Official Nook HD/ HD+ Discussion (thoughts, tweaks, and hacks)

Search This thread

dbh369

Nov 4, 2007
Philadelphia
Just got mine (HD+) in the mail. Pretty nice, but boring which I have Jelly Belly on my GNex... Sorry I'm not a dev so can't help much, but let me know if you need a tester...

fattire

Inactive Recognized Developer
Oct 11, 2010
www.eff.org
Just got mine (HD+) in the mail. Pretty nice, but boring which I have Jelly Belly on my GNex... Sorry I'm not a dev so can't help much, but let me know if you need a tester...

can you use adb and show the results of these commands:

$ mount
$ df
$ cat /proc/partitions

This would be... helpful.

dong1225

Jan 18, 2011
does anyone have the adb drivers for the nook hd+?

You can get them from Barnes and Noble developer program site: https://nookdeveloper.barnesandnoble.com

If you've signed up for the program and logged into the account, this link should be available: https://nookdeveloper.zendesk.com/entries/22084221-windows-drivers-for-nook

Or just use my mirror (if it's still up for whoever reads this that is): http://cl.ly/KklO

Here's B&N's own instructions to install it on Windows: https://nookdeveloper.zendesk.com/e...loper-start-up-guide#_Install_Android_Drivers

I had problem installing it on my Windows 8 partition so I just did the adb process in OS X without problem.

Last edited:

roustabout

Feb 12, 2011
I'll second the 'these are kinda annoying, as ADB USB drivers go' sentiment.

Pay close attention to the guide, it's quite good.

If you hurry, you'll probably spend a lot more time figuring out what step you skipped than if you take your time. (this was my experience, anyhow.)

someone0

May 5, 2010
BTW there is one thing I notice when I coldboot the nook while the cable is hooked to the pc. The device manager for a brief moment show another device "OMAP4470" then disappear. I don't know what it does or how to retain that mode. I have tried different key combination. I guess it's something similar to odin or nvflash?

One important big note: ONCE ENABLE ADB, YOU HAVE TO REBOOT FOR ADB TO TAKE EFFECT. Now after factory reset I can have ADB w/o going through skip OOBE or register.

Last edited:

les02jen17

Jun 10, 2011
Manila
I started this thread hoping to get you guys opinions... and now it's looking like everyone seems to be interested in developing it! :D I'm really torn now. I was hoping to wait for the 3G version of the Nexus 7... but I like the Nook HD's design and the fact that it has a micro SD slot too... aww! :confused:

Reactions: meteorrock

someone0

May 5, 2010
could you do a sysdump?
We can't remount nor we have root access, so a sysdump won't be complete?

---------- Post added at 10:14 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:10 AM ----------

I started this thread hoping to get you guys opinions... and now it's looking like everyone seems to be interested in developing it! :D I'm really torn now. I was hoping to wait for the 3G version of the Nexus 7... but I like the Nook HD's design and the fact that it has a micro SD slot too... aww! :confused:
I gave you my opinion on post count #95

dong1225

Jan 18, 2011
Ugh multiple forums aren't needed/helpful. But anyway, there are ideas being looked at. Could go nowhere.

Yeah, I've posted on New Device Forum request thread, but no separate forum for HD/HD+ yet. I think we should consolidate all discussion to this one for the time being.

you dont need to remount, nor need root.

adb pull /system

;)

Here's my result: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/2494821/system.zip (should finish upload soon)
MD5 = a82583bd409365d6b5a973bdd33d5992
SHA1= 408e069af5120015662da3aa57bc9ae9cab32f16
Folder is 504.4MB unzipped on OS X

I've been installing some stuff over adb but that shouldn't have affected anything on /system right? (I'm not exactly experienced on Android :silly:)

someone0

May 5, 2010
does it matter if you do system pull on linux or pc, meaning does it preserve the attribution? Also would system pull from factory rest be any diff from user registered, meaning used?

Reactions: meteorrock

gr8wing

Nov 13, 2007
Sedro Woolley, WA
I don't have much in the way of android skills, but I do like to play with this stuff. I just picked up a HD+ and so far so good. I have sideloaded most of my apps and also sideloaded go launcher so when you hit the nook button, you get a choice between nook or go. You can sideload play, but it will not open up. Youtube, netflix, slingplayer, MXplayer all work. Have not had a chance to play with bluetooth yet. A couple of nice things.... You have access to all of the internal memory, it is not chopped up into different places. The SD card is easier to access and you don't have to remove the tab from the cover to access it.

I would be nice if someone would finally get a Nook HD forum running so we don't have info spread out all over the place. Other than that, if I figure other stuff out, I'll throw a post out there.

someone0

May 5, 2010
Here's my result: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/2494821/system.zip (should finish upload soon)
MD5 = a82583bd409365d6b5a973bdd33d5992
SHA1= 408e069af5120015662da3aa57bc9ae9cab32f16
Folder is 504.4MB unzipped on OS X
Aside from the obvious checksum different(from mine), when I did the system pull from my Windows 7 notebook, mine only come out to 480 MB (503,572,713 bytes) or 482 MB (505,929,728 bytes) on disk, obviously it's the cluster size dependency. Mine show 1030 files and 66 folders in total. Sorry I haven't have time to setup a linux box/VM to check this out. The only working linux box I have is my server which I'm not gonna mess w/ this stuff. I'm just not sure why the 24.4MB in size difference? BTW, mine is pull after factory reset and w/o any registration or skip OOBE. Sorry but I have no dropbox or any file sharing account. If there is a place I can up the 230MB zip file then i would upload mine.

