The Tablet You Should Buy (at least Consider...)

Search This thread

terrapin69

Aug 18, 2008
I'm pretty savvy when it comes to technological purchases - Unfortunately, I am also WAY TOO anal when it comes to my devices and I like them to look, act, respond, and treat me right...Anyway, over the past several weeks, I have been incredibly torn about which new 10" tablet to purchase and would like to share my journey - Slightly condensed...

It all started with my giving away my beloved XOOM to a close friend - He needed a tablet, limited funds, does a ton of sh*t for me, so off it went - The XOOM Wi-Fi was perfect - A bit heavy? Yes. Kind of outdated with its dual core? Sure. Nevertheless, the screen was crisp, no light bleed, never rebooted itself, and only froze once in 6 months - Not bad.

I needed to buy a new tablet....

Seeing as the XOOM (essentially) isn't for sale, at least mainstream-like, anymore, I first tried....

The ASUS TF700T Infinity - Not bad (internally) but the QC over at ASUS must truly suck! Light bleed around all four corners and 2 sides at the main boot screen, a slight "squeak/creak" when the screen was depressed too firmly, you get the picture. It was fast (enough) for a quad core CPU running ICS, but I found the ASUS tweaks of the FW boring and, coupled with the QC horrors, it went back. I actually exchanged the unit for another, unopened TF700T in the hopes I just got a bad member of some ill-fated batch. WRONG! Number 2 was number 2. Screen/light bleed was actually worse and the screen rippled if I pressed the back of the stupid thing. Well, I have given up on the TF700T and, sorry to say, ASUS as a brand.

Second up was the SONY Xperia Tablet S - Not bad at all - Nice screen, cool tweaked FW out of the box, quad-core, etc., etc., etc. Only slight bleed from 2 corners while I watched a movie but wasn't too bad (even for someone as scrutinizing as myself). But, if you're like me, you NEED a screen protector. You NEED a nice case. So off to Amazon I went and ordered 3 cases, knowing I would return the 2 I decided against. I swear to you all - each case forced me to remove the unit from said case for charging. Nuts! I also started to hate the SONY "water-resistance" covers that I had to pry off to charge the thing (don't bite your nails) and change the full size memory card - The full size memory card was just kind of weird in and of itself...Anyway, while none of this is really SONY's fault (and I DO like their products), back it went along with the other accessories - Oh yeah, maybe it's me (doubtful though) but I could not get a quality screen protector on it to save my life - Bubbles galore!

A week went by....

Still no tablet....

Then I was fuc*i%g around with my Galaxy S II, a phone I have enjoyed for almost eight months and one that has NEVER given me the slightest problem whatsoever and I "remembered"....Hey man! Samsung makes tablets! Right? Hell yeah, they do, and a quick trip to my local BB introduced me to the G-Tab 2 7 and the Note 10.1. I LOVED the price of the 7" tab ($249) but really wanted to stick with a 10" screen. I fiddled with the note and was in love - Not with the $499 tag, but it all looked so damn cool (in the store). Well...Yes. I bought it, Amazon(ed) screen shields and a case from MoKo and off to the races...Again. But, now, with the S-Pen!

First, I was able to find a TON of accessories for the thing from screen protectors to cases. I ordered a 3-pack of the Acase anti-glare shields and the MoKo PU Leather stand case - Admittedly, I screwed up 2 of these protectors - But it's a 3-pack so I had one more shot. With a little more time taken, Scotch tape and compressed air, I got the perfectly cut third one on 100% - And YES! The S-Pen works perfectly with the shield in place. trust me!

Then I slid it into the thoughtfully crafted and well-designed case from MoKo/Amazon and was pleased to see that I didn't even have to open the magnetic flip cover to charge it - AWESOME!

Now...I needed to turn it on (after inserting a nice Class 10 16GB card of course)

Guess what? Screen boots with the Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 text in white on a PITCH BLACK screen. yeah - It's black, like it should be. There isn't any light introducing from the corners nor ghostly images emanating from the side. It's just right. Simple, but right.

