[ROM][LOTK][4.2.2] Unoffical Root-Box Nightly 8/5/13

Search This thread

polar2792

Oct 23, 2011
Gastonia, NC
Re: [ROM] Unoffical Root-Box Nightly (JB 4.2.2)

The n7 camera you linked to a while back, whats it's name, camera2 or Google camera? I flashed it and now I have the stock and the one you linked to, as well as 2 galleries.

Sent from my EVO using xda app-developers app

fredgar75

Feb 18, 2012
Jacksonville

The n7 camera you linked to a while back, whats it's name, camera2 or Google camera? I flashed it and now I have the stock and the one you linked to, as well as 2 galleries.

I'm not sure what they are called but its the second camera and galley in your app drawer.

Sent from my EVO using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

Reactions: polar2792

mikshepard

Apr 7, 2010
Minneapolis

Gallery2.apk is the stock one and GalleryGoogle.apk is the Nexus Photosphere one. Both are located in /system/app if you want to freeze one.

The Photosphere one will be called com.andoid.gallery3d in your Gallery or Camera options (note that "google" is not in the Photosphere name"), when it asks for you to choose one. Your photospheres will ONLY be available in the Gallery with this name. I'll add the Photosphere flashable zip to the OP too. I just can't remember where I got it, so I can't give proper credits, hopefully someone will identify the zip name and claim it or point me in the right direction.

Hope this helps,
-Mike

Reactions: polar2792 and Sp0gg

mikshepard

Apr 7, 2010
Minneapolis
For anyone interested, Bajee11 is the creator of our much loved ROM, Root-Box. This was posted on his Google+ account today:

Some good and bad news, depending on how you see things. Hybrid settings will remain in the rom, but it will be worked on extensively before the next release. That being said, I'm taking a break from rootbox for an undetermined amount of time. I will continue maintaining RootBox sources, so device maintainers could still have up-to-date repositories to build from for their respective devices. I'm not fed up with complaints or whiners, I simply don't have enough time on hand to manage this project at the moment. RootBox is not dead, keep that in mind.

There are many others who contribute to the ROM, so we'll see how this affects the updates and additions to Root-box. I usually check the github everyday to see what's happening and Bajee is constantly pushing commits and maintaining it. It's a shame we won't be having him working on this anymore but I can understand the demands life puts on us and sometimes things have to be put on the backburner for a bit. I for one thank him for all his hard work and look forward to his return.

Cheers
-Mike

jamieg71

Mar 13, 2011
Sanford, Florida

For anyone interested, Bajee11 is the creator of our much loved ROM, Root-Box. This was posted on his Google+ account today:

There are many others who contribute to the ROM, so we'll see how this affects the updates and additions to Root-box. I usually check the github everyday to see what's happening and Bajee is constantly pushing commits and maintaining it. It's a shame we won't be having him working on this anymore but I can understand the demands life puts on us and sometimes things have to be put on the backburner for a bit. I for one thank him for all his hard work and look forward to his return.

Cheers
-Mike

Bajee11 is a beast. He definitely deserves a break. Rest assured he'll be back, this is an addiction. ;)
BTW, the ROM is spectacular Mike, great work man. I'm kinda liking flashing someone else's ROM..:cool:

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

mikshepard

Apr 7, 2010
Minneapolis
BTW, the ROM is spectacular Mike, great work man. I'm kinda liking flashing someone else's ROM..:cool:

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

Thanks, that means a lot. It's been a great experience and once I get your tweaks integrated and some more command line tools in there, this will really be something. I appreciate all the help, it's been awesome picking your brain!

-Mike

fredgar75

Feb 18, 2012
Jacksonville

My flash addiction is going crazy right now. I have tried all the other ROMs and nothing comes close to this one. And when I say all I mean ALL. This is the longest I've run one ROM since I started this crap 2 years ago. Excellent work mike! And thank you Jamie for bringing this ROM to us in the first place.

fredgar75

Feb 18, 2012
Jacksonville

Hey Mike, you really need to just throw something up and tell me its an update. I'll believe you. :D

Reactions: scottspa74

jackzepplin

Oct 7, 2010
Lenexa
Is anyone else having issues with GPS on this build? I've been on MeanBean since MikeyXDA started it, but since he went to the dark side (Samsung), he's not developing on it anymore. So far this RootBox has been a great ROM, but my GPS is very spotty. It just comes in and out constantly when I used Google Navigation or Waze. Thoughts?

