How to switch ROM with maintaining Root + data

Search This thread

dr.ketan

Recognized Developer / Recognized Contributor
Here is guide for ROM switching and flashing/updating ROM with keeping Root & Data management.

ROM switching :

attachment.php

There are guide already available on stock ROM thread, but here i am showing how to switch ROM and How to update ROM in day to day with keeping Root and data intact. Hope this can be great help for newbies.

ROM Switching
There are lots of inquiries around regarding switching ROM. Here I have attached graphical representation, which can be helpful to decide your way to go.
Here I have divided guide in 4 parts
A.Backup data
B.Flashing Pre rooted ROM
C.Switch ROM using Mobile Odin Pro
D.Restore Data

A.Backup Data :
If you have non rooted device then you have limited option for this.Mybackup Pro also have some option for non root user too.

If you have rooted device then it will be at great help for you. Commonly used application is Titanium Backup and Mybackup Pro

In sort Titanium is feature rich, Mybackup is easy to use. I will discuss TB here in detail
What to backup first time?
when using first time, this option is good - 'Backup all user all + syst data' This will takes backup of all System data like contacts,SMS,call logs etc as well it includes all the applications you have installed along with data e.g. levels of game, app requires credential (you have to select app+data option while backup) - See image below
After this you can ad schedule for day to day auto backup. see image below i have scheduled it to take backup of system data once in a wk while any application i will install, that will be backup 5 days a wk. But this is highly configurable and you can set it according your needs.

attachment.php
attachment.php

Now lets starts with switching to Stock GB ROM from any ROM you have installed.

Starting from Any ROM you are having, if you want to move to stock rooted GB ROM then easiest way is to Flash pre rooted ROM
How to ?
1.Download This ROM
2.Extract file and Flash using PC odin.
File and tab selection is shown in image below PS :File name in PDA tab will be different,here is demonstration purpose)

odin.jpg

If you can't see image above, click This

After successfull flashing device will be rebooted, and you may experience Force closed OR stuck at samsung logo. This is normal perticularly you are switching from custom/ICS ROM
Reboot device in recovery and wipe cache and wipe data.
You will have stock GB ROM + Root + CWM at end.

From here you can flash any custom ROMs require base ROM GB. using recovery.

OK Now next step

Switching from Rooted stock GB ROM / Rooted ICS ROM to another Stock GB/Stock ICS ROM with keeping Root intact.

Here you needs Mobile Odin Pro.

How to :

C.Switching ROM using Mobile Odin Pro

1.Download desired stock ROM from here and extract to .tar
2.Download custom kernel in .tar (odin version) according to your selected ROM. Here is kernel repository by chasmodo worth to look.
3.Copy above ROM and kernel files to Int SD card(recommend internal, but you can use Ext SD too)
4.Install Mobile Odin Pro, and open. (if you opening it first time, it will ask to doenload flasher file of abt 8MB)
PS:Here below image is diagramatic representation of flashung LRG ROM + Notecore kernel

5. select 'Open file' (see image)

attachment.php

6.Point to ROM file which you have copied to SD card
7.It will popup and all field will be filled automatically
8.Select Kernel tab and point to custom kernel file you have copied to SD card (see image)

attachment.php

9.tick 'Enable ever root' and 'Inject superuser(super SU) -(see image)

attachment.php

10. Flash firmware

attachment.php

Device will reboot in recovery and flash ROM, and of successful flashing it will reboot normally

11.Reboot in recovery
Wipe cache, wipe delvic cache and wipe data

Now your device is updated to your desired ROM + Root + Custom Kernel with advanced recovery.

D.Restore data :
-Add google a/c to newly flashed device and download Titanium backup
-Avoid system junk to restore(red colored), you can restore call logs/SMS
-select this option to restore 'Restore missing app + data'

attachment.php

-In next screen of list of missing application, look for any application you dont need, as well untick any application listed, which was a part of system application of previous ROM
-It will finish restoring of you app with data
Reboot after finish
And you are ready to play with device with New ROM.

