Help! possible brick 4.0

Search This thread

bieberhole69

Jan 17, 2012
I was trying to do a full reset of my GP 4.0 that has been sitting around for a little and when i tried to flash the stock firmware in ODIN it kinda sat there and then the player rebooted. FYI I was on a custom ROM and kernel.

So where I am now is that the player will turn on and it shows a connect to computer action and it won't go any further than that.
It is recognized in ODIN but I don't know what to do so any help would be appreciated.

this is the screen:
VPdXRl.jpg

iJimaniac

Oct 19, 2011
Okay. Yes, that is the brick screen, but don't panic. We need details: was the custom ROM gingerbread based, or cyanogen-mod based? Were you running on ext4 or still on rfs? Just what stock ROM package were you using?

Sent using Tapatalk

Reactions: bieberhole69

iJimaniac

Oct 19, 2011
Exactly what custom ROM were you on? Does your stock rom only have zImage and factoryfs, or is it a complete package? Have you re-tried flashing it? You didn't check, repartition, did you? DO NOT try anything with repartition yet. Did you follow a guide?

Sent using Tapatalk

iJimaniac

Oct 19, 2011
Okay, when you flash the stock rom with Odin, does it say pass or fail? Or does it just hang? I have found that if it fails or hangs, just plugging it into a different USB port and trying again can help. Try every USB port on your PC. Also, are you using a "regular" stock ROM with just the zImage and factoryfs.rfs, or are you trying to use zaclimon's full recovery?

Sent using Tapatalk

bieberhole69

Jan 17, 2012
Okay, when you flash the stock rom with Odin, does it say pass or fail? Or does it just hang? I have found that if it fails or hangs, just plugging it into a different USB port and trying again can help. Try every USB port on your PC. Also, are you using a "regular" stock ROM with just the zImage and factoryfs.rfs, or are you trying to use zaclimon's full recovery?

Sent using Tapatalk

I was using just the stock ROM would you suggest trying zaclimon's?

bieberhole69

Jan 17, 2012
No, I would suggest starting with the stock ROM. Can you tell me exactly what Odin does when you try flashing?

Sent using Tapatalk

<ID:0/003> Added!!
<ID:0/003> Odin v.3 engine (ID:3)..
<ID:0/003> File analysis..
<ID:0/003> SetupConnection..
<ID:0/003> Can't open the serial(COM) port.
<OSM> All threads completed. (succeed 0 / failed 1)

I assume that it cant open the port because I can't get it in ODIN mode.

Reactions: iJimaniac

iJimaniac

Oct 19, 2011
Added!!
Odin v.3 engine (ID:3)..
File analysis..
SetupConnection..
Can't open the serial(COM) port.
All threads completed. (succeed 0 / failed 1)

I assume that it cant open the port because I can't get it in ODIN mode.

Hmm, no, the brick screen is a form of download (ODIN) mode. I would guess you have something wrong with your PC setup. Have you successfully used Odin before, and if so have you changed anything since then? I would suggest reinstalling the kies driver, and if that still doesn't help, try using heindmall. Did you try using different USB ports on your PC?

Sent using Tapatalk

the playa!

Mar 18, 2012
Somerset
i have the same problem. can someone tell me how to fix it?
nothing is recognizing my player and i have icy fusion and terrasilent kernel.
my player is in the same state.
i cant turn it on.

iJimaniac

Oct 19, 2011
i have the same problem. can someone tell me how to fix it?
nothing is recognizing my player and i have icy fusion and terrasilent kernel.
my player is in the same state.
i cant turn it on.

If nothing is recognizing your player, that probably also means you have PC issues. Reinstall kies drivers, and one more thing is make sure you use the original cable. Some third party USB cables don't work with Odin for some reason.

Sent using Tapatalk

the playa!

Mar 18, 2012
Somerset
If nothing is recognizing your player, that probably also means you have PC issues. Reinstall kies drivers, and one more thing is make sure you use the original cable. Some third party USB cables don't work with Odin for some reason.

Sent using Tapatalk

kies isnt recognizing it either.. i tried on two seperate laptops and both have the same problem. :(
NOTHING is recognizing it. what is this an unfixable brick?

iJimaniac

Oct 19, 2011
kies isnt recognizing it either.. i tried on two seperate laptops and both have the same problem. :(
NOTHING is recognizing it. what is this an unfixable brick?

Hi, sorry for such a late reply!
I really don't know, if you are sure you have the kies drivers correctly installed. Have you messed around with heindmall? Because if I recall, setting up heindmall will make Odin not recognize your player. To fix it I had to uninstall something in heindmall. Sorry if this makes no sense, but this was a year ago when I did this, so I can't remember it well.

Sent using Tapatalk

the playa!

Mar 18, 2012
Somerset
Hi, sorry for such a late reply!
I really don't know, if you are sure you have the kies drivers correctly installed. Have you messed around with heindmall? Because if I recall, setting up heindmall will make Odin not recognize your player. To fix it I had to uninstall something in heindmall. Sorry if this makes no sense, but this was a year ago when I did this, so I can't remember it well.

Sent using Tapatalk

no, i have not messed around with heindmall

iJimaniac

Oct 19, 2011
This makes me nervous since tommorow i will upgrade my 2.2.2 to 2.3.6 tar usinng odin hmmmm. Do i need to flash what do u think guys? :D

Sent from my YP-G1 using xda premium

Well, I wouldn't worry about it to much, as long as you are 100% sure you are using a ROM compatible with your device, if you have a backup available, and you have a good Odin setup. And make sure you are 100% sure you know what you are doing ;)

Sent using Tapatalk

jlyo

Sep 11, 2012
Chicago
I posted the same response in a different thread. But have you tried running "heimdall close-pc-screen"? I ran in to the same situation where I got that logo, and power cycling the player didn't help. heimdall close-pc-screen got rid of it for me. YMMV of course.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Okay. Yes, that is the brick screen, but don't panic. We need details: was the custom ROM gingerbread based, or cyanogen-mod based? Were you running on ext4 or still on rfs? Just what stock ROM package were you using?

Sent using Tapatalk
    gingerbread
    rfs
    yp-g1cwyxaa.tar
    Exactly what custom ROM were you on? Does your stock rom only have zImage and factoryfs, or is it a complete package? Have you re-tried flashing it? You didn't check, repartition, did you? DO NOT try anything with repartition yet. Did you follow a guide?

Sent using Tapatalk
    i have the SAME problem!
    i was running Icy Fusion ROM with TerraSilent kernel, do you know how to fix it?
    Because i'm really worried right now.

Sent using Tapatalk