[UNMAINTAINED][TOOL][LB][ROOT] Backup TA v9.11 for Windows [20140615]

Search This thread

dragonmhawk

May 17, 2012
Toronto
um the reset button was made for this exact reason. to save the phone from getting bricked. it turns the phone off entirely and gets it able to go into fastboot and whatnot. has helped me many times:)

DevShaft

May 12, 2013
um the reset button was made for this exact reason. to save the phone from getting bricked. it turns the phone off entirely and gets it able to go into fastboot and whatnot. has helped me many times:)
Most of the bricks are soft-bricks. When you can not even enter fastboot or some mode in which you can write to partitions and such, it is a hard-brick. When you have a hard-brick, you can not recover from no matter what and you need to send it in for repair.

Currently the only hard-brick I have seen on a Sony Xperia device is by corrupting the TA partition. All other bricks were soft-bricks. So I'm glad you would like to help, but would you risk your device for maybe nothing? Your choice :).

Last edited:

[NUT]

yes but the zl has a reset button so i can still access flash mode :)

Seriously bro, you are confusing hard and softbrick... If you softbrick due to relocking your phone with this tool and not removing the custom kernel it looks like a hardbrick but it REALLY is not.

Tampering with your TA besides creating and restoring an untampered backup causes a hardbrick and that unless you have either unlimited funds to buy a new phone or access to specialized hardware to remove the flash memory from the motherboard and reflashing it from a pc using special hardware will be IRREVERSIBLE and the reset button will NOT save you from this situation.

Be smart, don't try it unless you are able to say yes to one or both of the above prerequisites...

Sent from my C6603 using xda app-developers app

Last edited:

Groovecain

Sep 10, 2010
I want to relock my xz , so i restore my TA partition then is it already relocked? No need for BLU in Flashtools? Only restore TA Partition ? :p just want to make sure its relocked

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk 4

Last edited:

CiscoX

Sep 24, 2012
Thanks for reply , really help me :D thanks you so much

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk 4

Hi.

It's a good idea to flash back to stock ROM if you don't already have it installed. Using custom ROM is maybe not a good idea when you want to restore your TA. It's written on the OP(Page 1). Just a head up :)

kantry123

May 16, 2012
Delhi-NCR
Hi.

It's a good idea to flash back to stock ROM if you don't already have it installed. Using custom ROM is maybe not a good idea when you want to restore your TA. It's written on the OP(Page 1). Just a head up :)

Rom won't matter much...but it's adviced to be on stock Rom

The main important thing is stock kernel.....
U can use Rom based on stock kernel.... But plz...make sure u r not on custom kernel... Otherwise u can soft brick

Sent from my ST25i using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Groovecain

Sep 10, 2010
Hi.

Rom won't matter much...but it's adviced to be on stock Rom

The main important thing is stock kernel.....
U can use Rom based on stock kernel.... But plz...make sure u r not on custom kernel... Otherwise u can soft brick

Sent from my ST25i using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

yes , before relock i flash back to stock :D ,, after a days i dont see any major improve using custom kernel that really impressed me in xz (even got random reboot), it's already beast , so i revert it to stock , i just want to try 4.3 yesterday , but cant live without Walkman & beautifull sony stock UI :silly:

Last edited:

kantry123

May 16, 2012
Delhi-NCR
hey buddy @DevShaft

a small suggestion for u buddy.....

since most stock roms of all model has no reboot option.....
so how about including it in ur next update ?
it wil be super easy rather than first shutting it down or writing adb reboot:silly:

so.plzz. do consider it if possible

regards
kantry123

Reactions: DevShaft

DevShaft

May 12, 2013
Alright guys and gals, I just uploaded v9.7 of Backup TA :).

This version has a big change when it comes to the partition inspection when it can not find the TA by its name. The tool used to check for two things, your device's serial and the Marlin Certificate. It appeared that the TA does not always have the serial number and not all Sony Xperia devices have the Marlin Certificate.So I removed both from the inspection and added checks of which I am pretty damn sure all Sony Xperia devices have them in the TA. These checks are for: Operator ID, Operator Name, Rooting Status, S1 Boot, S1 Loader and S1 Hardware Configuration. Now its my hope that Backup TA is also compatible for devices like the Sony Xperia Miro and Sony Xperia J.

As always I try to make each version backwards compatible. When this is not the case anymore I will definitely let you know ;).

Backup TA v9.7 (2013-08-18)
==============================
New Features, Improvements
--------------------------
- Added better partition inspection which should be more generic and compatible with Sony Xperia devices.
- Added better serial check by not relying on a serial in the TA partition but store it inside the backup package.
- Added timestamp and version number inside the backup package for later usage.
- Added restart option after a successful backup.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    UNMAINTAINED! See this post

Backup TA for Sony Xperia

Backup TA can backup and restore the TA partition of the device. When you create a backup before unlocking for the first time, then you will be able to restore to full factory state (including a locked bootloader). This means all DRM keys intact, Bravia Engine working in Album and last but not least your warranty when needed :highfive:.

NOTE: When you did create a backup of your device's TA with another tool or Backup TA v4 or earlier, you are able to convert it to a valid Backup TA package by choosing 'Convert TA.img' from the menu. When you've done this you are able to restore it safely.

READ FIRST: At the bottom of this post is the FAQ. Here you will find answers on the most asked questions. Read them before posting any question in this thread. When you want my support, tell me which device and version of Backup TA you're using and attach the complete output. I can not help you without this and besides it's really not so much to ask in return, now is it? No effort without effort.

This tool currently only works under Windows. Mac, Linux, and native Android will be supported in the future. Using this tool is at your own risk.

