[Q] Red sensor light on front of GN2

Search This thread

mr_wrong_0

Dec 8, 2008
Colorado
I noticed last night while using my GN2 in the dark that the sensor on the right hand side of the phone, closest to the speaker above the samsung logo has a dim red glow. Does anybody know what this sensor is for?

Yeah I have noticed that mine does that too. I'm glad I'm not the only one. It's likely an ambient light sensor, but I don't know why it would glow. Also mine only does it when the phone is asleep once you turn on the screen it goes away.

VeNuMuS

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles
It the light sensor. If you guys have auto brightness enabled its always glowing to detect the light and adjust the screen brightness accordingly

Last edited:

Subiegsr

Aug 8, 2007
It the light sensor. If you guys have auto brightness enabled its always glowing to detect the light and adjust the screen brightness accordingly

That makes sense. I was thinking it was because I had the hand over the sensor notification thingy turned on.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using xda premium

aramova

Jun 30, 2011
Atlanta, GA

Correction. The red glow people notice is an Infra Red emitter which is used in conjunction with the proximity sensor. The light sensor is the black hole to the right of the red glow people report.

You can test this by using at CMOS based camera (i.e. the camera in another smartphone, or any point-and-shoot digital)

Point the camera at the Galaxy Note's front while the screen is off and you'll see the light is bright white coming from the point where we see the faint red glow. It's most pronoun when tested in a dark room.

This is cause IR emitters are generally just LEDs which work at the far red side of the spectrum and near-visible red light is not a real concern in the applications they're used in. You see this alot on "night time security cameras" that have the arrays of IR LEDs to light up night shows with near 0 LUX cameras.

Also try testing your TV remote against your phone's camera, you'll see it strobe bright light the camera can see but you can't. Get an array of high power IR LEDs and you won't need a flash for you smart phones at night. Lots of fun stuff to do with these.

Jed Dignazio

May 15, 2008
I was actually convinced it was the sensor used to to monitor your eyes for the smart stay feature.

feekhong

Jan 7, 2009
the red light that you see is the night sensor, just wave your hand above the sensor in the dark, a blue notification light will light up and then the top screen will glow showing you the time, missed calls , message and battery percentage. it's awesome...

bl4ckllama

Nov 25, 2012
Connecticut
One word. Skynet.

images

Reactions: ac16313

ac16313

Mar 15, 2011
Phoenix, Arizona
Correction. The red glow people notice is an Infra Red emitter which is used in conjunction with the proximity sensor. The light sensor is the black hole to the right of the red glow people report.

You can test this by using at CMOS based camera (i.e. the camera in another smartphone, or any point-and-shoot digital)

Point the camera at the Galaxy Note's front while the screen is off and you'll see the light is bright white coming from the point where we see the faint red glow. It's most pronoun when tested in a dark room.

This is cause IR emitters are generally just LEDs which work at the far red side of the spectrum and near-visible red light is not a real concern in the applications they're used in. You see this alot on "night time security cameras" that have the arrays of IR LEDs to light up night shows with near 0 LUX cameras.

Also try testing your TV remote against your phone's camera, you'll see it strobe bright light the camera can see but you can't. Get an array of high power IR LEDs and you won't need a flash for you smart phones at night. Lots of fun stuff to do with these.

I'm going to look for ir emitters now thanks lol

RayTrue04

Oct 27, 2010
Hartford, CT
Bunch of dummies! Jk lol.. That is the motion sensor and it turns on when the screen is off because you have quick glance from the motion settings enabled. Turn off screen glance and no more red light when screen is off. Ps screen glance is when your phone is sleep and the swipe of your hand over the red sensor turns on the screen to give you a preview. It also comes on when you're on a call. You guys are welcome for the answer :p :cool:

Sent from my SPH-L900 using xda app-developers app

---------- Post added at 06:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:26 PM ----------

Not true. It is not the light sensor or the reason why it's glowing. ;)

---------- Post added at 06:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:30 PM ----------

That makes sense. I was thinking it was because I had the hand over the sensor notification thingy turned on.

Correct

---------- Post added at 06:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:31 PM ----------

The front facing camera takes care of that.

Yup!

Last edited:

m4xwellmurd3r

Feb 4, 2011
that red glow is the PROXIMITY sensor

My OG Evo had the red light
so did my Evo 3D
and my galaxy SII

it technically isn't even a motion sensor. It just detects when your face is up to the phone (to turn screen off during calls) or when you touch it with the quick glance thing turned on (to turn the screen on)

It doesn't actually detect motion, but instead detects the distance of an object to the sensor

Last edited:

abjc89

Dec 29, 2008
San Francisco
I don't have quick glance on, or any of those motion things, but my proximity sensor seems to get stuck on (and non reactive) every now and then. A reboot to the phone fixes it usually. Anyone else randomly getting it stuck on? I know it doesn't waste much battery at all, but I do know that it confuses apps that use sensor.proximity attributes, so a fix would be nice. I'm complete stock.

coppertop24

Jun 4, 2008

This. is. the. RIGHT. answer.

Jun 6, 2010
Royal Oak, MI
Screen does not come back on when moving it away from your face

The issue I have is that when I make or receive a call once the screen goes off after putting it up to your face it will not come back on even after hitting power or any other keys. It acts like its still up against your face. I flashed back to my recovery and tried several roms but still the same issue. There are no special features on like quick glance. Has anyone else had this issue?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

One word. Skynet.

images