Like my GS2, it booted past the initial screen quickly and set-up was smooth sailing - An easy root, movie-watching test, quick benchmark (I won by the way) and I knew I had a keeper.

For what it's worth, SAMSUNG continues to earn MY business and will continue to (as long as they keep doing what they do). I don't give a rat's A## what others say is 'acceptable" concerning light bleed, creaking screens, etc. Let's face it. It's NOT acceptable at any level and, for $499 retail, it's also insulting. If one company can do it right, so can another one -

Sorry for rambling and thank me if this helps you buy your next tablet

PS - No! I do not work for nor am I affiliated with SS in ANY way!

Last edited by a moderator:

SM05

Jan 1, 2012
Alexandria, VA
I'm happy you found a new tab you like. Samsung GS2 user here as well. :) My phone is actually being fixed under warranty at the moment...

Anyways, wanted to reflect on my experience as well. After 4 weeks of using GN I plan on sending it back next week. I gave it an honest try but iust couldn't get past lag and stutter. I also tried a 2nd unit which had less lag , which was still there though, but had a less responsive pen. I decided to keep unit 1 hoping I can live with it. It's just too annoying to be dealing with random lag especially considering all the horse power this tab packs, so back it goes. I don't wanna take a chance with my $$$ waiting for JB to see if it fixes the lag.

Someone had said on this forum that there's no android tab out there under 500 with no lag. If so and considering GN specs I think it's gotta be android itself then. Hopefully JB fixes it. I'm gonna try Nexus 7 but don't have much confidence in that reading about all the QC issues. If that doesn't work out I may have to sit back and wait for android on tabs to mature a bit. I might consider larger screen on my next phone if it still not there.

I hope my experience is an isolated case. So enjoy your GN if all is working fine.

dr.m0x

Oct 28, 2010
Auckland
There is lag and stutter?

Either you got a faulty tablet or you have loaded up some CPU hogging app.

Sent from my GT-N8010 using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: Blueback22

PsiPhiDan

Oct 27, 2011
Plainfield
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra
@SM05

The issue is not typically Android - it's usually companies like Samsung or HTC or ASUS or whatever that change Android by putting on their "skin" that inevitably slows down and hinders Android. When running vanilla Android on phones and tablets alike, I've never seen lag. ICS, and especially JB, are just speed demons.

Sent from my EVO using xda app-developers app

Reactions: Blueback22

DRVB

Apr 27, 2012
Vacoas
The only slight lag i ever noticed on mine was when changing homescreens with the standard clock/weather widget updating ....once i replaced it with HD widgets the lag disappeared...never noticed any lags in progs ...in fact from my point of view this tab is super fast ))

mitchellvii

Jul 10, 2010
Charlotte, NC
www.executivedecision.biz
The only lag I have noticed is when trying to type in a website based forum. However I think that is more due to the websites slow servers than the tablet. Typing in Tapapalk is very responsive.

I just wish more of my favorite blogs used Tapatalk.

Good idea for an app. Make an app which allows a user to type into a pop up text box and when done, sends the text all at once to the blog text box.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

TonyBigs

Apr 14, 2011
Good idea for an app. Make an app which allows a user to type into a pop up text box and when done, sends the text all at once to the blog text box.

That's what Windows tablets do. It's called the Tablet Input Panel (TIP). One can make corrections and edit with pen strokes before committing the text to the text box.

younix258

Feb 18, 2011
The only lag I have noticed is when trying to type in a website based forum. However I think that is more due to the websites slow servers than the tablet. Typing in Tapapalk is very responsive.

I just wish more of my favorite blogs used Tapatalk.

Its called copy and pastenlol

Sent from my GT-N8013 using xda app-developers app

SM05

Jan 1, 2012
Alexandria, VA

There is in my case. Both tabs had it. I cannot imagine getting 2 "faulty" units in a row. Forgot to mention thst the 2nd unit creaked like crazy, which was another reason I decided to keep the 1st one, til now that is.