Hope this will help newbies ........................
GusLuck!
and Happy Flashing.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2012-08-05-17-25-07.jpg
    Screenshot_2012-08-05-17-25-07.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 8,710
  • Screenshot_2012-08-05-17-25-27.jpg
    Screenshot_2012-08-05-17-25-27.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 8,587
  • Screenshot_2012-08-05-13-06-28.jpg
    Screenshot_2012-08-05-13-06-28.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 8,619
  • Screenshot_2012-08-05-13-06-39.jpg
    Screenshot_2012-08-05-13-06-39.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 8,842
  • Screenshot_2012-08-05-13-06-45.jpg
    Screenshot_2012-08-05-13-06-45.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 8,599
  • Screenshot_2012-08-05-18-15-21.jpg
    Screenshot_2012-08-05-18-15-21.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 8,598
Last edited:

krishkamlesh

Feb 14, 2011
Vadodara
Dear Ketan,

Now I have to learn this from you...

You are really marvelous man with great explanatory skills....

Thanks for this... I was thinking to learn such only...

Sent from my GT-N7000 using xda app-developers app

kevinhwc

Oct 8, 2005
Hi Dr Ketan

The guide is great. I have a question. I'm on a stock rooted 4.0.3 and would like to upgrade to 4.0.4. How can I do it using mobile Odin pro and keeping my data intact? Can I use the non wipe ROM in your other thread and then check on the everroot and inject superuser option?

dr.ketan

Hi Dr Ketan

The guide is great. I have a question. I'm on a stock rooted 4.0.3 and would like to upgrade to 4.0.4. How can I do it using mobile Odin pro and keeping my data intact? Can I use the non wipe ROM in your other thread and then check on the everroot and inject superuser option?

Just follow STEP C in above guide.
All ICS ROM are non wipe. yes keep ever root and super user inject enable.
Just wipe cache and delvec cahe post flash to keep ur data intact.

Coolkriss

Jan 4, 2012
Hyderabad
Thanks again Dr.Ketan .. Liked the full pictorial representation .. i always lost my data while moving between ROM's .. but was happy with what i was getting from Google (contacts and old apps list) ..
Now that this guide is there I will prepare myself with better backups..
Thanks again

---------- Post added at 07:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:49 PM ----------

Is there anyway to do the full process using only PC Odin and eliminating the need of Mobile Odin Pro..
I personally dont like to spend money on the app ..

kevinhwc

Oct 8, 2005
Thanks Dr Ketan.

Another question. For custom kernal, any ICS kernal in the chasmodo thread will do?

---------- Post added at 02:33 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:23 AM ----------

Another noob question...

Why do I need a custom Kernal? The stock ROM file that was downloaded already have a kernal inside right? If needed, I have chosen the official CM9 kernal "Kernel_CM9_20120806_CWM_Flashable.zip". Is that ok? i've repack this to .tar using filzip software.

Also, can I select the inject Mobile ODIN as well when flashing?

Last edited:

dr.ketan

this guide is great,

the best way to flash ICS custom Rom is back to Pre rooted Rom.

Ps: Dr, I can't load image on step B
Fixed :)

Thanks Dr Ketan.

Another question. For custom kernal, any ICS kernal in the chasmodo thread will do?

---------- Post added at 02:33 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:23 AM ----------

Another noob question...

Why do I need a custom Kernal? The stock ROM file that was downloaded already have a kernal inside right? If needed, I have chosen the official CM9 kernal "Kernel_CM9_20120806_CWM_Flashable.zip". Is that ok? i've repack this to .tar using filzip software.

Also, can I select the inject Mobile ODIN as well when flashing?
You hav to go for TW based ICS kernel

CM9 won't work
as i said mobile odin need kernel in .tar file. zip format won't work.

kevinhwc

Oct 8, 2005
Hi Dr.

Can I not choose a kernal and just flast the stock rom with everroot, inject superuser and inject mobile odin selected?

---------- Post added at 06:54 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:49 AM ----------

If I must choose a kernal, can I use Notecore 12?

I'll be upgrading to the ROM below. Will the kernal from Notecore work?

N7000DXLR2---4.0.4/12.07.09-N7000OLBLR1---Download--- Singapore (StarHub)

Last edited:

dr.ketan

Hi Dr.

Can I not choose a kernal and just flast the stock rom with everroot, inject superuser and inject mobile odin selected?

---------- Post added at 06:54 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:49 AM ----------

If I must choose a kernal, can I use Notecore 12?

I'll be upgrading to the ROM below. Will the kernal from Notecore work?

N7000DXLR2---4.0.4/12.07.09-N7000OLBLR1---Download--- Singapore (StarHub)

If you don't choose kernel, then your device will be rooted but won't have safe kernel. So you you have to not to wipe anything b'coz your kernel will not have emmc brick bug driver disabled. In short i don't recommend it.

yes notecore kernel .tar version will work

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Here is guide for ROM switching and flashing/updating ROM with keeping Root & Data management.

ROM switching :

attachment.php

There are guide already available on stock ROM thread, but here i am showing how to switch ROM and How to update ROM in day to day with keeping Root and data intact. Hope this can be great help for newbies.

ROM Switching
    There are lots of inquiries around regarding switching ROM. Here I have attached graphical representation, which can be helpful to decide your way to go.
    Here I have divided guide in 4 parts
    A.Backup data
    C.Switch ROM using Mobile Odin Pro
    D.Restore Data

A.Backup Data :
    If you have non rooted device then you have limited option for this.Mybackup Pro also have some option for non root user too.

If you have rooted device then it will be at great help for you. Commonly used application is Titanium Backup and Mybackup Pro

In sort Titanium is feature rich, Mybackup is easy to use. I will discuss TB here in detail
    What to backup first time?
    when using first time, this option is good - 'Backup all user all + syst data' This will takes backup of all System data like contacts,SMS,call logs etc as well it includes all the applications you have installed along with data e.g. levels of game, app requires credential (you have to select app+data option while backup) - See image below
    After this you can ad schedule for day to day auto backup. see image below i have scheduled it to take backup of system data once in a wk while any application i will install, that will be backup 5 days a wk. But this is highly configurable and you can set it according your needs.

attachment.php
    attachment.php

Now lets starts with switching to Stock GB ROM from any ROM you have installed.

Starting from Any ROM you are having, if you want to move to stock rooted GB ROM then easiest way is to Flash pre rooted ROM
    How to ?
    1.Download This ROM
    2.Extract file and Flash using PC odin.
    File and tab selection is shown in image below PS :File name in PDA tab will be different,here is demonstration purpose)

odin.jpg

If you can't see image above, click This

After successfull flashing device will be rebooted, and you may experience Force closed OR stuck at samsung logo. This is normal perticularly you are switching from custom/ICS ROM
    Reboot device in recovery and wipe cache and wipe data.
    You will have stock GB ROM + Root + CWM at end.

From here you can flash any custom ROMs require base ROM GB. using recovery.

OK Now next step

Switching from Rooted stock GB ROM / Rooted ICS ROM to another Stock GB/Stock ICS ROM with keeping Root intact.

Here you needs Mobile Odin Pro.

How to :

C.Switching ROM using Mobile Odin Pro

1.Download desired stock ROM from here and extract to .tar
    2.Download custom kernel in .tar (odin version) according to your selected ROM. Here is kernel repository by chasmodo worth to look.
    3.Copy above ROM and kernel files to Int SD card(recommend internal, but you can use Ext SD too)
    4.Install Mobile Odin Pro, and open. (if you opening it first time, it will ask to doenload flasher file of abt 8MB)
    PS:Here below image is diagramatic representation of flashung LRG ROM + Notecore kernel

5. select 'Open file' (see image)

attachment.php

6.Point to ROM file which you have copied to SD card
    7.It will popup and all field will be filled automatically
    8.Select Kernel tab and point to custom kernel file you have copied to SD card (see image)

attachment.php

9.tick 'Enable ever root' and 'Inject superuser(super SU) -(see image)

attachment.php

10. Flash firmware

attachment.php

Device will reboot in recovery and flash ROM, and of successful flashing it will reboot normally

11.Reboot in recovery
    Wipe cache, wipe delvic cache and wipe data

Now your device is updated to your desired ROM + Root + Custom Kernel with advanced recovery.

D.Restore data :
    -Add google a/c to newly flashed device and download Titanium backup
    -Avoid system junk to restore(red colored), you can restore call logs/SMS
    -select this option to restore 'Restore missing app + data'

attachment.php

-In next screen of list of missing application, look for any application you dont need, as well untick any application listed, which was a part of system application of previous ROM
    -It will finish restoring of you app with data
    Reboot after finish
    And you are ready to play with device with New ROM.

Hope this will help newbies ........................
    GusLuck!
    and Happy Flashing.
    Many thanks! The graphical presentation is excellent!

Thnx, but can you edit your post and remove full quoting? it is just waste of space dear.
    i hit thanx every time i see ur name on a posts
    :D

:good:
    This time i did :good:
    reserved......
    very helpful guide .. i hit thanx every time i see ur name on a posts
    :D

the best thing is not loosing game levels hahahaha

:good: