HTC Butterfly (( Unlock & Recovery )) Any Info. ??

Search This thread

big_me

Nov 16, 2010
Glasgow
Depends on which phone you are talking about.
920e (China Version) you can use DNA's recovery.
920d (International Version/Singapore version?) unlock available but no working recovery.

oh my god.. I just came across this post. Been working on trying to flash a recovery for the last 4 hours and have failed every single time!!!!
I have the 920d from taiwan. man did i just waste hours of my life.

Any updates on whether there are recoveries or methods that work on the Butterfly? (international version)

katsuya82

Oct 13, 2008
Brisbane
oh my god.. I just came across this post. Been working on trying to flash a recovery for the last 4 hours and have failed every single time!!!!

Any updates on whether there are recoveries or methods that work on the Butterfly? (international version)

Sorry I didn't get up here last night.

jlevy73 you are right, after flashing the recoveries, you can't access the recovery traditionally, however, you can adb push apps and root your butterfly.

a guy call czh from Taiwan has managed to root the x920D with DNA recovery and he put up 2 small packages that similar to 1-click root tools. It's a bunch of batch files, you guys can check it out and make use of it for rooting your phone:

Package 1: superSU Version: http://sdrv.ms/RK6XEM SuperUser version: http://sdrv.ms/10mKD6z

First, make sure you've unlocked your bootloader throught HTCdev.com, enable usb debugging.
run 1.cmd, you will see your phone slowly getting bricked. Don't worry, it's because it's flashing DNA recovery. It can be fixed by flashing a suitable recovery for Butterfly when it comes out (ever?). Wait until the computer says complete.
Long press the power button until the phone screen lights up again.
You've completed Root & SuperCID.
This is only a temp root, so if you reboot your phone, the system will restore itself, and you might lose root. just run 1.cmd again.

Package 2: Link: http://sdrv.ms/Yoo5Nl

cwm.cmd enter cwm mode,to run anything below, you have to enter CWM mode first.
Backup.cmd Make sure you do it at least once to have full system backup, incase **** happens. Please wait til you see complete.
Backup_tar_data.cmd Backup data partition using tar format
Backup_tar_system.cmd backup system partition using tar format
Recovery_tar_data.cmd Restore backups from Backup_tar_data.cmd,enter your file name after the cmd eg.Recovery_tar_data.cmd x920d_data_14563661.tar
Recovery_tar_system.cmd Restoer backups from Backup_tar_system.cmd,enter your file name after the cmd eg.Recovery_tar_system.cmd x920d_system_o.tar
Recovery.cmd Factory restore
rm.cmd Remove builtin apps <= I don't know what it removes, please open up batch file to check
screen-capture_nosound.cmd remove screen capture sound.
320dpi.cmd change screen resolution to 320dpi, HTC sense and certain built-in HTC apps will FC. freezing HTC Sense by Titanium Backup will fix the problem.
wipe_data.cmd Wipe up data including built-in SD card.
~go.cmd <= make sure you run BACKUP.cmd before you do this. it installs things in file directory and some mods czh did.

big_me, I assume you can read Chinese, see the following thread from PalmisLife: http://f.pil.tw/thread-897317-1-1.html

Last edited:

valygar

Feb 24, 2009
jlevy73 you are right, after flashing the recoveries, you can't access the recovery traditionally, however, you can adb push apps and root your butterfly.

can you right a kind of guide, how did you do it?
I also have 920e and want to use google services and kill chinese built-in apps.

jlevy73

Nov 8, 2009
Los Angeles

a guy call czh from Taiwan has managed to root the x920D with DNA recovery and he put up 2 small packages that similar to 1-click root tools. It's a bunch of batch files, you guys can check it out and make use of it for rooting your phone:

Package 1: superSU Version: http://sdrv.ms/RK6XEM SuperUser version: http://sdrv.ms/10mKD6z

First, make sure you've unlocked your bootloader throught HTCdev.com, enable usb debugging.
run 1.cmd, you will see your phone slowly getting bricked. Don't worry, it's because it's flashing DNA recovery. It can be fixed by flashing a suitable recovery for Butterfly when it comes out (ever?). Wait until the computer says complete.
This is only a temp root, so if you reboot your phone, the system will restore itself, and you might lose root. just run 1.cmd again.

