Final fix for Nexus 4 red light of death

Search This thread

yev.gavrikov

Nov 1, 2012
Haifa
www.gadgets-car.co.il
@yev.gavrikov

Thanks a TON Friend :highfive::cowboy:

Finally My Bros. Nexus4 Worked we just did till Step 3 and again installed it Back

Amazingly phone booted :) back to basic

The Story:

Device Info Nexus 4
Kernel : Franco nightly R156
ROM: PA 3.6
@Stock Speed Stock CPU Governor
was running AnTuTu Benchmarking the battery was @50% suddenly in between the test phone screen was off, when we checked phone was not booting up :crying:
So i saw this Thread and watch 2-3 videos How to dismantle the Nexus 4
Skills : Moderate (Needs Precision and patience)
I just removed and reinstalled the battery terminal.

And amazingly the phone Started ....WOW Awesome :good: @yev.gavrikov

Thanks

Glad that it helped to you :)

Reactions: Sharvil Birodkar

omgwtfitsp

May 19, 2013
If anyone is still somewhat active on this thread, maybe you can help me with my red light of death situation? I currently don't have the tools needed to follow this guide but I'll explain my situation.

I had just done a factory reset of my phone and was running stock rom and stock kernel, rooted and unlocked boot loader. I was preforming a nandroid backup of my phone and had it on the ac charger overnight. I fell asleep during the progress but I do remember seeing the back up progress bar going fine. I woke up to find that the red light was flashing on my phone only when plugged in though.

What's weird is that when I tried plugging it in via usb to my computer, I get a moment of solid red light, then a screen with the battery and lightning bolt appears for a moment, then it goes back to flashing red light. So I mess around with it, I re-plugged it and when I get the battery screen I hold the power button, and this appeared to work because I got the black screen with "Google" on, but only for a few seconds before it goes back to flashing red light.

Some of you may say that I should just keep it on charge for a few hours maybe? But my problem is that it has already been on charge over night so I'm somewhat confused. At the moment I have it on usb charging with the red light still flashing.

Any help would be greatly appreciated?

P00t

Apr 9, 2011
I had red light led but I didn't have to open up my phone.
I was able to get into recovery/boot loader so I just returned to stock rom then back to rooted roms.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda app-developers app

omgwtfitsp

May 19, 2013
I had red light led but I didn't have to open up my phone.
I was able to get into recovery/boot loader so I just returned to stock rom then back to rooted roms.

Well that's great to hear, but doesn't really help in any way lol. How did you get the red light and what ddi you do to fix it?

techienilay

Sep 27, 2012
Red Light , not going off !

Red Light , does it also mean something else other than the battery thing , cause when I removed the battery and I checked the voltage , it was around 3.5V , I tried pressing buttons for 60sec and stuff , nothing worked , since then I tried charging it with the default Nexus 4 wall charger for 5-6 hours , still the Red Light wont go off ! Please help ! :crying:

RohanM

Oct 19, 2012
My only query is how the red light lights up ?? by default my N4 never shows any LED while charging.. so using light flow for that....

EvoXOhio

Mar 23, 2011
Guys this is complete overkill. There is a documented process for fixing the red light of death. Basically you need to do a battery pull and then let it charge for awhile. HOWEVER, there is a way of simulating a battery pull without actually doing it:

1. Unplug phone from charger
2. Press and hold the volume UP button plus power button for 60 seconds.
3. Release buttons.
4. Plug into charger
5. Wait about an hour for it to charge.

That's it. This is a documented and published fix from LG and Google. The pressing of the buttons does something to simulate a battery pull - probably some sort of flushing of any remaining current out of the phone or tripping some sort of e-fuse like feature.

ch3l3f

Mar 14, 2012
Thnx for the fix, mine went from blinking red, to steady red, and then no signals of life whatsoever. Just unplugged battery and plugged it back, charged, few hours later I was flashing my Lil heart off. A friend also told me that I could have connected it to a usb port and that slow trickle of power would eventually revive it. I couldn't try his fix because I had already done the one posted here.

Krazhil

Apr 4, 2012
Guys this is complete overkill. There is a documented process for fixing the red light of death. Basically you need to do a battery pull and then let it charge for awhile. HOWEVER, there is a way of simulating a battery pull without actually doing it:

3. Release buttons.
4. Plug into charger

That's it. This is a documented and published fix from LG and Google. The pressing of the buttons does something to simulate a battery pull - probably some sort of flushing of any remaining current out of the phone or tripping some sort of e-fuse like feature.

If someone tried this successfully, an admin should sticky this.

Federico_96

Jun 29, 2013
In my opinion is strange that the red led blinks only when the battery is fully drained and not when it's at 1-2% for example...

traviscannon

Aug 10, 2010

3. Release buttons.
4. Plug into charger

I gave this a try and it was a no go. I hadn't tried to charge it for a few days, I held the buttons downs and then put it on the charger. The white charging icons came on and I left it on the charger for more than an hour. When I tried to turn it on again, the white icon came on again for half a second and then the red light was flashing again. I tried the whole process again but it just blinked red again. Any other suggestions? I really don't want to open this thing up.

Akatosh

Jan 14, 2012
UK
I just ordered this phone and noe I'm reading this thread and I can't help but being a bit paranoid, under what circumstances does it happen and how rare is it?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda app-developers app

rayiskon

Jan 9, 2011
I just ordered this phone and noe I'm reading this thread and I can't help but being a bit paranoid, under what circumstances does it happen and how rare is it?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda app-developers app

don't worry about it. just put your phone on charge when it's around 5% and you should be safe. my friend's nexus 4 often shuts down (out of juice) while he's still at work and he never had the red light problem.

RohanM

Oct 19, 2012
But this is stupid for a phone with non-removable battery.. someday at somepoint u may run out of battry & cant charge it, like at midnight while u re sleeping...

live_n_loud2501

Mar 4, 2013
Yes I've done that. I charged my phone for 2 hours and it automatically booted. Thanks :thumbup:

traviscannon

Aug 10, 2010

3. Release buttons.
4. Plug into charger

Yeah I've tried this several times and I get the red light every time I plug it back in. I've let it flash like that for an hour or longer (overnight once) and tried it again but still nothing. When I plug it in, I can hold down the power button for about 10-12 seconds and the Google logo comes up for a second or two and then it goes back to black and the red light flashing. If I hold the volume down and the power for 10-12 seconds I get a few seconds of the recovery menu and then it goes to black. If I hold volume up and down and power for 10-12 seconds I get a download screen for a second or two and then back to black. I've been looking to find a screw driver from an IT guy but he came in today and he didn't have anything small enough. I feel like there is some sort of combination to get this thing working I just cant figure it out.

Does anybody else have another suggestion without taking the back off? Or has anyone not had success taking the back off? I'm afraid that won't work either.

Treshy

Apr 25, 2013
Realme GT
Yeah I've tried this several times and I get the red light every time I plug it back in. I've let it flash like that for an hour or longer (overnight once) and tried it again but still nothing. When I plug it in, I can hold down the power button for about 10-12 seconds and the Google logo comes up for a second or two and then it goes back to black and the red light flashing. If I hold the volume down and the power for 10-12 seconds I get a few seconds of the recovery menu and then it goes to black. If I hold volume up and down and power for 10-12 seconds I get a download screen for a second or two and then back to black. I've been looking to find a screw driver from an IT guy but he came in today and he didn't have anything small enough. I feel like there is some sort of combination to get this thing working I just cant figure it out.

Does anybody else have another suggestion without taking the back off? Or has anyone not had success taking the back off? I'm afraid that won't work either.

are you able to read? it says press it for 60 (sixty) seconds... just hold it even if it boots up... that should fix it

Gesendet von meinem GT-I9070P

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello i'll try to explain how i fixed the red notification light when my friend's phone died.
    The situation was that he charged the phone from the car built in USB and after he unplugged the charger the phone never powered on.
    I tried all the solutions that google search can provide and nothing helped.
    The problem was that when you plug the charger the red light stays on without any blinks and nothing helped.

Tools you need:
    *Torque screw T5 screwdriver
    *Small Philips screwdriver (thanks scream4cheese for remind)
    *Plastic handle or something else (to open the back cover without damage it)
    *Thin wires
    *old/new phone charger

So lets start - hope it will help some one that stuck in this situation
    1. First of all you need to remove the back cover to get access to the battery.
    3oFPl-1024x680.jpg

2. Unscrew the 2 screws that holds the battery flex cable.
    3. Disconnect the flex cable from the phone.
    Peek-behind-LG-Nexus-4-back-cover-shows-replaceable-battery.jpg

4. Now you need two thin wires that you can connect to the battery flex cable.
    5. Find some old phone charger ( i used old nokia charger ) that can provide about 5.0v-5.8v.
    6. If you have volt meter find where is the positive and negative (+) and (-).
    7. Connect the battery positive (+) to charger positive (+) and negative to negative.
    oemlgnexus4e960battery4.jpg

4rl5.jpg

8. Plug the charger to power and wait about 15-13 minutes, do not leave in that charging position too much time because the battery may EXPLODE.
    9. Disconnect all the wires and reconnect the battery to the phone (if not working wait few minutes and start over from step 7) maybe the connections is not good or mot enough charged.
    10. power on the phone and you have solved that issue.

3. Release buttons.
    4. Plug into charger

Ummmmm. I think people are just being impatient. I had my N4 powered off while overseas for 2 months. When I returned and turned my N4 on, I received the "Red Light of Death".

I read through all of the forums and found the same fixes everywhere.

Open the phone up and reset the battery terminal bar, etc etc...

Now, I have no problem doing that, but I just couldn't accept such a major flaw from this phone, not to mention the problem appeared to be widespread.

Anyways, back to my original point, people are just crazy impatient and freak out over each and every little thing. The first thing they do is rip their phone open and start tinkering.

I ASSURE YOU. JUST LEAVE IT PLUGGED IN USING THE WALL CHARGER FOR AN HOUR OR SO, and it WILL turn back on.

Now, maybe there are situations out there where my method doesn't work, in that case, shame on LG and Google.

Though, I would be willing to bet, if this happens to anyone else, just leave it the hell alone and let it sit on the wall charger for a couple of hours, turning it on and off a few times in between (or at least attempting to), it will come back to life.
    Hi

This is defeating a safety mechanism. When lithium batteries are over discharged they can become permanently damaged and then are not safe to recharge. Recharging could result in gassing and or an explosion and fire, this may not happen right away or at all, however the chances of this happening is significantly increased after a deep discharge or some other fault causing over-heating etc. Why did LG build in this protection mechanism in the first place? Do people just think it was to annoy owners and have returns for no reason? Lithium batteries can be lethal which is why there have been world wide recalls in some cases, and they are only safe now because of safety devices built into the battery and phone.

I wouldn't want a phone exploding in my pocket or against my face or in my hand or setting fire to my home. Lithium batteries are generally pretty safe only because of these safety mechanisms, defeat them and lithium batteries become pretty dangerous.

Read up on safety issues here: http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/lithium_ion_safety_concerns especially under the "What every battery user should know" section and please realise you are literally playing with fire by defecting or shorting out the safety mechanism which this direct charging method is likely doing.

Regards

Phil
    Good to know in case it happens so thanks but I was just wondering whether just disconnecting battery terminals wasn't enough as quite a few mentioned that that's how they fixed it so not sure how this method works.
    Anyway thanks

As i mentioned the battery discharged fully under the 0.2 Volt (after charging the phone with incompatible charger which output is about 3.5V) *in this case the battery is much powerful than charger and it forwarding the power back to charger and not the charger to phone*
    so the phone doesn't know that the battery is OK and thinks that it is bad battery, in this case you should use my method or replace to new one if you have an choice to receive it fast or find in local shop.
    I'm not guarantee that my method will save your battery you may need to replace it.