[BUG] Screen Sensitivity Issue-Lag (4.0.4-4.1.x)

Search This thread
Aug 26, 2008
Claud_face, can u provide the link of the version 4 aokp jelly bean rom,thanks a lot!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium

delf0s

Sep 7, 2010
Guadalajara
Quick question for everyone... Are you guys using stock keyboard?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda app-developers app

Feb 3, 2011
I also noticed problems with touch sensivity with JB update.

I'm using SwiftKey keyboard. But I also notice that the home, back and multitask soft buttons also suffer from this problem, so I don't think it is related to keyboard.

Enviado de meu Galaxy Nexus usando o Tapatalk 2

niacin77

May 9, 2012
I've capture my problem on my Nexus. What's problem? Touch screen or gravity sensor?

Mine was similar to yours. The bottom of the screen, especially the soft keys were affected. It would work a little better when held in hand. But would not work as well when it's on a flat surface. (Maybe the static electricity when hand-held has to do with it?)

I sent it out to Samsung for repair last week. Here's the email I just received:

Original Problem:
TECHNICAL INQUIRY - LCD / TOUCH PANEL / LED - TOUCH SCREEN NOT RESPONDING

Problem found:
TOUCHPAD FAILURE

Solution:
REPLACED LCD - REPLACED TOUCHPANEL

shrijith1

Mar 1, 2009
Bangalore
akarach and niacin77,

Few questions,

1) Do you see this problem all the time ? If so, whats the trigger to reproduce the issue ?
2) Does this problem go off when the screen is locked and unlocked ?

Mine was similar to yours. The bottom of the screen, especially the soft keys were affected. It would work a little better when held in hand. But would not work as well when it's on a flat surface. (Maybe the static electricity when hand-held has to do with it?)

I sent it out to Samsung for repair last week. Here's the email I just received:

Original Problem:
TECHNICAL INQUIRY - LCD / TOUCH PANEL / LED - TOUCH SCREEN NOT RESPONDING

Problem found:
TOUCHPAD FAILURE

Solution:
REPLACED LCD - REPLACED TOUCHPANEL

delf0s

Sep 7, 2010
Guadalajara
I've noticed that when you open certain apps it starts to happen. I also noticed that my phone got better when I installed SwiftKey. My original version is yakjuxw... I'm wondering if this has anything to do with it. Maybe there is a slight hardware difference from original yakju to other versions.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda app-developers app

chrisgtl

Feb 16, 2011
Rochdale
This is what i have just done;

Goto developer options, make sure developer options is enabled via toggle at top right.

Enable pointer location and use a solid black wallpaper so you can see the pointer trace better.

Swipe the top half of screen fast without taking your finger off. I get a solid blue squiggly line, no problems.

Then do the same on bottom half of screen, as soon as my finger starts swiping near the soft keys I get red lines and my squiggle breaks up.

Turning the screen off and on sometimes let's me squiggle constantly without any red lines but most of the time my lines break up if drawing over the soft keys.

This may sound silly but is it something to do with the google circle that appears when you hold down the middle soft key? Can we disable that function?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using XDA Premium App

niacin77

May 9, 2012
akarach and niacin77,

Few questions,

1) Do you see this problem all the time ? If so, whats the trigger to reproduce the issue ?

1) Didn't see it all the time. I don't know what triggers it. It seems to be working much better when my fingers are a bit sweaty though :)

2)Screen lock unlock didn't seem to help it. A reboot would help it for a bit though.

---------- Post added at 12:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:13 PM ----------

This is what i have just done;

Goto developer options, make sure developer options is enabled via toggle at top right.

Enable pointer location and use a solid black wallpaper so you can see the pointer trace better.

Swipe the top half of screen fast without taking your finger off. I get a solid blue squiggly line, no problems.

Then do the same on bottom half of screen, as soon as my finger starts swiping near the soft keys I get red lines and my squiggle breaks up.

Turning the screen off and on sometimes let's me squiggle constantly without any red lines but most of the time my lines break up if drawing over the soft keys.

This may sound silly but is it something to do with the google circle that appears when you hold down the middle soft key? Can we disable that function?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using XDA Premium App

I had done the same test before and encountered the same exact results you had. The touch sensitivity tapers off gradually towards the very bottom end of the screen. It almost feels like the curved screen has something to do with it..

I had the problem on 4.0.4 also, so I don't think the google circle is causing the issue.

shrijith1

Mar 1, 2009
Bangalore
Steps to reproduce the issue

I think I have nailed down one of the possible triggers for this issue to happen.

