Logitech Tablet Keyboard for Android Review

Search This thread

theomni

Oct 19, 2008
Hello everyone. This is a quick writeup/review on the LG Keyboard. I'm typing this up from the keyboard, in fact!

Pros:
1) First off, let me say that the build quality is excellent! The keyboard looks and feels like its made from some expensive and premium plastic. It has sort of a metallic look to it.
2) They keyboard is small however the keys are big and spacious enough.You can carry this easily in a bag, since it has a flat profile and a keyboard case to go with it. The keyboard case also doubles as a stand for your tablet fr those of you going commando and not wanting to put a case on it.
3) As for typing: The keys are chiclet raised style keys. They are spaced apart and big enough to type on comfortably.
4) There is absolutely no lag whatsoever between typing the character and it appearing on the screen. Sometimes, however, there are missed keys, as in you'll have to hit a letter twice before it appears. This occurs very rarely and also depends on how much of a "wirelessly" busy area you are in.
5) When using this keyboard, it behaves exactly like a desktop keyboard. As in, when you're type on a form with multiple fields, and you press tab or shift+tab, you move from one field to the next. Hitting spacebar on a radio button or a check mark box allows you to check that area off. Alt+Tabbing is also programmed in.You can hit Ctrl+T to open a new tab. There are plenty more, but these are the few that I've noticed that I thought I should mention.
I don't know if thats the result of programming on the keyboard or the OS that does this, but its still awesome either way.
6) Full volume control as well as the ability to pause, play, skip and go back on playlists.

Cons
1) The keyboard has a number of Fn function keys, each of which calls up a specific app. There is one for email, web browser, calendar, and music. As for email, I'm using the AOSP email app, and when pressing that button, nothing happens. This might be different with other people who are using other types of email apps.
2) The web browser isn't called either

Others: This might be good or bad depending on the person

1) As for calendar, only the stock calendar is launched
2) I've set my default music playing app to Player Pro, however when pressing this, it only brings up the music app installed from google. However, to be fair, I must say that after you have a playlist going, regardless of which music player your using, you can still control the playlist (pause, play, skip, go to previous song, etc)
3) I've been typing on this with wireless on and music playing. In the past 30 minutes, battery has gone down by about 7%.

Conclusion:
I should mention that this keyboard was sold for Android 3.0+, however it was intended for 3.0. As such, it isn't 100% compatible with 4.1.1 (I'd say its 95% :p). Hopefully someone can figure out a way on mapping the some of the keys that weren't working. Regardless, the doesn't stop this from being a good keyboard and an excellent buy if you're someone who needs a physical keyboard and types a lot.

Pictures
IMG_5979-Copy.jpg

IMG_5980-Copy.jpg

IMG_5981.jpg

IMG_5983.jpg

IMG_5984.jpg

Video:
WARNING: I was using a heavy DSLR camera one handed while recording this video...so as a result, there's more shaking and moving of the camera than I would have hoped so you may get a headache or some motion sickness :(.
Regardless, the video is still good enough to showcase the virtues of this keyboard!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-plXnQA-KlE&feature=youtu.be

Further comments:
Please let me know if you have any questions or anything specific. I did my best in making this review and presenting pictures, so if you think there's something still missing, just post here.

Attachments

• IMAG0279.jpg
    IMAG0279.jpg
    237.4 KB · Views: 1,756
Last edited:

nickles96

Mar 14, 2008
Nice writeup. Been lookin for a reason to get this. My HP touchpad Bluetooth keyboard just doesn't cut it working on android.
A little shocking about your battery drop like that in only 30 minutes.. any improvement or change with this, now that you are using it more?
Been eyeing up the refurbished ones on eBay for $33.00.
Can you post more pics with the cover on it? Next to the 7 ?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Xparent SkyBlue Tapatalk 2

Midnitte

Jun 17, 2010
New Jersey
I should mention that this keyboard was sold for Android 3.0+, however it was intended for 3.0. As such, it isn't 100% compatible with 4.1.1 (I'd say its 95% :p). Hopefully someone can figure out a way on mapping the some of the keys that weren't working. Regardless, the doesn't stop this from being a good keyboard and an excellent buy if you're someone who needs a physical keyboard and types a lot.

Perhaps you should take a look at this? http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=159538

theomni

Oct 19, 2008
Ah, thank you!
But in order for that method to work, you need to be rooted and install a few APKs. I was hoping to do this without cluttering my apps drawer.