Thanks!

mikshepard

Apr 7, 2010
Minneapolis
Is anyone else having issues with GPS on this build? I've been on MeanBean since MikeyXDA started it, but since he went to the dark side (Samsung), he's not developing on it anymore. So far this RootBox has been a great ROM, but my GPS is very spotty. It just comes in and out constantly when I used Google Navigation or Waze. Thoughts?

Thanks!

GPS has been solid for me, I get fast locks on GPS Test, down to 12 feet. I use Waze and it's been fine also. You could try flushing your AGPS data, using GPS Test for example, or others have reported occasional GPS problems on AOSP based ROM's being fixed by flashing to a Sense ROM and getting a GPS lock, then rebooting to recovery and re-flashing your AOSP ROM (or Root-Box in this case). I've never had to the do either of these, so I can't testify to their results, but I've seen many others in the forums report success. It may be worth a try if you're having problems.

Of course, check your MD5sum on this ROM and make sure you had a good download before doing anything :)

Hope this helps,
-Mike

Reactions: Riff76

jackzepplin

Oct 7, 2010
Lenexa
GPS has been solid for me, I get fast locks on GPS Test, down to 12 feet. I use Waze and it's been fine also. You could try flushing your AGPS data, using GPS Test for example, or others have reported occasional GPS problems on AOSP based ROM's being fixed by flashing to a Sense ROM and getting a GPS lock, then rebooting to recovery and re-flashing your AOSP ROM (or Root-Box in this case). I've never had to the do either of these, so I can't testify to their results, but I've seen many others in the forums report success. It may be worth a try if you're having problems.

Of course, check your MD5sum on this ROM and make sure you had a good download before doing anything :)

Hope this helps,
-Mike

Thank you. I'll have to fool around with it tomorrow. That's the only thing that has given me a problem. Everything else is just beautiful.

wolfclan68

Aug 5, 2010
Chula Vista, Ca
I don't know what's up with my phone. I've been running Jamie's Rootbox since the day after it came out, love it. Decided to update it with this, and I can't get this to work for me. Sure, it'll boot. I keep getting FC's, reboots, and twice when it rebooted it wouldn't come back up. And yes I did a full wipe. TWRP wiped all four and a superwipe just to be sure. Installed it three times wiping each time, same issues. I guess I should mention it was the 3/18 version, didn't try any others. Of course, I checked the MD5. I know that was the next thing you're going to think of :p. I don't see anyone else mentioning problems like this. GPS is my only issue with Jamie's, could never get it to work. Was hoping this would fix it.

fredgar75

Feb 18, 2012
Jacksonville

I don't know what's up with my phone. I've been running Jamie's Rootbox since the day after it came out, love it. Decided to update it with this, and I can't get this to work for me. Sure, it'll boot. I keep getting FC's, reboots, and twice when it rebooted it wouldn't come back up. And yes I did a full wipe. TWRP wiped all four and a superwipe just to be sure. Installed it three times wiping each time, same issues. I guess I should mention it was the 3/18 version, didn't try any others. Of course, I checked the MD5. I know that was the next thing you're going to think of :p. I don't see anyone else mentioning problems like this. GPS is my only issue with Jamie's, could never get it to work. Was hoping this would fix it.

Wow that is definitely strange. I don't have any of those issues. Try a fresh DL just to be sure, amd try it without the superwipe script. I have had a lot of problems using that in the past. For GPS DL GPS status and tool box from the store and clear your agps cache. Its somewhere in the menu. Then try and get a lock.
Hope this helps bud.

polar2792

Oct 23, 2011
Gastonia, NC

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This is an Unoffical port of Root-Box ROM for our device. I had no part of the development, I only compiled it.

347424.jpg

This is a continuation of jamieg71's Root-Box port for our phone (located here), that’s actually how I found out about it. This is built with a CM10.1 kernel, and Root-Box sources, and a few additional tweaks. The ibtimes.co.uk best describes it:

"The Vanilla Rootbox ROM combines the best custom features of Android Open Kang Project (AOKP) and CyanogenMod (CM) ROM in a single profile, which includes per app DPI, tablet UI and Language features.
    NOTE: As the Vanilla RootBox ROM is based on the newly released Android 4.2.2 firmware which is still under development, it may harbour a few untested bugs or broken features. However, all such issues are expected to be fixed in the upcoming updates as development progress.
    Here is the complete list of key features supported by Vanilla RootBox v3.8 ROM:
    -AOKP Features
    -CM Profiles
    -Per App DPI
    -Per App Tablet UI
    -Per App Language
    -OTA Updates - Goo Manager
    -Navigation Bar Colour
    -Camera: Save to external memory
    -Phone: Advance Phone Settings (Vibrate on Answer, Every 45 Seconds, On Hangup and On Call Waiting)
    -Phone: Noise Suppression
    -MMS: Message rate alerts (Modify SMS message limit for alert)
    -MMS: Fully Customizable MMS Theme
    -MMS: Soft Keyboard Type (Emoji, Enter to Send, Enter for a New Line)
    -Home button call answer (Accessibility Option)
    -Variable size pattern lockscreen
    -LCD Density Changer
    -Low Battery Warning (Pop-up & Sound, Pop-up only, Sound only, Off)
    -Option to control cursor in text fields using volume keys
    -Disable Fullscreen Keyboard (Landscape mode)
    -Expanded Desktop
    -Hold Back to Kill
    -CRT Animation (Screen On/Screen Off)
    -Lockscreen Shortcuts (Paranoid)
    -Pie (Paranoid Android)
    -Lockscreen Targets (CM)
    -Screen Security Features (Unlock options: Quick Unlock, Delay Screen Lock, Menu Unlock, Home Unlock)
    -cLock (Chronus)
    -Option to disable sound when adjusting volume
    -Launch Music app on Headset connection
    -Hardware Keys Remapping
    -Lockscreen Hardware Keys Remapping"
    -AOKP Ribbons
    -Halo (THERE IS A SECURITY EXPLOIT WITH THIS, SEE HERE BEFORE USING)

Mike's Additions:
    Bash: AOSP errors of "void endpwent()(3) is not implemented on Android" patched by me, custom profile (see below)
    Command line tools: openvpn, openssl, nano, netcat, rsync, htop
    Amazing new default wallpaper, designed by Chema Fontán
    Themed Deskclock (Back with blue accents)
    Added new alarm ringtone if you care for some morning madness :)
    Compiled with GCC 4.8
    ROM and Kernel compiled with Linaro -O3 optimizations
    A few dpi tweaks for better experience
    Slimbean Keyboard
    Patched to work with Slim Gapps (to be toggleable with the Dark RootBox option)
    Terminal emulator added
    -More to come

I will try to provide any help I can but I’m not a developer, so my support in fixing any issues CM or AOSP related will be next to nill. I’m just sharing what is working for me if anyone is interesting in using it. I’m really happy with it.

Credits:

kushdeck For making CM possible on this phone, his kernel source is what is powering this ROM.

Root-box They made an awesome ROM.

jamieg71 For his excellent ROM and introducing it to our phone. I look forward to his upcoming versions.

jrior001 He gave me much help with the camera crashing on GCC 4.7 and 4.8.

Enjoy,
    Mike

DOWNLOADS

Latest:
    Nightly 8-05-13
    Nightly 7-24-13
    Nightly 7-22-13
    Nightly 7-10-13 Build by jrior001
    Nightly 5-8-13 Build
    Nightly 4-10-13 Build
    Nightly 4-9-13 Build

TIPS: If nano (a commandline tool) gives you an error of ""Error opening terminal: vt100", type this in the terminal:
    export TERMINFO=/system/etc/terminfo
    export TERM=vt100

GAPPS

I personally recommend you use the Slim Gapps with these builds, they feature toggleable apps (for use with the Dark RootBox option) and my latest builds have been patched to use the gesture keyboard with them. Also, these get updated regularly.

http://slimroms.net/index.php/downloads/dlsearch/viewdownload/383-addons/4530-aio-aroma-4-2-2-build-8

Also, if you want a toggleable Maps, Google+, or Multi-Dpi Play Store:

http://slimroms.net/index.php/downloads/dlsearch/viewcategory/526-apps

Misc Downloads

Themed Deskclock

Multi-dpi Google Play Store (only needed if you plan on changing the default dpi of the ROM - if you don't know what this means, don't bother with it). This is not needed if the Slim GApps is flashed (link above).