Downloads
    Changelog
    Source (released under MIT license)

Stable releases do have a version tag like this: v1.0 (example)
    Beta releases do have a version tag like this: v1.0b2 (example).

COMPATIBLE DEVICES
    Sony Xperia Z2
    Sony Xperia Z2 Tablet
    Sony Xperia Z1 Compact
    Sony Xperia Z1
    Sony Xperia Z
    Sony Xperia Z Tablet
    [...]
    All Compatible Devices

GUIDE
    1. Download the latest version of Backup TA.
    2. Extract the ZIP file to a folder location of your choosing.
    3. Navigate to the folder location of Backup TA.
    4. Make sure no other script or application which is using ADB is running.
    5. Make sure the device is booted in normal mode (the way you normally use it).
    6. Run Backup-TA.bat
    7. Read the last paragraph of the license before continuing.
    8. Read the information and follow the instructions given by the tool.

Backup Video Tutorial. Kindly provided by @shem2409:
    FAQ
    Q: Is my device supported?
    A: Look at the supported devices list above this FAQ. When it is not listed, try to make a backup it will tell you if your device is supported.

Q: Do I need root for this?
    A: Yes, you do need root for both backup and restore to work. I would advice to use @DooMLoRD's excellent Easy Rooting Toolkit for this, when not already rooted.

Q: Can I use someone else's backup?
    A: No, this will hard-brick your device.

Q: Can I restore my TA.img file from Backup TA v4 and earlier or another tool?
    A: Yes, choose "Convert TA.img" in the menu.

Q: Does it bring back my DRM keys when I already unlocked my device before making a backup?
    A: Not without a backup of the TA before it was ever unlocked.

Q: Can I restore my TA while running a ROM with a non-stock kernel?
    A: Yes, but it will soft-brick your device and you need Sony PC Companion or Flashtool to fix it by flashing stock firmware. Best is to first return to a complete stock ROM or at least flash a stock kernel (do not confuse with stock based kernel!) before restoring the TA, this prevents the soft-brick.

Q: Will a restore relock the bootloader?
    A: Yes, it will relock the bootloader like it was never unlocked.

Q: What is 'restore dry-run'?
    A: When you do a dry-run restore it will perform a regular restore with the exception that it will not write anything to your device. This is helpful to test a backup without actually restoring it.

Q: What is the correct file size for a backup?
    A: The TA partition size can differ per model, so there is no one answer to this question. You can rest assured that your backup is fine, also in file size, when the tool says the backup was successful.

Q: Why do multiple backups often differ in size?
    A: The TA partition also contains a logging area which changes every time the device boots, which then leads to different compression size per backup file. Nothing to worry about.
    I write this post to inform you that I will not maintain this tool anymore. There are a couple of reasons for this.

Nexus owner
    Since I bought myself the Nexus 5 I have vowed to never buy a non-nexus device (when Nexus is available that is) anymore. Reason for this is the latest updates of Android, the bootloader which can be unlocked and relocked without having to find locked root first and then make a backup of keys or certificates to still have warranty without questions asked. So another Sony device (or any HTC, Samsung, LG, Motorola, etc for that matter) will be highly unlikely for me.

Window 8+
    I got this beautiful Apple Macbook Pro from my work and I almost never touch my Windows machine anymore. On this machine (old one) I can not install Windows 8 or later since it is not compatible. Therefor I am unable to give support to the latest Windows versions.

No time
    I have found some other interesting hobbies I would like to spent my time on. One of them is AI and the other is sports. With that, and my personal life in general, there is no time left to work on projects as these.

Since this project is licensed under MIT, anyone can pick up the maintenance or start their own tool. This thread and their downloads will not be removed, so you can always download the tool for a restore or backup.
    ok another update....somehow i managed to go past usb debugging screen. removed the sony pc companion....installed sony z ultra ADB drivers, reconnected the device and started backup TA. it took a successful backup. then I tried to test the back using the option restore -dry run. but after running that function i came up with this error. now what is this? should i ignore this error?

fwr70o.jpg

For me too.
    I'm Windows 10 user.
    What I can do?

I have tried this on windows 10 64bit, I am pretty sure it'll work on 32 bit too.
    Download the zipped find.exe in the attachment.
    Replace it with "find.exe" in the following directory
    Code:
    Backup-TA-9.11\tools
    tool for win10:good:
    Backup-TA for Sony Xperia Z / ZL

Backup-TA can backup and restore the TA partition of the device. When you create a backup before unlocking for the first time, then you will be able to restore to full factory state. This means all DRM keys intact, Bravia Engine working in Album and last but not least your warranty when needed :highfive:.

READ: At the bottom of this post is the FAQ. Here you will find answers on the most asked questions. Read them before posting any question in this thread. When you post a question which is already answered in the FAQ, I will ignore you and smile :D.

This tool only works under Windows. Mac and Linux will not be supported.

Downloads: https://github.com/DevShaft/Backup-TA/tags
    Source: https://github.com/DevShaft/Backup-TA (release under MIT license)

FAQ
    Q: Do I need root for this?
    A: Yes, you do need root for this to work.

Q: Does it really work?
    A: Really?

Q: Can I use someone else's backup?
    A: No, this will hard-brick your device.

Q: Does it bring back my DRM keys etc. when I already unlocked my device?
    A: Not without a backup of the TA before the initial unlock.

Great that you made a new one, may keep others from uneccesary bricking their devices :thumbup:

A thing for the FAQ would be the softbrick when restoring on other than stock and and that it only works on totally stock, not bringing DRM keys to other ROMs when unlocked.

Skickat från min C6603 via Tapatalk 2