POLL: Unable to unlock your prime? POTENTIAL FIX! Mine is unlocked!

How was your unlocking experience using Asus' unlock tool?

• Unlocked with no issues whatsoever.

Votes: 151 29.1%
  • Unlocked after factory reset.

Votes: 12 2.3%
  • Unlocked after downgrading to older version.

Votes: 3 0.6%
  • Unlocked EVEN after an RMA.

Votes: 7 1.3%
  • Unable to unlock due to "unknown error".

Votes: 346 66.7%

• Total voters
Search This thread

iamroddo

Oct 18, 2010
Heidelberg
I had the unknown error message that many seem to suffer. I had RMA'd it several times, including to replace the main board. I contacted Asus support via their web form and explained that I wanted to unlock but hadn't been able due to the error. They told me to do a factory test which didn't help, then they asked for a screenshot which contained my serial and WiFi MAC. A couple of days they got back to request that I try again, it worked!

I'm in the Netherlands and I think that is where my first line support came from. I got the feeling that the procedure they used to fix the issue required contracting head office and that they had not used it much.

BTW I also got them to repair a cracked screen on their expense by complaining that to not do so would not comply with EU consumer protection law.

Tableuraz

Apr 15, 2009
Is there a free phone number to call them, I might try this as well this afternoon... ˆ_ˆ

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using xda app-developers app

nhshah7

Feb 14, 2009
Boston
I had the unknown error message that many seem to suffer. I had RMA'd it several times, including to replace the main board. I contacted Asus support via their web form and explained that I wanted to unlock but hadn't been able due to the error. They told me to do a factory test which didn't help, then they asked for a screenshot which contained my serial and WiFi MAC. A couple of days they got back to request that I try again, it worked!

I'm in the Netherlands and I think that is where my first line support came from. I got the feeling that the procedure they used to fix the issue required contracting head office and that they had not used it much.

BTW I also got them to repair a cracked screen on their expense by complaining that to not do so would not comply with EU consumer protection law.

Who was your contact?!? I have been talking to Tien but if you're contact was able to get it to work, let's email him a bunch of our info and see if it works!

There is hope!!!

Sent from my HTC One X using xda app-developers app

richardmlea

Jul 13, 2011
Who was your contact?!? I have been talking to Tien but if you're contact was able to get it to work, let's email him a bunch of our info and see if it works!

There is hope!!!

Sent from my HTC One X using xda app-developers app
I also would like this person's contact detail too, can you pm me
I would like To pass it onto my contact at Asus UK as they has been unable to assist me with this problem. It seems that they don't talk to each other and share fix info.

iamroddo

Oct 18, 2010
Heidelberg
I used the Asus support contact on the web, I had no special channel. I think that redirects to something local, in my case in NL. I was later told by the support tech that they needed to contact HQ in Taiwan to arrange the fix, which indeed was related to the RMA of my wireless board.

ZR1000A1

Feb 12, 2010
Ok guys. After 2.5 months, 2 RMA's (last one took 20 days!), about 100 emails to ASUS tech support and repair center, almost 5 hours on phone line, I finally GOT MY DEVICE UNLOCKED!!! I don't know what they were doing to it for 20 days, but I've got it back today and it unlocked on the first try. ASUS knows how to make it work, they just don't want to do it! You should push really hard, and eventually they will give up! Now, it's up to you if it's actually worth the effort...

Edit: One thing I noticed is that WiFi MAC has been changed. S/N is the same.

Last edited:

Asus_USA

Verified ASUS Rep
Apr 29, 2011
Hey Everyone!

I haven't been on here in a while, but I'm back!

For those who are in the US, have had their Primes RMAed, and can still not get the device to unlock, I am going to see if I can help. Please shoot me an e-mail at cl-tien@asus.com. Use the e-mail address as I rarely check the PMs here. In the e-mail, please include:

Name:
Previous RMA #s:
Device Serial Number:
MAC Address from the "about tablet" screen in the Settings:

A screen shot of the About Tablet screen would be OK too; just make sure to send as an attachment.

I am going to gather up some affected users and submit them to HQ. Hopefully, we can get some answers and some solutions soon. No promises as of right now, but we at the US office would like to get this resolved.