1) Open Messaging app.
2) Click on Home softkey.
3) Click on Task list softkey.
4) Select the messaging app.

You should be able to see the issue now.

Some points I have noticed:
1) I can register a touch with a minimum of 0.28 pointer.
2) With this issue I need approximately 0.39-0.40 for the touch to register.
3) The issue is slightly bad when I place the mobile on a flat surface, say table on a table, with messaging app in portrait mode.
4) In all the scenarios, mostly the soft keys are the ones, where the touch sensitivity issue is seen.

Can somebody check if they are able to reproduce the bug with the steps given ?

metal571

Apr 24, 2012
I figured out that the problem occurs only if you press on recent apps AND select an app from the recent apps menu. Otherwise, the touchscreen will act normally. Once you do that, you will have the issues. This is on a brand spanking new GNex direct from the Play Store that just hit my doorstep a few hours ago after updating to 4.1.1. Someone needs to report this...

akarach

Apr 20, 2011
Nonthaburi
akarach and niacin77,

Few questions,

> 1. Not all time. Just sometimes but ofter. Previously I don't how to trig this issue till I read your comment.

> 2. Yes, it gone when I locked screen and unlocked.

Last edited:

metal571

Apr 24, 2012
I think I have nailed down one of the possible triggers for this issue to happen.

1) Open Messaging app.
2) Click on Home softkey.
3) Click on Task list softkey.
4) Select the messaging app.

You should be able to see the issue now.

Some points I have noticed:
1) I can register a touch with a minimum of 0.28 pointer.
2) With this issue I need approximately 0.39-0.40 for the touch to register.
3) The issue is slightly bad when I place the mobile on a flat surface, say table on a table, with messaging app in portrait mode.
4) In all the scenarios, mostly the soft keys are the ones, where the touch sensitivity issue is seen.

Can somebody check if they are able to reproduce the bug with the steps given ?

I see the issue everywhere after the first 4 steps here. After you select something from the recent apps, the problem begins, and I can't type fast anymore without a huge number of missed keypresses until I lock and unlock the screen again, after which the phone goes back to normal until I use the recent apps key to select another recent app again, then the issue occurs again until I lock/unlock. It's a cycle, and that's definitely the trigger.

dark06

Aug 8, 2011
San Antonio
Tried for a week not using the recent apps and it still gets the issue.i can trigger it 100% when browsing may pics scrolling really fast.also happens more frequently when using xda prem app

fod

metal571

Apr 24, 2012
Try this:

1: unlock phone
2: tap the home button a ton of times, it should register almost every time if not every single time.
3: hit the recent app button and go to any other recent app that was open already.
4: go back to the home screen (i find i have to press the home button twice to even get there at this point)
5: now tap the home button quickly and repeatedly again

I find that the home button only registers if i press pretty hard now, otherwise it never registers my touch at all. Anyone else?

Reactions: franciscojunior

shrijith1

Mar 1, 2009
Bangalore
Yes, I can confirm this. So, looks like selecting a running app using the "recent apps softkey" is one of the most common trigger. Now, how can this be a hardware issue if this goes away by locking and unlocking ?

People who are getting replacement for this - can somebody let us know if the new unit doesnt have this ?

Try this:

1: unlock phone
2: tap the home button a ton of times, it should register almost every time if not every single time.
3: hit the recent app button and go to any other recent app that was open already.
4: go back to the home screen (i find i have to press the home button twice to even get there at this point)
5: now tap the home button quickly and repeatedly again

I find that the home button only registers if i press pretty hard now, otherwise it never registers my touch at all. Anyone else?

Reactions: metal571

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Problem summary
    Known cause (might be others): selecting an app from the Recents list (Task Switcher)
    Temporary fix: turn the screen off, then back on
    Workaround: avoid using Recents list (you can use a 3rd party task switcher instead)

How to test: open Messaging, hit Home, hit Recents, select Messaging from the list. Your screen will be less sensitive until you turn the screen off and back on. You can view the pressure by going to Settings -> Developer Options -> turn on Pointer Location. This will allow you to see the Prs of each tap in your status bar. Normally your lightest taps that register will show anywhere from 0.28 to 0.32. However, after this bug is activated, you will mostly get values over 0.40 for your light taps. This is actually a very noticeable increase, especially when trying to type quickly.

Please report any other known methods to "activate" this bug. After re-assigning my Recents button to a 3rd party app (I'm using Simple Task Switcher), I haven't seen this bug at all. It seems that a couple of people have seen it produced by something other than Recents, but they haven't narrowed it down (or reliably reproduced it on purpose).

Please star this issue officially so Google can fix:
    Link is http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=29734

Note: Downloading & using Screen filter application from play store, with brightness set to
    Summary of the issue and possible workaround

I updated the thread title. Let me know if you'd like it changed more.

Would you mind including some of the recently discovered info about what seems to cause it and possible workarounds? You can copy/paste this if you want:

Known cause (might be others): selecting an app from the Recents list (Task Switcher)
    Temporary fix: turn the screen off, then back on
    Workaround: avoid using Recents list (you can use a 3rd party task switcher instead)

How to test: open Messaging, hit Home, hit Recents, select Messaging from the list. Your screen will be less sensitive until you turn the screen off and back on. You can view the pressure by going to Settings -> Developer Options -> turn on Pointer Location. This will allow you to see the Prs of each tap in your status bar. Normally your lightest taps that register will show anywhere from 0.28 to 0.32. However, after this bug is activated, you will mostly get values over 0.40 for your light taps. This is actually a very noticeable increase, especially when trying to type quickly.

Please report any other known methods to "activate" this bug. After re-assigning my Recents button to a 3rd party app (I'm using Simple Task Switcher), I haven't seen this bug at all. It seems that a couple of people have seen it produced by something other than Recents, but they haven't narrowed it down (or reliably reproduced it on purpose).
    I'm so glad I was able to find out this solution and others were able to confirm it worked for them. This bug was driving me INSANE.

I found out the solution by noticing that when I flashed AK kernel the bug would be gone (because after new kernel it changed the gamma setting) and whenever I changed my screen profile via trickster mod the bug would return. Then through process of elimination of changing each color setting I was able to pinpoint the gamma control.

Now I'm curious. How does PA rom not experience this bug? Users are able to control their gamma using a variety of kernels as well right? I think somewhere in omapzoom must lie the answer.

What do you guys think?
    jeffwei8 said:
    Hi,

Sorry for spamming you with this message but just wondering if you could help us out.

Some of us are interested in what you have done specifically to PA rom that has gotten rid of the sensitivity/input lag that we're all experiencing with JB roms.

We have found that so far your rom is the only one that does not have the problem where there is significant input/touch lag after using either the multitasking recent button on the gnex, or just from the use of random apps. It seems that on other roms the problem can only be fixed by turning off the screen and turning it back on. However, with PA the bug does not exist at all. So far we've tried to narrow it down to either the kernel or rom or certain apps without much success. We only know that your rom is the only one that seems unaffected/fixed. Stock rom, and all other variants of cm10 are all affected.

Here's the thread where we are discussing it:
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=31811490#post31811490

If you have the time, please share your thoughts in that thread.
    Thanks!

what we did wont affect it so much, im coming to that in a second. my theory is that aosp does still leak, but how the effects of it will emerge and when i have no idea, seems random. i have had problems in the past, then i sync my stuff, reflash and its suddenly gone. i did not include the surface flinger fix because it would introduce a new dependency that would be very hard to watch and maintain. i am still waiting for source code and statements from either aosp or cm regarding that issue. if they think its clean, i will assume the same - at least if its seemingly the case on my own device, and it does run fluid currently.

tabUI is another story. if you run tabUI in PA you cant compare it with other roms because they all have honeycomb android 3.0 implementations, just the way google shipped it. google has left the whole codebase untouched, project butter is for phone and phabUI only. i ported project butter 4.1 + Gpu rendering to tabUI in PA, our recents are therefore running considerably faster and theres no lag. heres the first commit that started it: https://github.com/ParanoidAndroid/...mmit/8351bfede34e566f83824b0c82e7e15d4fdc790b several others refine it afterwards. we're currently doing the same for the whole systembar, which at this point is still cpu rendered by aosp default. i doubt though that this has much to do with the issue at large as it applies to tabUI only.
    No sifting required. Read my posts on this page alone and you're pretty much up to date. 4.1.2 has nothing to do with it, all I'm asking is you make a nandroid then flash back to 4.0.4 since that's where our testing has to take place. If you want to help, the instructions and flashable zip are in that post of mine that I quoted, very simple. It's neither hard nor dangerous, just requires a little bit of time. I'd do it myself I'd I could, I already did the legwork to see which binaries work on which versions, I just need someone with the bug in severity (since I don't) to do the next part.

I will help. tell me what to do? should I flash stock 4.0.4? I had this issue for the longest time. so let me help the community :D

Edit: I am flashing stock 4.0.4 and then I will flash the attached file of binaries. I will report back.

Sent from Nexus Prime