Desktop apps ported to Windows RT

Search This thread

windowsrtc

Nov 21, 2012
Can you translate the error into English for me?

Also, fun fact, DosBox and SDL run from within an appcontainer, this could be ran from a non-jailbroken WinRT tablet.

Edit: Looking at what I can read, it seems to be a localization issue. If you could translate it for me I could see about fixing it.

Also, try the one I uploaded to my previous post, if you haven't yet (The download counter for it is still at '0').

can't find entry point *******at *******dosbox.exe
"The download counter for it is still at '0'"
I have already downloaded the new one.maybe its a XDA bug

Last edited:

zero-gravity

Jul 19, 2007
/home/fulda
DOSbox is running great on my vivotab with german localization!
I Play arround with some oldschool games i have from my collection. "3D" runs slow. ;) tested with Doom II (runs like a flashback to my 386 with 33 MHZ but much better than the Flash-Version from the Net) Corridor7 (Wolfenstein Engine) runs slow like Doom. - 22% CPU usage

But Sidescrollers like Duke Nukem 1+2 and the whole Commander Keen Collection is pretty fine to Play. - ~10% CPU usage

it is very funny to Play around with it. Thank you netham! :)

rheza02

May 20, 2006
Can someone guide me, how do you add support for arm in build settings ?, there is only x32 and x64 only.
thanks

rheza02

May 20, 2006
That didn't not changing anything, i still can't run my application on the surface. :(. any suggestion ?

lucas.scott

Mar 10, 2009
Nashville, TN
Is anyone looking into getting Gimp compiled for ARM?

Thats would make a lot of people happy. Looking into it myself.

Also looking for a good open source .NZB client. Anyone have any ideas?

rheza02

May 20, 2006
New Installer for Windows RT i have been working last three hours. hopefully can be released tomorrow.

RaGVh.png

Mantenner

Feb 15, 2012
Sydney
www.mantenner.webs.com
@Mantenner: discussion of pirating software, or links to pirate downloads, are forbidden here on XDA-Devs. We're a community of builders, not of takers.

That said, porting DOOM might be interesting even though I don't have the assets to run it; I'm sure somebody does and I believe there may exist some freely available assets for the game. The original was of course 16-bit, which won't run on RT (no NTVDM) but if it runs on Linux (also 32-bit, when it's not 64-bit) it's probably possible to port... unlikely to be easy, though.

I believe Terraria may already be open source, although I might have it confused with another game. In any case, if somebody wants to compile some open-source games, that would be awesome. Getting the SDL built on RT would enable a bunch of games... it would be a ton of fun to play something like Wesnoth on the Surface. Please choose your links somewhat more carefully, though. Not everything on the Internet is free for the taking (in fact, the majority of it isn't) and quite aside from consequences to yourself, you could cause problems for XDA-Developers and the rest of the community if the site becomes associated with piracy.

Yeh i wasnt sure whether or not a license would be needed, i thought i would just put it up as an idea, is there any tutorials for compiling apps by any chance? I wouldnt mind getting into it myself :p

nosit1

May 19, 2010
Arizona
Yeh i wasnt sure whether or not a license would be needed, i thought i would just put it up as an idea, is there any tutorials for compiling apps by any chance? I wouldnt mind getting into it myself :p

From two pages ago:

@Inadorel: There's been some discussion of the cross-compiling around the last couple weeks, if you read this forum. The first thing to do is to change a VS configuration file that tries to prevent you from building desktop apps from RT. It's like a two-line edit, and posted on the .NET (here and at StackOverflow). Then, acquire some source code that's meant to be built in Visual Studio, Open the .SLN file in VS2012 (it'll ask you to upgrade it if the file was built by an older version, this should be fine), go to the Configuration Manager (the thing where you usually choose "Debug" vs. "Release"), select Release (not Debug; it might be possible to get it working on ARM but seems to be more difficult), and under Active Solution Platform, choose <New...> and select ARM from the drop-down (if ARM is not present, it's probably a managed project, in which case you should use "Any CPU" and set the framework to .NET 4.5). Sorry for the huge run-on sentence; believe me,it only takes a few seconds. Then, build as normal. If there isn't anything crazy like inline assembly or other CPU-specific stuff, it should build and give you a .EXE file you can copy onto a hacked Windows RT device to run.

You will find that VS2012 includes only a tiny portion of all the .LIB files that are needed for real programs. There are multiple people who have posted tools for "cutting" .LIBs from .DLLs (which you can extract from an RT device yourself) or who have uploaded a bunch of pre-cut LIBs. You may also need to manually specify some LIBs that are normally included automatically... I've found myself doing this with things like kernel32.lib.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

mamaich

Retired Recognized Developer
Apr 29, 2004
mamaich-eng.blogspot.ru
is there any tutorials for compiling apps by any chance? I wouldnt mind getting into it myself :p

The process is the same as compilation for x86. You'll need only to "hack" visual studio 2012 as was explained on the stackoverflow link posted a bit earlier, and add missing import libraries made by this tool: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2093899
You'll need a full (not starter) VS2012 package to make C++ programs.

For the remote debugging to work - you'll need to install a visual studio ARM debugger package on the device. Start reading from here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/vstudio/hh781607.aspx - the page contains a link to arm redistributable. Screenshots are for metro apps, debuggind desktop apps is similar.

For the compiled desktop apps to be debugged on RT with the full source code information - you'll need to edit project settings, change the PDB file format from "PDB .. for edit and continue" to "Program Database /Zi" in "C/C++" / "debug information format". You'll need to play with the project deployment, I had some problems, don't remember exactly which. I did it simplier - shared a "debug" folder from a development PC to RT over a network, mapped it as a Z: drive to RT device, and in debugger setting specified a Z:\Debug\my_prog.exe as a program to launch on a remote side.

Kimori16

Jan 12, 2013
Anyone have any problems running CrystalBoy? Every time I try to run it, the dialog box says Object reference not set to an instance of an object. What exactly can be done to fix this?

dodo_dodan

Feb 5, 2010
I actually e-mailed the developer about getting the full source a couple days ago, he gave me a rather blunt 'No source' response.

I'll see if I can find it on google code, though, I wanted PDN too

Hi,
I managed to compile an old copy of the source code. it's unstable at the moment. I noticed that windows RT can run .net 4.5 apps but not 3.5 apps. did any one try to copy .net 3.5 assemblies to it ?

thanks

Attachments

• paintnet.jpg
    paintnet.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 586
Last edited:
Reactions: shog7n

Mantenner

Feb 15, 2012
Sydney
www.mantenner.webs.com
windows xp through bochs

So i was looking at the specs you needed to run windows xp, and our surface fits! So i was just wondering, is it possible to load windows xp through bochs, and if so, mind helping me do it?

---------- Post added at 07:15 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:14 AM ----------

The process is the same as compilation for x86. You'll need only to "hack" visual studio 2012 as was explained on the stackoverflow link posted a bit earlier, and add missing import libraries made by this tool: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2093899
You'll need a full (not starter) VS2012 package to make C++ programs.

For the remote debugging to work - you'll need to install a visual studio ARM debugger package on the device. Start reading from here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/vstudio/hh781607.aspx - the page contains a link to arm redistributable. Screenshots are for metro apps, debuggind desktop apps is similar.

For the compiled desktop apps to be debugged on RT with the full source code information - you'll need to edit project settings, change the PDB file format from "PDB .. for edit and continue" to "Program Database /Zi" in "C/C++" / "debug information format". You'll need to play with the project deployment, I had some problems, don't remember exactly which. I did it simplier - shared a "debug" folder from a development PC to RT over a network, mapped it as a Z: drive to RT device, and in debugger setting specified a Z:\Debug\my_prog.exe as a program to launch on a remote side.

Thankyou! Although it does seem very confusing :eek: it will take me a while to get into it :\

lilstevie

Senior Recognized Developer
Apr 17, 2009
So i was looking at the specs you needed to run windows xp, and our surface fits! So i was just wondering, is it possible to load windows xp through bochs, and if so, mind helping me do it?

how do you figure this? The surface isn't the same architecture as computers that meet the MSRs for XP, which means a lot of overhead for emulation

netham45

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jun 24, 2009
Denver
Hi,
I managed to compile an old copy of the source code. it's unstable at the moment. I noticed that windows RT can run .net 4.5 apps but not 3.5 apps. did any one try to copy .net 3.5 assemblies to it ?

thanks

3.5 will not run on the Surface, we don't have the binaries for it.

2ojJg.jpg

Just the start menu for now, don't really plan on porting anything else from it. I just did it to see if it'd work, mostly. I had to restart explorer after jailbreaking before I could get it to launch.

Attachments

• ClassicStartMenu.zip
    1.1 MB · Views: 38,522
Last edited:
Reactions: sbdags

GoodDayToDie

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 20, 2011
Seattle
OK, serious question time: what does it take to get somebody posting rights to these forums? Because minhtuan99bk has totally earned it.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/8557161/rt/Python27armrt.7z

It's not complete - the foreign function interface (same thing I get stuck on) is missing, so there's a lot of stuff that won't work (basically, anything that isn't pure Python, i.e. anything that needs to call into compiled APIs). The MSI file module is also missing (big loss, I'm sure...) but it runs, and handles at least trivial scripts.

For those asking about emulation: a reasonable expectation for the overhead of emulating x86 is somewhere in the range of a factor of 10-20 slowdown. Thus, the Surface RT's 1.3GHz quad-core CPU can be thought of as at least a 65MHz quad-core x86, and perhaps as much as a 130MHz quad-core. For things which aren't parallelized well (emulators in general, for example) you can really only consider one of those cores.

130MHz will technically run XP... but it'll run like complete crap. It's on the low end for Windows 98. Remember, that's the liberal estimate. The conservative one of "around 65 MHz") miiight just barely run StarCraft on Win95 (the stated requirement was 70MHz).

Reactions: nazoraios

Top Liked Posts