HTC One - mini review... feels dated :-\

Search This thread

g1bJ1

Jan 29, 2011
Finally got some play time on the HTC One, and coming from a Nexus 4, the One felt dated to me. :( The Sense UI just kills the One. I didn't realize how modern Jellybean 4.2.2 feels compared to Sense until I spent time with them side by side. The One's hardware fit and finish are nice but I can't say it feels any more premium than the Nexus 4. In my hands, the Nexus glass body feels more comfortable than the aluminum on the One. Speedtest results (LTE) were little below average compared to other devices I tested but not dismal.

The One has some nice features (1080p, IR remote, dual front speakers, NFC, LTE) and if it can be flashed with stock Jellybean while keeping those features working, it would be so much better.

Just wanted to share a few thoughts about the One. I went in to buy the One but came back with a renewed appreciation for the Nexus.

Last edited:
Reactions: eallan and Bagbug

john291

Feb 10, 2010
Finally got some play time on the HTC One, and coming from a Nexus 4, the One felt dated to me. :( The Sense UI just kills the One. I didn't realize how modern Jellybean 4.2.2 feels compared to Sense until I spent time with them side by side. The One's hardware fit and finish are nice but I can't say it feels any more premium than the Nexus 4. In my hands, the Nexus glass body feels more comfortable than the aluminum on the One. Speedtest results (LTE) were little below average compared to other devices I tested but not dismal.

The One has some features (IR remote, dual front speakers, NFC, LTE) and if it can be flashed with stock Jellybean while keeping those features working, it would be so much better.

Just wanted to share a few thoughts about the One. I went in to buy the One but came back with a renewed appreciation for the Nexus.

sell your phone please to us....;)

jmitr

May 18, 2008
Castlegar
I went in to buy a new IPhone after coming from an Iphone and.........

One of the great things about Android is choice. We have Nexus devices, Sense, Touchwiz, and lots of launchers and skins.....gotta Love it. Rubin and Duarte are fans of skins and overlays as well. El goog even praised Facebook home as an example of what is possible with open source.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk HD

g1bJ1

Jan 29, 2011
Choices are great to have, I agree. I loved my OG HTC EVO which had an older version of Sense. But with the improvements Google has made with stock Android, Sense didn't seem that great to me. For example, the stock icon layouts didn't take advantage of the nice 1080 resolution display, only 3 icons across with huge gaps between them.

Anyhow I'm just sharing my initial impression of the HTC One. After reading all the glorious reviews of the One I had higher expectations.

jah

The One has some nice features (1080p, IR remote, dual front speakers, NFC, LTE) and if it can be flashed with stock Jellybean while keeping those features working, it would be so much better.

Don't agree.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda premium

pnnorth

Dec 18, 2010
The bloke is perfectly entitled to express his personal opinion and I'm in total agreement about his views on sense vs stock - that's just my preference.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

godutch

Jun 29, 2009
www.burgerforumeu.nl

I buy HTC devices because of Sense. If the One came without sense I would have bought the S4. I have tried AOSP roms but I come screaming back to sense within minutes, they are just too limited, too spartan.

Terminator19

Mar 13, 2011
Stock android is so highly over rated it is unreal.

The only main thing that I love about it, is the stock android theme. Less amount of apps preinstalled is a bonus too

For me sense is superior to stock for these reasons:

- the apps kick ass especially the camera (zoe, more options and filter effects to choose from and a nicer, more functional UI), gallery (live tiles/thumbnails plus other wee things like being able to take a photo of a moment in video playback and even more effects) and browser app (text reflow when you pinch to zoom and double tap, modified quick thumb controls that are pure win, flash player, fast and smooth and most importantly it renders text and web sites correctly)

- unified feel, no skin can match sense in this area (aside from possibly motorola's newest skin), everything feels unified throughout, same colour scheme and same layout unlike stock; dialer has the black/blue theme, SMS and calendar etc. has the white theme, play music has a blue theme, clock has a grey theme, the menu button placement is either on the bottom or the top and then the settings menu has a holo theme throughout, minor things but damn annoying for me

If you really want stock android look without having to root, you can install the following:

stock android keyboard
stock Alarm clock
Stock SMS app
Dialer with this theme
Stock calendar
stock camera & Gallery
Nova launcher prime with the built in stock android icons
Lock screen (can get the stock lock screen theme/UI)
Stock (CM10) calculator
Multi-tasking window

And disable whatever you don't like about sense through the app settings.