4.2 Camera with Photosphere This zip name is camera42patchedv2.zip, does anyone know the creator of it? I can't give proper credit as I downloaded it a while back and don't remember from where.. sorry

4.3 Camera Flash the 4.2 Photosphere zip above and then install this like any other apk. Works great!

Looking for a sound mod?? Check out this excellent how-to for Acid V7 and the Noozxiode by AndrasLOHF.

Changelog:

8/5/13
    It has the usual additions by me (extra alarm tone, new default wallpaper, extra command-line tools, linaro O3 flags, themed alarm clock, SlimBean keyboard, apollo added, etc)
    Compiled with GCC 4.8
    Sync'd to the latest RootBox sources:
    -- Fixes to phone call muting
    -- Fixes to AOKP Ribbons
    -- Other minor fixes
    -- Nexus 7 animations
    Fixed keyboard gesture problem with Slim Gapps, no need to flash normal gapps with them! Flash them by themselves now and enjoy toggleable Gapps!
    Updated bash aliases (see below)
    Updated bash to include TERM and TERMINFO variables (nano, htop, etc. will work out of the box now)
    Compiled with linaro -O3 and GCC 4.8
    Terminal emulator included.
    and others that I'm forgetting.

7/24/13
    Compiled with latest sources
    Incoming call in background option
    Switched to SlimBean's keyboard for a better theme when using the Dark Root-Box option
    Fixed some commandline tools not working (ex. bash)
    Compiled with more cflags (should be more optimized than the last version, not sure how noticeable it'll be though)

7/22/13
    Compiled with latest sources
    -Fixes to halo
    -New iconset
    Compiled with linaro -O3 and GCC 4.7
    Deck's RIL fixes (Patch 23) for data dropping (These commits haven't been committed yet, so they are a work in progress. Again, many thanks to Deck, the latest patch solved my data dropping issues.
    Custom wallpaper from Chema Fontán

7/10/13
    jrior001 helped out and built this build for you guys, I've been backed up with work. So be sure and thank him.

It has the latest Root-Box sources (many changes since last build)
    Linaro -O3 optimizations
    GCC 4.7

5/8/13
    Updated to latest Root-Box sources, with many updates to PA fixes and updates to hybrid settings.
    Headphone fix is now on the ROM side, so using other kernels won't break it.
    Lots of other things, enjoy!

4/10/13
    Added amazing new default wallpaper, designed by Chema Fontán YOU GUYS WILL LOVE THIS!!
    Fixed Bash error of "void endpwent()(3) is not implemented on Android", good riddance!
    Compile busybox with -O3 linaro flags (might make a small speed increase)
    Added nano, rsync, htop, netcat. Put "export TERMINFO=/etc/terminfo" into your bash profile or terminal startup for these to work
    Added custom DPI setting for Calculator, you'll love it
    Fixed Hybrid Settings menu not showing some default options
    Optimized all apk's for better performance
    Added an option to have your phone cook you a pizza from scratch and bring you a beer :)

4/9/13
    -Synced with latest sources, Paranoid Android sources are now integrated
    -To use PA settings, gotto Settings --> Hybrid Settings --> swipe right to pull open the sidebar, and set it to however you like.
    -Lockscreen settings have a new layout with toggle switches
    -8 Lockscreen targets are now allowed

3-31-13-Fixed
    -Fixed headphone not being detected problem, thanks to thicklizard
    -Fixed bootanimation size being off.

3-31-13
    -Compiled with Linaro -O3 flags on the ROM and kernel (thanks to Jamieg71, he helped emensly)
    -Added in Jamie's tweaks to Trebuchet, should fell much snappier
    -Fixed missing "Reboot Bootload" from reboot menu
    -Added in Rootbox bootanimation (I noticed it's the wrong size, it'll be fixed in a day or two, sorry)
    -Added new alarm ringtone if you care for some morning madness :)
    -Rootbox changed AOKP Mms to AOSP Mms, so built-in theme engine is gone and quick reply popup is different.
    -Changed size of Mms quick reply popup
    -Added netcat to command line tools

NOTE: If you have problems with Settings options not showing up when in tablet hybred mode, switch back to normal, adjust your settings, and then switch back. Thanks for temporary fix, Fredgar75. Rootbox is updating their repos with latest Paranoid Android settings, so hopefully this will be fixed shortly. I'll to release an update in the next few days. This is only a problem on hybred mode, the rest of the ROM works great.

3-18-13 -
    ROOTBOX: Breathing StatusBar Missed Call notification effect, Dark Root-Box option (gives everything a darker theme look, Volume Status quick setting option, 16:9 resolution ratio for Camera, More Battery Icon options (the speedometer is really cool), and SuperUser is fully integrated into settings with a dark background now.
    ME: Switched DeskClock to my darker themed version, should be much more pleasing than the grey/red of stock. Compiled bash and openvpn into ROM from the Cyanogen repo's (for those of you that like commandline tools), it doesn't add much to the overall size of the ROM.
    NONE OF JAMIES TWEAKS WERE ADDED TO THIS VERSION. We're both very busy, so I compiled this to hold everyone over. Stay tuned and I'll try to get that done as soon as I can, thanks.

3-9-13 - Breathing StatusBar Messaging notification effect (from Root-Box), fix for hard button long-press (if you experience this, from CM), bash shell (compiled in by me from CM repo)

Bash features:

33QALvmh

-Modified login to say "Good Morning", "Good Afternoon" etc, based on the time of day,
    -Outputs kernel version, uptime, current time, and who you are logged in as (color coded) at time of login (see pic).
    -TERM and TERMINFO variables assigned by default. Nano, htop, etc. will work on every ROM now.
    -Custom aliases (quick commands)
    diskspace - show you a listing of directories and their size
    x - exit
    ff - find a file (type the name after ff, i.e "ff Term.apk")
    lsd - list only directories
    .. - go back one directory
    ... - go back two directories
    ... - go back three directories

I recommend you switch the default shell in TERM to use this, (Preferences --> Command Line --> enter "/system/xbin/bash").
    ** HOW-TO COMPILE THIS YOURSELF **

Here are my notes on how to port Root-Box to our devices, should anyone be interested in compiling their own. I ran into a few headaches when I attempted this, so I’m hoping these notes will save others from that. The point of this tutorial is to teach newbies how to port a ROM, while I could do some things on my end make it easier to compile this ROM, I think it's important to outline all the steps involved in doing this by hand, so the methods may be applied to other ROM ports, not just Root-Box.

I compiled on a Debian Wheezy system, 64bit (squeeze should be the same). A 64-bit computer is required to compile Jellybean (ICS and above for that matter), so don’t attempt this on anything less. If you are unfamiliar with installing Debian, you can use LMDE, it's a live Debian system that you can install with minimal linux knowledge and works pretty nice. However the installation process is pretty easy for vanilla Debian and a good learning process, so give it a shot if you have the time.

Do this all as root

Download dependencies:

Code:
    apt-get install git-core gnupg flex bison gperf build-essential zip curl libc6-dev libncurses5-dev x11proto-core-dev libx11-dev libreadline6-dev g++-multilib mingw32 openjdk-6-jdk tofrodos python-markdown libxml2 libxml2-utils schedtool pngcrush xsltproc zlib1g-dev lib32stdc++6 lib32ncurses5 ncurses-libs.i686 libstdc++.i686 libgcc.i686 lib32readline-gplv2-dev lib32z1-dev

Link files:

Code:
    ln -s /lib32/libncurses.so.5 /lib32/libncurses.so

or for Ubuntu 10.10:

Code:
    sudo ln -s /usr/lib32/mesa/libGL.so.1 /usr/lib32/mesa/libGL.so

Install Google’s repo script:

Code:
    mkdir ~/bin
    PATH=~/bin:$PATH
    curl https://dl-ssl.google.com/dl/googlesource/git-repo/repo > ~/bin/repo
    chmod 755 ~/bin/repo

Make your working Directory and start syncing with Root-Box

Code:
    mkdir ~/rootbox; cd ~/rootbox
    repo init -u https://github.com/Root-Box/platform_manifest.git -b jb-mr1
    repo sync

Create a local_manifests file with Cyanogenmods sources for our phone and kernel (thanks to Deck’s work). This is porting part.

Code:
    mkdir ~/rootbox/.repo/local_manifests
    echo ‘<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
    <manifest>
      <project name="CyanogenMod/android_device_htc_jewel" path="device/htc/jewel" remote="gh" revision="cm-10.1" />
      <project name="CyanogenMod/android_device_htc_msm8960-common" path="device/htc/msm8960-common" remote="gh" revision="cm-10.1" />
      <project name="CyanogenMod/android_device_htc_s4-common" path="device/htc/s4-common" remote="gh" revision="cm-10.1" />
      <project name="CyanogenMod/android_kernel_htc_msm8960" path="kernel/htc/msm8960" remote="gh" revision="cm-10.1" />
      <project name="TheMuppets/proprietary_vendor_htc" path="vendor/htc" remote="gh" revision="cm-10.1" />
    </manifest>’ > ~/rootbox/.repo/local_manifests/jewel.xml

Sync the repo again

Code:
    repo sync

Create your device file for Root-Box (adapted from CM’s cm.mk file):

Code:
    echo ‘$(call inherit-product, vendor/rootbox/configs/common.mk)

$(call inherit-product, vendor/rootbox/configs/cdma.mk)

# Enhanced NFC
    #$(call inherit-product, vendor/cm/config/nfc_enhanced.mk)

# Inherit device configuration
    $(call inherit-product, device/htc/jewel/jewel.mk)

# Device naming
    PRODUCT_DEVICE := jewel
    PRODUCT_NAME := rootbox_jewel
    PRODUCT_BRAND := htc
    PRODUCT_MODEL := EVO
    PRODUCT_MANUFACTURER := HTC

# Set build fingerprint / ID / Product Name ect.
    PRODUCT_BUILD_PROP_OVERRIDES += PRODUCT_NAME=htc_jewel BUILD_ID=JRO03C BUILD_FINGERPRINT="htc/jewel/jewel:4.1.1/JRO03C/147243.3:user/release-keys" PRIVATE_BUILD_DESC="3.16.651.3 CL147243 release-keys"

# Release name
    PRODUCT_RELEASE_NAME := jewel

# Boot animation
    TARGET_SCREEN_HEIGHT := 1280
    TARGET_SCREEN_WIDTH := 720

# PA OVERLAY_TARGET
    OVERLAY_TARGET := pa_jewel

# Copy compatible prebuilt files
    PRODUCT_COPY_FILES +=  \
        vendor/rootbox/prebuilt/bootanimation/bootanimation_1280_720.zip:system/media/bootanimation.zip

-include vendor/rootbox/configs/common_versions.mk’ > ~/rootbox/vendor/rootbox/products/jewel.mk

edit /vendor/rootbox/products/AndroidProducts.mk and add a \ to the last line and then add $(LOCAL_DIR)/jewel.mk under that. So every line but the last ends in “\”. It should look something like this at the end of the file when done.

$(LOCAL_DIR)/toro.mk \
    $(LOCAL_DIR)/t0lte.mk \
    $(LOCAL_DIR)/jewel.mk

then add our device to the vendorsetup.sh file

Code:
    echo “add_lunch_combo rootbox_jewel-userdebug” >> ~/rootbox/vendor/rootbox/vendorsetup.sh

Now, lets create the PA defaults for the per-app-dpi and hybrid settings. It will build and look fine with these xhdpi defaults, but I suggest you look over the pa_jewel.conf at least, here is where you can change the defaults for how apps and settings will look. Setting the "com.android.systemui.navbar.dpi" to "0" is a good idea since we have hardware buttons (but it's a person preference).

