How do you toggle to 3G only?

Search This thread

Thank Me Later

Dec 11, 2011
I am actually asking for my friend, he has the at&t Galaxy Note 2. I suggested to him to see if he gets better battery life on 3G. He uses his phone a lot at work like 4 hours straight on 4G.

I assume the "phone info" app will work? That's what I use for my S3. I'm on a CDMA network so I have no clue for at&t's 3G. What should he toggle it to for 3G only? And does it make any difference in battery life? I'm not sure if he gets HSPA+ or LTE.

jethro650

Dec 17, 2010
musejehu.jpg

Dang I love this photo editor lol

TailsNeon556

Jun 22, 2009
NYC
you can manually set the preferred mobile network on stock at&t by going into the dialer hit *#*#4636#*#*

alexnoalex

Mar 18, 2006
In dialer enter *#2263#
That takes you to RF band selection menu. There choose [2] WCDMA Band Selection and inside it - WCDMA All. Profit!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using xda premium

Last edited:

Mad383Max

Dec 20, 2009
In dialer enter *#2263#
That takes you to RF band selection menu. There choose [2] WCDMA Band Selection and inside it - WCDMA All. Profit!

Nope.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1355588291964.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1355588291964.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 285

Mad383Max

Dec 20, 2009
you can manually set the preferred mobile network on stock at&t by going into the dialer hit *#*#4636#*#*

Which of the available selections allow that? The only one that doesn't show LTE is 'unknown'. Don't know if you take out the sim if the band options will change and you might be able to save to a non-LTE band. Worth a shot.

alexnoalex

Mar 18, 2006
Nope.

It must be restricted by sim card. I tried it with non att sim on Clean 2.1 rom (which, I think, is att based) and it works. Att sucks whichever way you look at it.
On the other hand, I don't think battery life is so much different. For me the main reason to do it is that I don't want the phone to pick up stronger 2g instead of weaker 3g.

MattMJB0188

Apr 30, 2011
I have tried several different APN's and none give me data. AT&T has eliminated the GSM toggle menu under mobile networks. It should have:

GSM/HSPA/LTE
GSM Only
HSPA Only
GSM/HSPA auto

How can we turn off LTE? and use only "4G" (HSPA+) My phone sits in my desk drawer all day at work and I'd rather not have it on LTE killing the battery. I'd also rather NOT turn off mobile data as then I can't receive e-mails or picture messages.

AT&T really is doing more harm than good by eliminating the GSM toggle menue under mobile networks.

SOLUTION:

1) With phone on, take off back cover and press your SIM card so it releases from the spring. It won't come all the way out as it's blocked by the battery. This seems fine - I didn't bother trying to force it out as I didn't want to break anything...
2) Once you see the message that the SIM card is removed, go to the dialer and dial *#2263#
3) You should see a menu with band selections. The current setting is "Automatic". If you switch to "GSM All", you will be EDGE (2G). If you switch to "WCDMA All", you will be on HSPA+ (3G, though AT&T and others call it 4G).
4) Press the SIM card back into place until it clicks. For whatever reason the phone will not recognize it until you reboot. Upon reboot you should see your new setting in effect.

res_au

Sep 17, 2007
Melbourne
Might be a long shot (works on N7105)
but does this work?

*#197328640#
Option [1] UMTS
[1]Debug screen
[8]Phone control
[7]Network control
[2]Band selection

rob00

Jan 4, 2013
AT&T Note 2 on T-mobile 3G/4G?

I have tried several different APN's and none give me data. AT&T has eliminated the GSM toggle menu under mobile networks. It should have:

GSM/HSPA/LTE
GSM Only
HSPA Only
GSM/HSPA auto

How can we turn off LTE? and use only "4G" (HSPA+) My phone sits in my desk drawer all day at work and I'd rather not have it on LTE killing the battery. I'd also rather NOT turn off mobile data as then I can't receive e-mails or picture messages.

AT&T really is doing more harm than good by eliminating the GSM toggle menue under mobile networks.

SOLUTION:

1) With phone on, take off back cover and press your SIM card so it releases from the spring. It won't come all the way out as it's blocked by the battery. This seems fine - I didn't bother trying to force it out as I didn't want to break anything...
2) Once you see the message that the SIM card is removed, go to the dialer and dial *#2263#
3) You should see a menu with band selections. The current setting is "Automatic". If you switch to "GSM All", you will be EDGE (2G). If you switch to "WCDMA All", you will be on HSPA+ (3G, though AT&T and others call it 4G).
4) Press the SIM card back into place until it clicks. For whatever reason the phone will not recognize it until you reboot. Upon reboot you should see your new setting in effect.

Does this pulling out of the SIM card work? has anyone done it?

I have a unlocked (via AT&T unlock code) AT&T Note 2 (SGH-I317) and a t-mobile SIM card with t-mobile unlimited 4G. I can't get 3G/4G most of the time. I am stuck on EDGE most of the time. Sometimes I get 3G/4G, but I loose it (maybe i am in the refarming area in Los Angeles, but if so, i should consistently get 3G/4G, right? ). will the pulling the sim card out thing force my unlocked AT&T Note 2 to stay on the HSPA+ band?

please help/

lewnetoons

Feb 26, 2007
florida
Yes pulling the sim works but I cannot get the sim to disconnect without pulling the battery so here is what I do and it works every time. (it worked with my i717 also)
Turn on airplane mode and power down the phone
Pull the battery and sim card and replace the battery only
Power on the phone and turn airplane mode off (your phone should say "no sim")
Touch the phone icon and on the keypad enter *#2263#
Select the band you want, then select the ALL selection (GSM ALL etc..) then back key out.
(if you want to check to make sure the setting took, just enter the *#2263# again and you should see and * next to the band)
Put the phone back into airplane mode and power down
Replace the sim card and battery, restart, turn off airplane mode and you will now be locked to your selected band

Keep in mind you will be on your selected band until you repeat the process and change to another band or select automatic, i.e. if you are locked to 4g and go to an area that is not 4g you will not get a signal.

Reactions: rob00

rob00

Jan 4, 2013
THANKS!!! it worked on my SGH-I317 AT&T Note 2. I am getting 83ms ping, 1.6-3.6mbps down and 0.2-0.8mbps up. I'll keep trying and see if it will stay on 3G/4G. but for now, thanks. the airplane mode workaround really worked. : - )

Last edited:

mailistman

Dec 7, 2012
fyi, you don't have to switch to airplane mode. just turn off phone, take out sim, turn phone back on and follow the step to get into menu & make band selection. after done, turn off phone, insert SIM & turn phone back on. you are set.

Reactions: rob00

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Yes pulling the sim works but I cannot get the sim to disconnect without pulling the battery so here is what I do and it works every time. (it worked with my i717 also)
    Turn on airplane mode and power down the phone
    Pull the battery and sim card and replace the battery only
    Power on the phone and turn airplane mode off (your phone should say "no sim")
    Touch the phone icon and on the keypad enter *#2263#
    Select the band you want, then select the ALL selection (GSM ALL etc..) then back key out.
    (if you want to check to make sure the setting took, just enter the *#2263# again and you should see and * next to the band)
    Put the phone back into airplane mode and power down
    Replace the sim card and battery, restart, turn off airplane mode and you will now be locked to your selected band

Keep in mind you will be on your selected band until you repeat the process and change to another band or select automatic, i.e. if you are locked to 4g and go to an area that is not 4g you will not get a signal.
    fyi, you don't have to switch to airplane mode. just turn off phone, take out sim, turn phone back on and follow the step to get into menu & make band selection. after done, turn off phone, insert SIM & turn phone back on. you are set.