Diy active car dock

Search This thread

jimsey

Oct 14, 2007
Lancashire
Following my successful attempt at a diy desktop dock, I 've had a first attempt at a diy car dock with charger pins to use the contacts on the side of the phone.

I used a cheap suction cup type car holder, the same type of pogo pins as in my desk dock and some sugru to hold the pins in place on the dock.
Works a charm but as always the sugru looks a bit like I've stuck a blob of play-doh on the dock!
But it works and doesn't look too bad

Sent from my C6603 using xda premium

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1364639759870.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1364639759870.jpg
    197 KB · Views: 2,878
  • uploadfromtaptalk1364639786026.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1364639786026.jpg
    205.3 KB · Views: 2,651
  • 20130330_103029.jpg
    20130330_103029.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 2,635
Last edited:

eddietah

Jan 3, 2013
Following my successful attempt at a diy desktop dock, I 've had a first attempt at a diy car dock with charger pins to use the contacts on the side of the phone.

I used a cheap suction cup type car holder, the same type of pogo pins as in my desk dock and some sugru to hold the pins in place on the dock.
Works a charm but as always the sugru looks a bit like I've stuck a blob of play-doh on the dock!

OMG you are really a genius :good:

HYPER-X10

Apr 13, 2010
www.hypertune.net

Good job mate.

Where did you get the pogo pins?

jimsey

Oct 14, 2007
Lancashire
Good job mate.

Where did you get the pogo pins?

Hi,

the pogo pins were bought from RS online:

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/products/7020109/

they are cheap enough but delivery is expensive so it's better to collect from a local store if you can

the car dock was from Amazon:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00BJPW8KU/ref=oh_details_o06_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

As was the sugru, but you can get that from lots of stores and hot glue might work just as well

Entropy512

Senior Recognized Developer
Aug 31, 2007
Owego, NY
I need to find a USA source for short pogos like that... Sparkfun's are way too long.

And the other big problem is - I probably can't get a nice car mount like that in the USA. :(

jimsey

Oct 14, 2007
Lancashire
I need to find a USA source for short pogos like that... Sparkfun's are way too long.

And the other big problem is - I probably can't get a nice car mount like that in the USA. :(

Hi Entropy,

the dock I used is available on Amazon us site
http://www.amazon.com/Measure-Winds...=1364855931&sr=8-7&keywords=xperia+z+dock+car
thought it's a bit more expensive than I paid in the uk.

Newark seem to stock millmax connectors pretty cheaply in the US
http://www.newark.com/spring-loaded

:)

gibo986

Apr 10, 2009

Great job!!

But could you give me some more details on how you made the connector? connecting pogo pins with usb? I would like to try something like that!
Thanks!

jimsey

Oct 14, 2007
Lancashire
Great job!!

But could you give me some more details on how you made the connector? connecting pogo pins with usb? I would like to try something like that!
Thanks!

You can buy female micro usb plugs on eBay or Amazon, I used a spare adapter from a universal charger, pulled it to bits and soldered the pogo pins on with some wire.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.