Power button problems [HTC Explorer]

Search This thread

nukeblitz

Apr 27, 2012
So, I thought I was the only one affected by this but turns out I'm not. I noticed two other people with this issue in the development forum. I'm creating this thread for discussion and possible solutions and workarounds.

EDIT: So, some people have the opposite problem. Nothing happens when the power button is pressed and two are three clicks are required...looks like there are plenty of problems with the explorer's power button design...

Overview of the issue:

-> On affected phones, pressing the power button registers a second press that was not made.

-> It is inconsistent but get progressively worse, happening more frequently.

Summary of effects:

-> While trying to unlock the phone, the phone's lockscreen turns up for a moment before switching off again as the second press is registered.
The same thing happens while trying to lock but in reverse.

-> Second presses register in the HBOOT menu and in recovery, causing a variety of issues.

-> Power menu options are also affected. The long press opens the power menu but the second press is registered when you let go, which causes the phone to lock.

Some observations:

-> This problem occurs even when using the power key with the back cover removed. It has nothing to do with the power button appearing recessed.

-> The second press is registered when letting go, not when you press the power button.

-> Your choice of ROM doesn't matter. Seems to me that this is clearly a hardware issue.

Solutions and workarounds:

-> Performing a quick tap instead of a regular press seems to help.

-> On CyanogenMod 9 or ROMs based on it, using the option to have the volume buttons wake the device is viable. Downside is that you lose music quick controls.

-> To use the power menu, press and hold till the power menu appears but don't let go. Make your selection with the power button pressed. As mentioned before, the second press is registered when letting go. Don't keep the power pressed too long though.
There are several ways to perform the same actions as the power button menu, depending on your ROM. That works too.

-> For screenshots,
On stock or stock based ROMs, press and hold the power button and then tap the home button. Don't press the power button long enough to open the power menu.
On CM9 based ROMs, press and hold both the power and volume down buttons for 2 seconds.

-> HBOOT:
No real issues here as you usually need only one option

-> Recovery:
Depends on what recovery you are using.
On ClockworkMod 5 based recoveries such as CWM 5.0.2.8 or yannou90's variant, you can use the capacitive keys. The search button performs the same function as the power button. (Also, the home and menu let you move around, and back is, well, back).
On touch based recoveries such as TeamWin Recovery (TWRP), there is no issue.

So, do you guys have a similar issue? Any ideas?

Last edited:

Xzan23

May 17, 2012
sometimes when i press the power key to light up my phone, it remains locked (the screen doesnt turn on)...
this happens twice...
then when i press the power button the 3rd time..the screen lights up and displays the lock screen. this happens almost everyday.

i dunno if i can say u and i are facing the same prob or not

xpmode

Aug 26, 2012
Redmi K20 / Xiaomi Mi 9T
It's common with HTC phones. It just happens with any trigger(falling, strong pressing and even the unusually high usage of the buttton in recovery).

The only real way to fix it is to send it to service. If they reject because your bootloader is unlocked, well, then consider a Samsung next time.

nukeblitz

Apr 27, 2012
It's common with HTC phones. It just happens with any trigger(falling, strong pressing and even the unusually high usage of the buttton in recovery).

The only real way to fix it is to send it to service. If they reject because your bootloader is unlocked, well, then consider a Samsung next time.

Um, so, they won't fix it even if you don't claim warranty and you are willing to pay?

Also, why not relock the bootloader?

xpmode

Aug 26, 2012
Redmi K20 / Xiaomi Mi 9T
Um, so, they won't fix it even if you don't claim warranty and you are willing to pay?

Also, why not relock the bootloader?
At least in my country they don't want to. They just told me to go to an unofficial repair shop.

Relocking the bootloader usually doesn't work. They're just lazy and don't want to repair anything, and that pushes them to find excuses.

DanceOff

Feb 20, 2012
New Delhi

Or LG!
they changed the PCB of my bricked phone 4 times (optimus one )
PCB is worth rs.8500 at that titime

Sent from my HTC Explorer A310 using xda app-developers app

nukeblitz

Apr 27, 2012
Or LG!
they changed the PCB of my bricked phone 4 times (optimus one )
PCB is worth rs.8500 at that titime

Sent from my HTC Explorer A310 using xda app-developers app

Hmmm, I didn't know LG had good service.

LG Nexus FTW!

Anyway, I just realized that pressing and holding volume down and power for 2 seconds does rake a screen shot on CM9...that solves the screen shot problem for me

DanceOff

Feb 20, 2012
New Delhi
Sometimes it happens that I actually have to double press for single press action
Its opposite for me !:p
Sent from my HTC Explorer A310e using xda premium

Reactions: xedi95

nukeblitz

Apr 27, 2012
sometimes when i press the power key to light up my phone, it remains locked (the screen doesnt turn on)...
this happens twice...
then when i press the power button the 3rd time..the screen lights up and displays the lock screen. this happens almost everyday.

i dunno if i can say u and i are facing the same prob or not

Sometimes it happens that I actually have to double press for single press action

I added a mention of this in the first post.

If any of you guys get it fixed, let us knew how it goes. xpmode says that HTC doesn't like fixing an unlocked phone even if you are willing to pay and have relocked the bootloader :p

DanceOff

Feb 20, 2012
New Delhi
This is a dumb harware fault by htc

Reason is that we have power button under back panel and a plastic piece in shape of a button that presses that button
This makes a mess

soham.b

Oct 17, 2012
Pune
This happens with me too..!!
but not always...!!
It occurs when I lock or unlock my phn..!!

nukeblitz

Apr 27, 2012
This happens with me too..!!
but not always...!!
It occurs when I lock or unlock my phn..!!

That's how it started for me before it got really bad...

And that's why i made thia thread - I have been using the workarounds mentioned in the first post for a while now

soham.b

Oct 17, 2012
Pune
Volume Button

That's how it started for me before it got really bad...

And that's why i made thia thread - I have been using the workarounds mentioned in the first post for a while now

But while using listening to songs on headphone I have to increase or decrease volume.
So by pressing volume button doesn't wake your device?

nukeblitz

Apr 27, 2012
But while using listening to songs on headphone I have to increase or decrease volume.
So by pressing volume button doesn't wake your device?

It does wake the device - I mentioned that in the first post. The quick controls also become annoying. It's only a real problem for the device to wake up if you have disabled the lick screen as there is potential for random touches...

Xzan23

May 17, 2012
i try my best to use the volume rocker wake button...rarely do i use my power button for waking up my device .... im giving it a rest 24/7 :p

xpmode

Aug 26, 2012
Redmi K20 / Xiaomi Mi 9T
I sent the phone to 2 repair shops, and they refused to repair because of the bootloader(we pay them???) and said it's software, because there's no way to tell if the button is faulty without opening the phone.

What I did was to remove back cover, get a pen with a small point(0,4 or 0,5), locate the pen's point in between the power button, lean the point outside the device and punch the back of the pen with everything I got. Obviously, the button popped off, creating an obvious hardware faulty.

And I was right. I sent it to another(3rd) repair shop and they said hardware, and it was fixed next day. Well, it's a temporary fix, at first day it never double pressed, the second day only one, after a week more frequently but it was far, far better than what it was before repair.

What's the permanent fix? Buy a new device, preferably not HTC.

Reactions: nukeblitz

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    So, I thought I was the only one affected by this but turns out I'm not. I noticed two other people with this issue in the development forum. I'm creating this thread for discussion and possible solutions and workarounds.

EDIT: So, some people have the opposite problem. Nothing happens when the power button is pressed and two are three clicks are required...looks like there are plenty of problems with the explorer's power button design...

Overview of the issue:

-> On affected phones, pressing the power button registers a second press that was not made.

-> It is inconsistent but get progressively worse, happening more frequently.

Summary of effects:

-> While trying to unlock the phone, the phone's lockscreen turns up for a moment before switching off again as the second press is registered.
    The same thing happens while trying to lock but in reverse.

-> Second presses register in the HBOOT menu and in recovery, causing a variety of issues.

-> Power menu options are also affected. The long press opens the power menu but the second press is registered when you let go, which causes the phone to lock.

Some observations:

-> This problem occurs even when using the power key with the back cover removed. It has nothing to do with the power button appearing recessed.

-> The second press is registered when letting go, not when you press the power button.

-> Your choice of ROM doesn't matter. Seems to me that this is clearly a hardware issue.

Solutions and workarounds:

-> Performing a quick tap instead of a regular press seems to help.

-> On CyanogenMod 9 or ROMs based on it, using the option to have the volume buttons wake the device is viable. Downside is that you lose music quick controls.

-> To use the power menu, press and hold till the power menu appears but don't let go. Make your selection with the power button pressed. As mentioned before, the second press is registered when letting go. Don't keep the power pressed too long though.
    There are several ways to perform the same actions as the power button menu, depending on your ROM. That works too.

-> For screenshots,
    On stock or stock based ROMs, press and hold the power button and then tap the home button. Don't press the power button long enough to open the power menu.
    On CM9 based ROMs, press and hold both the power and volume down buttons for 2 seconds.

-> HBOOT:
    No real issues here as you usually need only one option

-> Recovery:
    Depends on what recovery you are using.
    On ClockworkMod 5 based recoveries such as CWM 5.0.2.8 or yannou90's variant, you can use the capacitive keys. The search button performs the same function as the power button. (Also, the home and menu let you move around, and back is, well, back).
    On touch based recoveries such as TeamWin Recovery (TWRP), there is no issue.

So, do you guys have a similar issue? Any ideas?
    Yeah this happens to me also... going back to stock doesn't help. Haven't tried relocking my bootloader

I sent the phone to 2 repair shops, and they refused to repair because of the bootloader(we pay them???) and said it's software, because there's no way to tell if the button is faulty without opening the phone.

What I did was to remove back cover, get a pen with a small point(0,4 or 0,5), locate the pen's point in between the power button, lean the point outside the device and punch the back of the pen with everything I got. Obviously, the button popped off, creating an obvious hardware faulty.

And I was right. I sent it to another(3rd) repair shop and they said hardware, and it was fixed next day. Well, it's a temporary fix, at first day it never double pressed, the second day only one, after a week more frequently but it was far, far better than what it was before repair.

What's the permanent fix? Buy a new device, preferably not HTC.
    For me also Same problem,
    I think after rooting we getting this type problem?
    I have rooted 3 Pico's, 3 also same Power button problem

If it's hardware fault, then software has nothing with it. Looks like it's our device defect.

Sent from my HTC Explorer A310e using xda app-developers app