Remove Android Lag [entropy]

Search This thread

eddiecho59

Mar 11, 2013
Beijing
BTW when we scroll something in iOS
ui tends to stick very closely to the finger.
although butter project on android improved its performance and it's like buttery-smooth on jelly bean, but comparing to iOS, ui doesn't stick to finger VERY closely when we scroll upside down rapidly.
is it caused by frame rate and something like ui thread thingy that others say?

Stretlow

Jun 3, 2010
Yeah fb and xda are smooth as butter lol,

Trolling much?

Sent from my Nexus 4

Facebook is one of the worst apps on the market for lag/stutter/delay. Which ever way you want to dress it up, it's there

---------- Post added at 07:39 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:36 AM ----------

No, I've always heard a lot of complaints on FB and XDA.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda premium

Take a video of you opening up Facebook and "one flick" the scrolling down so it scrolls so we can see.

nikufellow

May 14, 2012
simcity
^fb app is much better than what it used to be during initial stages but still i believe its one poorly coded piece of software. Btw is it written in native code :confused:

rayiskon

Jan 9, 2011
The android vs iOS comparison became really silly and childish.. Input latency, "sticking to finger" and what other stuff i have read around here.

It's only a phone. if it lags and you are not satisfied with it, get rid of it and buy something that will make you happy.
I can tell you that waiting and anticipating any minimal stutter or lag while scrolling fast as hell is not OCD anymore, it's called "i have too much time to waste". It doesn't matter if an app opens 0.0001ms faster, it's the overall experience that matters.
Seriously, people should really start thinking about more important things in life.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda premium

Reactions: ofteno and El Daddy

norpan111

Mar 28, 2010
Halmstad
My sisters IPhone 5 is shuttery and laggy and freezes all the time.. My Galaxy 2 side by side was smoother.. My N4 makes her wish she had one....

WP is smooth but its had the same problems since the early 00's and wp5 ..

I think this "lag" is all in your heads...

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda app-developers app

Wp5 doesn't exist, it was windows mobile back then and its completely rebased

Skickat från min Nexus 4 med Tapatalk 4 Beta

ericaraj

Jan 20, 2011
The android vs iOS comparison became really silly and childish.. Input latency, "sticking to finger" and what other stuff i have read around here.

It's only a phone. if it lags and you are not satisfied with it, get rid of it and buy something that will make you happy.
I can tell you that waiting and anticipating any minimal stutter or lag while scrolling fast as hell is not OCD anymore, it's called "i have too much time to waste". It doesn't matter if an app opens 0.0001ms faster, it's the overall experience that matters.
Seriously, people should really start thinking about more important things in life.

What if I want 60 fps, finger-sticking scrolling without having to saddle myself with iOS? The complaints are valid.

illgodson

Sep 3, 2010

Your right, we should all do that, right here on XDA Smh.

rayiskon

Jan 9, 2011
What if I want 60 fps, finger-sticking scrolling without having to saddle myself with iOS? The complaints are valid.

well ya, i want mobile SoCs to perform as those on a PC , 4GB of RAM would also be nice, but the technology is not there yet. so i take whatever suits me best at the moment and enjoy it, i don't act like a needy kid about it.

forever_lol

Mar 18, 2013
Consumers' dissatisfaction and competition are indeed two factors that manufacturers/developers cannot disregard. If there hadn't been any compliants at all (I am not talking about xda community which is in general very brand/platform loyal but rather the majority who accept their handsets the way they are) I may be wrong but I assume we'd still enjoyed smoothness of GB.

Fensterbank

Apr 3, 2012
My sisters IPhone 5 is shuttery and laggy and freezes all the time.. My Galaxy 2 side by side was smoother.. My N4 makes her wish she had one....

WP is smooth but its had the same problems since the early 00's and wp5 ..

I think this "lag" is all in your heads...

And I think you are lying around. Stop talking about "the brother of my sister", it just uncovers your lie.

I have no lag on my Nexus at all, no stuttering problems, runs just as well as my ipod does. Even on apps like Facebook and XDA don't have any stutter.

Are you serious? Facebook and tapatalk/xda are one of the worst performing apps, and you mean they don't stutter? I really want to believe this, because I always wanted to have a smooth tapatalk, but I cannot really believe without a video.

Lag? On the N4? Blasphemy! If you do ever feel like you're experiencing lag, two words: custom kernel! Debate over. :D

Sent from the Nodes of Ranvier

A custom kernel changes nothing. Facebook and the others will still lag, no matter which kernel you use.

I am really a bit perplexed to hear so many people crapping all over Android while in a forum where almost everyone is using a nexus 4. If it was really so crappy I highly doubt it would be so popular.

The nexus 4 isn't popular at all.

The fact that an iPhone only needs 2 cores means nothing considering that many android phones also run perfectly with 2 cores..

Don't joke around.

Last edited:

ericaraj

Jan 20, 2011
well ya, i want mobile SoCs to perform as those on a PC , 4GB of RAM would also be nice, but the technology is not there yet. so i take whatever suits me best at the moment and enjoy it, i don't act like a needy kid about it.

Sorry was I acting like a needy kid? I was trying to act like a consumer with dollars to spend on a smartphone. I want that smartphone to be Android (and it will be) but that doesn't make me 100% satisfied.

Richieboy67

Dec 10, 2011
CT
www.talkdevelopment.net
And I think you are lying around. Stop talking about "the brother of my sister", it just uncovers your lie.

Are you serious? Facebook and tapatalk/xda are one of the worst performing apps, and you mean they don't stutter? I really want to believe this, because I always wanted to have a smooth tapatalk, but I cannot really believe without a video.

A custom kernel changes nothing. Facebook and the others will still lag, no matter which kernel you use.

Don't joke around.

I said Crapping all over Android... If you hate Android and the Nexus 4 so much why are you here?

I have no issues with lag at all on my Nexus 4. There are many variables at work here. People are using many various kernals and launchers and roms, etc.. Lag could be caused by a million different things but I will repeat.. If Android lagged so much I really do not think it would be so popular.

As for the nexus 4 not being popular I disagree. It is very popular worldwide and obviously it is popular in a Nexus 4 forum. I think it is just human nature to complain about everything. If you update your facebook and it has to download a crapload of data--THAT IS NOT LAG! If you are scrolling through your facebook threads and by doing so it has to download more threads at the same time--THAT IS NOT LAG! Sure they could cache all of that on your device and perhaps only the new data would have to be downloaded but personally I do not want my device filled with 500mb of facebook posts.

My device is very quick and virtually lag free when going through pages, etc. When using a browser or something else that is downloading tons of data from the net it is going to take a little time depending on how fast your connection is. This even happens on the fastest pcs... I think this will improve over time but I do not see this as a problem right now and if you are having so much "Android Lag" then you should really look at what else you have running.

it is the same thing with the battery life-- If you have apps downloading data every few minutes then your battery life is going to be crap. I have all my apps to only download data when I choose to do it manually and I get through an entire day every day and charge my phone at bed time. I listen to podcasts during the day, use gps occasionally, check email, send email, browse forums, etc... Play games and that is different.

There is my long winded reply to a troll post. :)

norpan111

Mar 28, 2010
Halmstad
But people refer to lag as stuttering/jerky
And android, even nexus 4 has it! There's no escape! Run to the hills!

Skickat från min Nexus 4 med Tapatalk 4 Beta

Reactions: greg17477

Fensterbank

Apr 3, 2012
I said Crapping all over Android... If you hate Android and the Nexus 4 so much why are you here?

Where do I write that I HATE android/n4?

I have no issues with lag at all on my Nexus 4. There are many variables at work here. People are using many various kernals and launchers and roms, etc.. Lag could be caused by a million different things but I will repeat.. If Android lagged so much I really do not think it would be so popular.

You don't understand anything at all. You don't even understand the main issue which we complain here since 10 sites. If a app is poorly optimizated, it doesn't matter which rom/kernel/launcher you take.

As for the nexus 4 not being popular I disagree. It is very popular worldwide and obviously it is popular in a Nexus 4 forum.

Oh man are serious? There is no advertisement for the nexus 4, thats the reason why it was only sold 3 million times. It's not popular at all, simply as that.

If you update your facebook and it has to download a crapload of data--THAT IS NOT LAG! If you are scrolling through your facebook threads and by doing so it has to download more threads at the same time--THAT IS NOT LAG!

Hm strange, iOS-devices don't have such lag. And a "crapload of data" is terribly false, there isnt much of data to load. You are phrasing like tapatalk/facebook has to load megabyte over megabyte like a heavy website, but that's wrong.

I hope you are just joking.

Reactions: greg17477

PJcastaldo

Aug 31, 2009
Debary, FL
Lmao.. I wasn't lieing. My sisters Iphone5 lags and shutters like crazy. She Hates it..

I agree if you guys don't like you phones.. Or android for that matter go away.. Stop complaining.

Its obvious your trolling. You love the IFail and you posy about it all around the forums.. Just stop already

gie62001

Jan 21, 2011
London
Google Pixel 6 Pro

Its a pity I can't give any more "thanks" just to annoy fenster guy ;) as he seems to not understanding how the fetching of data can be related to stuttering or lag as they call it. It doesn't matter if its few KB or MB as its still a long way to convert these bites into something meaningful on your screen. And if you have poor connection or slow the stutter will be more obvious. I believe iOS fetches the data differently even on browser as iOS can leave a lot of data behind (blank spaces) when loading websites whereas android tries to load as much data as it can at once.
I believe this issue has been discussed in the olden htc desire days and I think someone wrote pretty solid article on why and how android "lags"
If you refer to UI lag then also its different the way iOS and android prioritises what needs to be loaded - there should be an article on the net about it.
Anyway I love my nexus 4 maybe because I still use htc desire from time to time and I can't believe how much android has matured and how much it has improved.

Sent from my HTC Desire using xda app-developers app

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    "Too deeply imbedded to fix now" - Is that right? Did you develop Android? Are you a developer yourself/ even minor? Stop talking absolute bollocks if you can't back it up.

yes i am a developer, i work as one for many years in the field, i develop in countless languages down to machine language or asm. and yes, i develop android aswell in my freetime. low level android, not java sdk. i dont need to back it up because it can be seen at plain sight. every other framework i have worked with in my life gives you the capacity to prioritise ui events, here's how ms does it for instance. android still lags, no matter how many cores you stuff in it, it will always lag. unless they take care of the basics, which they will probably do. i dont understand though what bit you or pinched your pride so badly, i wasnt awfuly impolite or anything to deserve such a knee-jerk reaction. this is a developer forum, god forbid that developers will share their opinions and impressions.
    Sounds like snake oil. Androids remaining lag is too deeply rooted to be squashed with some shell code parlor trick. Android gives content fetching more priority than rendering the UI, it's something that Google has to take care of by rewriting the framework. Ios does this beautifully btw, it doesn't need 4 cores for fluid scrolling and even with 4 cores nexus can't touch it ... yet.

Don't joke around.

As for the nexus 4 not being popular I disagree. It is very popular worldwide and obviously it is popular in a Nexus 4 forum. I think it is just human nature to complain about everything. If you update your facebook and it has to download a crapload of data--THAT IS NOT LAG! If you are scrolling through your facebook threads and by doing so it has to download more threads at the same time--THAT IS NOT LAG! Sure they could cache all of that on your device and perhaps only the new data would have to be downloaded but personally I do not want my device filled with 500mb of facebook posts.

My device is very quick and virtually lag free when going through pages, etc. When using a browser or something else that is downloading tons of data from the net it is going to take a little time depending on how fast your connection is. This even happens on the fastest pcs... I think this will improve over time but I do not see this as a problem right now and if you are having so much "Android Lag" then you should really look at what else you have running.

it is the same thing with the battery life-- If you have apps downloading data every few minutes then your battery life is going to be crap. I have all my apps to only download data when I choose to do it manually and I get through an entire day every day and charge my phone at bed time. I listen to podcasts during the day, use gps occasionally, check email, send email, browse forums, etc... Play games and that is different.

http://androidandme.com/2011/12/news/android-may-never-be-as-smooth-as-ios-says-ex-googler/

While it may be true that some native apps are lag free, many apps are indeed not native(Facebook recently became native and its like 5x faster better). The Android experience will never be as consistent as iOS until the apps are all written native code. However that will probably not happen since certain apps use iOS as the target and then are later ported to Android, while providing the lag filled experience.

A large majority of Android devices are now shipping with multi-cores, it would only make sense to give the UI MAX priority while offloading the content load to a specific CPU(s). Android is my favorite OS(look at how many i've purchased in the last 4 years!), and I would love to see it grow as much as the next guy but that doesn't mean it is without faults. From now to back when I got my G1, the performance of android has always been sketchy regardless of the core count or cpu speed.

the catch is that androids native sdk controls are inherently laggy. if you write a native sdk conform listview, it will lag. since you mention facebook, they even wrote the list engine themselves, from scratch to avoid the problem. and its still laggy. they had an article about that in their developer blog, got alot of **** for it in the comments section. for the record, i dont think "lag" is that much of a problem, nexus4 is fluid most of the time. but its there and its noticable, especially when it fetches content. i dont believe this lag will go away even if they have 20 cores - thats why i always bought nexus, hardware does not matter, things like vsync and tripple buffering made such a difference, one day they'll optimize UI prioritising and lazy loading, that will give android a huge push again.
    We talking about IE10?

IE sucks no matter how many numbers are after it.