fast so the already b78 user was not aware of this new feature :p
    7. Tweaks LCD in Tweak Manager changed as a switch for toggling a2sd script execution when booting.

DOWNLOAD:
    CF-Root-S5830-v3.7-b84.zip (12.55 MB)
    BUGFIX: Invisible boot animation.
    Install CF-Root-S5830-v3.7-b84.zip via "CWM recovery" first and then install b84-fixed.zip via "CWM Manager - Flash kernel"!

CF-Root-S5830-v3.7-b83.zip (12.38 MB)
    - Untested since on CyanogenMod 7.2 firmware for now
    - Using b82 recovery image
    - CPU and system bus overclock enabled
    - GPU driver backported from 2.6.35-11 kernel source
    - interactive, interactiveX, smart*ss, and smart*ssV2 governor
    - Samsung on the fly governor setting disabled
    - WiFi driver taken from DXKPD

CF-Root-S5830-v3.7-b82.zip (11.95 MB)
    Don't use the older version of CF-Root-S5830, I leave the attachments here since like to see the comparison between the number of downloads and the thanks list ;)

CF-Root-S5830-v3.7-b82-ex.zip (11.83 MB)
    The -ex version have swap and BLN support. This version using a kernel compiled from source, the config file extracted from DXKPB device (/proc/config.gz) without alot modification. Need a patched Service Manager (services.jar) for fully working BLN. Only DXKPB Service Manager attached here (CF-Root-S5830_DXKPB-services.zip) for now. You can patch your deodexed services.jar base on neldar's patch or ask me to do it.

A modified ext4 Manager to make it work on Galaxy Ace. Need a modified CWM4 recovery, not sure will work on official CWM4 from illarain/koush. This version show /system/sd partition size.

A reference multi CSC, taken from XWKPN (Europe?) and DXKC1 (Asia?). Default CSC: Indonesia ;) . A good reference for ROM cooker :D
    sec_csc.zip (3.69 MB)

DOWNLOAD RECORD:
    CF-Root-S5830-v3.7-b80_cifs_tun.zip: 493 downloads
    CF-Root-S5830-v3.7-b80_boot.zip: 1777 downloads
    CF-Root-S5830-v3.7-b79_recovery.zip: 1556 downloads
    CF-Root-S5830_tweaks-jrs.zip: 284 downloads
    CF-Root-S5830_tweaks-default.zip: 151 downloads
    Users Say Thank You: 28 :rolleyes: Chainfire said, "Don't be a leech".
    First page updated! CF-Root-S5830-v3.7-b83 download link added :D
    Someone please2 reupload b84 :(

Sent from my GT-S5830 using Tapatalk

sir try to look at this link.. http://www.loadpot.net/m2kpwzevrsvb/CF-Root-S5830-v3.7-b84.zip.html .. hope i helped..
    What about new kernel?

Sent from my GT-S5830 using XDA App

I uploaded what I have to my own hosting (no captchas, caps etc.) direct download links.

http://www.chrysalisnet.org/android/
    a Quick Guide To Install CF-Root (KPH)

Okay, because some of you may confused with the installation tutorial, I will write down the quick guide here with KPH stock ROM. Translated from Indonesian. ;)

First, download all needed files:

CF-Root-v3.7-b75-S5830XXKPH.zip (15.35 MB)
    Contains CF-Root PDA file and ext4 manager apk file. Extract it.
    dtapps2sd-2.7.5.3-beta04-signed.zip
    Contains darktremor update zip. Put it to your sdcard.

Follow these steps:

• Full flash with stock ROM (including CSC file)
    • After successfully booting to home screen, turn off your phone then enter to Download Mode. Flash PDA with CODE_S5830XXKPH_CL260130_REV03-CF-Root-v3.7-b74.tar.md5 - included in CF-Root-v3.7-b75-S5830XXKPH.zip.
    • After flashing success, leave your SGA for 15-30 minutes. Then reboot your phone.
    • Install ext4 manager (CF-Root-ext4-v1.3-S5830.apk) included in CF-Root-v3.7-b75-S5830XXKPH.zip; then convert filesystem to ext4 (you must have ~500mb free space on sdcard). Revert to rfs if you gonna flash new ROM.
    • Go to recovery mode, then install dtapps2sd-2.7.5.3-beta04-signed.zip from sdcard. Read page one for further instructions.
    • CF-Root has native a2sd darktremor support. To activate it, use "a2sd repair" on adb shell or Terminal Emulator.
    • You're done.

That's all! Sorry for my bad English :D