Official ICS; Still poor GPS performance

Search This thread

roadster92

Feb 25, 2007
Is it possible that other apps maybe conflicking with the GPS I can't get gps to work when I use navigator yet I get differnt apps with different offers for me in different cities.

It could be that your other apps using location feature only use Google location service (mobile network or wifi) when it could not get gps going. I have a few apps do so.

deadman_raziel

Nov 2, 2011
Chambersburg
I went straight and contact Samsung. It's look like that they did not even know there are issue with GPS in the new ICS. The tech went through the same story line of "factory/data reset, exchange for a new one blah blah". I told him that I have been there done that and told him that I flashing the ginger bread radio solved the issue in my case. He went and forward the my email to "whoever" for evaluation of the 2 radios. Just did a follow up email today. Let's see where this will go.

I have been flashing back and forth with UCLE2, UCLF6 and Ginerger Bread A1 radio. Each of them at least 2 days testing and it is the Ginger bread Radio that could provide the GPS extremely fast and some what stable (even indoor). UCLF6 or UCLE2 were just painful to acquire the signal .. especially came out of sleep. The best GPS lock for any of the ICS radio is to make sure that when you are using any apps that required GPS location is to run them outside (not indoor), even that sometime I could not get GPS lock (even reboot).

Try to do the test with any ICS Radio after every few hours using GPS Status and see what happen...I swear 1 out of 10 times you might get lucky to get a lock.

My opinion is people need to start bombard them with this issue so that they can be aware of it, otherwise they are not aware of it.

Sorry... if my English is not that well.

I actually contacted Samsung and they said "it's AT&T, they are the ones that are pushing the update and finalized it" and AT&T's response "It's Samsung because we don't do any programming for the devices, it is whatever Samsung gives us". So I pushed for the supervisor because I have to have the reliable GPS for my job (I go on-location all over the country and don't know my way around, so GPS is necessity that I must have working). I was going to have my wife over-night me the Skyrocket I also have at home, but after some research, that ICS has the same issue as the Note (basically it's the same phone, just smaller). So I was on the phone with AT&T, used my politically correct discussion skills and have a new phone on the way, I opted for the HTC One X simply because, well, this is the 3rd Samsung device I've had that ultimately had software issues FROM Samsung updates, and I'm sick of that company's half-baked attitude towards it's customers. Best response I got from Samsung after having issues when the updates take place "You can always buy the <whatever the newest phone is at the time> and the problems are resolved". Well, that's not an option when I'm not even a year in a contract. Reinforces my position that Samsung is more interested in pushing out new devices than supporting the products in customers hands.

So now I'll be rocking the Skyrocket, Note, AND a One X, all at the expense of AT&T for not making sure everything on the devices works properly.

Be polite, stand strong, and you'll also get results from AT&T at least. I had a data support tech from AT&T searching online and found multiple android forums that are showing issues with the GPS on the ICS update for the Skyrocket & Note. So it is a well documented problem, it's just if Samsung decides to do anything about it & doesn't try to get you to either send the phone back to them for up to a month or more for "repair" or stick you with purchasing a new phone (or paying for warantee replacement if that's on your acct with AT&T). Because it's not MY issue that the software they push/recommended for updating my device makes it unstable, or features unusable when that's a key feature that is used just as much, if not more, than the phone itself.

Just my $0.02 on it. Tired of the customer having to take it and smile because the manufacture/service provider doesn't properly support the devices or send out 1/2 baked updates that break functionality. I say Epic-fail on Samsung development & AT&T quality control for letting it through.

JGuinan007

Jun 1, 2010
Philadelphia
Google Pixel 6 Pro
So there is really no fix on the way for the GPS issue? That makes 2 BIG issues for me with my Note I have the Black Crush and now no working GPS. I didn't have these issues with HTC Inspire 4g but now HTC makes non-removable batteries and no expandable memory what do I do now?

---------- Post added at 09:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:49 PM ----------

Anyone know how well AT&T Navigator works on our Note perhaps AT&T broke GPS to only work on it's Navigation so you have to pay to use it?:cowboy:

Tx Redneck

Dec 24, 2010
So there is really no fix on the way for the GPS issue? That makes 2 BIG issues for me with my Note I have the Black Crush and now no working GPS. I didn't have these issues with HTC Inspire 4g but now HTC makes non-removable batteries and no expandable memory what do I do now?

