Any testers wanna try this out. Is a apk on device root for note 2

Search This thread

SMARTPHONEPC

May 29, 2010
Right. If you only rooted through the app you won't have problems. It's when you check those boxes will you have issues with the camera. At least that's my experience with it. What SMARTPHONEPC wants to do is check the boxes only when he's updating/installing apps. According to Chainfire, that's no good, because once you turn the exploit back on, then whatever bad app you've installed can then trigger the exploit and gain access.
I think that's why he said it's either one or the other. You can't run it once in a while just when you see fit.

As far as flash counter goes. You're right. If you're on stock rom & recovery, you won't trip the counter. I just ended up tripping the counter because I accidentally clicked the wrong button. It was a PEBKAC moment.

So bottomline is that ExynosAbuse apk is best-fastest-easiest-lowest risk way to root ATM with full unroot option for stock compatible devices but is not practical as an exploit patch if you need a fully functioning camera after updating to ( http://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-4962 ) Baseband version T889UVALK8 with multi-window multitasking feature (reports were that the camera was fully functional with ExynosAbuse apk before this update earlier in this thread)?

Anyone with SGH-T889 try http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2052675 to enable patch of exploit with full camera functionality on Baseband version T889UVALK8?

Again what really is the risk of this unpatched exploit if you stick to well known apps-developers & what about fully entrusting Chainfire & sotmax?

Should I add Monthly4G™ Handset Protection ( http://www.mhpdeductible.com ) for $7/mo to my $30/mo plan as today is my last day14 just in case (despite the $130 deductible) or are there complicating issues?

-Thnx:cool:

Last edited:

jlczl

Oct 22, 2005
So have we determined how many got the update and used this apk and do not have camera issues?

Sent from Note2 on TMo

I'm not sure what people are having issues with. I received my update this morning and I then followed the instructions on this post:

1. Install and run Exploit apk to get root:
  2. Install XposedInstaller-ICS_JB-rc2.apk, follow instructions on post.
  3. Install XposedMultiWindow.apk.
  4. Open the Xposed Installer app (installed in step 2). Click 'Modules', then check 'xMulti Window Mod', and reboot. (activates the run-time patch allowing all apps to be multiwindow compatible).

BTW, there are more cool Xposed modules (like call recording, per-app dpi, and no 100% battery notification) you can download here. Xposedframework eliminates the need for stock rom chefs imho.

In this thread:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2056532

Am now updated, rooted, stock rom, multi-windowed all apps, and cameras are working fine. Am I missing something here?

Last edited:

SMARTPHONEPC

May 29, 2010
Works great on my T889V, both cameras still working and root achieved.

I'm not sure what people are having issues with. I received my update this morning and I then followed the instructions on this post:

In this thread:

Am now updated, rooted, stock rom, multi-windowed all apps, and cameras are working fine. Am I missing something here?

You updated to ( http://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-4962 ) Baseband version T889UVALK8 with multi-window multitasking feature with ExynosAbuse apk with exploit patch checked-enabled & both cameras fully functional?

Last edited:

Queue515

Dec 28, 2010

In this thread:

I think you may have missed disabling the exploit (which has the side effect of green screen on the preview on the back camera). Did you check the two checkboxes in ExynosAbuse?

jlczl

Oct 22, 2005
I think you may have missed disabling the exploit (which has the side effect of green screen on the preview on the back camera). Did you check the two checkboxes in ExynosAbuse?

That's it. Just checked and I didn't check those two boxes. I'm not too knowledgeable on this subject. Is there a compelling reason for me to check them since I don't use the camera much?

GN2Rabbit

Dec 19, 2012
Yup, that was my experience.

Same here.

So if I just root the phone keeping a stock Rom but adding TWRP recovery it would trip the counter? But if I keep the stock recovery it wouldn't?

correct

So bottomline is that ExynosAbuse apk is best-fastest-easiest-lowest risk way to root ATM with full unroot option for stock compatible devices but is not practical as an exploit patch if you need a fully functioning camera after updating to ( http://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-4962 ) Baseband version T889UVALK8 with multi-window multitasking feature (reports were that the camera was fully functional with ExynosAbuse apk before this update earlier in this thread)?

Anyone with SGH-T889 try http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2052675 to enable patch of exploit with full camera functionality on Baseband version T889UVALK8?

Again what really is the risk of this unpatched exploit if you stick to well known apps-developers & what about fully entrusting Chainfire & sotmax?

Should I add Monthly4G™ Handset Protection ( http://www.mhpdeductible.com ) for $7/mo to my $30/mo plan as today is my last day14 just in case (despite the $130 deductible) or are there complicating issues?

