[ROM] TheROM - take it or leave it [stable: build 26 | exp: build 27]

Search This thread

tonyp

Inactive Recognized Developer
Feb 3, 2011
TheROM - take it or leave it

Okay guys, as promised I am sharing the ROM I made for myself to suit my personal needs.

I prefer stability and smoothness over features - so it focuses on some core features I love but isn't overloaded with each and every possible option out there.
All features are carefully and cleanly picked into the ROM without the use of nasty hacks wherever possible.

Please read the FAQ at the end of the first post before using this ROM!

If you appreciate my work on the LG Optimus 2x you can support me by donating!

I am doing this for free in my leisure time because I like working on Android stuff and helping others out.
You're not required to donate, but I highly appreciate a couple free beers or pizzas as a gratidue for my work.

To quote one of the most famous xda developers:
Don't be a leech, buy me a beer (and use the "Thanks" button!). Imagine if every CF-Root user has donated me $1...

I am nowhere near his usercount, but just imagine if every happy (and only those) user of one of my ROMs has donated 5€+.

Important:

Let me explain the "take it or leave it" phrase from the title:
You got two options, either you like the ROM and use it as it is without any complaints, or you don't and use another one.
I made this ROM for myself and am sharing it to you as there's a broad interest.
But I am not interested at all in feature requests, ETA questions, silly bug reports(!), etc. etc.
If I derped something (e.g. a FC within the settings app) you can of course post about it.
But you have to a) do a full wipe and confirm the bug is still there, b) describe your bug in detail, c) post a logcat.
It is the ROM I personally use (or for the CM10.1 version: used), so you can talk about the ROM, but you don't get to ask about any changes.

If we're clear on the rules let's go to the fun part.
This thread is in the general section for a reason. As we're not going to discuss which features this ROM absolutely needs we got a whole thread to our liking.
Which means: It's meme time!

eldnl.jpg

FAQ:

Read the FAQ carefully before asking any questions!

1. Okay, I know you said no feature requests, but I really need [feature xyz]!

how-about-no-bear.jpg

2. Why should I try this ROM?

uploadfromtaptalk1358242696619.jpg

3. I want to try this ROM, can I just flash it and be good to go?

uploadfromtaptalk1358750446460.jpg

4. I have a question..

33364187.jpg

5. New: I have a question regarding bluetooth...

tumblr_maud4xjc5u1qe11kdo1_500.jpg

vert.bmp

6. Listen, I'd like to know if you could ...

357200419_Grumpy_Cat_NO_answer_2_xlarge.jpeg

7. I will donate to you if you include my beloved feature:

gtfo-56265.jpg

8. This is a joke right?

anti-memes-funny_4553826052802422.jpg

9. Really, I just want to know when you're going to release the next update?

16664f99bbdc97fbf3b9564.gif

10. I don't like the way you're doing this thread!

26626-Dr-Cox-Scrubs-Deal-With-It-gif-28mg.gif

Last edited:

tonyp

Feb 3, 2011
TheROM

Okay, this ROM comes in two versions. CM10.1 and CM10.2 based.

The former is based on my work on CM10.1.
The latter is based on my work-in-progress CM10.2.

If you're new to the LG 2x then you should check both linked threads and read about the differences, bugs and features of these ROMs.
I just don't see a reason to have two threads for this ROM, thus I'm merging them together in here.

The CM10.1 ROM is deprecated, it's been the ROM I've been using until I made the switch to CM10.2.
I just share it here for those of you who might prefer it. So don't expect any further updates.

FEATURES / INFORMATION:

Only features I made or ported are listed here, nothing that's already in CM.

• TheROM CM10.2:
    • Hybrid Engine (per app dpi / layout)
    • Halo 2.0
    • Additional hardwarebutton customizations
      (like Screen off, open Torch, Power menu etc.)
    • Notification Brightness slider
    • Center Clock option
    • Text-only battery style
    • PreferenceDrawer in the Settings
    • Custom Carrier text
    • Advanced low battery options
    • My memory management option
    • Fixed performance menu for Tegra2
    • Option for all home screen widgets on the lockscren
    • notification drawer background & transparency
    • standard softkey vibration lowered
    • ships with the awesome kowalski kernel by pengus77
    • comes with my non-neon compatible mini gapps package
    • Option to use the external storage as default one
    • comes with bluedroid which means speedup bug and no BT phone calls possible
      If I find some time I might try to include bluez, but right now I don't and bluedroid will stay in until further notice.
    • App Ops option in the settings (with PAs changes)
    • based on the newest CM10.2 sources
    • and loads of small stuff here and there I forgot to list

• Differences in the depracted CM10.1-based version:
    • comes with an older Halo version (1.0)
    • ships a couple more hardwarebutton customizations (esp. custom app)
    • comes with bluez and is compiled with GCC 4.7 which means a) no speedup bug but therefore b) no BT phone calls
    • based on CM10.1.2 stable + custom picks of the nightlies

Download:
  • Get the ROMs here:
    http://tonyp.basketbuild.com/index.php?dir=main/TheROM/
    All ROMs are for the newbl - if you're using the oldbl use the converter (or wait for someone to upload the converted build).
    Kowalski Kernel M1 rh and my non-neon compatible mini gapps are included.

Installation instructions:
  • CM10.2 (coming from another ROM than my CM10.2):
    Do a full wipe. Do another reboot after the first boot. Don't *****.

• CM10.1 (coming from another ROM than my CM10.1):
    Do a full wipe!