Code:
    cp ~/rootbox/vendor/rootbox/pa_xhdpi.conf ~/rootbox/vendor/rootbox/pa_jewel.conf
    cp -r ~/rootbox/vendor/rootbox/preferences/pa_xhdpi ~/rootbox/vendor/rootbox/preferences/pa_jewel

remove a conflicting file:

Code:
    /device/htc/msm8960-common/overlay/packages/apps/Settings/res/values/arrays.xml

OPTIONAL: lets add the "Reboot Bootloader" to our reboot menu:

Code:
    echo '<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
    <resources xmlns:xliff="urn:oasis:names:tc:xliff:document:1.2">

<!-- reboot options -->
        <string-array name="reboot_options">
                <item>@string/reboot</item>
                <item>@string/reboot_recovery</item>
                <item>@string/reboot_bootloader</item>
        </string-array>

<!-- reboot values -->
        <string-array name="reboot_values">
                <item></item>
                <item>recovery</item>
                <item>bootloader</item>
        </string-array>
    </resources>' >  ~/root/rootbox/device/htc/s4-common/overlay/framework/base/core/res/res/values/arrays.xml

now we build our environment:

Code:
    . build/envsetup.sh

build your new ROM for our device:

Code:
    . build_rootbox.sh jewel `grep 'processor' /proc/cpuinfo | wc -l`
    (the last part can be a number instead of the "grep command", it's how many cpu cores you have)

when finished, it’ll be located in ~/rootbox//out/target/product/jewel/

NOTE: If later on, you get a problem when trying to do a repo sync because of files wanting to be overridden, take note of the files. They are most likely the ones we edited to add the jewel device (~/rootbox/vendor/rootbox/products/AndroidProducts.mk, or /vendor/rootbox/vendorsetup.sh), delete them, and re-add the changes back after the sync is done. This will only happen if those files get updated on the git repo. The cleaner way to do this is to fork these to your own git repo and update them from there, however this tutorial is to teach you how to port ROMs, so we are doing it manually here. Let me know if you see any errors and I’ll update this.

EXTRAS:
    Compile Bash Shell into ROM:

add two lines into your ~/.repo/local_manifests/jewel.xml so it looks like this:

Code:
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>                                                                                                                                                                 
    <manifest>                                                                                                                                                                                             
      <project name="CyanogenMod/android_device_htc_jewel" path="device/htc/jewel" remote="gh" revision="cm-10.1" />                                                                                       
      <project name="CyanogenMod/android_device_htc_msm8960-common" path="device/htc/msm8960-common" remote="gh" revision="cm-10.1" />   
      <project name="CyanogenMod/android_device_htc_s4-common" path="device/htc/s4-common" remote="gh" revision="cm-10.1" />                                                                  
      <project name="CyanogenMod/android_kernel_htc_msm8960" path="kernel/htc/msm8960" remote="gh" revision="cm-10.1" />                                                                                   
      <project name="TheMuppets/proprietary_vendor_htc" path="vendor/htc" remote="gh" revision="cm-10.1" />                                                                                                

<!-- add patched bash -->                                    
    <project name="mikshepard/android_external_bash" path="external/bash" remote="gh" revision="cm-10.1" />                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                
    </manifest>

and edit your ~/device/htc/jewel/jewel.mk and add the following to it (somewhere in the middle is fine):

Code:
     Extra Commondline Tools
    PRODUCT_PACKAGES += \
        bash

Compile with GCC 4.7

This is a bit more complicated and should not be attempted until you are comfortable with the above, some debugging may be required.

Add this line to your ~/device/htc/s4-common/BoardConfigCommon.mk

Code:
    # Use GCC 4.7
    TARGET_GCC_VERSION := 4.7

now you need to adjust your TARGET_linux-arm.mk to use some different cflags otherwise you will not be able to connect to the camera. This has been adapted from the work by jrior001 and SlimROMS. Just adjust your ~/build/combo/TARGET_linux-arm.mk to match the following:

https://github.com/mikshepard/android_build/blob/416eae1fb70fcab3b9075fc44699ec2f7d2799f8/core/combo/TARGET_linux-arm.mk

I suggest you look at the comments in there to understand what is being changed.

Now build like normal. PM me if you have problems.