Addendum 1:
I should say there are some interesting file-names here.
/system/app/FmService.apk - is that FM radio?
/system/bin/exfatck - support for exfat?
/system/bin/ip6tables - IPv6?
/system/bin/make_ext4fs - ext4 file system?
/system/framework/fmradioif.jar

Last edited:

dong1225

Jan 18, 2011
Aside from the obvious checksum different(from mine), when I did the system pull from my Windows 7 notebook, mine only come out to 480 MB (503,572,713 bytes) or 482 MB (505,929,728 bytes) on disk, obviously it's the cluster size dependency. Mine show 1030 files and 66 folders in total. Sorry I haven't have time to setup a linux box/VM to check this out. The only working linux box I have is my server which I'm not gonna mess w/ this stuff. I'm just not sure why the 24.4MB in size difference? BTW, mine is pull after factory reset and w/o any registration or skip OOBE. Sorry but I have no dropbox or any file sharing account. If there is a place I can up the 230MB zip file then i would upload mine.

Addendum 1:
I should say there are some interesting file-names here.
/system/app/FmService.apk - is that FM radio?
/system/bin/exfatck - support for exfat?
/system/bin/ip6tables - IPv6?
/system/bin/make_ext4fs - ext4 file system?
/system/framework/fmradioif.jar

Nook HD+ does seem to support ExFAT, and in fact seems to format the SD card to ExFAT format when you chose to "Erase SD card" from the system options. I was somewhat surprised to find that but given that B&N touts support of SDXC cards and that they'd need to support saving 1080p movies larger than 4GB, it was probably necessary.

*Edit: Seems like I was wrong. Specs page only states support up to 32GB/Micro SDHC cards. So it seems like it's there entirely for larger file support.

Last edited:
Reactions: bytte

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    While i cant believe I have to say this, i just want to remind people of a few things:

1) Sending me irate or threatening PMs will not produce a Nook HD board any faster. I would love for you guys to have your own forum, and if I could do it, it would already be done.

2) My job here is to keep my assigned boards clean and on topic; sadly, while they are made by the same company, the HD is not the same device (only similar in passing). Just like discussion of the S III does not belong on an S II board, so too is the NC board not right for the HD.

Again, while most people wil not see it this way, I am not trying to be a jerk, nor am I trying to hurt to community that i love; but like you all, i am bound to follow the rules. As it is, i urge people to stop for a second, and realize that while i could have closed THIS thread, i do not want to do flat out evict people. If people want me to rename this to be a general thread, i am happy to do that in the interest of working with everyone. In the meantime, get your voice heard, and pkst on the forum request thread. The staff needs to know that there will be a sizable community for the device..
    Realistically speaking how far are we from being able to boot CM10 on the HD+?

Not sure about you.
    Mine just booted into CM10 a few hours ago ;)

So, it may or may not help, but I am personally raising the request where I can {I won't say more than that}. No promise, it it is at least something I can do to help..

Stay tuned..
    In the mean time, in talking to my leaders, we have a compromise for HD threads in the meantime.. Changes incoming..
    Yes it was linked successfully. I think verygreen said that missing files are ok, new symlinks are ok, but changed files that are on the list are not ok because the checksum does not match. Files are checked individually.

Symlinks are basically "file does not exist" from the checksum checking routinue. What it does is it reads file names off the /manifest file and then checks if the file is a regular file, if it is, checksum is verified, if it's not a regular file (i.e. symlink, or missing, or a dir), checksum is not verrified and the file is ignored.
    Any regular files not listed in /manifest is also grounds to failing secure check.

the /manifest file is located on a signed ramdisk, so it requires fixing the bootloader to not check the signatures anymore, which is a lot of hassle just for rooting (though not all that hard to do, there are truck-sized holes left by B&N still), another problem is next upload most likely will update kernel+ramdisk again and that would start the bootlooping.
    If we make bootloader to skip any signature checking, no need to calculate manifest checksums at all, just kill the file, or set ro.secure property to 0 which makes init to ignore any differences of /system with content of /manifest.
    If there really is a lot of interest in this, I see an opening that does nto require any bootloader changes, but will change boot image, so it will need to be reapplied on updates. I am trying not to give out all my cards right now, since B&N proved to be pretty reactive and they do close holes we expose, and if I expose all of them at once, I am afraid liberating future devices would be more complicated.

I am sorry I am causing you all suffering with your trial/errors that result in bootloops if you do something wrong. I'll try to release a cwm sdcard real soon that will let you intercept the 8-times bootloops if you mess up and correct the issue without factory resets.