The DIY Workshop | Mods & homemade docks & accessories

Search This thread

AvErNaN

Oct 26, 2012
Hey everyone. I'm waiting the delivery of my new GN and in the meantime I'm planning a desk dock.
I was thinking to have it made so that when I place the phone he knows it, so I can launch something like a "Dock Mode". I thought to use NFC, do you know of some tutorial/tip to make something like that?

And another (more serious) question: I would like to insert a LED to report the charging state of the phone. Mainly a thing like docked -> on LED, removed from dock -> off LED. The only thing about LED I was able to find is the one linked in the first page (I cannot link it, being a new user :D), but he doesn't say how to connect the LED. My biggest fear is that it'll lower the voltage for the phone. Maybe I've said a crazy thing, but I'm totally ignorant about circuits... So every help would be appreciated! :D

subvertz

Feb 9, 2012
Bergen
You are in the right place.

NFC is super simple. There are 2 ways to use it. 1: You can buy blank tags, and use an app to write instructions to the tags internal memory. 2: You can find locked tags, and use their unique ID number to trigger actions stored locally on your phone with a different app. If the tags are only for your personal use, I recommend the app NFC retag from play store. I promise if you can use a Gnex, you can easily teach yourself this app.

As for a charge state LED, it also do-able, but not really needed. Be sure to select a 5V renge LED, and place it inline with either of the wires. Don't worry, they draw next to no current, so it won't significantly lower your charge rate. Selecting a low rating charger will, however.

AvErNaN

Oct 26, 2012
Hey, thanks for the answer and for the tip regarding NFC!
Regarding the LED: I now it's almost useless, but I want to use it to make the dock nicer. But I read that, using a LED, you should limit the current through it to max some mA. And this is not done in your configuration. Am I wrong?

In the meantime I had a "great" (a little exaggerated :p) idea involving an Arduino. Now my question is: there is a way to power both phone and Arduino from the same USB? Maybe with an USB hub?

Thank you! :D

Sent from my GT-S5830 using xda app-developers app

zuberio

Sep 20, 2010
Mississauga, ON
Hey, thanks for the answer and for the tip regarding NFC!
Regarding the LED: I now it's almost useless, but I want to use it to make the dock nicer. But I read that, using a LED, you should limit the current through it to max some mA. And this is not done in your configuration. Am I wrong?

In the meantime I had a "great" (a little exaggerated :p) idea involving an Arduino. Now my question is: there is a way to power both phone and Arduino from the same USB? Maybe with an USB hub?

Thank you! :D

Sent from my GT-S5830 using xda app-developers app

Check out this thread - http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1614287&page=18

dlazaros

Dec 13, 2010
Athens
Hello every one.

I want to mod the original 2000mh extended battery to fit the stock battery door.
Any advice on how to down size the battery (remove wrapping and nfc chip) and dremel the original door to make it fit?

Thank you.

subvertz

Feb 9, 2012
Bergen
Hello every one.

I want to mod the original 2000mh extended battery to fit the stock battery door.
Any advice on how to down size the battery (remove wrapping and nfc chip) and dremel the original door to make it fit?

Thank you.
On the first post there is a link on combining 2 batteries that shows removing the sticker and NFC, but that is minimal thickness. Nobody has tried dremeling the plastic endcaps. The battery is solid packed with plates, because they want as much power in there as possible.
You can modify the backplate. You'll be pioneering new territory there. If you go there be sure to take pictures for us that are less brave.
Some people just run without a back cover, and use a case to hold the battery in. Consider it.

dlazaros

Dec 13, 2010
Athens
Thank you subvertz.

Ok, so the project is how to get the 65mm down or close to the 57mm of the stock battery. I will need to skim 8mm. I have calculated that if I remove the sticker and the nfc chip I will get 2-3mm, and can dremel the inside of the cover another 2mm. That leaves me shy about 3mm. I could dremel the inside of the phone or the bottom where the battery sits but I may need to sell the phone one day...

I am waiting for a replacement cover to experiment on just in case I mess up.

Another idea is to use one of those metal battery covers that have the aluminum plate on top of the plastic and shave the entire plastic with dremel creating a "compartment" and still have the aluminum keep the battery in.

All of the above have the following flaw... geometry!

The way the cover is designed it creates a narrow angle on the bottom and then goes straight. if I do not find a way to get the battery down another 1-2mm I cannot follow the geometry.

