what I need to do when buying a used Note 2

Search This thread

sos_sifou

Mar 30, 2009
Algiers
www.sifou.jimdo.com
Hello dear Xda members
I am planing to get a Note 2 tomorrow and I need your help to make a list of the most important things to check when buying a USED Note 2.
I have some ideas and I would like to have your suggestions :)
  1. First of all, I need to check the screen, the body, and the back cover for scratches or cracks, and of course the camera lens (thanks hagba).
  2. the stylus (most of time the presence of the stylus).
  3. the charging port, the Sim slot and the memory slot (for cracks or something left inside).
  4. then I turn it ON, and the first thing I need to do is to check whether it still has the old owner docs or not (most of time his pictures).
  5. what firmware its running.
  6. Rooted or not.
  7. then I need to install some apps like the dead pixels test (it shows basic colors on full screen to spot a specific dead pixel and it color, I do have a bad experience with dead pixels as my last 7.7 tab has one and I didn't spot it when I purchased it).
  8. *#0*# this code can be very useful to run tests of almost all components of the device, including vibrator, screen, drop test, light sensor... (thanks sanghaviraj)
  9. Put a sim in it and start testing network, bluetooth, GPS, and WIFI if possible (thanks Bl!GhT)
  10. Also I need to know how the stylus perform on the screen (whether its not responsive enough or not at all, or on a specific surface of the screen).
  11. then the overall experience of the system and switching between apps.
  12. battery life can't be measured during this test, so if the seller is honest, he can give me at least two days for testing the battery and other stuff that do not appear in the first time (but later, when you can't return it !)
  13. thanks dr.ketan
    One and important thing is ask for original bill of device which he got while he purchased. And confirm IMEI is same on
    dialling *#06#
    Back of device
    And on bill

Sent from my GT-N7100 using xda premium
  14. thanks T511 and djembey
    First of all if its possible check its chip. If its 0xf1 avoid it because of sds ( sudden death syndrome ) even if everybody say that latest firmware updates and roms have fixes from sds just to be sure that you are safe try to buy one with chip 0xf7 or other which are not affected sds syndrome.

First of all, I'll install this https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.vinagre.android.emmc_check It's simple app to check the chip. Sane or insane
  15. thanks bushako
    1. Have a look at the water damage indicator beneath the battery.
    2. Check all the screws and see if they are not tampered.
    3. Play some songs on full volume and see if you hear anything abnormal with the speakers, that is another way to indicate water damage.
    4. Also there's an application called stability test from Google play store, run it for 10-20minutes and check to see any errors.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

> The duration of this test is about 10 to 20 minutes.
well, I am running out of ideas, if you have something to add, please go ahead :)
I will update or modify the OP when needed.

regards
Sifou

Last edited:

hagba

Nov 9, 2008
Yerevan
First thing I would do is check the camera quality,if it is not as good as your point & shoot camera quality,then just turn your back and walk away.

Reactions: sos_sifou

sos_sifou

Mar 30, 2009
Algiers
www.sifou.jimdo.com
Thanks for the input, but I think that all what I can do is to check the lens of the camera, I can't compare the picture quality to anything because I don't know how good it should be on a working Note 2 :'( (the note 2 isn't lunched yet in my country)

Reactions: nicholes

nicholes

Mar 7, 2012
indore
i was going to start a new thread but then i found this one .i am very new to android OS (i am using nokia n900)
Someone is selling his Note2 and i cannot trust him nor he will give any money back guarantee.what else can i check.
i am running out of idea. i am nerves what to do to make myself assured that i am not going to be cheated. please give more tips
Thanks in advance

T511

Account currently disabled
Mar 22, 2012
GB
meettomy.site
First of all if its possible check its chip. If its 0xf1 avoid it because of sds ( sudden death syndrome ) even if everybody say that latest firmware updates and roms have fixes from sds just to be sure that you are safe try to buy one with chip 0xf7 or other which are not affected sds syndrome.

nicholes

Mar 7, 2012
indore

Thanks for all quick reply

i just want to ask a simple question "Is 0xf1 is the only chip which has sds ( sudden death syndrome )problem ?"
or
is every chip is good and not affacted by the sds except 0xf1 ? as for the last post

and as last post says...

First of all, I'll install this https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.vinagre.android.emmc_check It's simple app to check the chip. Sane or insane (SDS)
Second of all, do all things from your list
Finally, don't forget your wallet ;)

Sent from my GT-I9305 using xda app-developers app

is there any other way to check the chip?
EDIT:- from where can i get installation file for that app?(is it even possible) because if there is no internet available i would transfer the file via Bluetooth from my mobile and install it in note2

Thanks for all those quick and kind reply

Last edited:

DjeMBeY

Dec 23, 2011
London, UK
www.soundcloud.com
is there any other way to check the chip?
EDIT:- from where can i get installation file for that app?(is it even possible) because if there is no internet available i would transfer the file via Bluetooth from my mobile and install it in note2

Thanks for all those quick and kind reply

Download it from Play Store. You can use Root Explorer on your phone and copy installation file to sd card.
More info about SDS in S3 General thread.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using xda app-developers app

sos_sifou

Mar 30, 2009
Algiers
www.sifou.jimdo.com
Op updated with new tricks, thanks guys.
Ps: i got a new one after all, and it's an insane chip (didn't know) anyways, am running DMB2.

Best regards
Sifou
Using a Samsung N7100

Last edited:

nicholes

Mar 7, 2012
indore
Thanks for all the reply..

but one question is still intact no one answered...

"Is 0xf1 is the only chip which has sds ( sudden death syndrome )problem ?"
or
is every chip is good and not affacted by the sds except 0xf1 ?

please reply.

dr.ketan

Recognized Developer / Recognized Contributor
"Is 0xf1 is the only chip which has sds ( sudden death syndrome )problem ?"
or
is every chip is good and not affacted by the sds except 0xf1 ?

please reply.
0xf1 is known and I think most of having it on note2, very few have other revision, but that also sure till no case seems to have sds on other chip, but it's really difficult to confirm that other is free from bug.
When samsung never speaks about it we can just guess from data on xda.

bushako

Mar 16, 2007
Dubai
3. Play some songs on full volume and see if you hear anything abnormal with the speakers, that is another way to indicate water damage.
4. Also there's an application called stability test from Google play store, run it for 10-20minutes and check to see any errors.

sos_sifou

Mar 30, 2009
Algiers
www.sifou.jimdo.com

Very nice advices! Op updated ^_^

Best regards
Sifou
Using a Samsung N7100

bushako

Mar 16, 2007
Dubai
Of course there are some people who mentioned about manufacturing defects such as gaps between the bezel and the screen, bezel painted unevenly, loose volume buttons, home buttons not being flush with the rest of the display, light from the display leaking from in between the bezel and screen gap. Avoid one if you spot it with these traits.

nicholes

Mar 7, 2012
indore

great advises from all the great members THANKS!:eek:

i am highly thankful to all the great community members who help me a lot before buying note 2
also thanks for the OP for updating the thread time to time
THANKS again!

Reactions: sos_sifou

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello dear Xda members
    I am planing to get a Note 2 tomorrow and I need your help to make a list of the most important things to check when buying a USED Note 2.
    I have some ideas and I would like to have your suggestions :)
    1. First of all, I need to check the screen, the body, and the back cover for scratches or cracks, and of course the camera lens (thanks hagba).
    2. the stylus (most of time the presence of the stylus).
    3. the charging port, the Sim slot and the memory slot (for cracks or something left inside).
    4. then I turn it ON, and the first thing I need to do is to check whether it still has the old owner docs or not (most of time his pictures).
    5. what firmware its running.
    6. Rooted or not.
    7. then I need to install some apps like the dead pixels test (it shows basic colors on full screen to spot a specific dead pixel and it color, I do have a bad experience with dead pixels as my last 7.7 tab has one and I didn't spot it when I purchased it).
    8. *#0*# this code can be very useful to run tests of almost all components of the device, including vibrator, screen, drop test, light sensor... (thanks sanghaviraj)
    9. Put a sim in it and start testing network, bluetooth, GPS, and WIFI if possible (thanks Bl!GhT)
    10. Also I need to know how the stylus perform on the screen (whether its not responsive enough or not at all, or on a specific surface of the screen).
    11. then the overall experience of the system and switching between apps.
    12. battery life can't be measured during this test, so if the seller is honest, he can give me at least two days for testing the battery and other stuff that do not appear in the first time (but later, when you can't return it !)
    13. thanks dr.ketan
      One and important thing is ask for original bill of device which he got while he purchased. And confirm IMEI is same on
      dialling *#06#
      Back of device
      And on bill

14. thanks T511 and djembey

First of all, I'll install this https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.vinagre.android.emmc_check It's simple app to check the chip. Sane or insane
    15. thanks bushako

> The duration of this test is about 10 to 20 minutes.
    well, I am running out of ideas, if you have something to add, please go ahead :)
    I will update or modify the OP when needed.

regards
    Sifou
    just type " *#0*#" n u can test most hardware functions like lcd,proximity,and many more,
    hit thanks if u find helpfull

dialling *#06#
    Back of device
    And on bill