Backup.cmd Make sure you do it at least once to have full system backup, incase **** happens. Please wait til you see complete.
Recovery_tar_data.cmd Restore backups from Backup_tar_data.cmd,enter your file name after the cmd eg.Recovery_tar_data.cmd x920d_data_14563661.tar
Recovery_tar_system.cmd Restoer backups from Backup_tar_system.cmd,enter your file name after the cmd eg.Recovery_tar_system.cmd x920d_system_o.tar
rm.cmd Remove builtin apps <= I don't know what it removes, please open up batch file to check
320dpi.cmd change screen resolution to 320dpi, HTC sense and certain built-in HTC apps will FC. freezing HTC Sense by Titanium Backup will fix the problem.
~go.cmd <= make sure you run BACKUP.cmd before you do this. it installs things in file directory and some mods czh did.

big_me, I assume you can read Chinese, see the following thread from PalmisLife: http://f.pil.tw/thread-897317-1-1.html

Thanks a lot for this information, really appreciate it!

---------- Post added at 08:04 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:22 AM ----------

I also have 920e and want to use google services and kill chinese built-in apps.

I really wish I could write you a guide but I have no idea what I am doing thus far. Most of it has been by luck. If I can figure things out will be happy to guide you.

One good thing about the 920e is that all the chinese built-in apps can be disabled without root. Just go to setting - apps - all and disable whichever ones you want

red_trela

Feb 2, 2012

Sorry, currently sick and lacking proper concentration so have to keep this rather simple. Feel free to ask details where needed. What I did was:

1) unlock phone via htcdev
2) flash the Droid DNA recovery of ROM Manager by:
2a) booting into fastboot
2b) running "fastboot flash recovery recovery-clockwork-6.0.2.3-dlx.img" (replace the last part with the actual filename, if necessary)
3) push Superuser and ROM Manager by:
3a) booting into the recovery (the screen will show colorful lines or whatever, but technically it's actually a working recovery)
3b) "adb shell"
3c) "mount /system"
3d) "exit"
3f) "adb push Superuser.apk /system/app"
3g) "adb push su /system/bin"
3h) "adb push RomManager.apk /system/app"
3i) "adb shell"
3j) "chmod 6755 /system/bin/su"
3k) "reboot"
4) Reboot into normal mode
5) Check Superuser and ROM Manager are available from the menu and if so check if you can open them. (in one of several tries to root the phone, ROM Manager force closed on me - pushing it again helped solve that for unknown reasons)
6) Configure ROM Manager to (correctly) think a recovery is installed
6a) Click on Flash ClockworkMod Recovery
6b) Choose Device Not Listed Above, confirm with Yes and choose 3.x.+
7) Install Google Apps (optionally) by:
7a) Still in ROM Manager, go to Download ROM and choose Google Apps. For Android 4.1.x 20120111 JB is the recommended version, newer one might not work
7b) After downloading, have ROM Manager install gapps (forgot what the button says, but you'll see)

If step 7b fails to execute (i.e. automatically reboot into recovery), the phone is not properly rooted (for unknown reasons). If it's successful, you have the phone rooted and gapps installed. Congratulations!

If you don't want to install Google Apps, you can instead try to boot into recovery or try to backup the current ROM from within ROM Manager. If it works, so does root.

Note: Things between quotes are commands to be executed on a computer with working adb and fastboot binaries (either available in the current working directory or through your systems PATH). The two apk files and the su binary are expected to be available in the current working directory.

The instructions should work independent of the computer's OS, but I performed them on a Windows 7 system. Other recoveries than ROM Manager should probably work likewise, but I only tried this.

