Otterbox Commuter or Cygnett Workmate Evolution?

Search This thread

Bradden1

Dec 20, 2011
Google Pixel 6
Hi

I'm just looking for some advice.

I'm using a Spigen Slim Armour currently and whilst I love the case I find it's a little bit slippery and the lip on the front is a little too shallow for my liking.

I cant decide whether to get an Otterbox Commuter or Cygnett Workmate. I've never owned cases from either but Otterbox is a brand name I recognise.

I like the workmates protection --- the drop test is convincing but there are reports about the charging port being too small.

The otterbox looks like it might be a bit slippery and may not offer the same protection.

Any advice welcome!

Last edited:

m.garz

Aug 15, 2010
Im using an Otterbox Commuter right now, it's not that slippery though but kinda bulky compared to Spigen..

Sent from my GT-I9505 using xda app-developers app

Bradden1

Dec 20, 2011
Google Pixel 6
Im using an Otterbox Commuter right now, it's not that slippery though but kinda bulky compared to Spigen..

Sent from my GT-I9505 using xda app-developers app

Thanks I happy with a bit of extra bulk for the extra protection. The spigen is very stylish but I'm not sure how well it will strand up to being dropped.. and it's pretty slippery!!

ThugosaurusRex

Apr 4, 2013
If I were you I'd go with the workmate. But I personally use the UAG navigator case.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using xda app-developers app

Reactions: Bradden1

Bradden1

Dec 20, 2011
Google Pixel 6
I realised I wrote defender..I meant the commuter case. The defender is just too heavy duty for me.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using xda premium

FanOfSkynyrd

Mar 15, 2011
I currently use an otterbox commuter. I think for the protection it offers it's not that bulky.

It still easily fits in the breast pocket of my military uniform without being all that noticeable.

Plus otterbox has awesome customer service and warranty. I've gotten several brand new cases from them over the years when port covers broke off or if I had other issues with the case.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using xda app-developers app

Figsalan101

Apr 22, 2013
Just got the Cygnett Workmate Evolution today. It's a bit bulky but I dont mind because it's going to protect the phone. One thing that I just noticed and you also pointed it out was the phone charger wouldn't go in and it's true. I'm using the stock charger that came with my phone. I'm probably going to get a new charger or return the case.

Mr. bird

Mar 29, 2012
I have the commuter and I love it.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using xda app-developers app

Bradden1

Dec 20, 2011
Google Pixel 6
Just got the Cygnett Workmate Evolution today. It's a bit bulky but I dont mind because it's going to protect the phone. One thing that I just noticed and you also pointed it out was the phone charger wouldn't go in and it's true. I'm using the stock charger that came with my phone. I'm probably going to get a new charger or return the case.

Thanks.. I'm sorry it doesn't fit. I think I read on xda that they were changing the design.

h3lluvaninjuhneer

Jul 21, 2012
Louisville, KY
Thanks.. I'm sorry it doesn't fit. I think I read on xda that they were changing the design.

No need to worry. Yes, the charging port is too small (narrow) for the stock S4 charger, but one sharp knife and five minutes later... problem solved.

I received my Workmate Evolution earlier this week, and got my S4 this morning. Sure enough, the charging port was too narrow. I took a sharp knife and raked it across the upper and lower surfaces of the case's port, holding the blade at a 90° angle to the surface. Thus, abrading it rather than cutting it. Took about five minutes.

In Cygnett's defense, the OEM charger plug is much bigger than any other micro USB cable plug I own.

Hours into owning the phone, I can say I'm happy with both it and the Cygnett case.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using xda premium

Rakcoon

May 15, 2013
+1 for otterbox.

I've been using it since iphone 4.
I recall dropping it from 6 feet on concrete.
The corner of hard shell broke but my iphone was flawless. They also sent me a replacement case and honoured on their lifetime warranty policy.

As for s4 commuter, I personally find it a 'little' slippery but not as much as a naked s4.

elfenstar

Nov 4, 2007
Singapore
Hi

I'm using a Spigen Slim Armour currently and whilst I love the case I find it's a little bit slippery and the lip on the front is a little too shallow for my liking.

I cant decide whether to get an Otterbox Commuter or Cygnett Workmate. I've never owned cases from either but Otterbox is a brand name I recognise.

I like the workmates protection --- the drop test is convincing but there are reports about the charging port being too small.

The otterbox looks like it might be a bit slippery and may not offer the same protection.

Any advice welcome!

I absolutely love both Otterbox and Cygnett. In the past, I've had issues with Otterbox's silicone warping out of shape. The new one on my wife's HTC One (which is identical to the one I tested on my S4 earlier) is way better than the older versions. Went with Cygnett this time purely based on aesthetics as I think the Cygnett looks wayyyyyy better.

The main differences in protection are that the commuter cases have the hard polycarbonate closer to the edges, while cygnett offers a wider tpu layer. The lip above the screen on the workmate is slightly higher than that of the Commuter. Cygnett's TPU is harder though I can't offer an opinion on if its better or worse (though it means the fit on the Cygnett is slightly better, espcially around the sections where the hard bits clamp around the soft bits). I think the hard shell is thinner but the TPU thicker on the workmate

Usage wise, the Cygnett is slightly grippier than the otterbox. The button presses slightly less mushy. The edge of the lip on the front is sharper and you'll notice it though it's not uncomfortable. I like the fact that the ports are uncovered, but the reports are right. The hole for the USB port is too narrow. I can't fit the original cable in, however it's not a deal breaker for me as I have 3 other cables and chargers. Nothing a sharp hobby knife can't fix though.

To be honest, unless the sharper edge on the front lip or usb port hole size are deal breakers, I would recommend the Cygnett. That being said, both are pretty good cases, and you can't go wrong with either when it comes to protection.

TJK775

Jul 20, 2010
Hi

Any advice welcome!

i bought the WorkMate over the weekend. love the case.

http://www.frys.com/product/7651437?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

super tough bounced across the floor a few times already and no scuffs or anything removes easy to change out the battery and/or SD card

Attachments

• P6032582.jpg
    P6032582.jpg
    227.2 KB · Views: 231
  • 20130603_174224.jpg
    20130603_174224.jpg
    241.5 KB · Views: 213
  • 20130603_174356.jpg
    20130603_174356.jpg
    241.2 KB · Views: 211
  • 20130603_174323.jpg
    20130603_174323.jpg
    245.4 KB · Views: 195

Cygnett

Jun 4, 2013
Hey figsalan101,
Nick here form Cygnett, mate.
Sorry to hear about that the charger port isn't lining up correctly with the WorkMate Evolution, we have had a few reports of this happening.
The issue of the charging port has been fixed and all of the cases we are introducing into the market now are working correctly. You entitled to a refund or exchange at the point of purchase if you'd like to.
Regards,
Nick

Reactions: stricklerjosh

Bradden1

Dec 20, 2011
Google Pixel 6
I went for the black Cygnett Workmate Evolution in the end and love it - thanks for the advice.

The ports are all correct - I bought it directly from Cygnett's website and I guess they have fixed the issues with the earlier ones.

The buttons are still a little stiff even after a couple of weeks use.. but it's a small price to pay for the protection.

I have dropped it once already when getting out of my car. It bounced on my driveway a couple of time without any visible damage.

I still like my Spigen Neo Hybrid, Slim Armour and UAG Scout but none offer the protection I need at work... and excellent grip.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Go for Otterbox Defender (if you don't mind the size). :good:
    If I were you I'd go with the workmate. But I personally use the UAG navigator case.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using xda app-developers app
    I currently use an otterbox commuter. I think for the protection it offers it's not that bulky.

It still easily fits in the breast pocket of my military uniform without being all that noticeable.

Plus otterbox has awesome customer service and warranty. I've gotten several brand new cases from them over the years when port covers broke off or if I had other issues with the case.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using xda app-developers app
    Hi

Any advice welcome!

I absolutely love both Otterbox and Cygnett. In the past, I've had issues with Otterbox's silicone warping out of shape. The new one on my wife's HTC One (which is identical to the one I tested on my S4 earlier) is way better than the older versions. Went with Cygnett this time purely based on aesthetics as I think the Cygnett looks wayyyyyy better.

The main differences in protection are that the commuter cases have the hard polycarbonate closer to the edges, while cygnett offers a wider tpu layer. The lip above the screen on the workmate is slightly higher than that of the Commuter. Cygnett's TPU is harder though I can't offer an opinion on if its better or worse (though it means the fit on the Cygnett is slightly better, espcially around the sections where the hard bits clamp around the soft bits). I think the hard shell is thinner but the TPU thicker on the workmate

Usage wise, the Cygnett is slightly grippier than the otterbox. The button presses slightly less mushy. The edge of the lip on the front is sharper and you'll notice it though it's not uncomfortable. I like the fact that the ports are uncovered, but the reports are right. The hole for the USB port is too narrow. I can't fit the original cable in, however it's not a deal breaker for me as I have 3 other cables and chargers. Nothing a sharp hobby knife can't fix though.

To be honest, unless the sharper edge on the front lip or usb port hole size are deal breakers, I would recommend the Cygnett. That being said, both are pretty good cases, and you can't go wrong with either when it comes to protection.