[Q] Nexus 10 vs. iPad 4th G: Gaming aspect

Search This thread

jeromejeremytay

Mar 9, 2011
Kuching
Xiaomi Mi A2
OnePlus 8T
Hello. I know both devices are not in market yet so there is no certainty which one is better, but I'm just doing a survey. I'm planning to get a 9"++ size tablet mainly for gaming only but I dono which one is my best bet.

I would like to know which tablet (Android vs iOS) is best for gaming in terms of variety of games, quality, fluidity and optimization. A year ago there is no doubt ipad is the best tablet for gaming, while android tablets are the best for tweaking and custom rom-ing. This time the table has turned thanks to samsung's nexus 10 with its ultimate specs and the official game support from Gameloft (which they verified it few days ago).

Now I just wanna compare both tablets in terms of gaming experiences, nothing to do with specs, developer supports and cost.

Ok to keep it short and sweet, which OS gives the best gaming experience? Android or IOS? Thanks!

Sent from my Nokia 3310

saadi703

Jan 26, 2007
Hello. I know both devices are not in market yet so there is no certainty which one is better, but I'm just doing a survey. I'm planning to get a 9"++ size tablet mainly for gaming only but I dono which one is my best bet.

I would like to know which tablet (Android vs iOS) is best for gaming in terms of variety of games, quality, fluidity and optimization. A year ago there is no doubt ipad is the best tablet for gaming, while android tablets are the best for tweaking and custom rom-ing. This time the table has turned thanks to samsung's nexus 10 with its ultimate specs and the official game support from Gameloft (which they verified it few days ago).

Now I just wanna compare both tablets in terms of gaming experiences, nothing to do with specs, developer supports and cost.

Ok to keep it short and sweet, which OS gives the best gaming experience? Android or IOS? Thanks!

Sent from my Nokia 3310

Its an open secret. iOS is better in gaming both in no of games available and quality of games. The hardware also run iOS games better because of powerful GPU in iPads.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda premium

BAR7MAN

Oct 17, 2012
Its an open secret. iOS is better in gaming both in no of games available and quality of games. The hardware also run iOS games better because of powerful GPU in iPads.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda premium

This is true. IPad is a solid tablet. I just wish it had android on it :sly:

Sent from my SGSIII

keenraven

Sep 29, 2012
Hold on a sec. True, iPad has better variety of games. However, android has several distinct advantages as well.

1. Controller support- I plug in my 360 controller and play games, console quality games like Dead Trigger, no tweaking necessary. OTG adapter. You can also use a bluetooth PS3 controller with a bit of software.

2. HDMI out- Although the iPad can do video out, I've found it to struggle with games. Not exactly sure why. This is the iPad 3rd gen I've been using, so this may not be as much of an issue with the more powerful 4gen.

3. finally, EMULATORS. None are available for the iPad, but the Nexus 10 will allow you to play... pretty much any classic game, up through playstation and Nintendo 64. If you want to look at number of games including emulator possibilities, the Nexus destroys the iPad. It's pretty magical to plug a tablet into a big screen, and play super smash brothers, or crash bandicoot, with a controller.

---------- Post added at 12:35 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:32 AM ----------

also, while there are many games available for both tablets, a lot of them don't measure up to the classics in terms of gameplay. Can anyone point out a game as charming, well-controlled, deep, and inventive as Yoshi's Island on either app store? I love playing it on my SNES, and it's even better on my Nexus 7.

jeromejeremytay

Mar 9, 2011
Kuching
Xiaomi Mi A2
OnePlus 8T
I hope my topic here doesn't not create any fire here, don't want anything like we always see on youtube and gsmarena.. well I do play lots of emulated games on my sgt7 using fpse, but now it's on bootloop and have not much time to read the whole thread just to find the solution now.. well we see that ipad is indeed better in gaming wise.

I tried to stay from android tablets because i really want a tablet just to play games, I know that if I have nexus 10 in my hands, the first thing I will do is to root it and flash custom roms with it, which is quite a problem to flash roms here and there while try to keep the games in place (I know nandroid will help but sometimes cwm doesn't not backup the whole rom properly)

I played Gangstar and Asphalt 6 on ipad 2 and my sgt7, the iPad was far better than my tab. I just hope google will try to collaborate with few developers to optimise their nexus line, then it would be comparable to ipad in terms of gaming!

Sent from my Nokia 3310

t_007_v2

Jul 23, 2012
Don't forget about custom kernels.... Most likely after developers get their hands on the device I would expect a 30% performance increase at least. Look at the N7 1.3ghz stock to 1.8ghz with a performance kernel. Look at the N7 gpu 416mhz to 700mhz (;

So the benchmarks their getting on stock are good and Imo there only going to get better... Sixaxis with a blue tooth ps3 remote is good times indeed. Custom ROMS and launchers blow apple crap out of the water.

Imo google is coming on strong and apple crap is just holding on.

s-ANDROID-MARKET-SHARE-large300.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

Gaugerer

Sep 9, 2011

Sent from my Nokia 3310

The almost square shape of the iPad screen has been abandoned by everyone in favour of wide screen and even Apple have ditched it on the iPhone 5 so they are slowly seeing sense.

The wide screen format is great for viewing media and playing games with the front facing speakers on the Nexus 10 are great for stereo. You can also display two apps running on a wide screen and view two book pages better than the 4:3 screen of the iPad.

Now that Apple have switched to wide screen for the iPhone 5 it should not be too long before the iPad and iPad mini changes to wide screen too.

jeromejeremytay

Mar 9, 2011
Kuching
Xiaomi Mi A2
OnePlus 8T
The ratio on ipad is just plain ridiculous, a tablet that doesn't make a difference whether you're on portrait or landscape mode. Like someone mentioned, how he wished an android on ipad. I will for a nexus 10 with quality and quantity games..

Ps vita was one of the options I had mind when I was sleeping last night. But I'll pass that.

Sent from my Nokia 3310

tigger360

Nov 9, 2011
I tried to stay from android tablets because i really want a tablet just to play games, I know that if I have nexus 10 in my hands, the first thing I will do is to root it and flash custom roms with it, which is quite a problem to flash roms here and there while try to keep the games in place (I know nandroid will help but sometimes cwm doesn't not backup the whole rom properly)

Sent from my Nokia 3310

Just wanted to let u know that the new version of Titanium Backup Pro lets u make flashable zip files of your games and data. Maybe this will help u and other flash-a-holics :)

scottyd035ntknow

Dec 8, 2010
iCrap 4:3 screen is just stupid stupid stupid. Who the hell watches ANYTHING on a 4:3 screen anymore unless you are forced to at some old bar/restaurant becasue they still have ancient 27" CRTs on wobbly mounts circa 1999 just waiting to fall down and kill someone?

Not sure you want to be looking at a tablet for gaming though, as an example I just picked up a full blown 17" gaming laptop on sale back in September for $520 shipped which is right around what the 64GB Nexus will cost. Crossfired video cards, quad core AMD and 6 gigs of ram right out of the box. Running Skyrim on Ultra with a bunch of mods enabled to make it look even prettier and there are going to be a bazillion sales with the holidays coming up so you might want to get a laptop if gaming is your thing.

But yeah, IMO the Nexus 10 is the better of the two tablets easy and Android is only catching up to Apple in terms of apps. There is also the Asus Transformer Infinity to look at which has the brilliant idea of a SD card slot (really Google/Samsung, you couldn't even have the decency to put a microSD slot in this monster somewhere?) I hear that the Transformer has issues with constant reboots and is glitchy though.

SilverHedgehog

Oct 30, 2010
Cupertino
iCrap 4:3 screen is just stupid stupid stupid. Who the hell watches ANYTHING on a 4:3 screen anymore unless you are forced to at some old bar/restaurant becasue they still have ancient 27" CRTs on wobbly mounts circa 1999 just waiting to fall down and kill someone?