Many thanks to nhshah7 for keeping me informed regarding this possible solution from HQ.

nhshah7

Feb 14, 2009
Boston
Ok guys. After 2.5 months, 2 RMA's (last one took 20 days!), about 100 emails to ASUS tech support and repair center, almost 5 hours on phone line, I finally GOT MY DEVICE UNLOCKED!!! I don't know what they were doing to it for 20 days, but I've got it back today and it unlocked on the first try. ASUS knows how to make it work, they just don't want to do it! You should push really hard, and eventually they will give up! Now, it's up to you if it's actually worth the effort...

Edit: One thing I noticed is that WiFi MAC has been changed. S/N is the same.

Lol maybe we all just need to change our mac addresses.

On a separate note, thank you Tien! Hopefully we can FINALLY figure this out. If anyone in here has a TF300 or TF700, please spread the word.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk HD

ZR1000A1

Feb 12, 2010
Lol maybe we all just need to change our mac addresses.

Isn't WiFi module built in to a motherboard? When my TP was RMA'ed for the first time, a motherboard was replaced. Each network card has a unique MAC address. There are no two network cards in the whole world with the same MAC. Now, I wonder, how ASUS replaced a motherboard, but the setting shows the same MAC? Or they lied about a new MB, or the settings do not display the real WiFi MAC address.

nhshah7

Feb 14, 2009
Boston
Guys, it worked it worked it worked!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yippeeeeeeee!

Edit - message from Tien:
"That’s great news! We sent yours over as a test last night, and looks like it worked. Hopefully some more XDA users send me their info before we can send another batch over."

Attachments

• WP_000010.jpg
    WP_000010.jpg
    250.7 KB · Views: 340
Last edited:
Reactions: poofyhairguy

jimgb17

Nov 18, 2010
Hi all I was wondering could we get a possible fix dor the uk I have a prim that I cant unlock after an RMA...
Also my s/n is blank

voeten

Apr 19, 2013
Guys, it worked it worked it worked!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yippeeeeeeee!

Edit - message from Tien:
"That’s great news! We sent yours over as a test last night, and looks like it worked. Hopefully some more XDA users send me their info before we can send another batch over."[/QUOTE

]

What about WW user can we sent info to you tien? :D

Last edited:

richardmlea

Jul 13, 2011
Hi all I was wondering could we get a possible fix dor the uk I have a prim that I cant unlock after an RMA...
Also my s/n is blank

Hi Jim,
I spent half an hour on the phone to ASUS UK customer support on Wednesday. After explaining the problem to the agent (also richard) and that users on here were reporting unlocking success after submitting WiFi and serial numbers to ASUS so the problem could be fixed on the ASUS servers. He then went away to speak to someone else, when he came back he informed me the I could download a unlocking tool off ASUS's website. :laugh::laugh: I then explained it again, slower this time and convinced him to call me back after he had spoken to his colleagues at ASUS support in Holland (as it was a Dutch user that reported the successful unlocking). He then Emailed me this response.

"Dear Mr Lea,
Thank you for contacting the Asus Support team.
In regards to your issue with the boot unlocker you will need to use the support.asus.com site to send the picture required to our support team.
Go to http://support.asus.com/ & click on "Contact us" at the top of the screen.
Click "Technical inquiry form"
Attach the relevant picture to the newly opened window & give a detailed description of the issue in the Problem description box.
enter the verification code & click submit
Please point out in description that you do not require an RMA form.
Regards
Richard
UK Support Hotline: +44 (0) 870 1208 340"

I used the technical enquiry form and send them this.

"[Product Information]
*Product Type : Eee Pad
*Product Model : Eee Pad Transformer Prime TF201
*Product S/N : BCOKAS******
Place of Purchase : currys
*Date of Purchase : 2011/01/11
*Operating System : Android
[Problem Description]
I am unable to unlock the bootloader using the unlocking tool or receive OTA updates because of a previous RMA where the motherboard was changed
I have already had one RMA to attempt to fix this problem (CZB******) but the repair didn't work and still cant unlock.
There are hundreds of owners of the tf201 (217 on xdadevelopers) that cant unlock because of this problem http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=40372037#post40372037
Users of XDA are now reporting that Asus headquarters is now able to fix the problem by updating there servers with the correct information about the tablets hardware so the update tool will work. owners in the Netherlands and USA are now being told by ASUS service (in their corresponding countries) to send a screenshot of the tablets system status screen showing the serial number and the WiFi mac address so the information can be updated on the ASUS server so the unlock tool will work.
I am attaching the screenshot you will need.
Please do not offer me another RMA as this wont fix the problem.
Thanks
Richard Lea"

