[i9000][i9001][INFORMATION][SECURITY][TMPFIX] Important security hole

Search This thread

Tweak-Man

Jun 30, 2012
This is an important information about a security hole on our Samsung's devices.
This hole was discovered by Ravi Borgaonkar at the Ekoparty security conference.

This hole can wipe your phone without asking the user. It can be done by using URL, SMS, QRCodes and NFC.

To check if your device is vulnerable, you can go on this site and if the phone open the dialler and display the IMEI code, your are vulnerable !
http://dylanreeve.com/phone.php

BE VERY CAREFUL, EVEN ROOTED AND CUSTOMIZE DEVICES ARE CONCERNED

Confirmed devices for our section:
  • Samsung Galaxy S [i9000]:
    • with CyanogenMod9 with stock dialer
    • with CyanogenMod10
    • with 2.3.5 XXJVS

EDIT:
Thanks to Yannis100, he founds a temporary fix to this.
Just download the application TelStop. Now, every time there is a USSD Code who could do something on your phone, it will ask your with witch application you want to open the link (the phone (very bad idea) or TelStop).

More informations here:
Major security vulnerability Samsung phones could trigger factory reset
and here:
Youtube video

--
If this thread helps you or was useful, please click Thanks ! :good:

Last edited:

Yannis100

Jun 27, 2012
Poliez-Pittet
Hi, thank you for this info
After test I can confirm that my device is vulnerable too, I tried with Firefox and Boat

For information : a possible way to fix this is to download TelStop on Google Play

Send with my HTC One V, MyOneV 5 with Titanium-KISS kernel

Last edited:
Reactions: Tweak-Man

hughtc

Feb 20, 2011
Castlemaine
Confirmed with i9000 running CM9's stock dialer.

ROM version: 9.0.0-galaxysmtd.

Test page opens the dialer and displays the IMEI without prompting.

I'm wondering whether part of the issue is that these codes don't require the user to hit the 'dial' button, they execute as soon as the last # is typed.

Someone put forward the idea that 'although that test page may work, you're not vulnerable to the reset hack as that's a TouchWiz specific thing' - as far as I can tell these codes are baked into the phone's firmware at a low level, so a reset is possible on any device that supports the code, irrespective of the ROM / skin it may be running.

The real issue is that it has been exposed via a broken URL handling mechanism, and that broken functionlity is not limited to TouchWiz devices.

ruthlessrat

Sep 23, 2012
I just installed tel stop better safe than sorry :)

But why someone would like to erase everything from my phone

Werid besides most info i can restore from Google my laptop etc

Typed with my I9001

Noumen

Apr 15, 2012
unofficial cm10 27-09-2012 (fishears) rom tested not vulnerable :D
opens the dialer but no imei info displayed, this means by the description of that website that im not vulnerable.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This is an important information about a security hole on our Samsung's devices.
    This hole was discovered by Ravi Borgaonkar at the Ekoparty security conference.

This hole can wipe your phone without asking the user. It can be done by using URL, SMS, QRCodes and NFC.

To check if your device is vulnerable, you can go on this site and if the phone open the dialler and display the IMEI code, your are vulnerable !
    http://dylanreeve.com/phone.php

BE VERY CAREFUL, EVEN ROOTED AND CUSTOMIZE DEVICES ARE CONCERNED

Confirmed devices for our section:
    • Samsung Galaxy S [i9000]:
      • with CyanogenMod9 with stock dialer
      • with CyanogenMod10
      • with 2.3.5 XXJVS

EDIT:
    Thanks to Yannis100, he founds a temporary fix to this.
    Just download the application TelStop. Now, every time there is a USSD Code who could do something on your phone, it will ask your with witch application you want to open the link (the phone (very bad idea) or TelStop).

More informations here:
    Major security vulnerability Samsung phones could trigger factory reset
    and here:
    Youtube video

--
    Confirmed (i.e. exploit in a web page works) with Samsung Galaxy S Plus (GT-I9001) stock 2.3.5 XXKPJ and stock browser.
    Hi, thank you for this info
    After test I can confirm that my device is vulnerable too, I tried with Firefox and Boat

For information : a possible way to fix this is to download TelStop on Google Play

Send with my HTC One V, MyOneV 5 with Titanium-KISS kernel
    Thank to everyone who gave me a reply about their (vulnerable) phone ! I've updated the list :)

TelStop isn't working properly for a lot of people at the moment.

For me, it works perfectely :rolleyes:

--