Random shut downs

Search This thread

stebu79

May 30, 2007
My phone behaves very weird, initially I thought it's an issue of kernel or Rom, but after trying different ones I can't believe anymore. The randomly shut downs happens several times a day, it does not happen though when charging (never). By now I'm on jb leak and still have the issue. When it shuts down, the sreen dims a bit and then it's gone, the weird thing is that often I have to pull the battery or charge the phone before reboot is possible, the battery shows different values after rebooting, sometimes close to what was before (especially when rebooting on charger), and sometimes way off the values before. I came initially from slimrom with siyah or dorimanx kernel, I really hoped jb leak would help (also tried different kernels), but it didn't. It also seems to me that it happens more often with the sd card (32gb) and without the phone seems more stable, but still it happens from time to time. Once the screen dim (only one or two steps) and shut down even happend when in CWM recovery, is it maybe hardware related? It's very hard to find the source of the problem, anybody else experience similar issues? By the way the shutdown I have is not a proper shut down, the phone doesn't show the message "is shutting down".
Calibrating the battery didn't help either...I'm very happy for any hint, as I really don't know what to do anymore. It's it possible to log somehow what happens before lone of these shut downs?

Rackers

Jul 2, 2011
My phone does this all the time .. no reason for it either that I can see. Have also tried a combination of stock and custom roms but it still happens.

I was hoping somebody could tell me if there is an app I could use that monitors what the phone is doing exactly before it shuts itself off ..

karfeef

Feb 21, 2011
Liverpool
My issue is exactly the same as op's, my last resort is a new battery but can't do that for a few days :-\

Sent from my GT-I9100

gorgorven

Feb 28, 2012
Bombay
Same Problem.

I have the exact same problem. I am arranging for a new battery to test this out. I have also noticed that a battery pull sometimes let me boot. But the phone almost always does dead towards the end of boot animation.
Please let me know if you guys worked out the solution.

karfeef

Feb 21, 2011
Liverpool
I've not yet bought a new battery, cash flow problem.. But I have noticed that my current one has a slight bulge, enough to be able to spin the battery round on a flat surface. Be about a week before I can get a new one :(

Sent from my GT-I9100

gorgorven

Feb 28, 2012
Bombay
Battery Bulge

SO even i couldn't get my hands on a spare battery to test But after reading your posts, i checked mine and realised that it is also slightly bulged(based on the fact that it rotates on a flat surface). I did some research and found out the culprit. Its overcharging!! and also moisture!! as in my case.... here is why-

1. The cathode liberates lithium and which forms a metal oxide composed of another metal (commonly Cobalt - forming lithium cobalt oxide). When overcharging, lithium builds up faster than it can react and deposits on the anode. Cobalt oxide is thus formed and has a chemical structure radically different from the original lithium cobalt oxide. This weakens the structure and causes battery bloat.

2. Moisture reacts with the electrolyte salts (Lithium hexafluorophosphate) to form hydrochloric acid. It reacts with the cathode and anode sheets within the battery and causes gas build-up. This can cause the batteries to bloat

Also heat leads to gaseous expansion causing it to bloat.

I will be trying out one of my friends battery to check if the problem is resolved. I will keep you posted. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: karfeef

bahumi

Sep 29, 2011
hey friends,

i had the exact same problem and getting a new battery really helped me out.
i bought the 2000mah samsung battery, everything is fine now, no random shutdowns at all now.

i hope thisnow helps you aswell.

ChavitoArg

Aug 13, 2011
Exactly the same problem here, below 15% its shutdown with no warning, this is also an overheat problem. My S2 is almost new, just 2 monts, what should i do? Claim a new battery at warranty?

Enviado desde mi GT-I9100 usando Tapatalk 2

gastonw

Dec 19, 2012
Exactly the same problem here, below 15% its shutdown with no warning, this is also an overheat problem. My S2 is almost new, just 2 monts, what should i do? Claim a new battery at warranty?

Chavito, you're up for a S2 swap.

Someone at Tierra del Fuego screwed up :p

Reactions: ChavitoArg

ChavitoArg

Aug 13, 2011
Hahahaha what is a swap?

Made at tierra del fuego :BBBBB assembly house.

gorgorven

Feb 28, 2012
Bombay
Problem solved

So i got my friend to swap batteries. He had the frequent failures and mine was working fine. So finally got a new battery and everything is working fine since the last 4 hrs. Get a new battery!!

stebu79

May 30, 2007
Yes, mine is fine now too - with new battery ;)

Sent from my GT-I9100 using xda app-developers app

karfeef

Feb 21, 2011
Liverpool
Got my pair of 1900mah anker batteries from Amazon today, and so far everything is working great, hurrah!

Sent from my GT-I9100

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Battery Bulge

SO even i couldn't get my hands on a spare battery to test But after reading your posts, i checked mine and realised that it is also slightly bulged(based on the fact that it rotates on a flat surface). I did some research and found out the culprit. Its overcharging!! and also moisture!! as in my case.... here is why-

1. The cathode liberates lithium and which forms a metal oxide composed of another metal (commonly Cobalt - forming lithium cobalt oxide). When overcharging, lithium builds up faster than it can react and deposits on the anode. Cobalt oxide is thus formed and has a chemical structure radically different from the original lithium cobalt oxide. This weakens the structure and causes battery bloat.

2. Moisture reacts with the electrolyte salts (Lithium hexafluorophosphate) to form hydrochloric acid. It reacts with the cathode and anode sheets within the battery and causes gas build-up. This can cause the batteries to bloat

Also heat leads to gaseous expansion causing it to bloat.

I will be trying out one of my friends battery to check if the problem is resolved. I will keep you posted. :)

Chavito, you're up for a S2 swap.

Someone at Tierra del Fuego screwed up :p
    Hahahaha what is a swap?

Made at tierra del fuego :BBBBB assembly house.

Swap = cambiazo.