I am expecting some sort of response from them today (fingers crossed) as they try to respond in 48 hours. *If I don't here from them tomorrow I will email Tein because I don't see why he cant help everyone. I realise he works in the US but if he is just gathering serial/WiFi numbers and passing them on surly he can pass on ours too.

jimgb17

Nov 18, 2010
Hi Jim,
I spent half an hour on the phone to ASUS UK customer support on Wednesday. After explaining the problem to the agent (also richard) and that users on here were reporting unlocking success after submitting WiFi and serial numbers to ASUS so the problem could be fixed on the ASUS servers. He then went away to speak to someone else, when he came back he informed me the I could download a unlocking tool off ASUS's website. :laugh::laugh: I then explained it again, slower this time and convinced him to call me back after he had spoken to his colleagues at ASUS support in Holland (as it was a Dutch user that reported the successful unlocking). He then Emailed me this response.

"Dear Mr Lea,
Thank you for contacting the Asus Support team.
In regards to your issue with the boot unlocker you will need to use the support.asus.com site to send the picture required to our support team.
Go to http://support.asus.com/ & click on "Contact us" at the top of the screen.
Click "Technical inquiry form"
Attach the relevant picture to the newly opened window & give a detailed description of the issue in the Problem description box.
enter the verification code & click submit
Please point out in description that you do not require an RMA form.
Regards
Richard
UK Support Hotline: +44 (0) 870 1208 340"

I used the technical enquiry form and send them this.

"[Product Information]
*Product Type : Eee Pad
*Product Model : Eee Pad Transformer Prime TF201
*Product S/N : BCOKAS******
Place of Purchase : currys
*Date of Purchase : 2011/01/11
*Operating System : Android
[Problem Description]
I am unable to unlock the bootloader using the unlocking tool or receive OTA updates because of a previous RMA where the motherboard was changed
I have already had one RMA to attempt to fix this problem (CZB******) but the repair didn't work and still cant unlock.
There are hundreds of owners of the tf201 (217 on xdadevelopers) that cant unlock because of this problem http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=40372037#post40372037
Users of XDA are now reporting that Asus headquarters is now able to fix the problem by updating there servers with the correct information about the tablets hardware so the update tool will work. owners in the Netherlands and USA are now being told by ASUS service (in their corresponding countries) to send a screenshot of the tablets system status screen showing the serial number and the WiFi mac address so the information can be updated on the ASUS server so the unlock tool will work.
I am attaching the screenshot you will need.
Please do not offer me another RMA as this wont fix the problem.
Thanks
Richard Lea"

I am expecting some sort of response from them today (fingers crossed) as they try to respond in 48 hours. *If I don't here from them tomorrow I will email Tein because I don't see why he cant help everyone. I realise he works in the US but if he is just gathering serial/WiFi numbers and passing them on surly he can pass on ours too.

Cool hope Asus uk gets us sorted I have the serial unknown problem will this effect my tf201 as it looks like the s/n is needed...

poofyhairguy

Feb 19, 2011
Hey everyone, start sending your info over to Tien as he is waiting. Recent response from him:

"As soon as I get some more users signed up, I will send out the information to HQ."

Let's get our Transformers fixed!!

Last edited:

sahilcc7

Feb 26, 2011
My tablet is in RMA for the unknown serial problem. Will be interesting to see whether they fix it or not...

xitrapharlax

Mar 27, 2009
Hobart
Cool hope Asus uk gets us sorted I have the serial unknown problem will this effect my tf201 as it looks like the s/n is needed...

Ive logged support requests very similar to this one a few months ago on a brand new tf300t (Australia). The response was please rma. Lert me know if you have any more luck.
Its a shame the US support isnt there for the rest of us.

nhshah7

Feb 14, 2009
Boston
Ive logged support requests very similar to this one a few months ago on a brand new tf300t (Australia). The response was please rma. Lert me know if you have any more luck.
Its a shame the US support isnt there for the rest of us.

