[Q] The need for powerful, yet small phones

Search This thread

arturiu

Feb 22, 2013
Why aren't phone manufacturers building powerful, yet small, phones ?

Nowadays, we see all top models being released with 4.5" or bigger screens, just like if "size matters" is the only valid argument for the premium market. Well, screen size is not the only argument for choosing a top model phone (stress on the word phone).

We should have an option to choose between big and flashy multimedia devices versus portable, yet powerful phones.

Here's an example:

I bought an Xperia Ray almost 2 years ago because it was designed to be a compact, well built and powerful device. And I payed the premium price, because I wanted exactly that !

Well, if you look at the current market for alternatives to my Ray (form factor, updated power chipset+ram, built quality, design), you can't find many devices out there. Maybe the (just 786mb RAM) HTC Desire X, or the (cheap plastic, avg screen) Galaxy S3 mini ?

There is a phone that would be almost perfect, the Xperia SX, but it was built for the japanese market and it's frequency bands.
The question is: why didn't Sony release an international model equivalent to that one ?
I mean, almost everybody that owns one says it is a very good device (built quality, specs, camera, design) and very light and portable.

As a result, many Ray users are still waiting for alternatives to their (aging) device, due to the lack of offer in this specific premium segment.

Isn't this ridiculous ? Or are we doomed to extintion ?

Attachments

• se-xperia-ray-ofic-1.jpg
    se-xperia-ray-ofic-1.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 186
  • Sony-Xperia-SX-SO-05D.jpg
    Sony-Xperia-SX-SO-05D.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 208

arturiu

Feb 22, 2013
Just as a coincidence, a new petition at GSM Arena was just launched: "Join our quest for a high-end compact Android smartphone"

Seems that the subject trend is rising among premium consumers.

Last edited:

SXUsr

Jul 11, 2010
Here =)
+1 For smaller devices. I actually sold my Xperia Arc to buy the Xperia Ray because I craved the compactness of Phones from yesteryear, although not their simplicity lol. I remember when I got my Nokia 8210, beautiful little Phone at the time...

2hfmn2f.jpg

...and my Ray gives me the same pleasure in terms of size....

2w24h94.jpg

...so I'm pleased to see someone trying to point out to the manufacturers that some of us want our Phones to be mobile Phone sized, and if we want and need a tablet sized device, we'll buy a tablet.

arturiu

Feb 22, 2013
Well, it doesn't have to be tiny ;), since we need the smartphone features like browsing, maps, mail/calendar, ...

In my opinion, a well built phone, with near highend specs and compact is perfectly possible with current technology.

They just have to go after this forgotten market segment.

Last edited:

sooyong94

Dec 25, 2010
Malaysia
Well... the truth is the majority of users do want a large phone, and most manufacturers have to appeal to them. Compact, powerful phones are not likely to exist any time unless the majority starts to think the portability starts to affect. Screen size isn't matter for me, as long as they can maintain the device profile. The GS4 is a good example, despite it's larger screen, it is more compact than the GS3

Sent from my E10i using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 01:21 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:19 AM ----------

Well, it doesn't have to be tiny ;), since we need the smartphone features like browsing, maps, mail/calendar, ...

In my opinion, a well built phone, with near highend specs and compact is perfectly possible with current technology.

Again, what's the point of having high end specs if your usage is web browsing and emails? :confused:

---------- Post added at 01:21 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:21 AM ----------

Again, what's the point of having high end specs if your usage is web browsing and emails? :confused:

zelendel

Aug 11, 2008
OnePlus 6T
OnePlus 9
Well... the truth is the majority of users do want a large phone, and most manufacturers have to appeal to them. Compact, powerful phones are not likely to exist any time unless the majority starts to think the portability starts to affect. Screen size isn't matter for me, as long as they can maintain the device profile. The GS4 is a good example, despite it's larger screen, it is more compact than the GS3

---------- Post added at 01:21 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:19 AM ----------

---------- Post added at 01:21 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:21 AM ----------

Well considering that is what a business person uses for. That is a very good point.

I see no point in treating a $700 mobile device like a kids gaming toy as alot of people use them for.

SXUsr

Jul 11, 2010
Here =)
Well, not THAT small as that nokia :)
My perfect device would be the same dimensions as the 8210, but with a slide out keyboard and fill the top with a screen similar to the design of the Ray. :)
Well... the truth is the majority of users do want a large phone, and most manufacturers have to appeal to them.
I think they've been pushed on us, as they seem to think the "majority" of us want an all in one device that's a Phone, Multimedia, Gaming and a Tablet, which the GSMARENA Petition shows that that's not actually what some of us want.

ria__x

Apr 16, 2013
MCR
i can see the pros of having a big phone, seeing as i just got one.. but also do miss little phones (loved the little nokia phones!)

with phones being all touchscreen, is why the screens are big i think, as many older consumers don't like the tiny buttons/touchscreen kb. so i guess they're just catering to everyone. but yeah.. +12345 on small, yet powerful smartphone!

samjeremia

Apr 19, 2013
well at least in my country the chances for it to lose is smaller the bigger the phone. anyway I am a teacher and I was thinking to get a small android or presumably android watch where I can control my slide wirelessly without any of my student noticing it. the were mostly 12 years so you can picture the scene...

barondebxl

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
There are plenty phones that are 4.3 inch and smaller. HTC One S, HTC first, iPhone 5 and most likely the upcoming iPhone 5s, Samsung galaxy s 3 mini, plenty other more that I can't name off the top. As far as flagship phones, bigger is better right now.

Leopooh

Mar 17, 2012
And topic is still actual... Z1 Compact isn't compact at all... And nothing <=4" power enough to replace Ray.
The only problem I have with Ray is RAM size - iGo navigation always remind me that I have only 512Mb :(
I want the same phone with more RAM...

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Why aren't phone manufacturers building powerful, yet small, phones ?

Nowadays, we see all top models being released with 4.5" or bigger screens, just like if "size matters" is the only valid argument for the premium market. Well, screen size is not the only argument for choosing a top model phone (stress on the word phone).

We should have an option to choose between big and flashy multimedia devices versus portable, yet powerful phones.

Here's an example:

I bought an Xperia Ray almost 2 years ago because it was designed to be a compact, well built and powerful device. And I payed the premium price, because I wanted exactly that !

Well, if you look at the current market for alternatives to my Ray (form factor, updated power chipset+ram, built quality, design), you can't find many devices out there. Maybe the (just 786mb RAM) HTC Desire X, or the (cheap plastic, avg screen) Galaxy S3 mini ?

There is a phone that would be almost perfect, the Xperia SX, but it was built for the japanese market and it's frequency bands.
    The question is: why didn't Sony release an international model equivalent to that one ?
    I mean, almost everybody that owns one says it is a very good device (built quality, specs, camera, design) and very light and portable.

As a result, many Ray users are still waiting for alternatives to their (aging) device, due to the lack of offer in this specific premium segment.

Isn't this ridiculous ? Or are we doomed to extintion ?