I install apps very conservatively. Been actually running the similar set of apps on my GS2 with no issues, on a custom GB rom to be fair though. Ftr, I've got: adobe reader, flash, kindle, color note, crackle, dropbox, engaged, imdb, skies air, shazam, stocks, timeriffic, weather channel, USA today + a few Google apps. Nothing fancy and nothing crazy running in the background. Home screen has 2 pages, Main 1 with 2 widgets like weather for instance, which is set to not periodically refresh and 1 more widget on another page. Some stutter occurs while scrolling in settings app for example and sadly is noticeable even after a full reset.

So it's gotta be a software problem, ie either android on tabs or Samsung's version of it. I simply don't see how such a high end specs and quality wise hardware could be a culprit. And assuming that's the case it can then be fixed. I hope GN will get better for the rest of you and ones with a similar problems. Enjoy your tab.

Nfinity

Jul 26, 2009
I enjoyed reading this article. Before purchasing my Note 10.1, I was a firm antagonist of tablets in general. I have a phone; I have a computer; why would I need some awkward middle device that lacked the power if a computer and the functionality of a phone? It wasn't until I was limited to my computer screen (which is a 50" tv in a room with no desk) when doing homework, due to my books being digital, that I knew I needed portability, and a phone is just way too small. I was holding out for a Surface device, but then saw the Note 10.1. After much debate (with the final justification being the price of school books being similar to the cost of this device, AND it would save me much money on paper, pencils and such) I ordered the Note 10.1 on amazon.

It wasn't available for demo in any local stores, so I played around with similar tablets, like the transformer. I was disappointed with the lag and the freezing, which worried me. I realised that that were demo units, so held my final verdict for my new Note when it arrived

Once I received it, I was blown away. Aside from the folder bug, it was flawless ( Samsung quickly came out with a small update ota to fix it within a day or two! :D ). It ran way fast, had an operational screen time 10 hours on a single charge with heavy use, and was feature rich. Best of all, this was all without any kind of root. Suffice to say, I kept it. Not only has it almost replaced my computer (still need it for Borderlands 2) but I barely use my phone anymore as well. You can now officially call me an android tablet advocate, with the Note 10.1 being my first recommendation.

Reactions: Echo_Steve

macwilson

Dec 4, 2011
I also have an iPad 2 which is really nice. But the Note is actually better in most ways. It's faster, and has a really good OEM case, something the iPad lacks, even though I have a very nice case for it (cases are important I think).

Anyway, it's the pen that trumps the iPad.

Got to Love Wacom. :)

I think i'll buy the LTE version if it ever shows up.

Last edited:

0l-ROB-l0

Nov 1, 2010
Gothenburg
Thanks for a nice post on your experience, good to see others are enjoying their GN.

I've gotta also post a response here because I had to say that the performance of my GN is flawless, it is quite amazing how fast and smooth it is - I never expected it to be this good, as they should all be for that matter.

I was so close to ordering a TF700 but decided to wait for a GN.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I'm pretty savvy when it comes to technological purchases - Unfortunately, I am also WAY TOO anal when it comes to my devices and I like them to look, act, respond, and treat me right...Anyway, over the past several weeks, I have been incredibly torn about which new 10" tablet to purchase and would like to share my journey - Slightly condensed...

It all started with my giving away my beloved XOOM to a close friend - He needed a tablet, limited funds, does a ton of sh*t for me, so off it went - The XOOM Wi-Fi was perfect - A bit heavy? Yes. Kind of outdated with its dual core? Sure. Nevertheless, the screen was crisp, no light bleed, never rebooted itself, and only froze once in 6 months - Not bad.

I needed to buy a new tablet....

Seeing as the XOOM (essentially) isn't for sale, at least mainstream-like, anymore, I first tried....

The ASUS TF700T Infinity - Not bad (internally) but the QC over at ASUS must truly suck! Light bleed around all four corners and 2 sides at the main boot screen, a slight "squeak/creak" when the screen was depressed too firmly, you get the picture. It was fast (enough) for a quad core CPU running ICS, but I found the ASUS tweaks of the FW boring and, coupled with the QC horrors, it went back. I actually exchanged the unit for another, unopened TF700T in the hopes I just got a bad member of some ill-fated batch. WRONG! Number 2 was number 2. Screen/light bleed was actually worse and the screen rippled if I pressed the back of the stupid thing. Well, I have given up on the TF700T and, sorry to say, ASUS as a brand.