Try again and ask not for an RMA but ask them specifically to send your info to HQ because it is a proven fix for many right now.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk HD

Jesse6749

May 1, 2010
T.B.A
Well I sent my info on my once RMA'd TF201 that was replaced to Tien, it was originally unlocked and now I cannot unlock it and it really stinks. Hopefully he can get Asus to allow us to unlock our tablets again.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    4/18/2013
    After months of waiting, my tablet is FINALLY UNLOCKED! If you are in the US, see this post. Thanks you Tien (Asus_USA)!

Update 9/2013:
    It's back.

It works

Sooooooo people, contact ASUS Support about your device tracker not working! They will give you support on that, and because it has the same problem causing it, it will fix the unlock issue!

Hi all, I decided to finally take the dive a couple days ago to unlock my beloved prime and try out androwook and other custom roms that supposedly put stock to shame. However, I was unfortunately confronted by a crude and nasty message along the lines of:

Code:
    An unknown error occurs, which may be a network connection issue. 
    Please wait and try again later

As usual, I unrooted, rebooted, and tried again. No luck.
    I disabled and uninstalled ATP Tweak (sio scheduler/systune), replaced my modified dock keyboard files (browser mod, switched alt/search buttons), and tried again. No luck.
    Factory reset from the settings menu. No luck.
    Placed the .28 US update on my SD card, rebooted, and re-flashed the update. No luck.

Where does that leave me now? Locked and feeling imprisoned. I'm wondering if it is worth it to downgrade and try unlocking. So far, I have only seen one person have any success with this. Due to the potential brick risk, I want to stay away from this unless I know it will work. I also know that Asus asked for the MAC address of a prime owner with this issue, but that didn't go anywhere.

This seems like it may be an issue that is experienced by anyone that RMA'ed their tablet for whatever reason. I, personally, sent mine in for a green camera issue and mura, but do not think that they changed my motherboard.

I am also curious to see how many other people are having this issue. If it is sizable, I am willing to start a petition to Asus for them to support their unlock tool and fix this stupid error without an RMA. To that effect, please answer the poll above to let me gather some data on the unlock tool.

Thanks to everyone for your help and support that makes xda such an amazing community!

PS I don't want to see any "Asus sucks" posts. There are tons of other threads for that so please spare us :)

Additional info:
    Have tried this on several different network connections.
    Have not yet contacted Asus to see if they have my prime listed as "unlocked" already, but will do so sometime this week.
    Logcat of running unlock tool results in this:
    Code:
    D/KeyBoxService(10158): === StatusCode: SC_UNAUTHORIZED!

D/KeyBoxService(10158): === OTA BEGIN

E/KeyBoxService(10158): === Connection to http://wvdrm.asus.com refused

D/KeyBoxService(10158): === Retry after 600 seconds.

D/KeyBoxService(10158): === OTA END

July 13th Update:

I have contacted Asus with this information. I learned something interesting. Asus has my tablet (s/n) listed as LOCKED. They also did not replace my mainboard when I RMA'ed the tablet. I also have not had the unknown serial number issue. Considering those were the 3 criteria a few of us had considered to be the reasons for not being able to unlock, I am now baffled.

I am going to continue communicating with Asus and hopefully push the matter a little bit more so that something happens. As I was told, "HQ is probably aware and working towards a fix". Let's hope that happens sooner rather than later.

September 5th update:
    Seems that Asus HQ figured out a fix, but it requires an RMA. We'll find out soon if it actually works...

September 29th update:
    Some of the members in this thread have sent their primes in for an RMA to fix the issue. The first prime back STILL has the problem. Asus HQ is looking into the matter...again...
    Hey Everyone!

I haven't been on here in a while, but I'm back!

For those who are in the US, have had their Primes RMAed, and can still not get the device to unlock, I am going to see if I can help. Please shoot me an e-mail at cl-tien@asus.com. Use the e-mail address as I rarely check the PMs here. In the e-mail, please include:

Name:
    Previous RMA #s:
    Device Serial Number:
    MAC Address from the "about tablet" screen in the Settings:

A screen shot of the About Tablet screen would be OK too; just make sure to send as an attachment.

I am going to gather up some affected users and submit them to HQ. Hopefully, we can get some answers and some solutions soon. No promises as of right now, but we at the US office would like to get this resolved.

Many thanks to nhshah7 for keeping me informed regarding this possible solution from HQ.
    I cannot speak for other countries or regions, but if you are located in the US or Canada, our facilities do have a fix for the unlock error. However, as Mason said, it does require that you send it in for RMA.

The call center and technical support might not be aware, but our technicians already know the procedure on how to fix it. I apologize to all of those who have tried to get an RMA for this through the call center. They are instructed not to assist with issues regarding unlocking device - as we all are. However, we understand that this is a special issue, and have set-up a repair process for the affected tablets.

I apologize for the wait and would like to thank those who were patient while we got to the bottom of the issue, and devised a fix for it. If you are having a hard time with getting an RMA from the call center, please shoot me an e-mail to this inbox: cl-tien@asus.com and I will be happy to help arrange the RMA for you. Again, I can only assist those located in the US and Canada.

Tien
    Just an update to dev/analysis that I'm currently working on.

A simple check of all the various releases that ASUS have done shows that the EBT partition (bootloader) have had various changes made to them in the past. For example, .17 and below will not show the "bootloader is unlocked" message whilst on boot, versions prior to the ICS release does not have the unlock alogrithm, etc.

Rumor has it that the JB version of the TF300 have fastboot enabled, thus this might be of some help for us in the future, yet at the current moment, it helps us none.

Anyhow, back to topic. Since there's been various changes in the bootloader itself, there may be a slight chance that ASUS left out one of the signature checks in one of the bootloader versions. Thus one angle that we could go is to keep trying different bootloaders and checking to see either if the blob signature check is in effect or if the AES engine has been disabled properly in the bootloader. If the blob signature check has been let out, then we would theoretically be able to flash a modified bootloader to bypass the various checks that happen in the bootloader. The AES engine part, if we can verify if it has forgotten to be disabled, we would be able to generate the NVflash files needed for wheelie, and we'd have more avenues to try.

The other angle that I'm currently looking at is somehow figuring out the private key for RSA signature. I've looked into RSA signatures, and theoretically it is pretty much impossible to crack, specially in the case of RSA encryption. In RSA, the public key is used to encrypt, the private key is used to decrypt. In the case of RSA signatures, the private key is used to "decrypt" a string, usually the sha1 hash of the file needed to be signed. Then the public key is used to "encrypt" this signature, and compare the result with the hash of the file we want to check.

Since we have various files from ASUS that have signatures, we have the "decrypted" strings which are the signatures, and the "encrypted" strings which would probably be the hash file checksums of the various blobs.

In order to determine this logic, we need a few things. 1. we need to disassemble the bootloader binary file to determine whether it is in fact the sha file checksum that is being used as the string. 2. we need to disassemble the bootloader to get hold of the public key that is being used. I've tried the certificate in the zip files, however these appear to be a different certificate than the one that is being used for blob checking.

I'm currently working mostly on a way to figure out the private key exponent that is being used to decrypt the strings. This is a very complex task, and possibly impossible, however having various combinations of signatures and strings should help. Once the signature can be figured out, we'd be able to sign the modified bootloader and load that into the system, effectively giving us an unlocked bootloader.

The only problem is, I have not experience with disassembly of the bootloader binary. I believe I need a linux box with the arm toolchain installed at the least. On the other hand if any devs here already have disassembled the bootloader binary (for example android.root mobi team), then it would help in speeding things up.
    News!

If you can get me the serial number of your tablet along with the WiFi’s MAC address then HQ can use that to check the server conditions. You might want to collect the S/N and WiFi MAC of several people from the forum but at least if we have your S/N and WiFi MAC, I can have HQ check to see why you aren’t able to unlock the unit.

Ok, so I might create a google doc and have you guys put the information so I can send it to them. Would you be ok with this? Or do you want to PM me instead?

edit: here it is

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AnAJoa0-ynONdEYxU1lhRVk3eGN2UWxOMU1aSG1hc3c