Some handy links:
http://htcdev.com/bootloader/ (to unlock the phone - just follow the instructions on the website)
http://www.clockworkmod.com/rommanager (for both the recovery and the apk)
http://androidsu.com/superuser/ (get Superuser-3.1.3-arm-signed.zip to extract the Superuser.apk and the su binary)

Last edited:
Reactions: jlevy73 and valygar

valygar

Feb 24, 2009
Thanks for detailed guide! everything works now
some remarks
3c) "cat /etc/fstab"
3d) "mount /dev/<whatever (see fstab)> /system"
here i saw 4 lines
Code:
~ # cat /etc/fstab 
/dev/block/mmcblk0p33 /cache ext4 rw
/dev/block/mmcblk0p34 /data ext4 rw
/dev/block/mmcblk0p32 /system ext4 rw
/dev/null /sdcard datamedia rw
mounted the third.

I tried to make a backup, phone rebooted in recovery, saw a color stripes, but a backup was made.
Thanks again for the guide.

---------- Post added at 09:48 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:39 AM ----------

Thanks a lot for this information, really appreciate it!

---------- Post added at 08:04 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:22 AM ----------

I really wish I could write you a guide but I have no idea what I am doing thus far. Most of it has been by luck. If I can figure things out will be happy to guide you.

One good thing about the 920e is that all the chinese built-in apps can be disabled without root. Just go to setting - apps - all and disable whichever ones you want

some apps remain started, even when I disable it. For example HTC Sense Sina Weibo, it's disabled and stopped, but some time after stopping, I can stop it again

red_trela

Feb 2, 2012
some remarks

here i saw 4 lines
Code:
~ # cat /etc/fstab 
mounted the third.

Welcome!

Ah, actually I was being stupid and made that more complicated than necessary. There's no need to look at the fstab, just a simple "mount /system" will be enough. The system will look what to mount on /system in the fstab itself, automatically. Fixed that in my instructions above.

jlevy73

Nov 8, 2009
Los Angeles
Welcome!

Ah, actually I was being stupid and made that more complicated than necessary. There's no need to look at the fstab, just a simple "mount /system" will be enough. The system will look what to mount on /system in the fstab itself, automatically. Fixed that in my instructions above.

Nice writeup, that did the trick. One of the files I had must have been corrupted, yours worked perfectly. Thanks

---------- Post added at 12:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:42 PM ----------

some remarks

here i saw 4 lines
Code:
~ # cat /etc/fstab 
mounted the third.

I tried to make a backup, phone rebooted in recovery, saw a color stripes, but a backup was made.
Thanks again for the guide.

---------- Post added at 09:48 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:39 AM ----------

some apps remain started, even when I disable it. For example HTC Sense Sina Weibo, it's disabled and stopped, but some time after stopping, I can stop it again

Now that you have root, you can use Titanium Backup and freeze any apps you don't want. That will keep them from restarting.

red_trela

Feb 2, 2012
Now that you have root, you can use Titanium Backup and freeze any apps you don't want. That will keep them from restarting.

Or you can delete them with any root explorer (or the adb shell, again). I think they hide in /data/app (need to mount /data if in recovery). Or just move them away in case you think you could ever miss them ;)

Dees_Troy

Senior Recognized Developer
Mar 31, 2008
KC MO
www.teamw.in
Can someone with root run this command for me:

cat /proc/emmc

Paste the output (probably easier to do this via adb shell for an easier copy/paste). Also run this command:

dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p20 of=/sdcard/butterflyp20.img

Upload the /sdcard/butterflyp20.img file and give me the link. I believe that this is the location of the stock recovery and I need a copy of that to begin trying to get a working recovery for this device. Thanks.

katsuya82

Oct 13, 2008
Brisbane

cat /proc/emmc

Paste the output (probably easier to do this via adb shell for an easier copy/paste). Also run this command:

Upload the /sdcard/butterflyp20.img file and give me the link. I believe that this is the location of the stock recovery and I need a copy of that to begin trying to get a working recovery for this device. Thanks.

Hi Dees_Troy, unfortunately, at the moment there is no other method of rooting other than flashing DNA recovery on X920d, so whatever people dump out by dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p20, you'll get DNA recovery. However, I do see some lights when I found Japanese hackers manage to root HTC J Butterfly without flashing DNA recovery. Hopefully someone will figure out the exploit and plot it on to X920d.

BTW, Good Job on the HTC J Butterfly recovery!

Dees_Troy

Senior Recognized Developer
Mar 31, 2008
KC MO
www.teamw.in
Hi Dees_Troy, unfortunately, at the moment there is no other method of rooting other than flashing DNA recovery on X920d, so whatever people dump out by dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p20, you'll get DNA recovery. However, I do see some lights when I found Japanese hackers manage to root HTC J Butterfly without flashing DNA recovery. Hopefully someone will figure out the exploit and plot it on to X920d.

BTW, Good Job on the HTC J Butterfly recovery!

This is only true if the recovery was actually flashed. You can one-time boot recovery with fastboot boot which you could then use to root or run adb commands to dump the stock recovery. I can also get the stock recovery if someone can find an RUU.

katsuya82

Oct 13, 2008
Brisbane
This is only true if the recovery was actually flashed. You can one-time boot recovery with fastboot boot which you could then use to root or run adb commands to dump the stock recovery. I can also get the stock recovery if someone can find an RUU.

I'm sure many others has already tried and failed.
I just had a go and phone boots into android straight away.

C:\Android>fastboot boot cwm.img
downloading 'boot.img'...
OKAY [ 1.047s]
booting...
OKAY [ 0.000s]
finished. total time: 1.047s
After booting in Android, I've tried to push su etc into system and no luck.

If it's that easy, then why Japanese go through so much effort to gain root using their own exploit.
And ofcourse there is no RUU for X920d, even there is one, it is likely to be encrypted.

Last edited:

big_me

Nov 16, 2010
Glasgow
I'm sure many others has already tried and failed.
I just had a go and phone boots into android straight away.

After booting in Android, I've tried to push su etc into system and no luck.

I've tried for the last 5 hours and I'm stuck on the final few steps (configuring CWM to believe there is a recovery installed...) using red_trela's post (http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=36387611&postcount=26) Any help with this? Or is there someways I can bypass that step using adb
Katsuya, what do you mean you had no luck pushing su into the system?

katsuya82

Oct 13, 2008
Brisbane
I've tried for the last 5 hours and I'm stuck on the final few steps (configuring CWM to believe there is a recovery installed...) using red_trela's post (http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=36387611&postcount=26) Any help with this? Or is there someways I can bypass that step using adb
Katsuya, what do you mean you had no luck pushing su into the system?

You need to tell us which step you up to so we can help you.
I guess you are up to step 6. open up Rom Manager, click on Flash CWM Recovery, go to the bottom of the list, click device not listed above, hit yes, then hit clickwork mod 3.x+.

Then you should follow step 7 to download gapps through Rom Manager.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I can't push su to the system by only booting from recovery image ( it doesn't even boot :p)

Last edited:

jlevy73

Nov 8, 2009
Los Angeles

On the x920e I had to fastboot flash the DNA recovery in order to push su to get root. So I'm afraid the only thing my output will show is the DNA recovery which won't do you much good.

I've spent hours trying to find a RUU for this device but so far no go. That being said, maybe Football can obtain one. I will send him a PM and see if I get anything. Chances are though that even if he does have it, it will probably by be encrypted.

big_me

Nov 16, 2010
Glasgow
You need to tell us which step you up to so we can help you.
I guess you are up to step 6. So go to play store to download ROM Manager, open it up, click up Flash CWM Recovery, go to the bottom of the list, click device not listed above, hit yes, then hit clickwork mod 3.x+.

Then you should follow step 7 to download gapps through Rom Manager.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I can't push su to the system by only booting from recovery image ( it doesn't even boot :p)

Wait... I can't seem to be able to find the Device not listed above option on the bottom of the 'confirm phone model' list. And I also only have very few phones to choose from? None from htc, some from LGE and Huawei, and it only seems to go up to the Samsung Galaxy S2... So I've tried to remove my current version of ROM manager (5.0 something - that's probably why.)
Now im' trying to remove that Rom manager but im' failing to do so. Any help with what i can do wit that? I can't update it on Market because it says that i have an improperly signed apk or something.

jlevy73

Nov 8, 2009
Los Angeles
Wait... I can't seem to be able to find the Device not listed above option on the bottom of the 'confirm phone model' list. And I also only have very few phones to choose from? None from htc, some from LGE and Huawei, and it only seems to go up to the Samsung Galaxy S2... So I've tried to remove my current version of ROM manager (5.0 something - that's probably why.)
Now im' trying to remove that Rom manager but im' failing to do so. Any help with what i can do wit that? I can't update it on Market because it says that i have an improperly signed apk or something.

