Remove All Ads from XDA
Find Your Device:
Or Continue to Thread: [APP][4.1.2+ with OpenPDroid o…
8th August 2013, 06:23 PM |#253  
Inactive Recognized Developer
New Orleans
Thanks Meter: 3,520

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by temasek

My users are huge fans of your work.

Great job

Back at you, temasek.

If your 4.2.1 users are still having trouble with Autopatcher, I have a solution for them that we can do. I know at least one of your builds (as reported by @DualJoe among others) had an incompatible commit. A solution is available if I can get a build pair (patched/unpatched, same source).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir.Swaffel

Great mod, and great app.

Have 2 questions:

1) Does this work nicely alongside CyanogenMod's "Privacy Guard"? I don't know exactly what CM10.1 PG does because I couldn't really find any good information. It seems to be lacking.
2) How will this work alongside the new Android 4.3 app permission manager (see androidpolice.com/2013/07/25/app-ops-android-4-3s-hidden-app-permission-manager-control-permissions-for-individual-apps/ )?

I ask this because I don't really know what will happen if I use OpenPDroid as well as CM PG. Which one will overrule the other? Do I need to use both? etc. It's kind of confusing.

It IS confusing. For a long time, we were the only ones doing this, now there are lots of options. I need to find a way to edit this OP. it is really out of date. Basically it is this, despite varying levels of code overlap, all three implementations can be used at once, with no problems that we know of. They all do escalating levels of privacy. with OpD at the top.
  • Google's AppOps simply blocks permissions, it will not spoof them. And not all permissions or apps are available to be blocked.
  • CM"s PrivacyGuard is only for a very certain subsect of permissions, and is NOT aimed at spoofing or anonymity.
  • XPrivacy uses the XPosed framework, which is mostly centered on blocking info and may not work on all apps (i am not sure about system apps)
  • OpenPDroid is a full-featured privacy suite, and allows you to control all identifying/sensitive data

They are all good tools, (with Google's AppOps being barely begun) which solve varyiung use cases. OpenPDroid is, IMO, probably the best of all the privacy solutions at this time, but there is the price that it can be difficult to install and configure. We try to make it as easy as possible, but there is a lot of work to be done on that front still.

I have been very pleased to see all the implementations spring up, I try and play nice with all of them.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mateorod For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift mateorod Ad-Free