T-Mobile LTE in announced markets

Search This thread

Cynagen

Feb 20, 2006
San Jose
www.cynagen.com
Cool, can you post a speed test. :)

I can confirm the Phoenix metro market got LTE on the turn-on date March 26th as expected. I went into the store on the 27th and ran a speedtest on one of the Note 2s in the store. I'll post a confirmation picture I took with my SGS2, but it came out to 33mbps down, 22-23mbps up on LTE. I'm waiting for the SGS3-LTE to come into my local store then I'm likely going to sell my SGS2 and take some money from my paycheck and buy the new T999L.

Reactions: Greg1964

Cynagen

Feb 20, 2006
San Jose
www.cynagen.com
What's interesting is my Nexus 4 gets a drastically better LTE signal than my Note II. On average ~10dB better.

That is interesting because the LTE radio in the N4 does not have an amplifier connected to it like the Note II. Every report of signal quality for LTE on the N4 I've seen has been poor levels, functioning but poor. The Note II at the store down the street from me was working fine with full signal, I didn't get the detailed dB on it though. I haven't seen what the N4s look like out here with service, but now I might need to look into picking up an N4 to get the LTE service.

Dr. Hax

Dec 19, 2010
Virginia Beach
That is interesting because the LTE radio in the N4 does not have an amplifier connected to it like the Note II. Every report of signal quality for LTE on the N4 I've seen has been poor levels, functioning but poor. The Note II at the store down the street from me was working fine with full signal, I didn't get the detailed dB on it though. I haven't seen what the N4s look like out here with service, but now I might need to look into picking up an N4 to get the LTE service.

My note II averages -105dBm at my house while my Nexus 4 averages -95dBm. That's pretty significant. Again, this is LTE.
Neither phone drops it or anything like that. How do we know for sure the Nexus doesn't have an amp?

Cynagen

Feb 20, 2006
San Jose
www.cynagen.com
My note II averages -105dBm at my house while my Nexus 4 averages -95dBm. That's pretty significant. Again, this is LTE.
Neither phone drops it or anything like that. How do we know for sure the Nexus doesn't have an amp?
IGNORE ME I HAVE BEEN CORRECTED, THERE IS FULLY OPERATIONAL LTE HARDWARE IN THE N4! HOORAY!
There was a discussion after the phone was pulled apart XDA style and we first discovered that it even HAD an LTE radio (I remember the uproar when that was found, remember it's UNLICENSED (no FCC regulatory approval)). People noticed that there was no amplifier for the LTE radio but there were solder points for it. Based on this information plus the weak LTE signals people were getting on AT&T in most areas (-107dBm or less) everyone put two and two together to get that there was no amplifier built in. The amplifier is only really needed to enhance the reception to the tower, not from the tower (you can't boost a useless signal into a usable one if the antenna can't receive the signal already, it doesn't work like that), so as long as you're in the city, you'll have LTE without a problem as you're mentioning. The amplifier is enabled and used for transmissions when you're further away from the tower and the signal cannot carry as far from the chip's existing amp (typically weak) in order to maintain a two-way transmission. This would also account for the longer battery life that people are reporting on their N4s after they switch over to LTE primary. No amp means no extra draw against the battery as the GSM radio is only used as backup and for calls on T-Mobile (they don't do VoLTE). Typically a tower will not enable broadcast in a direction that there is no serviceable clients, hence the multiple vertical aerials facing 3 directions, and will cease to broadcast at full strength until it receives contact from a client device (power savings). Either your basic amp built into the chip is hitting the tower or there's other LTE users in your area and keeping the tower at full strength, either way, AWESOME.

Last edited:

eservant

Aug 31, 2010
Va Beach
Google Pixel 7
There was a discussion after the phone was pulled apart XDA style and we first discovered that it even HAD an LTE radio (I remember the uproar when that was found, remember it's UNLICENSED (no FCC regulatory approval)). People noticed that there was no amplifier for the LTE radio but there were solder points for it. Based on this information plus the weak LTE signals people were getting on AT&T in most areas (-107dBm or less) everyone put two and two together to get that there was no amplifier built in. The amplifier is only really needed to enhance the reception to the tower, not from the tower (you can't boost a useless signal into a usable one if the antenna can't receive the signal already, it doesn't work like that), so as long as you're in the city, you'll have LTE without a problem as you're mentioning. The amplifier is enabled and used for transmissions when you're further away from the tower and the signal cannot carry as far from the chip's existing amp (typically weak) in order to maintain a two-way transmission. This would also account for the longer battery life that people are reporting on their N4s after they switch over to LTE primary. No amp means no extra draw against the battery as the GSM radio is only used as backup and for calls on T-Mobile (they don't do VoLTE). Typically a tower will not enable broadcast in a direction that there is no serviceable clients, hence the multiple vertical aerials facing 3 directions, and will cease to broadcast at full strength until it receives contact from a client device (power savings). Either your basic amp built into the chip is hitting the tower or there's other LTE users in your area and keeping the tower at full strength, either way, AWESOME.