It's the very last option on the list (scroll all the way down to the bottom) and you will see "Device not listed"

katsuya82

Oct 13, 2008
Brisbane

That's because your Rom Manager was pushed into /system/app rather than download from Market. Where did you obtain RomManager.apk?
here is the right link: http://download.clockworkmod.com/recoveries/RomManager.apk
start over from step 3..

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    X920d:
    http://goo.im/devs/OpenRecovery/dlxub1/openrecovery-twrp-2.3.3.1-dlxub1.img

X920e:
    http://goo.im/devs/OpenRecovery/dlxu/openrecovery-twrp-2.3.3.1-dlxu.img

I think these builds should allow you to use the removable sdcard for storage as well as the internal storage. They still don't have a full sized TWRP theme as I don't have a 1080x1920 device to do a proper theme for them, but there are full screen themes available in the Droid DNA threads here on XDA that you can use if you prefer. The X920e version will also have the proper device ID for zip asserts if/when ROM development for these devices takes off. Enjoy.

If you want to root, take the HTCDev.com unlock, then flash the appropriate recovery image above using:
    fastboot flash recovery filename.img
    Download the SuperUser zip or SuperSu zip from their websites and install that using TWRP and you will have root.

Sorry, currently sick and lacking proper concentration so have to keep this rather simple. Feel free to ask details where needed. What I did was:

1) unlock phone via htcdev
    2) flash the Droid DNA recovery of ROM Manager by:
    2a) booting into fastboot
    2b) running "fastboot flash recovery recovery-clockwork-6.0.2.3-dlx.img" (replace the last part with the actual filename, if necessary)
    3) push Superuser and ROM Manager by:
    3a) booting into the recovery (the screen will show colorful lines or whatever, but technically it's actually a working recovery)
    3b) "adb shell"
    3c) "mount /system"
    3d) "exit"
    3f) "adb push Superuser.apk /system/app"
    3g) "adb push su /system/bin"
    3h) "adb push RomManager.apk /system/app"
    3i) "adb shell"
    3j) "chmod 6755 /system/bin/su"
    3k) "reboot"
    4) Reboot into normal mode
    5) Check Superuser and ROM Manager are available from the menu and if so check if you can open them. (in one of several tries to root the phone, ROM Manager force closed on me - pushing it again helped solve that for unknown reasons)
    6) Configure ROM Manager to (correctly) think a recovery is installed
    6a) Click on Flash ClockworkMod Recovery
    6b) Choose Device Not Listed Above, confirm with Yes and choose 3.x.+
    7) Install Google Apps (optionally) by:
    7a) Still in ROM Manager, go to Download ROM and choose Google Apps. For Android 4.1.x 20120111 JB is the recommended version, newer one might not work
    7b) After downloading, have ROM Manager install gapps (forgot what the button says, but you'll see)

If step 7b fails to execute (i.e. automatically reboot into recovery), the phone is not properly rooted (for unknown reasons). If it's successful, you have the phone rooted and gapps installed. Congratulations!

If you don't want to install Google Apps, you can instead try to boot into recovery or try to backup the current ROM from within ROM Manager. If it works, so does root.

Note: Things between quotes are commands to be executed on a computer with working adb and fastboot binaries (either available in the current working directory or through your systems PATH). The two apk files and the su binary are expected to be available in the current working directory.

The instructions should work independent of the computer's OS, but I performed them on a Windows 7 system. Other recoveries than ROM Manager should probably work likewise, but I only tried this.

Some handy links:
    http://htcdev.com/bootloader/ (to unlock the phone - just follow the instructions on the website)
    http://www.clockworkmod.com/rommanager (for both the recovery and the apk)
    http://androidsu.com/superuser/ (get Superuser-3.1.3-arm-signed.zip to extract the Superuser.apk and the su binary)

cat /proc/emmc