It's currently the best way to root your device without tripping the flash counter or getting modified status. Personally I usually do updates via odin. But that's just me. So I don't worry about modified status. If I end up needing to send it in for warranty service I'll just flash a stock rom.

Sent from my SGH-T889

Reactions: SMARTPHONEPC

SMARTPHONEPC

May 29, 2010
That's it. Just checked and I didn't check those two boxes. I'm not too knowledgeable on this subject. Is there a compelling reason for me to check them since I don't use the camera much?

The ExynosAbuse apk is also about security (options to patch the exynos exploit) not just easy root via this exynos exploit but I did ask:

If want to patch the exynos exploit for security purposes (without changing kernels which is argued as most secure) then you could check the box but I'm surprised to hear someone is OK without a fully functioning camera preview screen..

nmw407

Mar 2, 2009

OK, Let me see if I can answer these questions to the best of my knowledge. The "you" I'm referring to is a general "you".

1. Yes, it's by far the easiest way to root. If you are sticking to stock recovery, the flash counter will stay at zero. Phone status will say modified.

If you want a fully functioning camera that you can actually see what you are going to take a picture of, then disabling the exploit (checking both or even one box on the app) will not work. You'll get green screen. If you don't care about using the camera, go for it.

2. That fix is for the GS3 on 4.1.2. Since the T-Mo Note 2 is still on 4.1.1 even after the 12/19 OTA update. I haven't tried it nor do I want to try it because I don't want to risk borking anything further.

3. I think that if you're vigilant about which developers you are installing apps from, and from which sources you are installing said apps from, I think the risks are minimal, IMO. I'm not paranoid enough to assume that everyone is out to get me, so I do not have the exploit disabled. I need my camera too much to worry about rogue developers. I just make it a point to check the permissions of apps I'm installing, checking the reviews beforehand, and only getting my apps from Google or Amazon. There are usually smarter people than I that have tested these apps.

4. I can't answer the monthly protection plan. I have no experience with that, sorry. I've never taken insurance on my phones.

Reactions: SMARTPHONEPC

SMARTPHONEPC

May 29, 2010
It's currently the best way to root your device without tripping the flash counter or getting modified status. Personally I usually do updates via odin. But that's just me. So I don't worry about modified status. If I end up needing to send it in for warranty service I'll just flash a stock rom.

Sent from my SGH-T889

I'm actually a noob-total virgin regarding rooting as I always depend on my device & would be really pissed at myself if I had any significant down-time but ExynosAbuse apk seems like it couldn't be faster-easier (how fast btw?) without even connecting to a pc but no one here ever had-has trust issues running non-official created code that's currently over your head (I know questioning this is blasphemy on XDA but I tend to question everything:)) hence why I asked: Again what really is the risk of this unpatched exploit if you stick to well known apps-developers & what about fully entrusting Chainfire & sotmax?

I love this handset so much I instantly wanted another to hack on while keeping one pristine but so far holding on to another ~$698 & just considering adding Monthly4G™ Handset Protection ( http://www.mhpdeductible.com ) for $7/mo to my $30/mo plan as today is my last day14 just in case (despite the $130 deductible) or are there complicating issues? http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2058038

---------- Post added at 08:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:43 PM ----------

OK, Let me see if I can answer these questions to the best of my knowledge. The "you" I'm referring to is a general "you".

1. Yes, it's by far the easiest way to root. If you are sticking to stock recovery, the flash counter will stay at zero. Phone status will say modified.

If you want a fully functioning camera that you can actually see what you are going to take a picture of, then disabling the exploit (checking both or even one box on the app) will not work. You'll get green screen. If you don't care about using the camera, go for it.

2. That fix is for the GS3 on 4.1.2. Since the T-Mo Note 2 is still on 4.1.1 even after the 12/19 OTA update. I haven't tried it nor do I want to try it because I don't want to risk borking anything further.

3. I think that if you're vigilant about which developers you are installing apps from, and from which sources you are installing said apps from, I think the risks are minimal, IMO. I'm not paranoid enough to assume that everyone is out to get me, so I do not have the exploit disabled. I need my camera too much to worry about rogue developers. I just make it a point to check the permissions of apps I'm installing, checking the reviews beforehand, and only getting my apps from Google or Amazon. There are usually smarter people than I that have tested these apps.

4. I can't answer the monthly protection plan. I have no experience with that, sorry. I've never taken insurance on my phones.

So Device status will change from Normal to modified but after full unroot option will go back to Normal & no warranty issues?

How long does rooting take with ExynosAbuse apk literally just a few minutes? Never any trust issues running non-official created code that's currently over your head as mentioned in last post, you fully entrust Chainfire & what about sotmax?

I do agree with you on trying to be vigilant vs paranoid & the risk with known developers is likely low to non-existent as companies should fear lawsuits but everyone here has no problems trusting a single developer such as the aforementioned for patches-code etc or is the vetting process here that good?..

Thanks nmw407, really appreciate your thread contributions:cool:

Last edited:

nmw407

Mar 2, 2009
Yes, when you root, the status goes to modified, but when you unroot, it goes back to normal. I tried this a couple of times and that's what I'm experiencing.

I trust Chainfire as much as I trust any developers here - I don't just jump in and do things on day one just because a developer creates something new. I always do plenty of research and I think that's the key point. I read the threads and saw what others have to say first. I've had this phone for over a month before pulling the trigger to root and even then I made sure I had a way to unroot or back track just in case.

Another thing to think about. Chainfire and many developers here have been around for a long time and have a good track record. Contrast that with some of the apps that are in the Play store. Can you really tell who are really behind some of those apps. I think a healthy dose of skepticism is a good thing and at the end of the day it really comes down to how much are you willing to risk? If the answer is little to none, then my answer is don't root, no matter what anyone says. If you've done your research and at the end day you believe the benefits outweigh the risks, go for it.

Last edited:

SMARTPHONEPC

May 29, 2010
You make sense to me & how to full unroot & any difference in system after unroot is the first question I always have..?

How long does rooting take with ExynosAbuse apk literally just a few minutes & no one has seen unexpected issues (besides the camera when disabling exploit patch with its checkbox) ?

You consider ExynosAbuse apk fully reversible & Chainfire as trustworthy as major developers? (I acknowledge sometimes I encounter excessive skepticism..:))

I honestly don't want to risk significant downtime or ~$698 but added adding Monthly4G™ Handset Protection ( http://www.mhpdeductible.com ) for $7/mo to my $30/mo plan today as my last day14 just in case (despite the $130 deductible) to hedge risks but I will proceed with caution after research to avoid hassles.. http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2058038

-Thnx nmw407:cool:

Yes, when you root, the status goes to modified, but when you unroot, it goes back to normal. I tried this a couple of times and that's what I'm experiencing.

I trust Chainfire as much as I trust any developers here - I don't just jump in and do things on day one just because a developer creates something new. I always do plenty of research and I think that's the key point. I read the threads and saw what others have to say first. I've had this phone for over a month before pulling the trigger to root and even then I made sure I had a way to unroot or back track just in case.

Another thing to think about. Chainfire and many developers here have been around for a long time and have a good track record. Contrast that with some of the apps that are in the Play store. Can you really tell who are really behind some of those apps. I think a healthy dose of skepticism is a good thing and at the end of the day it really comes down to how much are you willing to risk? If the answer is little to none, then my answer is don't root, no matter what anyone says. If you've done your research and at the end day you believe the benefits outweigh the risks, go for it.

GN2Rabbit

Dec 19, 2012
So Device status will change from Normal to modified but after full unroot option will go back to Normal & no warranty issues?

How long does rooting take with ExynosAbuse apk literally just a few minutes? Never any trust issues running non-official created code that's currently over your head as mentioned in last post, you fully entrust Chainfire & what about sotmax?[/QUOTE ]

My experience thus far has been that certain things are checked in the software itself to look for modifications to certain areas of the software. So far using the exploit has not caused the device to go from normal to modified. However applying the patches in the exploit will cause the device to read as modified. This also applies to other modifications that you can do such as the multi window control modification which allowed any device to use Multi window.

See above as well. Also there is always the option of flashing another firmware using ODIN. You can flash the stock rom as long as you have the stock bootloader.
So far in my experience using this exploit does not cause my camera to break as long as I do not apply the patches at all. it seems that applying the patches causes the device to become modified right from the beginning however if you are just rooting and only rooting without applying the patches you do not encounter the problem of your device a modified.

Before I had this phone I had an s7 tablet which was one of the first phablets to come out. With that phone we as in the developers and users of the phone had our choice of different roms from different countries that we could use because of the way the phone was designed. So I have a lot of experience flashing roms and using different modifications to a phone.

I think I'm going to make a thread on how to use the exploit tool to root your phone without tripping the modified status including which modifications to avoid which 1 to use all that fun stuff. I think it would be a useful thread have because I've seen a lot of people who want to have root without their device being modified status so they can receive over the air updates.

Sent from my SGH-T889

jjrumph

Sep 7, 2010
Fairview,TX
So here is a puzzle (for me at least).let's say you use exploit to root only. Then Samsung fixes the problem. If you unroot and apply fix I assume you will not be able to then use the app to reroot. If you stay rooted prior to applying a Samsung fix I assume you would not be able to use the fix.
If you were to apply the Samsung fix then you would have to use alternative rooting method. Correct?

Sent from Note2 on TMo

SMARTPHONEPC

May 29, 2010
So here is a puzzle (for me at least).let's say you use exploit to root only. Then Samsung fixes the problem. If you unroot and apply fix I assume you will not be able to then use the app to reroot. If you stay rooted prior to applying a Samsung fix I assume you would not be able to use the fix.
If you were to apply the Samsung fix then you would have to use alternative rooting method. Correct?

Sent from Note2 on TMo

Correct but by "If you stay rooted prior to applying a Samsung fix I assume you would not be able to use the fix" if you mean the hypothetical Samsung fix at the end of that sentence, it would likely still work (still recommend the apk's full unroot before such a Samsung fix) particularly if you didn't disable the exploit patch with its checkbox & you would lose root & could no longer rerun that apk because the exynos exploit would be fixed so would require alternative re-root method.

http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=35711771&postcount=5

Greek81

Feb 24, 2012
I just used this on my E4GT for sprint and now my phone is all screwed up. Sprint ID keeps failing and bottom hard keys keep going off on their own there. Menu key keeps popping up. Its like i have all the symptoms of a water damaged phone . Everything is loopy. I tried resetting my phone. odined el29 did a factory reset and formatted usb. And i downloaded all the OTA's to FI27. Still have all the symptoms . Can anyone help i dont know what to do ?

Sent from my SPH-D710 using xda app-developers app

nmw407

Mar 2, 2009
I just used this on my E4GT for sprint and now my phone is all screwed up. Sprint ID keeps failing and bottom hard keys keep going off on their own there. Menu key keeps popping up. Its like i have all the symptoms of a water damaged phone . Everything is loopy. I tried resetting my phone. odined el29 did a factory reset and formatted usb. And i downloaded all the OTA's to FI27. Still have all the symptoms . Can anyone help i dont know what to do ?

Sent from my SPH-D710 using xda app-developers app

Have you tried going to that phone's forum? You might get better help there than here.

jaleroca

Jul 17, 2010
Chicago-Berkely
I am not new to rooting but I am to Samsung so I have a Samsung Noob question? I am looking for the best way to root my GN II. This looks like an easy way to accomplish it but I am not understanding somethings after reading this entire thread.

1) After rooting with this method, can I load a custom Rom or different Kernel? If so, what are the possible problems?
2) If I wanted to un-root (for whatever reason) I have to go through SU? See this is part of the problem because unlike other root methods, there aren't any instructions on how to run this root.
3) What else do I need to do after installing this application?

I have to I must root my Note II. Thanks

Last edited:
Reactions: YourCancer01

xmv540

Nov 18, 2012
After installing and running this app you will be rooted. If you want to install custom roms or kernals you will need to install a open recovery which you can do through goo manager.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using xda app-developers app

anyadike

Mar 7, 2009
Chicago
Disappointed...

I am so disappointed. I was so ready to root my phone with the apk in this thread, but my McAfee Virus Checker won't let me. It says the file is infected (see attachment) and removes it. Does everyone get this warning when they download the file? I saw a discussion elsewhere that because the rooting mechanism is a trojan for phones, the file SHOULD be marked as a trojan. I'm not actually running it on my PC, so I suppose it's OK...

If my Virus Checker has picked-up the trojan/exploit does this mean that if I download malicious APKs, my virus checker will detect it?

(Artemis!F93E7C445C5E Trojan infection...)

Attachments

• ExynosAbuse.jpg
    ExynosAbuse.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 139
Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2050297 <---- is the op . Ill attach the apk . confirmed working on other note 2 variants but didnt see the sgh t889

THIS IS FOR A NO ODIN DOWNLOAD INSTALL AND RUN ROOT EXPLOITING A HOLE IN THE KERNEL

I replied on the Chainfire's thread. I confirmed it works for my stock T-mo, with both cameras working and root achieved.
    I don't know about OTA, but after I got root I went and unchecked both boxes, unrooted via supersu, status of the phone went back to normal. Then I ran the app again made sure both boxes were checked again, and rebooted once more. At this point, I have rooted, unrooted, and rerooted, and all things are still functioning normal, including cameras.

I just made sure when unrooting I unchecked both boxes before unrooting.
    Worked great! Even after the recent update

Sent from my SGH-T889 using xda premium