Second up was the SONY Xperia Tablet S - Not bad at all - Nice screen, cool tweaked FW out of the box, quad-core, etc., etc., etc. Only slight bleed from 2 corners while I watched a movie but wasn't too bad (even for someone as scrutinizing as myself). But, if you're like me, you NEED a screen protector. You NEED a nice case. So off to Amazon I went and ordered 3 cases, knowing I would return the 2 I decided against. I swear to you all - each case forced me to remove the unit from said case for charging. Nuts! I also started to hate the SONY "water-resistance" covers that I had to pry off to charge the thing (don't bite your nails) and change the full size memory card - The full size memory card was just kind of weird in and of itself...Anyway, while none of this is really SONY's fault (and I DO like their products), back it went along with the other accessories - Oh yeah, maybe it's me (doubtful though) but I could not get a quality screen protector on it to save my life - Bubbles galore!

A week went by....

Still no tablet....

Then I was fuc*i%g around with my Galaxy S II, a phone I have enjoyed for almost eight months and one that has NEVER given me the slightest problem whatsoever and I "remembered"....Hey man! Samsung makes tablets! Right? Hell yeah, they do, and a quick trip to my local BB introduced me to the G-Tab 2 7 and the Note 10.1. I LOVED the price of the 7" tab ($249) but really wanted to stick with a 10" screen. I fiddled with the note and was in love - Not with the $499 tag, but it all looked so damn cool (in the store). Well...Yes. I bought it, Amazon(ed) screen shields and a case from MoKo and off to the races...Again. But, now, with the S-Pen!

First, I was able to find a TON of accessories for the thing from screen protectors to cases. I ordered a 3-pack of the Acase anti-glare shields and the MoKo PU Leather stand case - Admittedly, I screwed up 2 of these protectors - But it's a 3-pack so I had one more shot. With a little more time taken, Scotch tape and compressed air, I got the perfectly cut third one on 100% - And YES! The S-Pen works perfectly with the shield in place. trust me!

Then I slid it into the thoughtfully crafted and well-designed case from MoKo/Amazon and was pleased to see that I didn't even have to open the magnetic flip cover to charge it - AWESOME!

Now...I needed to turn it on (after inserting a nice Class 10 16GB card of course)

Guess what? Screen boots with the Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 text in white on a PITCH BLACK screen. yeah - It's black, like it should be. There isn't any light introducing from the corners nor ghostly images emanating from the side. It's just right. Simple, but right.

Like my GS2, it booted past the initial screen quickly and set-up was smooth sailing - An easy root, movie-watching test, quick benchmark (I won by the way) and I knew I had a keeper.

For what it's worth, SAMSUNG continues to earn MY business and will continue to (as long as they keep doing what they do). I don't give a rat's A## what others say is 'acceptable" concerning light bleed, creaking screens, etc. Let's face it. It's NOT acceptable at any level and, for $499 retail, it's also insulting. If one company can do it right, so can another one -

Sorry for rambling and thank me if this helps you buy your next tablet

PS - No! I do not work for nor am I affiliated with SS in ANY way!
    When i hear these comments about lag and stutter i just shake my ahead. Absolutely ZERO lag or stutter for me. Tablet is faster than my laptop.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk 2

@SM05

The issue is not typically Android - it's usually companies like Samsung or HTC or ASUS or whatever that change Android by putting on their "skin" that inevitably slows down and hinders Android. When running vanilla Android on phones and tablets alike, I've never seen lag. ICS, and especially JB, are just speed demons.

Sent from my EVO using xda app-developers app
    When i hear these comments about lag and stutter i just shake my ahead. Absolutely ZERO lag or stutter for me. Tablet is faster than my laptop.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk 2

Agree with you. Nothing wrong with mine.

O.P. Great review btw

Sent from my GT-N8013 using XDA Premium HD app