The Padfone Infinity Thread

Search This thread

jcracken

Oct 5, 2011
Litchfield Park
For those who haven't bought it but want to, you should wait until Computex. ASUS hinted that they might announce a US edition there.

Sent from my HTC One using xda app-developers app

NZtechfreak

Sep 5, 2008
Hello!

Great thread. Just ordered my Padfone Infinity and am waiting for it. Will have to wait at least another two weeks. Please tell me more about it, general impressions etc as I am very nervous to wait for the phone.

It lacks USB audio, which is regretably a big deal for me, but that aside it is my favourite amongst the present Android flagships (I have an Xperia Z, S4 i9500 and had the i9505 and also have an HTC One).

cturbos

Dec 13, 2008
The white on the screen of the infinity is better than the s4,it is grayish white on the s4.I've had it with me for a month now and the only thing i don't like about it is root not available yet.It was suppose to be a 4.2 jellybean when it was announced but came with 4.1.2.

ax3339

May 30, 2013
I have just brought the Padfone infinity for a few day .It work smoothly and fast.But sometime the phone became crazy,both side can't hear each other while it was connectted.:)(
And I found that it can be a perfect warmer in winter.

orenxda

Dec 30, 2009
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra
Size difference compared with SONY Xperia Z:

1369992552_1553_FT9505_p1130165.jpg

Slight, but no more soft buttons :)

NZtechfreak

Sep 5, 2008
I've got root rights in one click by this http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2130276

Sent from my PadFone Infinity using xda premium

Cheers! I hadn't yet tried that one, which exploit did you use within it?

EDIT: Nevermind, Gandalf exploit worked for me second time.

[UPDATE] Immediately after obtaining Root I was notified of a brand new firmware update for the Padfone Infinity, just wanted to let you know that OTA Rootkeeper from the Play Store will allow you to backup and then restore Root after applying the update. Oh, and the update isn't 4.2, in case you were wondering.

Last edited:

cturbos

Dec 13, 2008

[UPDATE] Immediately after obtaining Root I was notified of a brand new firmware update for the Padfone Infinity, just wanted to let you know that OTA Rootkeeper from the Play Store will allow you to backup and then restore Root after applying the update. Oh, and the update isn't 4.2, in case you were wondering.

I can confirm root on my ASUS PADFONE INFINITY with the above exploit.:good::good::good::good:

Reactions: tedbacc

indigo888

Dec 20, 2011
Moscow
Here is my first crash test foto
The device has been dropped from about 1,5 meters to the stone floor.Display is not damaged.Crash test has gone :thumbup:

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1370110728388.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1370110728388.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 317

indigo888

Dec 20, 2011
Moscow
It's impossible.I've got root on it after manual update.Choose install SuperSu in framaroot.
Have you tried Gandalf twice after it?

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1370340905567.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1370340905567.jpg
    142.6 KB · Views: 309
  • uploadfromtaptalk1370340947827.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1370340947827.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 297
Last edited:

320i24vv

May 27, 2013
padfone infinity opinions

Hello guys! Padfone has arrived, very excited, setup complete, all is well and wonderful.

I have noticed that I can have one wallpaper and icon arrangement in phone mode and when the phone will be docked in tablet mode the wallpaper, icon arrangement,etc, everything changes.

I will kindly ask you to please tell me if I will be able to use the standard launcher that Asus supplied with the phone and when I will put the phone in the tablet to have a different launcher selected with a more tablet style custom design.

If yes, how will I be able to do this?

Thank you very much, guys. Will be waiting for your feedback. :fingers-crossed:

orenxda

Dec 30, 2009
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra
standard launcher that Asus supplied with the phone and when I will put the phone in the tablet to have a different launcher selected with a more tablet style custom design. If yes, how will I be able to do this?:
Welcome!
If I understand you right, of course you can use the Asus launcher in phone mode, and manually use another one when docked, having more row/columns...
I didn't set an "always" one, so the only annoying thing is I have to select a "this time only" one when I press home button.
You will find all Asus widgets working OK on other launchers.

320i24vv

May 27, 2013
Help?

Welcome!
If I understand you right, of course you can use the Asus launcher in phone mode, and manually use another one when docked, having more row/columns...
I didn't set an "always" one, so the only annoying thing is I have to select a "this time only" one when I press home button.
You will find all Asus widgets working OK on other launchers.

Hello! Thank you for your reply. I will try this feature to see if it works how I want it to.
Unfortunately I cannot understand why since I have switched to the Padfone the antivirus (kaspersky) and the battery percentage widget (from the status bar) dissapear.

Both kaspersky and the widget should stay always ON in the status bar and they stay there.....for a while....and then they vanish....:rolleyes:

Has anybody got a clue?

Update

The apps (Whatsapp, antivirus, etc) are ON for a while and then they time-out or something. Whatsapp says it has not received a single message and when you enter the program you have 30+ lines unread, antivirus closes after a while and needs to be restarted, etc ; Soundcloud no longer receives notifications, etc... And everything happens after a "time-out period" if I can call it that. My guess was some power saving option, but I have disabled the smart battery saving option from the status bar and no help there.

Thank you!
Kind regards!

Last edited:

cturbos

Dec 13, 2008
Hello! Thank you for your reply. I will try this feature to see if it works how I want it to.
Unfortunately I cannot understand why since I have switched to the Padfone the antivirus (kaspersky) and the battery percentage widget (from the status bar) dissapear.

Both kaspersky and the widget should stay always ON in the status bar and they stay there.....for a while....and then they vanish....:rolleyes:

Has anybody got a clue?

Update

The apps (Whatsapp, antivirus, etc) are ON for a while and then they time-out or something. Whatsapp says it has not received a single message and when you enter the program you have 30+ lines unread, antivirus closes after a while and needs to be restarted, etc ; Soundcloud no longer receives notifications, etc... And everything happens after a "time-out period" if I can call it that. My guess was some power saving option, but I have disabled the smart battery saving option from the status bar and no help there.

Thank you!
Kind regards!

Hello
I have the same issue with notifications always delayed,I have the PF2 next to my PFI always get the emails and other messages on the PF2 alot faster.Maybe it is a sleep mode thing.

Spinstorm

Jul 17, 2008
Can anyone with an Infinity in a 4G area with a 4G SIM confirm to me that they have the LTE/GSM/CDMA AUTO option in network settings as I don't have it on my infinity and so can't connect to 4G and I'm trying to work out if I have a faulty phone or its something else?

ajamils

Sep 10, 2010
Houston, TX
Is anyone using Infinity with At&T, if so how is the reception and data network? I know that it does not support LTE but does it work with AT&T 4G?

Also, what's the best place to order one in USA?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

CharlesW123

Sep 19, 2008
Sheffield, UK
Yes I have that option

Can anyone with an Infinity in a 4G area with a 4G SIM confirm to me that they have the LTE/GSM/CDMA AUTO option in network settings as I don't have it on my infinity and so can't connect to 4G and I'm trying to work out if I have a faulty phone or its something else?

Hi, yes that option is available for me. Am in the UK and have a Three mobile sim in, there 4G/LTE not enabled yet but the default option under Settings > More.. > Mobile Networks > Network Mode is 'LTE/GSM/WCDMA auto'. My phone's been set to that from the start and I get really good speeds on Three's network, seen around 19mbps down, 12 mbps up here, so 4G best be good when it arrives or I'll not notice the difference :p

SAman1

Apr 26, 2008
Got mine over the weekend. Phone is very nice and outdoor visibility is good compared to my previous phones.
Tablet is ok, but seems a bit delayed when typing on the on-screen keyboard. Tablet is a uncomfortable to hold at times due to the sharp edge.

radibg2

Jul 7, 2012
Is it posible to connect a dock keyboard(for example asus transformer pad tf300t) to Asus Padfone Infinity with adapter, or usb cable?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I've got root rights in one click by this http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2130276

On the eve of getting my Padfone Infinity I thought I would start a thread so that users can chat about their experiences with the device and so forth.

So, who else is getting one?

UPDATE: Have the Padfone now. First impressions VERY favourable.

USB OTG testing notes:
    USB drives working, including NTFS (first phone besides the Huawei D1 Quad XL to have that). PS3 AND Xbox controllers working out of the box. USB keyboards and mice working - best implementation yet on an Android phone with options for mouse pointer speed and ability to map the mouse buttons to a few different options. USB audio broken, which for me is incredibly disappointing. There is somewhat of a workaround in that USB audio does work with the app USB Audio Recorder Pro, but it is fairly horrible to use as a music player since its real purpose is to allow recording with a microphone.

Oh, and got a second (small) firmware update today...
    Finally, I hv got a way to use Nova Launcher or any other launcher with ASUS DynamicDisplay support.

1.First for manually switching.
    I only want the desktop display to be 5x8 and the drawer 5x7.
    Make a copy of /data/data/com.teslacoilsw.launcher/shared_prefs/com.teslacoilsw.launcher_preferences.xml and name it com.teslacoilsw.launcher_preferences_last.xml.
    Then write a script. Maybe SManager can give great help as it has a small widget to quickly run a script.
    -------------------I name the script PhonePad_Switch-----------------------------
    #!/system/bin/sh
    mv /data/data/com.teslacoilsw.launcher/shared_prefs/com.teslacoilsw.launcher_preferences.xml /data/data/com.teslacoilsw.launcher/shared_prefs/com.teslacoilsw.launcher_preferences_temp.xml
    mv /data/data/com.teslacoilsw.launcher/shared_prefs/com.teslacoilsw.launcher_preferences_last.xml /data/data/com.teslacoilsw.launcher/shared_prefs/com.teslacoilsw.launcher_preferences.xml
    mv /data/data/com.teslacoilsw.launcher/shared_prefs/com.teslacoilsw.launcher_preferences_temp.xml /data/data/com.teslacoilsw.launcher/shared_prefs/com.teslacoilsw.launcher_preferences_last.xml
    killall -HUP com.teslacoilsw.launcher
    ------------------------------------------------------
    When your phone powers on, do some settings to make nova fit your phone. Then switch to your pad and run this script,do some settings to make it fit for you pad. Now when you switch to your phone or pad, just run this script once manually, the Launcher works well for each.

2.User tasker to switch automatically
    though tasker has a state named "docked", it doesn't work with PFI. How I identify the state is using rotation state.
    I creat four profiles. Landscape, When Landscape, Portrait, When Portrait.

this file:/sys/devices/i2c-0/0-0015/dock_hallsensor_status,when docked it is "1” and not docked it is “0”.
    and I need an extra file to save the status of pfi now. eg. /sdcard/pfi, it is "0" or "1", 0 for phone and 1 for pad.

profle Landscape: Actived when Diskplay Orientation Landscape.
    -------Tasks for it:--------
    1.Read file /sys/devices/i2c-0/0-0015/dock_hallsensor_status to Var %docked
    2.Read file /sdcard/pfi to Var %docked_s
    3.If %docked=1
    ..4.run shell script PhonePad_Switch if %docked_s=0
    ..5.wirte %docked to file /sdcard/pfi
    ------------------------------
    the 3 and 4 confirm that you insert your phone to your pad. and 5 updates the status of pfi to pad.

profile When Landscape: Actived when "Profile Active Landscape"
    ------Tasks for it:--------
    1.Profile Status Name Landscape Set Off
    2.Profile Status Name Portrait Set On

profile Portrait
    -------Tasks for it:--------
    1.Read file /sys/devices/i2c-0/0-0015/dock_hallsensor_status to Var %docked
    2.Read file /sdcard/pfi to Var %docked_s
    3.If %docked=0
    ..4.run shell script PhonePad_Switch if %docked_s=1
    ..5. wirte %docked to file /sdcard/pfi

profile When Portrait : Actived when "Profile Active Portrait "
    ------Tasks for it:--------
    1.Profile Status Name Portrait Set Off
    2.Profile Status Name Landscape Set On

it works well on my pfi. When it goes wrong, just run the script manually once.
    You can also change the script to make it fit any launcher like "http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1106545&page=210" that makes two profiles for one app, one for Phone ,one for Pad.

at last, sorry for my poor English and thx for reading. In fact, I only provide a way to let tasker know whether your pfi is Phone state or Pad state.

I'm looking for root as well.. Any idea on how to start looking for root possibilities? Never even looked at how to find a way to root a device. Maybe we could try to help each other find a way to root it?

---------- Post added at 03:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:11 PM ----------

Concerning root, I found this:
    Android rooting
    Android rooting is the process of allowing users of smartphones, tablets, and other devices running the Android mobile operating system to attain privileged control (known as "root access") within Android's subsystem.
    Rooting is often performed with the goal of overcoming limitations that carriers and hardware manufacturers put on some devices, resulting in the ability to alter or replace system applications and settings, run specialized apps that require administrator-level permissions, or perform other operations that are otherwise inaccessible to a normal Android user. On Android, rooting can also facilitate the complete removal and replacement of the device's operating system, usually with a more recent release of its current operating system.
    As Android was derived from the Linux kernel, rooting an Android device is similar in practice to accessing administrative permissions on Linux or any other Unix-like operating system such as FreeBSD or OS X.

The process of rooting varies widely by device, but usually includes exploiting a security weakness in the firmware of the device, and then copying the su binary to a location in the current process's PATH (e.g. /system/xbin/su) and granting it executable permissions with the chmod command. A supervisor application like SuperUser or SuperSU can regulate and log elevated permission requests from other applications. Many guides, tutorials, and automatic processes exist for popular Android devices facilitating a fast and easy rooting process.
    For example, shortly after the HTC Dream was released, it was quickly discovered that anything typed using the keyboard was being interpreted as a command in a privileged (root) shell. Although Google quickly released a patch to fix this, a signed image of the old firmware leaked, which gave users the ability to downgrade and use the original exploit to gain root access. Once an exploit is discovered, a custom recovery image that skips the digital signature check of a firmware update package can be flashed. In turn, using the custom recovery, a modified firmware update can be installed that typically includes the utilities (for example the Superuser app) needed to run apps as root.
    The Google-branded Android phones, the Nexus One, Nexus S, Galaxy Nexus and Nexus 4, as well as their tablet counter parts, the Nexus 7 and Nexus 10, can be boot-loader unlocked by simply connecting the device to a computer while in boot-loader mode and running the Fastboot program with the command "fastboot oem unlock". After accepting a warning the boot-loader will be unlocked so that a new system image can be written directly to flash without the need for an exploit.
    Recently, Motorola, LG Electronics and HTC have added security features to their devices at the hardware level in an attempt to prevent retail Android devices from being rooted.[citation needed] For instance, the Motorola Droid X has a security boot-loader that will put the phone in "recovery mode" if unsigned firmware is loaded onto the device, and the Samsung Galaxy S II will display a yellow triangle indicator if the device firmware has been modified.

I have ordered my Infinity today so I'll get it in a few days and I also don't really have any Linux experience. Hopefully someone else with an Infinity does? I do have some OOP experience with Java and C#. Would be great if anyone wants to team up for a bit to figure this out.