Edit: New pictures have been added to the original post. As of right now, I'm uploading a video onto youtube on the keyboard and typing. However, I MUST warn you all: I tried looking back at my camera work and I realized there's quite a bit of movement. I kinda got motion sick and have a headache (lol) so this is a fair warning to you. Just skip around throughout the video.

ajpettit

Mar 13, 2009
i have the chance to get the ipad variant of this quite cheaply (can't find the android version in the uk anyway)
does anyone know if the ipad version would work with android?

khaytsus

Apr 8, 2008
Central Kentucky
i have the chance to get the ipad variant of this quite cheaply (can't find the android version in the uk anyway)

It works, my wife has one. I had some weirdness the first time I connected it, the shift key kept "sticking" but after that it was okay. Control, Alt works.. Some of the media stuff works, including launching some stock apps.. Overall it was okay once it started working right, not sure if it'll happen randomly or just that "first time".

Android will have more Android-specific functions, like Home, Back, Recents, etc... but you can mostly get by on the keyboard, especially if you don't mind poking the screen now and then.

Reactions: ajpettit

Nippero

Oct 13, 2008
New York, NY
Nice writeup. Been lookin for a reason to get this. My HP touchpad Bluetooth keyboard just doesn't cut it working on android.
A little shocking about your battery drop like that in only 30 minutes.. any improvement or change with this, now that you are using it more?
Been eyeing up the refurbished ones on eBay for $33.00.
Can you post more pics with the cover on it? Next to the 7 ?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Xparent SkyBlue Tapatalk 2

I've been eyeing the same thing, except on amazon. lol

OP: Can you open a note taking app and take a picture of the setup from normal typing distance?
I want to get this keyboard so I can take some notes in class, but my main concern was that I wouldn't be able to see the text or I would have to magnify so much that barely any text fits on the screen at a time.

(Yea, Transformer is better for this, but this is only one of many things I want to do. And I feel the N7 is better for.. everything else. lol)

theomni

Oct 19, 2008

OP: Can you open a note taking app and take a picture of the setup from normal typing distance?
I want to get this keyboard so I can take some notes in class, but my main concern was that I wouldn't be able to see the text or I would have to magnify so much that barely any text fits on the screen at a time.

(Yea, Transformer is better for this, but this is only one of many things I want to do. And I feel the N7 is better for.. everything else. lol)

Sure. I'll do it tomorrow night.
However, I can tell you that if you use this like a laptop, you can easily read and see the text.

Reactions: Nippero

theomni

Oct 19, 2008

Sorry, I just realized what you were saying.
As far as normal typing distance is concerned, why don't you put your tablet at various distances and see if you can read it. I'd imagine this would be a personal thing that is different from person to person.

randroid123

Sep 13, 2010
I just got mine in the mail. Perfect plug and play functionality! The browser shortcut button DOES work with the AOSP browser! For some reason the email shortcut isnt linking to either my gmail or to my email cliemt - may try to manually map this later. Otherwise the keyboard is perfectly responsive, portable size while maintaining the full sized keyboard feel. I love it :) Highly recomend it to anyone looking for a portable bluetooth keyboard for their N7!

Valdd

Sep 13, 2012
Paris, ON
Hi there. I'm new here and this is my first post.

This keyboard is surprisingly good. I originally wanted a keyboard folio but they are too small. I gave the Logitech one a chance and I'm very happy with the responsiveness and the overall feel. I touch type so I need the keys to feel a certain way to type properly and this keyboard works very well.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app

Havocx23

Apr 27, 2012
Ft. Lauterdale, FL
I have the same keyboard I absolutely love it! Give it a 9/10 for pretty much the exact reasons in the OP. I got mine on ebay as a factory refurbished for $30 shipped and it works perfectly! Battery last a long time too on a few AAAs I would definitely recommend this to anyone who likes to have a physical keyboard!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

fake_faced

Sep 4, 2011
Logitech Tablet Keyboards review for android and for Ipad tested with PC

Hi guys,

I bought both the ipad version and android version of the keyboard and did some comparison using IPAD3, NEXUS 7, and Windows 7 PC.
Please have a look at it and let me know if you have any questions

I cant seem to post video because I am new so please copy and paste

"/watch?v=7F_VhaE3xrQ&list=UUvhoR5J6mXRNCLDfEmYsDjA&index=1&feature=plcp" after typing in youtube.com
or
search for "logitech tablet keyboard for android and ipad function" and look for TH0RFan

Its a bit long-winded but I did specify on comment which device is tested so you can fast foward to particular sections.