Not sure you want to be looking at a tablet for gaming though, as an example I just picked up a full blown 17" gaming laptop on sale back in September for $520 shipped which is right around what the 64GB Nexus will cost. Crossfired video cards, quad core AMD and 6 gigs of ram right out of the box. Running Skyrim on Ultra with a bunch of mods enabled to make it look even prettier and there are going to be a bazillion sales with the holidays coming up so you might want to get a laptop if gaming is your thing.

But yeah, IMO the Nexus 10 is the better of the two tablets easy and Android is only catching up to Apple in terms of apps. There is also the Asus Transformer Infinity to look at which has the brilliant idea of a SD card slot (really Google/Samsung, you couldn't even have the decency to put a microSD slot in this monster somewhere?) I hear that the Transformer has issues with constant reboots and is glitchy though.

"iCrap"
And that's exactly where I stopped reading your post.

scottyd035ntknow

Dec 8, 2010
You probably should have read more, because he has a point.

Sent from my HTC Rezound

Thank you. And yes I'll re-iterate for the Apple slaves out there. Buying a tablet for gaming is POINTLESS if you are going to spend ipad/nexus 10 prices. If you are going to run alot of games you are going to need the higher memory devices so you're looking at $600 for the Nexus and a few $hundred more for the ipad. I got a new quad core, dual video card 17" laptop from Newegg back at the end of September for $520 shipped. Is it an Alienware? No it isn't but it runs all the newest games on high-ultra settings and it fits just fine in my Targus backpack so its portable enough.

SilverHedgehog

Oct 30, 2010
Cupertino
Thank you. And yes I'll re-iterate for the Apple slaves out there. Buying a tablet for gaming is POINTLESS if you are going to spend ipad/nexus 10 prices. If you are going to run alot of games you are going to need the higher memory devices so you're looking at $600 for the Nexus and a few $hundred more for the ipad. I got a new quad core, dual video card 17" laptop from Newegg back at the end of September for $520 shipped. Is it an Alienware? No it isn't but it runs all the newest games on high-ultra settings and it fits just fine in my Targus backpack so its portable enough.

Ok, cool, you don't think that tablets are good for gaming. Why the **** do you have to insult Apple users, though?
"iCrap"? "Apple slaves"? What's with all the bull**** nicknames, Mr. Fandroid? Android devices are in the same league here, and you just insult one group - as usual calling them all idiots and the devices crap.

You know, a gaming laptop is a bad option for people that actually want a portable device. 17 inch screen. That's almost twice the size of an iPad. I also bet that it's 4 times thicker, and the battery lasts for like two hours. So yeah. It's not portable at all, and sure as hell won't work for portable gaming.

If anything, iPad is the best option here. It's not even about which one has a better GPU (in this case the iPad), it's how optimized it is. This is one advantage iOS has over Android: since there is a small amount of devices, developers can optimize their games to run well on them - even if they don't have the latest specs.

Reactions: jeromejeremytay

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Your laptop will perform like crap in a year, and you call 17 inches portable? You are out of your mind.
    Games aren't just about the graphics, they're about the FUN. Yes, a console won't have all the cool SFX, but that's not the point of gaming.

Nexus 7 isn't really better - even if the screen has a higher resolution, it's still crap - the colors are all washed out.
    And you are lucky if you find a model that doesn't have any issues - when I ordered mine, the first tablet had screen lift, and I keep reading stories about people ordering third or fourth tablets.

And cut this **** out with 'iCrap' and 'iSlaves'. You know, people may have different opinions from you. Maybe they don't want to bother with custom ROMs, with ASUS and Google support, with the Play Store, which has no tablet apps at all. Maybe they want to use all the apps they bought for the 10 inch iPad on a smaller device.
    All those people want is a tablet that just works - and iPad Mini delivers on that, unlike the Nexus.

So yeah, get real. Just because not everyone such a nerd, and doesn't need the latest hardware, doesn't mean they're a sheep or a slave or an idiot.

Enjoy throwing away money at apple and their outrageous profit margins.

This is an android forum and you will see apple bashing. Deal the F* with it. On an apple forum android will be bashed and anyone supporting android will get bullied on the site, well same goes here.

anyways talking about portability enjoy:

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4209#kf

and come on REALLY OUYA?!?!?!?!? That **** is basically mobile games on a big screen. You are better off getting the ultrabook. Atleast on that you have access to full blown games and a huge library of steam and indy games. OR you could just get the vita. Either way both are better for gaming than an ipad/android.
    Hold on a sec. True, iPad has better variety of games. However, android has several distinct advantages as well.

