Changing font to bold. Any way to add fonts?

Search This thread

xdadooder

Oct 13, 2011
Is there any way to change (that is, add to) the fonts in the reader itself? I've read that it's only possible to change the system font? Are there any updates on this?

IndyRoadie

Aug 1, 2010
Not sure if any has tried FontInstaller on the Nook or not. It's a rooted Android device, so I would think in theory at least, it would word.. Someone correct me if I am wrong please?

zecoj

May 12, 2006
Melbourne
zecoj.com
Yes, I can confirm that it is possible to replace the fonts on the rooted nook, that is provided that you want to keep using the stock reader. On other readers, cool reader for example, you can just install additional fonts and they would be able to use those new ones.

xdadooder

Oct 13, 2011
Yes, I can confirm that it is possible to replace the fonts on the rooted nook, that is provided that you want to keep using the stock reader. On other readers, cool reader for example, you can just install additional fonts and they would be able to use those new ones.

Could you explain how to do it? My device is rooted. I just prefer to use the default reader because some of the newspapers are encrypted and I prefer to read it right after I download it, rather than transfer it to my computer, decrypt it, and send it back to my reader.

zecoj

May 12, 2006
Melbourne
zecoj.com
Could you explain how to do it?
From memory:
  • /system/fonts contains all "stock" fonts, you'll need to find out which files are of the font in the original reader
  • Pick a font you don't like (Malabar, for example). See in /system/fonts, these are the files of interest: Malabar.ttf, Malabar-Bold.ttf, Malabar-BoldItalic.ttf, Malabar-Italic.ttf. Back up these first.
  • Get a new font of your choosing (Gentium Book Basic, for example -- because I just LOVE this font), rename all the files to be exactly like Malabar's ones. Pay attention to Bold, BoldItalic, etc.
  • Overwrite the original files with the renamed one.
  • Make sure permissions are correct (644)
  • Reboot and choose Malabar as your preferred font in the reader.

IndyRoadie

Aug 1, 2010
Not sure if any has tried FontInstaller on the Nook or not. It's a rooted Android device, so I would think in theory at least, it would word.. Someone correct me if I am wrong please?

Just realized FontInstaller probably would only work on the Rooted part, not the stock Nook part, my bad..

xdadooder

Oct 13, 2011

From memory:
  • /system/fonts contains all "stock" fonts, you'll need to find out which files are of the font in the original reader
  • Pick a font you don't like (Malabar, for example). See in /system/fonts, these are the files of interest: Malabar.ttf, Malabar-Bold.ttf, Malabar-BoldItalic.ttf, Malabar-Italic.ttf. Back up these first.
  • Get a new font of your choosing (Gentium Book Basic, for example -- because I just LOVE this font), rename all the files to be exactly like Malabar's ones. Pay attention to Bold, BoldItalic, etc.

Thanks. Will try that.

xdadooder

Oct 13, 2011
From memory:

I can't mount the system\fonts folder as read/write in root explorer. Any idea how to get around this? I was able to read and copy the fonts to backup before, so I don't know what's wrong

Last edited:

xdadooder

Oct 13, 2011
WARNING: Don't try to replace system fonts. I replaced my system fonts and now my nook is stuck in a boot loop. I think the nook is very particular about what is in the file system.

I tried to do a factory reset, and now I can't register the device because the keyboard no longer appears when I try to connect to a network to enter the password. Something is seriously wrong with the root file system.

Last edited:

zecoj

May 12, 2006
Melbourne
zecoj.com
WARNING: Don't try to replace system fonts. I replaced my system fonts and now my nook is stuck in a boot loop. I think the nook is very particular about what is in the file system.

I tried to do a factory reset, and now I can't register the device because the keyboard no longer appears when I try to connect to a network to enter the password. Something is seriously wrong with the root file system.

Were you trying to replace "helvetica neue" by any chance?

You can try this to format /system as well for a full stock restore: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1475613

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Could you explain how to do it?
    From memory: