iPhone Envy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

smacman

Sep 21, 2010
33000ft
So I realize this thread might not go over well, but just looking for a little discussion to see where others stand.

I'm a die hard Googler. I currently own a Galaxy Nexus and Nexus 7. I couldn't live without Gmail and its advanced feature set. I use Google+, Maps, Calendar, Contacts, Photos, Music, etc. on a daily basis and I truly believe that Google's services blow Apple's crappy iCloud junk out of the water. iOS is a constrained OS that isn't scalable enough to satisfy my inner geek (I've used iPhones enough in the past to have learned this the hard way).

This brings me to the iPhone 5. Even though I know iOS isn't for me, and even though I can't stand Apple's direction with respect to mobile devices, I find the hardware extremely appealing. The level of engineering is exceptional, and the overall fit and finish results in a device that looks and feels like a work of art. The best analogy I can think of is that the iPhone is the Mercedes Benz while most Android handsets are your typical Honda or Toyota.

Am I the only one that is desperate for somebody to step up and make us a solid, well built, powerful Android device? It seems like Samsung is addicted to plastic, HTC insists on spoiling their otherwise solid hardware by bloating the whole experience with the crapware known as Sense, Motorola is intent on releasing 20 versions of the same funny looking device, and the rest are spinning their wheels. If somebody were to step up and offer an Android handset that had external appeal comparable to the iPhone, I am confident it would be the nail in the coffin for Apple's smartphone sales.

RANT COMPLETE

DomOctober

Aug 15, 2011
New York
I hear what you're saying. While I want nothing to do with with the iphone, I could agree that maybe manufacturers could pay more attention to the form factor of most android devices. Don't get me wrong, I think my Nexus devices are gorgeous.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Hero_Guy

Jul 12, 2010
I agree with you 100 percent. When the iPhone 4 came out, it was hands down most sexiest looking phone out there. Their build quality feels amazing in the hand. I would have loved a phone that looked like that and ran android. Obviously the fragile ness is a downside as well as the early radio weakness aka death grip. The galaxy nexus was a huge step up in design for android and I think is still the best looking android device. I really hope manufacturers improve design. Even though functionality is great, I wasn't a fan of the SII or the SIII's design. The Sony Xperia phones are nice too but so far almost all android phones look the same. But damn is the Gnex sexy as hell especially when the screen is off.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda app-developers app

Zeinzu

Aug 18, 2010
Manchester
www.sdx-developers.com
iPhones all look the same to me, since the first one, and personally I think the hardware/software of Nexus line devices are very well put together. I can agree that other manufacturer Androids tend to lack in solid design and hardware/software being well built for each other, but I strongly believe the Nexus is the solution for that issue. I feel no envy towards the iPhone 5.

Honest opinion without any need to bash on Apple.

Sent from my AOSP Android 4.1.1 Galaxy Nexus.

@rbiter

Dec 4, 2011
I have to admit, even though the iPhone 5 is more of the same from 4/4s it is a nice looking and high quality phone. Android OEM's would do well to step up this area. And personally I don't mind plastic phones if the quality of the plastic is good, and the fit and finish are pleasing. I haven't inspected the gs3 up close yet but have played with one several times. It is a nice phone and very comfy in the hand. But Samsung would do well to mix up its image a little and come out with a metal phone or two, albeit engineered to overcome the reception issues that are possible with metal phones. Really wish Nokia had jumped in the android boat. They had a handset for everybody.

need more high def music...

rice923

Jul 17, 2012
SF, CA
Yes, the iphone5 is a beautiful phone as far as hardware is concerned. In my opinion, The only manufacturer who can keep up with appealing hardware at the moment is HTC (I like their One series designs, but to each their own).

On top of hardware designs, I believe Android is also lacking one other "feature" compared to the iPhone. I intentionally use the quotes, because I am referring to the lack of quality accessories that are available for us to choose from. Apple did well with their aftermarket electronic accessories because they were supported very well by other companies. Android can't really do this, because we have so many different form factors when it comes to hardware, and the major one being the location of the charging port on each phone. If Android standardized the location of the charging port, accessories would be much easier to engineer for Android. However, this may be an after-thought soon since we have NFC and there would be no need for a physical connection between accessories and the phone itself. The lack of NFC and the changed connector will be the downfall of the iPhone.

And lastly, my biggest gripe has to do with the quality control of Android manufacturers. I've personally only ever had Sammy Androids, but I gotta say, they suck at QC. My Droid Charge had sporadic radio issues, resulting in crackling voice calls regardless of radio updates. Now I'm on the Gnex and I've yet to see someone who has a FLAWLESS screen. Purple tinting, banding, burn-ins, low brightness issues... :mad:

Regardless, I am not going to support Apple at this day and age. Not a fan of their business practice, and I don't like being associated with the majority of iPhone user who aimlessly throw their money at a shiny new toy w/o knowing much about it.

PUTALE

Jul 12, 2009
sure the iphone is sexy that you cannot deny and that has always been how Apple does things. They put a great deal in designing an attractive product so that it appeals to the mass market who sometimes do not care about the functionality, performance, and hardware specs. This has helped them tremendously in getting people buying the phone because of its looks.