1. Controller support- I plug in my 360 controller and play games, console quality games like Dead Trigger, no tweaking necessary. OTG adapter. You can also use a bluetooth PS3 controller with a bit of software.

2. HDMI out- Although the iPad can do video out, I've found it to struggle with games. Not exactly sure why. This is the iPad 3rd gen I've been using, so this may not be as much of an issue with the more powerful 4gen.

3. finally, EMULATORS. None are available for the iPad, but the Nexus 10 will allow you to play... pretty much any classic game, up through playstation and Nintendo 64. If you want to look at number of games including emulator possibilities, the Nexus destroys the iPad. It's pretty magical to plug a tablet into a big screen, and play super smash brothers, or crash bandicoot, with a controller.

---------- Post added at 12:35 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:32 AM ----------

also, while there are many games available for both tablets, a lot of them don't measure up to the classics in terms of gameplay. Can anyone point out a game as charming, well-controlled, deep, and inventive as Yoshi's Island on either app store? I love playing it on my SNES, and it's even better on my Nexus 7.
    For gaming you should just get either the vita, a gaming notebook (msi ge60 is really thin) or the gigabyte U2442N gaming ultrabook. ios and android are scums of the gaming world. Because of these devices the gaming world has turned backwards and has financial issues.

Ok, cool, you don't think that tablets are good for gaming. Why the **** do you have to insult Apple users, though?
    "iCrap"? "Apple slaves"? What's with all the bull**** nicknames, Mr. Fandroid? Android devices are in the same league here, and you just insult one group - as usual calling them all idiots and the devices crap.

You know, a gaming laptop is a bad option for people that actually want a portable device. 17 inch screen. That's almost twice the size of an iPad. I also bet that it's 4 times thicker, and the battery lasts for like two hours. So yeah. It's not portable at all, and sure as hell won't work for portable gaming.

If anything, iPad is the best option here. It's not even about which one has a better GPU (in this case the iPad), it's how optimized it is. This is one advantage iOS has over Android: since there is a small amount of devices, developers can optimize their games to run well on them - even if they don't have the latest specs.
    Rofl, Xbox and PS3 games are dumbed down graphically vs their computer counterparts. A game optimized for a powerful computer rig is going to look almost like a CGI movie, a game on the Xbox or PS3, while looking pretty good, will not.

And I do stand by my stance that those who just rush out and grab up the latest and greatest Apple whatsits like all the sheep who helped sell out a CLEARLY inferior product in the ipad mini are iSlaves. Am I an Android fanboy? I would say I'm a fan of Android yes but if Apple came out with an omfgwtfbbq product that really innovated like they did back in the day I'd be all over it but they haven't. The Nexus 10 is easily better just for the display alone, don't even get me started on the 7" tablet sector where the Nexus 7 is so far and away better it isn't even funny.

Your laptop will perform like crap in a year, and you call 17 inches portable? You are out of your mind.
    Games aren't just about the graphics, they're about the FUN. Yes, a console won't have all the cool SFX, but that's not the point of gaming.

Nexus 7 isn't really better - even if the screen has a higher resolution, it's still crap - the colors are all washed out.
    And you are lucky if you find a model that doesn't have any issues - when I ordered mine, the first tablet had screen lift, and I keep reading stories about people ordering third or fourth tablets.

And cut this **** out with 'iCrap' and 'iSlaves'. You know, people may have different opinions from you. Maybe they don't want to bother with custom ROMs, with ASUS and Google support, with the Play Store, which has no tablet apps at all. Maybe they want to use all the apps they bought for the 10 inch iPad on a smaller device.
    All those people want is a tablet that just works - and iPad Mini delivers on that, unlike the Nexus.

So yeah, get real. Just because not everyone such a nerd, and doesn't need the latest hardware, doesn't mean they're a sheep or a slave or an idiot.