S4 Screen cracked in front jeans pocket! Galaxy S4 is very weak!

Search This thread

pepsimaxmjs

Jul 12, 2008
add another to the list

I have been so careful with my S4, never dropped it. Looking after it. Today I put my phone in my front jeans pocket like always. Got in the car and after a 5 minute drive got out and the screen is showing funny colors and its cracked ;(

I have had many phones in this front jeans pocket (They all lived) and somehow a slight bend has done this. Very weak, if you ask me we are going to see a lot of this as it seems the phone is not the strongest at all. Time for a unibody HTC I think. I've had it with Samsung's plastic crap. :(

My phone will be up on ebay if anyone wants an i9500 for spares.

Edit: The gorilla glass is fine, its the amloed behind that cracked.

My Galaxy S4 in Samsung protective Smart cover has mysteriously expired whilst on holiday in France. Seemed to crack on a flat surface in a car. Had been in my pocket previously. Black screen, no GG3 damage. Hairline crack in the display from top of volume rocker across screen. Have to move screen back and forward to see this crack.

I have had 2 other Samsung Galaxys, nonewas so fragile. Typically my phone is in a hip holster, so no stress on it. 2 months old.

I wonder if thecover design plus heat is a factor. Will report theproblem to Vodafone and ask for warranty Areplacement

trendkilla

Oct 20, 2009
weak weak weak screen

Ok, I have to say, this is horrible.

Galaxy S4 in front pocket, nothing else. Layed on grass. Soft Plush Grass. Carpet Grass.... For maybe 3 minutes tops. That was enough to crack the lcd UNDER the Gorilla glass...... Really. That is sad. I'd bet my Galaxy S1 I could stand on it without a problem, let me go try that right now........... Oh wait I mighe need to use it.....

200.00 insurance deductible for this really sucks.

msa_6292

Feb 14, 2012
Dont freak out u Guys!!!!
... All u need 2 do is just Try not to keep your GS4 in ur pocket(Specially front pocket) while u wanna sit somewhere that u know it would twist a bit. otherwise S4 is the best phone ever and if it didnt have the plastic material, just imagine how heavy it would become in our hands... It's only 130 grms..:D

@rbiter

Dec 4, 2011
Perfect phone? A gnote2 minus the capacitive/physical button with software navigation and minus 80% of the stupid Samsung bloat. Some of the bloat is actually useful or not too bad. Heck, better yet, keep the gnote2 as is and Samsung gives up the source code. Hint hint Samsung. Sure would be nice to have source on the gnote3. Now that would be innovation.

sent from my gt-i9505

Euthye

Jul 15, 2012
Dont freak out u Guys!!!!
... All u need 2 do is just Try not to keep your GS4 in ur pocket(Specially front pocket) while u wanna sit somewhere that u know it would twist a bit. otherwise S4 is the best phone ever and if it didnt have the plastic material, just imagine how heavy it would become in our hands... It's only 130 grms..:D

Whilst in principle I agree with you I feel that on a good day I could lift up to 160g so I would opt for the metal chassis that was rigid enough to protect the display.

Reactions: ranger4740

msa_6292

Feb 14, 2012
Whilst in principle I agree with you I feel that on a good day I could lift up to 160g so I would opt for the metal chassis that was rigid enough to protect the display.
u would really feel even 10 grams when u r lying down & u want to use ur phone. I had 150 grams phone before. and after I bought s4 I realized how much difference is between 130 & 150 grams...
although I'm not saying that Samsung couldn't work on its material...:rolleyes:

titus1

Feb 14, 2010
Samsung never told you to put your barebone S4 in your jeans' front pocket, You can buy a $500 phone but you can't buy a decent protective case or screen protector? Any 5" will surely crack by your habits. Goodluck in your search of a perfect phone. Let us know if it breaks again,

Kind of reasoning that is somewhat hard to swallow. You can't use your phone now bare? Samsung might just forgot to print these in the box..."Importance: Quite fragile. Needs case and screenprotector. Sold separately"

Last edited:
Reactions: mohsinraza

deaffob

Jan 15, 2010
nyc
This kind is thread is such a waste of time. It's all relative really. If I was wearing my tight Diesel jeans, I can bend a metal spoon with my front pocket.

Reactions: GruberEXN

rgshah3

Apr 19, 2011
Mumbai
Anyone in india who has faced this problem? Can be a manufacturing defect

If our screen cracks within a year of buying the device, Samsung will replace the screen for Rs. 500 (approx 10$) so no worries here :p

Sent from my GT-I9500 using xda premium

LouZiffer

Mar 16, 2010
Don't get me wrong, this is a truly awesome phone but I tend to think the S3 is a better phone (my wife has one for 6 months now), it's a bit smaller, fits in the pocket so much better and it has fm radio!

You don't realize this, but the S4 is slightly smaller than the S3. If the S3 fits in your pocket well, then the S4 should also. The screen is larger of course, so it doesn't have as much "phone" surrounding it to protect it.

donkito

Apr 25, 2011
I have dropped my i9505 model by accident the day before and it felt from about 1.2 meter high. So when I picked it up I was expecting the worse - smashed screen and etc., but no! It haven't even got a scratch on the back or at the glass. The only damage was slightly scratch on the side bazzel, but it is almost invisible. So I guess there is some models with some kind of glitch or something.. :confused:

uotac Richard

Kind of reasoning that is somewhat hard to swallow. You can't use your phone now bare? Samsung might just forgot to print these in the box..."Importance: Quite fragile. Needs case and screenprotector. Sold separately"

That's the risk you took but don't blame the manufacturer for it. Nobody refrains you from using the phone bare but you should have thought about the possible consequences before you placed it in the front pocket of your jeans that's all I am saying.

ezy1022

Aug 24, 2009
I read this thread before I got my i9505 and was pretty concerned...as soon as i turned it on i bent and twisted it and it was fine...

btw i am an infantry soldier in the US Army and always keep it in my front pocket getting in and out of tactcal vehicles, and wearing full body armor at shooting ranges, you name it i have done it and i dont have any case...i use a zip lock bag when i know i will be getting wet...

99% of the world isn't as active and rough as i am (with my gear)...so if your worried about buying the phone bec of this thread like i was, don't be...Either these people don't have any situational awareness or are lying about what happened...

Sent from my GT-I9505 using xda premium

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    One more guy who doesn't take care his phone, "Oh my god, my phone just broke, I did nothing, It broke itself. samsung suuuuucks, I will go HTC one!!!"

Of course. Always samsung build quality, always the manufacturer fault.

As you see the glass didnt break... so it is definitly a thing to worry about...
    I have been so careful with my S4, never dropped it. Looking after it. Today I put my phone in my front jeans pocket like always. Got in the car and after a 5 minute drive got out and the screen is showing funny colors and its cracked ;(

I have had many phones in this front jeans pocket (They all lived) and somehow a slight bend has done this. Very weak, if you ask me we are going to see a lot of this as it seems the phone is not the strongest at all. Time for a unibody HTC I think. I've had it with Samsung's plastic crap. :(

My phone will be up on ebay if anyone wants an i9500 for spares.

Edit: The gorilla glass is fine, its the amloed behind that cracked.
    you must of sat on it or something because mine is always in my front pocket (screen facing my leg) and no problem..

One more guy who doesn't take care his phone, "Oh my god, my phone just broke, I did nothing, It broke itself. samsung suuuuucks, I will go HTC one!!!"

Of course. Always samsung build quality, always the manufacturer fault.
    I know "fit for purpose" is big in the UK. Where's the definition of "fit for purpose" as it comes to the durability of a device with components we all know can be damaged to varying degrees? Saying the SGS4 shouldn’t crack when other phones haven’t is totally subjective and each scenario is unique. Because the SGS4 doesn't do as well in trouser pockets as other phones doesn't mean it's "unfit," it just means its less durable being pocketed (subjected to stress). You can claim to a watch dog that the SGS4 shouldn't crack when it does but with no "standard" to measure it against and so many ways for any phone display to be cracked it's going to be awfully difficult proving it's not fit for purpose.

It's really very simple, and the geographical location is a compete irrelevance as we're discussing what should be common sense here. The Galaxy S4 is a mobile device, and it should be possible to take certain things for granted as a result. So unless you're suggesting it be kept in a teflon box attached to a belt clip, having the display on a disproportionate amount of devices break under the everyday, standard duress other phones appear more than capable of dealing with (including previous generations of devices by Samsung themselves) is completely unacceptable.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using xda app-developers app
    1. Hendrickson (OP)
    2. raidenuk
    3. beatmag (discoloration)
    4. jdashford
    5. scriptx
    6. pitapart
    7. murrowxda (AT&T)
    8. Shadowcash ("friend's broke")
    9. greenandroid.sb
    10. _Supernaut
    11. zoroko
    12. blader0109
    13. nevillejb75
    14. Ace 272
    15. epsilon8888
    16. SSTaLoN
    17. kuribo67
    18. danniibxn
    19. Toshanda (screen died)
    20. minipcpro (YouTube video)
    21. saspi
    22. saspi (broke again after repair [drop])
    23. mmessina
    24. AMDERS17 (AT&T)
    25. SAShady (Sprint)
    26. ostrow30
    27. Trax_
    28. LadyDiana0265
    29. XsonicX
    30. Gash128
    31. TeeeJaay ("friend" - GG3 cracked, not AMOLED)
    32. rallyfan1986 (GG3 cracked, not AMOLED)

So with 25 pages of discussion, 32 are how many phones have been reported with broken displays in this thread as of June 19th. I was killing time on a plane today and went through this thread to do the count. Here are some things I picked up from the comments:

• The "mystery cracks" all occurred while the phone was in motion (EG: shirt pocket) with lots of comments about "it was fine when I put it in my pocket and broken when I took it out."

• There are more than a dozen posts from people who keep their phone in their pocket (shirt and pants) and various reports of drops and flexing incidents where nothing happened to their phone.

• Only a couple of people reported that GG3 cracked along with the AMOLED panel and that was in "drop" scenarios. The rest all reported just the AMOLED panel broke.
    If there are 5,000 owners in the i9500/i9505 forum, 32 cracked displays equals a 5/10ths of a percent damage rate. 250 cracked displays would be 5%. I think this really is a mountain being made out of a molehill. And I didn't see any posts that said "I put my phone down on a table and it was fine and when I picked it up it was broken." So I question whether phones being carried loosely in pockets may have been exposed to stress or flex that their owners didn't realize. That, or they were previously stressed or flexed and just light jostling from being in a pocket was all it took to do them in. In that vein, it could also have been a manufacturing defect that caused light stress or flex to crack the AMOLED. Regardless, while it sucks for the 5/10ths of a percent affected, it seems a bit premature to declare the SGS4 universally "weak" which is the trend this thread's taken.