• No

Votes: 5 45.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Search This thread

nicholasb

Nov 7, 2006
Oregon
Great idea, but there are a couple of issues that you should realize...

The biggest issue, i think, is that work environments are not generally torrent friendly. Meaning the protocol is blocked or you will have a nasty visit from one of your security admins.

Next, people just don't understand it. While its a terrific way or distributing large files, it has the stigma that its only used for pirating. And, you would have to deal with everybody's individual client choice and poor configurations and inability to download.

Being able to download a file via standard http/ftp protocols has its definite advantages.

txmtb

Jan 13, 2012
I really only have 1 ISP choice and I downloaded a game via torrent, a legal download btw. The next day my ISP called and said my service had been suspended because of torrent activity on my line. I had to give them all the information on the website so they could look it up and verify it was legal before they would reinstate my service. Talk about big brother watching you. I haven't even touched it since then. My setup was even using port ranges outside the normal ones just for that reason.

pantheis

Dec 28, 2009
A friend of mine's kid DL'd a movie from a torrent. In the file was a bunch of chunks of data that got put together into a compiler that built a virus that ended up torching his hard drive. No thanks.

Hastily spouted for your befuddlement

This right here just shows how much people don't understand bittorrent. This isn't the fault of bittorrent. This is the fault of downloading and running an infected file on the computer. Bittorrent won't cause data to be suddenly executed and build a virus. Bittorrent is a protocol much like FTP or HTTP.

Coug76

Feb 27, 2011
East of Seattle
While you are correct that it is a protocol to transfer data it is also widely associated with piracy and malware. The distributed nature of the protocol makes shutting down bad actors very difficult to do. It is a haven for malware and pirated content that implicates every seeded device as a distributor. I avoid torrents like the plague.

HappyKhicken

Jul 30, 2009
While you are correct that it is a protocol to transfer data it is also widely associated with piracy and malware. The distributed nature of the protocol makes shutting down bad actors very difficult to do. It is a haven for malware and pirated content that implicates every seeded device as a distributor. I avoid torrents like the plague.

Now I also believe you don't understand how torrents work...

ekoee

Aug 22, 2011
It looks good on paper, but in practice it doesn't work out too well. My ISP was able to track torrent/filesharing software on my computer. I didn't even know they could do that.

txmtb

Jan 13, 2012
Just goes to show that unless you use a VPN to encrypt your data stream, they can capture whatever passes through them. The wireless carriers can capture your voice and data streams as it passes through them.

Etrick

Oct 16, 2010
Indiana
plus.google.com
I would guess the biggest problem with torrents are the roms are updated and too many old versions will be floating around and tracking the downloads would be difficult for a developer who wants to know how his or her rom is being utilized. Atorrent for android is only available via sideloading and getting a legitimate torrent client is difficult, and using a bittorrent client for pc would be required. Add in issues with md5 mismatches and what not and you might as well wait on a slow download...

Sent from my myTouch_4G_Slide using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: ac3theone

bevanweiss

Aug 9, 2012
I would guess the biggest problem with torrents are the roms are updated and too many old versions will be floating around and tracking the downloads would be difficult for a developer who wants to know how his or her rom is being utilized. Atorrent for android is only available via sideloading and getting a legitimate torrent client is difficult, and using a bittorrent client for pc would be required. Add in issues with md5 mismatches and what not and you might as well wait on a slow download...

I agree, although I do like the approach of torrents, in particular the more distributed nature (and less bandwidth considerations), I don't believe this is the right application for a 'torrent' implementation.

I do quite like the recent site that has come up offering OTA updates for more custom ROMs. I think a centralised server with push type update notifications would be a much better implementation than just allowing retrieval of ROMs via torrent :)

Maybe there could be some combination of the two however... since I would expect that the OTA people will quickly run into financing issues related to paying for the bandwidth. I'm not so interested in my ROM downloads being possibly altered with advertising and such just so the company can stay afloat.

gtmaster303

Oct 19, 2010
A friend of mine's kid DL'd a movie from a torrent. In the file was a bunch of chunks of data that got put together into a compiler that built a virus that ended up torching his hard drive. No thanks.

I have never encountered a virus that's been disguised as a video file. And I download videos all the time. Unless you're really stupid enough to open a file called TheDarkKnightRises720pDVDRip.exe
Then you're just asking for it

Last edited:

Coug76

Feb 27, 2011
East of Seattle
I have never encountered a virus that's been disguised as a video file. And I download videos all the time. Unless you're really stupid enough to open a file called TheDarkKnightRises720pDVDRip.exe
Then you're just asking for it

I have no idea what it was. I have no reason to doubt his account though.

gtmaster303

Oct 19, 2010
Honestly I've never had any problems with torrents. To the point that I've forgone anti virus on the computer all together.

If you really think about it, malicious software is self inflicted. As long as you don't install anything you don't know about, you are fine. Been running bare for the past year no problem

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    No torrents for this cowboy. I prefer not giving my devices VD.