---------- Post added at 09:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:49 PM ----------

Anyone know how well AT&T Navigator works on our Note perhaps AT&T broke GPS to only work on it's Navigation so you have to pay to use it?:cowboy:

Flash the UCLA1 modem from GB, you'll get working GPS back.

Korrupt1

Sep 13, 2011
Edmonton
Could it be a poor LTE service? Mine is taking about 5 minutes driving time for it to lock in as well. Same time frame on last 2 custom roms. Was faster when I used my old Sim card, before our city got LTE...

Tx Redneck

Dec 24, 2010
Could it be a poor LTE service? Mine is taking about 5 minutes driving time for it to lock in as well. Same time frame on last 2 custom roms. Was faster when I used my old Sim card, before our city got LTE...

Flash ucla1 and enjoy GPS again.

Saved and Texan by the Grace of God, Redneck by choice.

StarLog

Apr 29, 2008
Orlando, FLA.
Flashed UCLAF1 yesterday and ran with it today. Worked fine for 20 minutes, and then it started to show +- 5 mph, then stopped working.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using xda premium

kiltedthrower

Sep 23, 2010
Strange how some have bad GPS and some of us have flawless GPS.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using xda premium

Barry (NJ)

Aug 20, 2008
GSP 165, NJ
My GPS was actually a bit wonky before the upgrade to ICS. I think it happened after an upgrade to Google Maps/Navigator. I do seem to get faster/more consistent GPS lock with Navfree, so I wonder if it's an app issue and not a hardware or OS issue.

mrstone77

Aug 3, 2011
Has anyone tried faster fix from the market? Under servers select custom and put supl.google.com.....worth a try.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using XDA Premium App

jc2464

Jul 19, 2012
GB UCLA modem good, but still no GNSS

After trying this for 4 days so far, the GB (UCLA1) modem is working OK for me on ICS (UCLF6).

One gripe (more like quibbling at this point) is that total satellites is always around 10, rather than the 18+ I'd always get on GB. Reason is, it never manages to lock on to more than 2 GLONASS satellites. I've also tried leaving it on for a few hours, but still no luck. It's not a big issue, but those extra satellites definitely help in cities and densely wooded areas.

Aside from the modem, are there other parts of ICS that can interfere directly with GLONASS?

roadster92

Feb 25, 2007
After trying this for 4 days so far, the GB (UCLA1) modem is working OK for me on ICS (UCLF6).

One gripe (more like quibbling at this point) is that total satellites is always around 10, rather than the 18+ I'd always get on GB. Reason is, it never manages to lock on to more than 2 GLONASS satellites. I've also tried leaving it on for a few hours, but still no luck. It's not a big issue, but those extra satellites definitely help in cities and densely wooded areas.

Aside from the modem, are there other parts of ICS that can interfere directly with GLONASS?

That's what I got too. But still better than UCLF6 modem. I have call ATT and Samsung and kept complain. They kept telling me to exchange the Note.

pTeronaut

May 28, 2012
Lafayette, IN
I have gone back to a UCLE2 ROM, and have my GPS back. (19 in view, 12 in use, Accuracy 10ft, courtesy of GPS Test installed on a clean install.)
I originally thought that it was something to do with the kernel, but I have installed h0tw1r3's latest kernel, and still have my gps.

So, at the moment, until I find more evidence, (I intend to re-install Electron's stock UCLF6 deodexed & rooted rom, along with a UCLE2 Modem) it is a combination of ROM & modem which is killing the GPS.

UPDATE:

GPS working with Electron's UCLF6 & a UCLE2 modem, Accurate to 10 ft, 20 satellites in view, 10 in use. Next to try OC kernel.

Update #2

Still working, now to mess with OC settings.

Update #3

Overclocked to 1.78Ghz, and undervolted by 50mV, GPS still functional.

Last edited:
Reactions: sdc177

motobiz

Oct 11, 2010
official ICS update broke GPS and LTE speeds

got the phone rooted and flashed the GB modem to fix the GPS, but LTE speeds is still an issue.

Reactions: sdc177

pTeronaut

May 28, 2012
Lafayette, IN
spoilerized for space.
I have gone back to a UCLE2 ROM, and have my GPS back. (19 in view, 12 in use, Accuracy 10ft, courtesy of GPS Test installed on a clean install.)
I originally thought that it was something to do with the kernel, but I have installed h0tw1r3's latest kernel, and still have my gps.

So, at the moment, until I find more evidence, (I intend to re-install Electron's stock UCLF6 deodexed & rooted rom, along with a UCLE2 Modem) it is a combination of ROM & modem which is killing the GPS.

UPDATE:

GPS working with Electron's UCLF6 & a UCLE2 modem, Accurate to 10 ft, 20 satellites in view, 10 in use. Next to try OC kernel.

Update #2

Still working, now to mess with OC settings.

Update #3

Overclocked to 1.78Ghz, and undervolted by 50mV, GPS still functional.

GPS still working after an app + data backup using titanium backup.

However, over an hour later, GPS was still seeing 20 satellites, but only using 1 -3 of them.

Wiped system & data, re-installed Electron's ULCF6 ROM & UCLE2 Modem, GPS working again.
Will leave phone this way for a couple of hours to test modem before restoring most used apps one by one to test GPS interference.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    GPS Tests GB / ICS (UCLF1/UCLF6)

Not sure if this helps anyone just thought I would add a few tests. Each test was conducted outside with clear skies in the Dallas / Fort Worth area. I did not modify the GPS.CONF (default file).
    Observations:
    - Saw a big difference in lock times on GB (UCLF6/UCLF1)
    - GB with UCLF1 had the best lock and satellites performance
    - When on the Black Star IV (UCLF1/UCLF6) SNR is higher on UCLF1
    - When on the Black Star IV UCLF1 satellite lock was 2 seconds quicker than UCLF6

Test 1: (GB / UCLF6)
    - Install GB (Gingerbread)
    - Update applications from Google Play
    - Wait a few minutes
    - Test GPS outside with GPS test
    Results = Slow GPS lock / Time – 1:34
    GB_UCLF6.jpg

Test 2: (GB / UCLF1) – Coming from Test 1
    - Flashed UCLF1 Modem
    - Wipe cache partition / Wipe Dalvik Cache
    - Wait a few minutes
    Results = Fast GPS lock & Picked Up More Satellites / Time – .04

GB_UCLF1.jpg

Test 3: (BLACK★STAR IV / UCLF6) – Coming from Test 2
    - Flashed Black Star IV ROM
    - Update applications from Google Play
    - Wait a few minutes
    Results = Fast GPS lock / Time – .04

BlackStarUCLF6.jpg

Test 4: (BLACK★STAR IV / UCLF1) – Coming from Test 3
    - Flashed UCLF1 Modem
    - Wait a few minutes
    Results = Fast GPS lock / Time – .02

BlackStarUCLF1.jpg
    Would you please point me to a source for the file I'd need to flash?

xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=28683752

Dl the one that says Gingerbread Modem Download

Saved and Texan by the Grace of God, Redneck by choice.
    I have similar symptoms on the official ICS, and requested a replacement. With a GB and ICS note side by side, I've done a bit of (non-technical) comparison testing using GPS Test.

Always observed:
    • When the ICS note won't lock on, the constellation map of satellites in view is completely wrong (way different from the GB note that has a lock)
    • When clearing the AGPS on the ICS note (up to 10 times), the constellation map will eventually refresh to match the GB phone map
    • When the ICS note has a constellation map that matches the GB note, the GPS lock is always instantaneous
    • Even with a lock on ICS, it struggles with GLONASS satellites, often only locking on 2 of 8 visible
    • Total purported visible satellites are identical across both phones

Sometimes observed:
    • Often the ICS note seems to ignore AGPS clear cache command. The incorrect map keeps blinking in, though after enough tries it actually will clear the cache.
    • When the ICS note has a lock, sometimes GPS will freeze up completely
    • (Hocus pocus?) Seems like the ICS phone's GPS has a better chance of locking on in the afternoon, whatever that means.

I haven't tried the gps.conf NTP fix, so I guess the GPS clock could have something to do with it? Could the AGPS actually be right, but the GPS is using a totally wrong time?

Being a total GPS noob, I have no idea what these symptoms mean, other than the fact that it smells like a low level software bug. :confused:
    Here's what I don't get: the T-Mobile version of the Note was just released with ICS, yet nobody's complaining about poor GPS performance that I can find. The reviews specifically mention locks in seconds like we get on Gingerbread.

With the new T-mobile Note I get a lock indoors like on my AT&T Note.
    I know. I'm asking you to try again if you have the same problem on your new phone. I'm pretty sure deep sleep is the problem for most people even if it didn't explain your original Note's performance.

Yep, I'll report back once I flash it.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda app-developers app