Just to enlighten, the nexus 4 lacks no components to function properly on T-mobile's network, as a matter of fact it's fully functional on any band 4( 1700/2100mhz) LTE network. Check out this article and the Nexus 4 LTE Band Coverage table about half way down the page.

Cynagen

Feb 20, 2006
San Jose
www.cynagen.com
Just to enlighten, the nexus 4 lacks no components to function properly on T-mobile's network, as a matter of fact it's fully functional on any band 4( 1700/2100mhz) LTE network. Check out this article and the Nexus 4 LTE Band Coverage table about half way down the page.

That's awesome that it's confirmed all PAs are there! I stand corrected and have updated this information in my brain for future reference!

Greg1964

Oct 9, 2012
So basically all the surrounding cities such as Tempe,media,gilbert,etc should have lte as well. Thanks

Sent from my HTC Sensation using xda app-developers app

---------- Post added at 02:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:25 AM ----------

Mesa not media sorry about that should have Lte. Thanks!!!

Cynagen

Feb 20, 2006
San Jose
www.cynagen.com
So basically all the surrounding cities such as Tempe,media,gilbert,etc should have lte as well. Thanks

---------- Post added at 02:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:25 AM ----------

Mesa not media sorry about that should have Lte. Thanks!!!

Yup, LTE 33mbps down, 23mbps up was tested at the T-Mobile store on Baseline & Rural in Tempe 2 days after launch of the LTE service in the valley on a Galaxy Note II in-store display model using Speedtest.net. Reports are mixed from the west valley that LTE is either not up or is spotty, and there is continuing tower maintenance to bring LTE online out there currently. (Lot of my friends are on T-Mo, we all love the service)

Greg1964

Oct 9, 2012
This is all great news I cant wait for the HTC one to be released. :)

rp56

Feb 8, 2013
My brother got 47 down and 29 m.b.p.s. up in mesa,A.Z. on his n4 pretty good.tmobiles Lte service so far is really impressive.I'm sorry that I dont have a pic of the speed test. :)

milan03

Feb 22, 2011
New York City
My brother got 47 down and 29 m.b.p.s. up in mesa,A.Z. on his n4 pretty good.tmobiles Lte service so far is really impressive.I'm sorry that I dont have a pic of the speed test. :)

Upload of 29Mbps is impossible on 2x10Mhz LTE physical layer. Maximum is 26Mbps.

clj575

Dec 11, 2010
Phoenix
Speed test at i10 & Ray high 30s...

Sent from my SGH-T889 using xda premium

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1366043156107.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1366043156107.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 85

clj575

Dec 11, 2010
Phoenix
Speed test at i17 & union hills...
Mid to high 20s

Sent from my SGH-T889 using xda premium

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1366043342388.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1366043342388.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 76

Greg1964

Oct 9, 2012
I cant wait to receive my HTC one for I can some speed tests.

sgs22012

Feb 5, 2012
va,usa
Any word when tmo will raise above 17 down and 6 up in northern va or dc?

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This thread is for pretty much anyone who has T-Mobile LTE in a market where they haven't announced it yet.
    I live in Virginia Beach and saw today (surprised as hell) that I have LTE...
    IGNORE ME I HAVE BEEN CORRECTED, THERE IS FULLY OPERATIONAL LTE HARDWARE IN THE N4! HOORAY!
    Cool, can you post a speed test. :)

I can confirm the Phoenix metro market got LTE on the turn-on date March 26th as expected. I went into the store on the 27th and ran a speedtest on one of the Note 2s in the store. I'll post a confirmation picture I took with my SGS2, but it came out to 33mbps down, 22-23mbps up on LTE. I'm waiting for the SGS3-LTE to come into my local store then I'm likely going to sell my SGS2 and take some money from my paycheck and buy the new T999L.

That's awesome that it's confirmed all PAs are there! I stand corrected and have updated this information in my brain for future reference!