I wish I had better video capturing equipment but for the time being my SD1300 will have to do.

Cheers,

Jay Aristide

Jun 27, 2011
Dyer, Tennessee
www.daede.com
This keyboard gave me trouble to the point I gave up on it and sold it. It would timeout quickly, fail to pair about 30% of the time, and ddđooooooooooo tttttthhhhiiiiiiiiiiiiiissss nnoooowww annnnnnnnddddd tthheennnnnnnnnnn.

Several calls to Logitech later and I decided to just get rid of it.

PcFish

Jul 13, 2010
Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra
My brother got this for his Tab 10.1 and I tried it out on my Nexus. It works great. Perfect sized keys, feels good when typing. I even played GTA III with it. He told me battery life is awesome on it. He has to recharge once every 3 months.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello everyone. This is a quick writeup/review on the LG Keyboard. I'm typing this up from the keyboard, in fact!

Pros:
    1) First off, let me say that the build quality is excellent! The keyboard looks and feels like its made from some expensive and premium plastic. It has sort of a metallic look to it.
    2) They keyboard is small however the keys are big and spacious enough.You can carry this easily in a bag, since it has a flat profile and a keyboard case to go with it. The keyboard case also doubles as a stand for your tablet fr those of you going commando and not wanting to put a case on it.
    3) As for typing: The keys are chiclet raised style keys. They are spaced apart and big enough to type on comfortably.
    4) There is absolutely no lag whatsoever between typing the character and it appearing on the screen. Sometimes, however, there are missed keys, as in you'll have to hit a letter twice before it appears. This occurs very rarely and also depends on how much of a "wirelessly" busy area you are in.
    5) When using this keyboard, it behaves exactly like a desktop keyboard. As in, when you're type on a form with multiple fields, and you press tab or shift+tab, you move from one field to the next. Hitting spacebar on a radio button or a check mark box allows you to check that area off. Alt+Tabbing is also programmed in.You can hit Ctrl+T to open a new tab. There are plenty more, but these are the few that I've noticed that I thought I should mention.
    I don't know if thats the result of programming on the keyboard or the OS that does this, but its still awesome either way.
    6) Full volume control as well as the ability to pause, play, skip and go back on playlists.

Cons
    1) The keyboard has a number of Fn function keys, each of which calls up a specific app. There is one for email, web browser, calendar, and music. As for email, I'm using the AOSP email app, and when pressing that button, nothing happens. This might be different with other people who are using other types of email apps.
    2) The web browser isn't called either

Others: This might be good or bad depending on the person

1) As for calendar, only the stock calendar is launched
    2) I've set my default music playing app to Player Pro, however when pressing this, it only brings up the music app installed from google. However, to be fair, I must say that after you have a playlist going, regardless of which music player your using, you can still control the playlist (pause, play, skip, go to previous song, etc)
    3) I've been typing on this with wireless on and music playing. In the past 30 minutes, battery has gone down by about 7%.

Conclusion:

Pictures
    IMG_5979-Copy.jpg

IMG_5980-Copy.jpg

IMG_5981.jpg

IMG_5983.jpg

IMG_5984.jpg

Video:
    WARNING: I was using a heavy DSLR camera one handed while recording this video...so as a result, there's more shaking and moving of the camera than I would have hoped so you may get a headache or some motion sickness :(.
    Regardless, the video is still good enough to showcase the virtues of this keyboard!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-plXnQA-KlE&feature=youtu.be

Further comments:
    Please let me know if you have any questions or anything specific. I did my best in making this review and presenting pictures, so if you think there's something still missing, just post here.

It works, my wife has one. I had some weirdness the first time I connected it, the shift key kept "sticking" but after that it was okay. Control, Alt works.. Some of the media stuff works, including launching some stock apps.. Overall it was okay once it started working right, not sure if it'll happen randomly or just that "first time".

Android will have more Android-specific functions, like Home, Back, Recents, etc... but you can mostly get by on the keyboard, especially if you don't mind poking the screen now and then.

Sure. I'll do it tomorrow night.
    However, I can tell you that if you use this like a laptop, you can easily read and see the text.
    Can anyone confirm this is a full sized keyboard? There is a post above that suggests as much but just want to be sure it's not cramped compared to a regular desktop or laptop keyboard. I want to try carrying this around for text entry purposes and avoid taking a laptop (with a full sized keyboard)

Its slightly cramped but not bad for a tablet keyboard

Sent from my Rezound using xda app-developers app