AndrewAmazed

Jun 26, 2010
Southern California

The only main thing that I love about it, is the stock android theme. Less amount of apps preinstalled is a bonus too

- the apps kick ass especially the camera (zoe, more options and filter effects to choose from and a nicer, more functional UI), gallery (live tiles/thumbnails plus other wee things like being able to take a photo of a moment in video playback and even more effects) and browser app (text reflow when you pinch to zoom and double tap, modified quick thumb controls that are pure win, flash player, fast and smooth and most importantly it renders text and web sites correctly)

- unified feel, no skin can match sense in this area (aside from possibly motorola's newest skin), everything feels unified throughout, same colour scheme and same layout unlike stock; dialer has the black/blue theme, SMS and calendar etc. has the white theme, play music has a blue theme, clock has a grey theme, the menu button placement is either on the bottom or the top and then the settings menu has a holo theme throughout, minor things but damn annoying for me

It really is a personal preference and so he should be able to express his own opinion thus I don't really understand why people are bashing him. It's not like the Nexus 4 is a iphone3gs or something. I feel like his opinion is reasonable. I have always liked how sense has looked and felt (smoothness scrolling compared to stock android) and all that but it definitely is something you have to get used to. I definitely prefer sense over that samsung junk they call touchwiz and all that but stock is nice! although yes it might be a little overrated, it's still nice! But I have to agree with on that three icon thing... it just doesn't really make sense. I'm not really feeling the menus but I will have to wait til I actually get the phone, whenever the preorder fiasco finally works out..
Anyways, to each their own.

Reactions: razer1224

aydc

Jul 31, 2006
Yeah stock android is great. That's why there are hundreds of replacements in Play Store for every single element of it.

c0rrupt

Jan 9, 2009
San Antonio, TX
I sort of agree with his post. Just picked up my One this morning and it feels dated even compared to my HTC Evo 3D in terms of UI. It seems to be less customizable than my EVO 3D running stock sense for some reason. It seems like HTC is going with Microsoft "simple is better" approach.

I already miss the physical settings button my EVO 3D had. I also don't like how the power/volume buttons are flush with the body. The buttons should protrude a bit imo... but I suppose these are things I'll get used to it in time.

A problem I've been noticing so far is I'm losing home screen settings. For example I add all 5 home screens to expand the default 3, arranged my icons, widgets etc. This is now the second time where it randomly gets reset and I've lost settings. Now I have to go back and add the additional home screens/apps/widgets etc.

When I finished setting up the phone, storage use already showed 9GB out of 32GB before I even transferred my data (apps/music/photos/etc). Why is it using 9GB of storage out of the box?

Terminator19

Mar 13, 2011
@AndrewAmazed

Yup, all personal preference the software, just to clear things up, I wasn't bashing his opinion at all :), just stating that I think stock is highly over rated, I always see people saying things like "stock android is 100 times better than everything", "never buying a non-nexus device again", review sites much preferring it to the OEM skins etc. it is good but it isn't "that" good imo.

Indeed, touchwiz is just awful, nice features etc. but everything else is a joke, completely disjointed feel throughout, horrible colour scheme, overall it just feels like a 10 year old has designed it.

All HTC need to do imo is go with a nice holo/dark theme instead of mostly white and drop some of the pointless apps, widgets.

All google need to do is sort the unified feel out (most people have already done this here for them) and add more features/options plus bring the old browser back! chrome is trash imo.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Go home, you're drunk.

Sent from my M7 using xda premium
    So LG is paying people to come on sites and say this stuff now too?

Sent from my HTC One X using xda premium

If you really want stock android look without having to root, you can install the following:

stock android keyboard
    stock Alarm clock
    Stock SMS app
    Dialer with this theme
    Stock calendar
    stock camera & Gallery
    Nova launcher prime with the built in stock android icons
    Lock screen (can get the stock lock screen theme/UI)
    Stock (CM10) calculator
    Multi-tasking window

And disable whatever you don't like about sense through the app settings.
    Clearly they haven't failed because pretty much every review site (even the diehard stock lovers) has actually ended up loving the new sense:

android police:

I really, really like it. It's hard to articulate in a couple sentences why, but I'll just say this: HTC's gone through it with a fine-toothed comb - the level of attention to detail / smoothness is impressive. It's also just a refreshing take on Android, something no other UI overlay really offers right now.

anandtech:

The combination of that pivot bar UI pattern, Roboto Condensed, as well as overall flat design, really make Sense 5 feel the most like Android 4.x of the skins I’ve seen in this last cycle or two. I have been using Sense 5 for a while now and don’t have a problem with it, in fact, it’s just about the cleanest and most sensible skin I’ve seen on Android to date.

technobuffalo:

Sense 5 is awesome and is generally a joy to use.

gsmarena:

There's a lot to like about Sense 5 too. The whole OS has been reworked from the ground up. Not only has every icon been refreshed, but the way you use Android has been rethought. Unlike Samsung, who aim to throw as many software features as possible in their handsets , HTC is looking to set itself apart and win you over with simplicity, character and charm.

and you can go and read pretty much every other in depth look at sense V5 i.e. gizmodo, slashgear, especially when it comes to the camera, gallery and browser apps, not to mention blinkfeed (a lot of sites actually like this, I don't though) and the TV app.

Fair enough if you and others don't like the skin, but to say that HTC have failed and that sense V5 is half baked is just completely wrong.