It is hard for the other manufacturers to compete against Apple since not only they have to compete in the industrial design but also compete in the hardware specs. I have to say, with non-iPhone devices, HTC seemed to be the most creative in terms of design with their latest One lines. They make one sexy phone that is packed with features. Unfortunately, it does not get as much attention as Samsung device because people are very locked into the whole Galaxy line of product as Samsung has already established its name and branding with it. In the Windows front, I think Nokia is doing a great job and it always has been quite good at designing hardware that looks good. But sadly for Nokia, Windows Phone is just not as popular as Android.

Reactions: djlefevre

killyouridols

Sep 15, 2009
Essex
Not a fan of ANY apple OS nor am I a fan of their business practices, However their design and quality is extremely appealing. Jony Ivey has done an incredible job at apple and is probably the real factor behind their success, purely on aesthetics.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda app-developers app

cropythy

Dec 11, 2009
I love android os but the Nokia devices aiming out look even better than the iPhone IMHO. The current Nokia hardware looks good enough I might have to try windows phone 8 instead of android for my next phone.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium

Clyzm

Jun 28, 2010
Toronto
If I could get an iPhone 5 running stock JB perfectly, I would switch in a second.

Having said that, anyone see Engadget's battery rundown test? 11 hours of battery looping a video with LTE on? I hope this sets the bar for future devices in the industry. I don't care that the iPhone did it, I just hope that other manufacturers follow suit.

Reactions: Flowsick

Jubomime

Dec 9, 2011
If I could get an iPhone 5 running stock JB perfectly, I would switch in a second.

Having said that, anyone see Engadget's battery rundown test? 11 hours of battery looping a video with LTE on? I hope this sets the bar for future devices in the industry. I don't care that the iPhone did it, I just hope that other manufacturers follow suit.

They'd get sued.

Jeff_in_LA

Dec 7, 2008
I agree with your entire statement smacman.

I have a Gnex and Nexus 7 and I'm a diehard Droid fan too. I have never owned an Apple product ever.. but....

They have the best fit and finish, build quality and polish by far. Also, the A6 CPU is the best in the market now. Did you see the Java scores? Like SunSpider Javascript.. Blazing fast.

I actually considered a switch to the dark side and get an iPhone5. They only thing holding me back was the lack of simultaneous voice and data on CDMA carriers, even with LTE.

http://betanews.com/2012/09/14/veri...till-doesnt-have-simultaneous-voice-and-data/

I hope the Android developers and manufactures step up.

derekwilkinson

Dec 14, 2007
The iPhone 5's hardware is definitely better looking than any other device IMHO but I can't stand iOS. I like the screen size as well.

crixley

May 25, 2012
I love android os but the Nokia devices aiming out look even better than the iPhone IMHO. The current Nokia hardware looks good enough I might have to try windows phone 8 instead of android for my next phone.

I had a couple wp7 phones and trust me, the os leaves a lot to be desired.

the app store is a barren wasteland, multitasking hardly works and little things left out (like being able to control separate volumes, like headset and ringtone, or ringtone and alarm)

lrs421

Sep 29, 2010
New York
OP, I agree with many of your points. I dislike Apple and I hate itunes even more but I am jealous of their systematic update process and dammit everything just works approach. My wife has an iPhone 4 so I get to play with one daily. Even apps that are available on both platforms seem more polished on iO6, I realize there are a number of reasons for this.

I too have a GN and an N7. I love the openness and customization of Android but frankly I'm getting way too busy with real life to keep tweaking and adjusting. And while fragmentation has become the big buzz word this year it has annoyed me since I purchased my first Android phone 2 years ago (Samsung Captivate). 5 android phones later and it's still a big problem. Meanwhile my wife's iPhone 4 which she purchased at the same time just got iO6.

Btw, my 2 "Nexus" devices aren't even running the same os (If you tell me to root my phone or buy a GSM Nexus I will yell at you very loudly while throwing rotten eggs).

jrizk07

May 30, 2010
I think it all comes down to one thing and one thing only. Personal Preference

I own an iPhone 4 (For work) and a GNex

I love my Android phone because of what it can do for me. I can tweak it, customize it, and know that I can do everything on it.

My iPhone? Meh, A big brick of glass in my opinion. It's broken the minute it gets dropped. But some people like what it has to offer. It's simplistic in the sense that things work (I've seen a few people say this in the thread) BUT the only reason it works is because you have to do things their way. (iTunes sync, 1 computer at a time, etc) There are a lot of things that fail when it comes to the iPhone that a lot of people hate. That's why they go elsewhere beyond Apple. The one thing you cannot deny though is how good Apples marketing is. They're extremely well known. Because of this they have a lot of loyal, blind, fans. Even though they don't know the specs, release dates, etc. They want what is essentially great marketing.

Now I personally believe that if you were to sit everyone down and hand them 3 phones (An iPhone, Windows phone and an Android phone) It would probably be pretty even across the board. Why? Personal Preference.

At the end of the day Apple is still going to be playing catch up to everyone else. Why isn't the iphone 5 an HD device? The resolution is sub par considering everything is HD now.

I'll end with that I'd much rather have a Windows phone that is truly simplistic in every sense of the word than another iPhone. For those of you who think that the iPhone 5 is a beautiful piece of great hardware? I point you to the HTC 8X, a Windows phone that's exceptionally beautiful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    So I realize this thread might not go over well, but just looking for a little discussion to see where others stand.

I'm a die hard Googler. I currently own a Galaxy Nexus and Nexus 7. I couldn't live without Gmail and its advanced feature set. I use Google+, Maps, Calendar, Contacts, Photos, Music, etc. on a daily basis and I truly believe that Google's services blow Apple's crappy iCloud junk out of the water. iOS is a constrained OS that isn't scalable enough to satisfy my inner geek (I've used iPhones enough in the past to have learned this the hard way).

This brings me to the iPhone 5. Even though I know iOS isn't for me, and even though I can't stand Apple's direction with respect to mobile devices, I find the hardware extremely appealing. The level of engineering is exceptional, and the overall fit and finish results in a device that looks and feels like a work of art. The best analogy I can think of is that the iPhone is the Mercedes Benz while most Android handsets are your typical Honda or Toyota.

Am I the only one that is desperate for somebody to step up and make us a solid, well built, powerful Android device? It seems like Samsung is addicted to plastic, HTC insists on spoiling their otherwise solid hardware by bloating the whole experience with the crapware known as Sense, Motorola is intent on releasing 20 versions of the same funny looking device, and the rest are spinning their wheels. If somebody were to step up and offer an Android handset that had external appeal comparable to the iPhone, I am confident it would be the nail in the coffin for Apple's smartphone sales.

RANT COMPLETE
    I'll go ahead and chime in here because I've given some thought lately to why specifically I prefer Android over iPhone - not because I'm trying to convince myself to switch, but because I want to know why my needs/opinions differ from seemingly most of the population.

Okay, right off the bat you have the fact that I'm a technical person/software developer, that makes me "different" than the mass market. But there are plenty of techie people who still like iPhones, so how am I different from them? When I think about the iPhone 5, I definitely like its fast CPU, good camera, and great battery life. I was never a fan of the hard edges and glass, but the thing is durable - the girlfriend tosses it all over the place and it's usually fine.

The thing is, that's about where my envy ends. When I think about iOS and the ecosystem - the boring SpringBoard, literally just a sea of app icons to choose from, the reliance on iTunes, the limitations and lack of options left and right, it just makes for an experience that is not very interesting. Sure it will get things done okay, but I won't be fascinated with it or want to play with it, unlike with Android.

What specific limitations?
    - No Picasa integration in Photos like Android's Gallery, have to use G+ app for that
    - General lack of options in G+ app (saving photos)
    - Have to generate app-specific passwords for the billion Google services I use (Reader, etc.) instead of having apps grab a credential token like in Android
    - The new, worse Maps experience in iOS 6
    - Having to choose between best web renderer (Safari) or Chrome tab syncing but with gimped embedded web renderer, can't have both
    - Various Mail limitations vs. Android Gmail app
    - Can't download files from internet, change default apps to open files with, or generally do some more PC-like things with it
    - Sucky Google Voice integration, so goodbye free SMS
    - Lack of Tasker
    - The general restrictive UI, no concept of a "menu" so devs do weird things like the hidden side menu (Facebook, G+), or abuse the "share" button menu, or hidden things like having to long-press the email body to add an attachment

These are just some of the things. In general, I love Android's UI, its principles (open source, install apps from anywhere, focus on streaming and cloud storage with Music, G+ photos, etc., as opposed to iPhone's focus on "downloading" everything), its feature set and options, inter-app communication, the home screen that I can arrange the way that best suits my needs with widgets and icon placement, etc. It just feels more "alive," more interactive, and more flexible as a future computing platform. As things like CPU/GPU power and battery life improve and get "good enough" and the UI continually matures and gets smoother, etc., Android gives you more and more the best of both worlds. Just look how far it's already come from the Froyo/early Droid days to today with the Nexus and Jelly Bean.

I hope these things give other people some interesting points to think about as well.

TL;DR - iPhone has great battery life and is very easy to use, but I prefer everything else about Android.
    Here's what I don't understand, everyone talks about look and feel of manufacturers devices, and then they go and buy a case. Why buy a iPhone and talk about how beautiful and great it feels only to turn around and throw a cheap plastic case on it while complaining that the gnex is inferior cause it feels like its made of cheap plastic. Everyone must think of their phone a a female Muslim that needs covered!, seriously wtf is wrong with people, my gnex goes naked daily and feels great in my hand.

I agree the iPhone 4 is sexy and the 5 is as well. I have been waiting for an android phone which has quality hardware and is better looking.

I think I may stick with android and wait for just that. The iPhone to me is like a gorgeous girl with a great body, but, lacking personality, smarts and has nothing in common with me.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using xda premium
    I do like the build quality of the iphone as well. But I've also been thrilled in every way, shape and form with the GNex. And hey, drop either of'm and I'd say the Nexus has a better chance of no damage.