Weather Station app uses the 3 fancy sensors of the S4

Search This thread
I made this post on the AT&T S4 section, but thought you guys would be interested in it too! There's also a post about this app in the international S4 Themes and Apps section, but I decided to make a new one here with my findings on the Weather Station app that utilizes the thermometer, barometer, and hygrometer sensors found in the S4. Enjoy....

I was showing off the device the other day and remembered that it had those sensors, so I quickly searched for this app, downloaded it, and had to keep reminding the people I was with that this wasn't network data it was polling, it was actual sensor data found right from the device! Pretty cool stuff.... it gets better though!

I have a pretty awesome desktop weather station that displays indoor and outdoor temp and relative humidity, and decided to compare findings - obviously, I'm not trying to claim that either one is 100% accurate, just wanted to compare between the two. Here are my results:

attachment.php

Note the labels above and below the desktop weather station to designate the outdoor and indoor sensors (there is a physical, wireless sensor outside the house that transmits the temp and RH to this station, so this too doesn't poll network data just like the S4 does not). While holding it for a few seconds to get a good, focused shot with my point-and-shoot Samsung CL65, the temp went up on the S4, pictured left, with the Weather Station app running, giving me temp, pressure, and relative humidity in my preferred units of measure. Pretty good, huh?

If you're wondering, yes, I live in FL, and yes, outdoor RH is always crazy high! By the way.... How crazy is it that my PHONE has more sensors than this singular purpose desktop weather station? If you're looking for the best place to get this desktop weather station I have, try Sam's Club.

kyhassen

Sep 23, 2010
New Hampshire
I too want to say thank you. I havnt really played with it yet. But my friend has like 50 digital and non-digital thermometers lol i will test it at his house haha., Either way this is a pretty sweet way to use the phone.

FanOfSkynyrd

Mar 15, 2011
Thx for posting this...as a weather forecaster by trade I think its awesome this phone has a sensor that measures temp and pressure.

Something I will for sure brag about to my co-workers who are iphone users.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using xda app-developers app

Jonathanlc2005

Aug 15, 2007
Ive be3n using it since day 1.... its light and functional :)

Sent from my SPH-L720 using xda app-developers app

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I made this post on the AT&T S4 section, but thought you guys would be interested in it too! There's also a post about this app in the international S4 Themes and Apps section, but I decided to make a new one here with my findings on the Weather Station app that utilizes the thermometer, barometer, and hygrometer sensors found in the S4. Enjoy....

I was showing off the device the other day and remembered that it had those sensors, so I quickly searched for this app, downloaded it, and had to keep reminding the people I was with that this wasn't network data it was polling, it was actual sensor data found right from the device! Pretty cool stuff.... it gets better though!

I have a pretty awesome desktop weather station that displays indoor and outdoor temp and relative humidity, and decided to compare findings - obviously, I'm not trying to claim that either one is 100% accurate, just wanted to compare between the two. Here are my results:

attachment.php

Note the labels above and below the desktop weather station to designate the outdoor and indoor sensors (there is a physical, wireless sensor outside the house that transmits the temp and RH to this station, so this too doesn't poll network data just like the S4 does not). While holding it for a few seconds to get a good, focused shot with my point-and-shoot Samsung CL65, the temp went up on the S4, pictured left, with the Weather Station app running, giving me temp, pressure, and relative humidity in my preferred units of measure. Pretty good, huh?

If you're wondering, yes, I live in FL, and yes, outdoor RH is always crazy high! By the way.... How crazy is it that my PHONE has more sensors than this singular purpose desktop weather station? If you're looking for the best place to get this desktop weather station I have, try Sam's Club.