TIP:

If you are into building, checkout my acompile script in my signature, it'll email you when your build is complete using Gmail's snmp and will include the time it took and the last few lines of the output. I find it very useful for knowing when my build is done (especially since they take me about 3+ hours apiece)

SOURCES:

This page helped a lot with a great tutorial on building ROMS

This forum is filled with great people who others with the building of ROMS. A great source when you run into errors you don’t understand.

Hope this helps someone,
    -Mike
    OP has been updated with a new nightly syncing all changes to date. Jamie's tweaks will be coming in a later version, hopefully this holds everyone over. Enjoy!

-Mike

Changelog for 3-18-13:

ROOTBOX: Breathing StatusBar Missed Call notification effect, Dark Root-Box option (gives everything a darker theme look, Volume Status quick setting option, 16:9 resolution ratio for Camera, More Battery Icon options (the speedometer is really cool), and SuperUser is fully integrated into settings with a dark background now.

ME: Switched DeskClock to my darker themed version, should be much more pleasing than the grey/red of stock. Compiled bash, nano, htop, netcat, openvpn, and rsync into ROM from the Cyanogen repo's (for those of you that like commandline tools), it doesn't add much to the overall size of the ROM.

EDIT: Ok, I lied. Nano, netcat, rsync, and htop didn't seem to take on the compile. Bash and openvpn work fine though. While these missing command line tools won't matter to the majority of you, I'll look into this and hopefully have it working in the next version for the few that it does. My apologies.
    Get ready for a treat!

I'm uploading a new build now, you guys are going to love it! All apks have been optimized, bash shell has been fixed, a sweet new wallpaper is set as the default (amazing work by Chema Fontán), the calculator has a custom dpi that works great, busybox has been customized with -O3 flags, PA settings has been fixed, htop and nano are working, and much more. I've been working hard on this and I'm dead proud of it. It'll be up soon and I hope you enjoy it as much as me!

Cheers,
    Mike

EDIT: OP updated with changelog and link. This is a great release, enjoy it!!
    Ok guys, here's an update for you all. I'm sorry for it taking so long, I haven't been slacking on it, haha. I've litterly been getting hit left and right with problems on adding these linaro toolchains. I've done at least 14 compiles of this ROM since the last version I've released to you all. However, I'm finally proud to have a new release and a roadmap of what I feel is left to do on this ROM. Bear with me as I muscle through these TODO items, some of them may take me a bit to figure out, but I'm really trying to get stuff out in a timely fashion.

Anyways, on to the good stuff. I'm seeing much better battery life with this so far, it seems a bit snappier than before (could be linaro, could be placebo, you be the judge). The changelog is below and on the OP, I've also included a TODO list, so you all can see what I am working on. Many thanks to Jamie for all his help and detailed answers, and to Fredgar75 for testing this release before I opened it to everyone. Enjoy

Link: 3-31-13

-Compiled with Linaro -O3 flags on the ROM and kernel (thanks to Jamieg71, he helped emensly)
    -Added in Jamie's tweaks to Trebuchet, should fell much snappier
    -Fixed missing "Reboot Bootload" from reboot menu
    -Added in Rootbox bootanimation (I noticed it's the wrong size, it'll be fixed in a day or two, sorry)
    -Added new alarm ringtone if you care for some morning madness :)
    -Rootbox sources changed AOKP Mms to AOSP Mms, so built-in theme engine is gone and quick reply popup is different.
    -Changed size of Mms quick reply popup (it was really large at first)
    -Added netcat to command line tools

NOTE: If you have problems with Settings options not showing up when in tablet hybred mode, switch back to normal, adjust your settings, and then switch back. Thanks for temporary fix, Fredgar75. Rootbox is updating their repos with latest Paranoid Android settings, so hopefully this will be fixed shortly. I'll to release an update in the next few days. This is only a problem on hybred mode, the rest of the ROM works great.

TODO:
    -Set TERMINFO global environment variable (for nano and htop).
    -Fix notification light not blinking
    -Remove -fno-strict-aliasing for linaro compiling (per jamie's suggestion)
    -Compile rsync and htop into ROM
    -add some kernel tweaks

-Mike