• Updating to a newer TheROM build:
    Flash the ROM. Reboot. No wipes needed.
    Do not update from any CM10.1 ROM to CM10.2 (full wipe it is!)

Known Bugs:
Do not ask about features on the known bugs list. They're known, there's no need for a reminder.
  • all CM bugs (no HDMI rotation etc.) are present - check the CM10.1 / CM10.2 threads for more details
    This especially means that on CM10.2 bluetooth calls are not working!!
    If this is a dealbreaker for you: move to a ICS / CM10 or my CM10.1 t-build ROM!
    See this post for more details regarding the bluetooth situation.

• Hybrid Engine: Sometimes changing the system dpi will produce a small layout error (an empty line below the statusbar).
    Just do a reboot and it's gone :)

Last edited:

tonyp

Feb 3, 2011

Credits:
  • TheROM contains features from the following ROMs.
    I either ported them myself or rewrote them based on their inspiration:
    • CyanogenMod
      [*]ParanoidAndroid
      [*]Jellybeer
      [*]SlimBean
      [*]ChameleonOS
      [*]PAC-man

• A special thanks to these people:
    • pengus77 for his awesome kernel
    • arcee for his work on CM7 - CM10.1
    • spyrosk for the bootloader converter (and AIO toolkit)
    • all the guys helping out in the threads (which are too many to list)

• Thanks for the people who provide me with buildbox access and free hosters:
    • xda
    • Korumera (xdafileserver.nl)
    • basketbuild
    • vadonka
    • goo.im

Last edited:

echo_21

Aug 18, 2013
Hamburg
This Known Issues List

• should prevent one-liner finding reports related to already known issues
  • should keep later disappointment from end-users of tonyp's theROM and clean CM 10.2
  • defines an everlasting unique identifier for each known issue. Use the identifier for simplified unambiguous communication. Please write e.g. "issue #2" if you want to refer to the silent blue-tooth call bug
  • should show possible workarounds, or, even better, should motivate discussions to fix the issue.
  • should neither let you imply that the issue will be fixed soon, nor that it is fixable at all! It is technically really hard to analyze, find and fix the root cause. Please never ask for an ETA! The community is aware of, and is of cause already unhappy (see e.g. this post) about these known issues.
  • will not cover issues that exist in only 1 or 2 intermediate builds of theROM and that are already fixed in the latest build. Please also consult change log by @tr@p

Known Issues List as of 2013/12/28 (theROM build 22-26 resp. clean CM10.2 incl. 2013-12-13):
  1. HDMI doesn't work
    • Workaround: use stock LG GB ROM (I don't know whether stock LG ICS works)
  2. Calls from BT headset connect but are silent for caller and callee
  3. Mobile data counting doesn't work (blue arrows on mobile data indicator don't appear; e.g. Avast shows error message)
  4. Stock camera
    1. takes heavily over-exposed pics with flash
      • Workaround: tap the screen first before you click the camera fire button; this will correct exposure parameters
    2. crashes often, or produces crashes of Trebuchet and gallery
      • Workaround 1: use e.g. cam app ported for CM10.1 by feav; it provides also features like panorama pix missing in the stock cam
      • Workaround 2 (not fully proven): flash the gallery.apk from build 23; some say the stock cam works without crashes then
  5. BT media playback speeds up after minutes to hours.
    • Fix: at least fixed in build 22 (I dont't remember the exact build)
  6. Some apps (e.g. Candy Crush) crash with the KK in the RAM hack version
  7. Slow GPS fix. Cause: missing file \data\gps\lto.dat that is up to date too.
  8. Long lags after heavy filling and emptying the flash memory. Reboot does not help
  9. Mobile data mode keeps being disabled when switching airplane mode off
    • Workaround: either disable and re-enable data or toggle 2g/3g twice. In some rare cases these workarounds won't work and a reboot is needed
    • Root cause: yet unknown
  10. Current time shown is that for GMT time zone instead of for your local timezone. Time shift is always in full hours.
    • Workaround 1: Reboot; normally this restores correct time display.
    • Workaround 2: Disable automatic time sync and install a time sync app
    • Workaround 3: If you'd like to keep using automatic time you should add "telephony.test.ignore.nitz=true" to your build.prop
    • Discussion: post2, topic #3 in post1
  11. Some apps always crash under theROM and they also don't work on stock ICS on P990. Some of such seem to be Viber, Instagram, etc.
    • Request: please report as soon as the app started working correction on a new theROM build.
    • Recommendation 1: Search in this thread if your app is known to be incompatible with theROM
    • Recommendation 2: Search the internet if your app is known to be incompatible with stock ICS on P990
    • Recommendation 3: Try your app on P990 under stock ICS
    • Rule: never post problems with your app in this thread if its incompatibility to theROM or ICS on P990 is already known!
    • Recommendation 4: Ask the author of your app for help
    • Workaround: Use your app on P990 under stock ICS, or on another phone. (sorry for bad news!)
    • Root cause: potentially missing NEON support by P990; many others possible
  12. no FM radio
note: theROM builds from version 27 ship Kowalski Kernel 3.1 (instead of KK 2.6 M1). As this might solve old known issues and might bring new ones I decided to archive and hide the above list for builds up to version 26. The below list for build version from 27 starts as a 1:1 copy of the above. As I am not on build 27 yet, I am not able to bring in my own experience. Additionally I don't have the time to read and evaluate all posts regarding build 27+. Please notify me for necessary corrections and additions of the below list.

Known Issues List as of 2013/12/28 (theROM build from 27):
  1. HDMI doesn't work
    • