[Q] [Help] No network in L5 e612f with other sim but the original

Search This thread

dobert

Oct 18, 2012
Hi,

I came accross this problem that it's driving me nuts. Any help would be much appreciated.

DEVICE
L5 e612f - originally SIM locked to Telcel Mexico - trying to make it work with Spanish SIM and networks.
Rooted
Unlocked bootloader
Installed CWM recovery
Installed CM10.1 - also tried latest CM10 nightly 7/7/2013 and a stock LG Rom -> I experience the same problem

PROBLEM IN SHORT

The phone is SIM locked to Telcel Mexico.

I thought that rooting/unlocking bootloader/using a custom ROM would allow me to use other SIM but I don't know if I'm right.

Anyway, if I try to sim unlock it with a purchased code, I can't because the phone won't prompt me for an unlock code, either by using a non-allowed sim or using the codes for my phone.

Could this be because I'm not longer in Mexico and I'm using the device in Roaming mode?

For more details, please check hidden text.

MORE DETAILS

The phone will only search for and connect to networks if the original sim is inside. With another SIM, the phone won't detect or connect to any carriers.

If I put another SIM it won't give any error... it asks for the normal sim PIN and logs into the system, but no network is available.

The phone won't say the SIM is not allowed or ask me for an unlocking code it with a non original SIM

The codes to SIM unlock doesn't seem to work, I tried:

2945#*612#
2945#*71001#
2945#*610#

but the dialer returns
'USSD Code running'
and finally
''Connection problem or invalid MMI code'

With the original (Telcel Mexico) SIM everything goes OK.

With an Orange SIM from Spain, the phone asks for the normal SIM pin when I turn it on, then logs into the system and it won't connect to any network.

If I go to Settings - Wireless & Network - More - Mobile Networks - Network operators
a message pops in saying - 'Error while searching for networks'
The same message pops in if I tap on 'Search Networks'

If I tap into 'Choose Automatically' the phone says 'Registered on network', but the signal is still 0 and no carrier is selected.
If I tap into 'Choose Automatically' again, the phone returnns 'The sim card doesn't allow a connection to this network' after a minute or so saying 'Automatic Registration'

Extra data
With CM10 Nightly 7/7/2013 the phone has the same issue even with the original SIM inside
With stock Rom, I have the same issue as with CM10.1 (only works with original sim)

So my questions are:

1) Is my phone SIM locked even after unlocking bootloader + custom ROM?
2) If it is SIM locked, why is it allowing me to log with another SIM instead of showing a typical 'sim locked' message
3) If it's SIM locked, could I unlock it with a purchased code in Roaming mode... if so... how?
4) If I revert to an original Telcel firmware would it ask me for the unlocking code?
5) Tried adb fastboot oem unlock but the phone reboots and gets stuck into the fastboot screen - could this be a corrupted bootloader issue?

Many thanks in advance

dobert

Oct 18, 2012
Hi,

I came accross this problem that it's driving me nuts. Any help would be much appreciated.

DEVICE
L5 e612f - originally SIM locked to Telcel Mexico - trying to make it work with Spanish SIM and networks.
Rooted
Unlocked bootloader
Installed CWM recovery
Installed CM10.1 - also tried latest CM10 nightly 7/7/2013 and a stock LG Rom -> I experience the same problem

PROBLEM IN SHORT

I thought that rooting/unlocking bootloader/using a custom ROM would allow me to use other SIM but I don't know if I'm right.

Anyway, if I try to sim unlock it with a purchased code, I can't because the phone won't prompt me for an unlock code, either by using a non-allowed sim or using the codes for my phone.

Could this be because I'm not longer in Mexico and I'm using the device in Roaming mode?

MORE DETAILS

The phone will only search for and connect to networks if the original sim is inside. With another SIM, the phone won't detect or connect to any carriers.

If I put another SIM it won't give any error... it asks for the normal sim PIN and logs into the system, but no network is available.

The phone won't say the SIM is not allowed or ask me for an unlocking code it with a non original SIM

2945#*612#
2945#*71001#
2945#*610#

but the dialer returns
'USSD Code running'
and finally

With an Orange SIM from Spain, the phone asks for the normal SIM pin when I turn it on, then logs into the system and it won't connect to any network.

If I go to Settings - Wireless & Network - More - Mobile Networks - Network operators

If I tap into 'Choose Automatically' the phone says 'Registered on network', but the signal is still 0 and no carrier is selected.
If I tap into 'Choose Automatically' again, the phone returnns 'The sim card doesn't allow a connection to this network' after a minute or so saying 'Automatic Registration'

Extra data
With CM10 Nightly 7/7/2013 the phone has the same issue even with the original SIM inside
With stock Rom, I have the same issue as with CM10.1 (only works with original sim)

So my questions are:

2) If it is SIM locked, why is it allowing me to log with another SIM instead of showing a typical 'sim locked' message
3) If it's SIM locked, could I unlock it with a purchased code in Roaming mode... if so... how?
4) If I revert to an original Telcel firmware would it ask me for the unlocking code?
5) Tried adb fastboot oem unlock but the phone reboots and gets stuck into the fastboot screen - could this be a corrupted bootloader issue?

Many thanks in advance

Ok, I solved the issue so I'm leaving my answer here, in case someone ever has the same problem.

The problem with SIM lock is that CM doesn't work with the sim unlocking codes.

So to SIM unlock you have to revert to any original/stock firmware, unlock the sim, then you can use a custom firmware.
And SIM unlocking works with roaming... meaning that you don't even have to be in the original country/network to unlock.

Reactions: bafler

metriod

Jun 6, 2011
Ok, I solved the issue so I'm leaving my answer here, in case someone ever has the same problem.

So to SIM unlock you have to revert to any original/stock firmware, unlock the sim, then you can use a custom firmware.
And SIM unlocking works with roaming... meaning that you don't even have to be in the original country/network to unlock.

My Telcel 612F is on original firmware with an orginal sim but when I dial 2945#*612 nothing comes up.
I heard you can flash an unbranded firmware to unlock, but I can't seem to find an unbranded firmware for 612F.

is there a way to unlock this phone?

Reactions: bafler

dobert

Oct 18, 2012
My Telcel 612F is on original firmware with an orginal sim but when I dial 2945#*612 nothing comes up.
I heard you can flash an unbranded firmware to unlock, but I can't seem to find an unbranded firmware for 612F.

Hi

I flashed the firmware from this website - http://lg-phone-firmware.com/index.php?id_mod=12

And it worked like a charm. I used v20A. Also check the code which is 2945#*612# and then the dial button.

Good luck!

Reactions: Bencaa86

metriod

Jun 6, 2011
Hi

I flashed the firmware from this website - http://lg-phone-firmware.com/index.php?id_mod=12

And it worked like a charm. I used v20A. Also check the code which is 2945#*612# and then the dial button.

Good luck!
There are some many 20A verison. just flash the same company as your own cell?

I have a Telcel so do this one? TCL/TELCEL(MEXICO) 20A LGE612F 356.47 MiB 1577

Are all those firmware unbranded, just flash the same company?

Thanks for your help.

dobert

Oct 18, 2012

Thanks for your help.

Hi metriod... that's the one that I've flashed and worked for me. It is branded to Telcel tough, but after sim unlocking you can root and install any mod of your choice.

Last edited:
Reactions: metriod

Bencaa86

Aug 21, 2013
a question

Hi

I flashed the firmware from this website - xxxx://lg-phone-firmware.com/index.php?id_mod=12

Good luck!

A question you got the unlock code from the SIM directly with your carrier or with any app in particular?
Thanks in advance

Una pregunta donde obtuviste el codigo de liberacion de la SIM, directo con tu operador o con alguna app en particular?
De antemano gracias, si no esta bien en ingles, es la traduccion de google :D

bafler

Jan 2, 2011
Guadalajara
Finally it works!!!

This worked for me as well, I spent a whole day triying to fix this issue, aparently THE ONLY WAY THAT THE UNLOCK MENU WILL COME UP is by using the 250 TCL/TELCEL(MEXICO) 20A LGE612F 356.47 MiB firmware.

I wanted also to share some knowledge that I gathered today.

After you flash this firmware, you will not be able to downgrade to any V10XXX.kdz. This includes the one that unlocks the bootloader and enables clockworkmod recovery menu V10D_unlock.kdz. The only way that I´ve found to overcome this was by using a kdz file designed to downgrade, is called V10D_downgrade.kdz that I´ve found over the net. I have a mediafire link but Im not shure if I can post it here.

DO NOT GET SCARED IF YOU CAN NOT GET INTO DOWNLOAD MODE no more (I almost cry), this is also caused by this firmware, instead of pressing vol+ and vol- while connecting to usb, just press vol- and connect the usb cable the use the V10D_downgrade.kdz if you want to downgrade or simply install cyanogen mod.

Regards.

Kim Entity

Jun 13, 2013
La Serena
This worked for me as well, I spent a whole day triying to fix this issue, aparently THE ONLY WAY THAT THE UNLOCK MENU WILL COME UP is by using the 250 TCL/TELCEL(MEXICO) 20A LGE612F 356.47 MiB firmware.

I wanted also to share some knowledge that I gathered today.

After you flash this firmware, you will not be able to downgrade to any V10XXX.kdz. This includes the one that unlocks the bootloader and enables clockworkmod recovery menu V10D_unlock.kdz. The only way that I´ve found to overcome this was by using a kdz file designed to downgrade, is called V10D_downgrade.kdz that I´ve found over the net. I have a mediafire link but Im not shure if I can post it here.

DO NOT GET SCARED IF YOU CAN NOT GET INTO DOWNLOAD MODE no more (I almost cry), this is also caused by this firmware, instead of pressing vol+ and vol- while connecting to usb, just press vol- and connect the usb cable the use the V10D_downgrade.kdz if you want to downgrade or simply install cyanogen mod.

Regards.

I offer a little more knowledge from what bafler said, for someone that can't downgrade the firmware from 4.1.2 original stock v20 to 4.0.3 stock v10, the trick is to root and install both CWM and Bootloader, then install a CM based rom, wait until its finished and booted up, enter in CWM menu and install a v10 baseband patch to downgrade it, see this post http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2275969. Before that patch and doing some full wipes, you can flash the original stock firmware based on ICS with KDZ, using with the phone off Vol+ and Vol-, and connect the USB cable.

Hope it can save someone, was the only method that works for me. So sorry for my english, im from chile. ;)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi,

DEVICE
    Rooted
    Unlocked bootloader
    Installed CWM recovery

PROBLEM IN SHORT

MORE DETAILS

2945#*612#
    2945#*71001#
    2945#*610#

but the dialer returns
    'USSD Code running'
    and finally

Extra data

So my questions are:

Many thanks in advance

Hi

Good luck!
    Hi

Good luck!

Thanks for your help.

Thanks for your help.

Hi metriod... that's the one that I've flashed and worked for me. It is branded to Telcel tough, but after sim unlocking you can root and install any mod of your choice.