In case one is wondering why on earth would someone go through all this hassle.... the answer is: because I can!

Any ideas are welcome, I could even try to thermoform the cover in new ways or dissect the battery out of its shell and try to skim it even more.

subvertz

Feb 9, 2012
Bergen
I think its a good and worthy project, I only doubt the ability of the back cover to hold shut when you try to shove too much inside.
Also, I think your measurements are off by a factor of 10. The Galaxy Nexus is only 8.94 mm thick.
After cramming a plam pre inductive charging coil behind my cover, I know well the geometry problem you are speaking of. You can over come it by slightly flexing the plastic cover, which leaves a bulge. The cover will stay, but not well. The snaps one side or the other tends to pop out.
Thermoforming will help the shape, but it will also pulls the snaps further away from thier fully engaged positions. You could thermally strech it, but it will show in the grid texture pattern.
The easy answer is of course using a proper extended battery cover.
Good luck with the dremeling, I hope its not too thin!

dlazaros

Dec 13, 2010
Athens
thank you, you are right. 0,57 and 0,65mm.

I have the extended cover...I just dont like how it "transforms" the feel. its like another phone.
Also the grip is not as "rubbery" like the stock (can try clear plasti dip though...).

What I am aiming if the math does not add up is to create a new cover with different geometry that looks better on the phone, if that makes sense.
Will try some versions on the drawing board and see what is achievable.

dlazaros

Dec 13, 2010
Athens
OK, so the project took another turn.

I spend the last few days looking at the 2 batteries, the extended and the stock (both samsung original) and it bothered me on the question: why is the extended thicker just enough not to fit with the standard back door?
So I took the dare and what the heck, it is only 25 euros to answer the question!

So I stripped the battery!

To my surprise I discovered that I have been fooled! The extended battery could have been crafted in such a way to fit the standard door!
On the photos you will see some steps I took and I will need to find a second camera to show the end result.

When you remove the sticker you see the nfc chip.
When you remove the nfc chip there is a lip/recess were it was sitting
The lip is just tall enough as the nfc on the side plastics
The bottom plastic cap was removed and so was the top
The plastic on the bottom needed to be shaped in such a way as to follow the angle of the battery door
Magic! The battery door sits in its place and is totally flat and the angle is as it was with the stock battery!
I have the feeling that if I sand down just the little part in the middle of the door to make it flush, then I would have zero strain in the door and it would not unlatch as easy but not too much to let the battery wiggle inside it.

I will post pictures of the phone with it tomorrow.

IMG_20121101_222811.jpg

IMG_20121101_223529.jpg

IMG_20121101_223520.jpg

IMG_20121101_223013.jpg

IMG_20121101_222950.jpg

IMG_20121101_222908.jpg

IMG_20121101_222850.jpg

subvertz

Feb 9, 2012
Bergen
Great discovery! You should start a new thread on this so we can suggest it as an XDA news topic.
Of course this means, Samsung has been selling us batteries partly filled with extra plastic and air.

Reactions: Xerrus

dlazaros

Dec 13, 2010
Athens
Thank you subvertz, I may start a new thread as soon as I get the replacement back cover I ordered on ebay.

As soon as I get it I will sand down just a little the inside of the cover to make the snaps more secure. It snaps in place now but I am missing just a hair of a mm to be comfortable with it as the original cover has a small extruding part shown in my photo to keep the battery down and not move. With the extended battery I do not need that extra plastic.

But yes, samsung marketing tactics in order to buy an extended battery is to make it just enough thicker (with plastics) to need an extended cover. If they didn't do that then people would go nuts that they didn't make the phone originally with a 2000mah battery, or pay 35$ for it. You see you pay easier for a battery and a cover than just a battery...

Reactions: breadland

kyogoku

Sep 15, 2011
Hi All, I bought a Gameklip universal mount and used it with a case like it's supposed to. Recently I got tired from changing my case just to play a game, thus I need a flexible alternative of the case. My idea is to find a car holder that have the following requirements :
1. Holder only, or if it's a bundling with the base like a suction it should be able to remove easily.
2. It has a flat back surface as in a case. So that I can attached the gameklip to it using a super glue or something.
3. It's not bulky or sturdy. A slim model would be great.

Please advice... Thx in advance ;)

Top Liked Posts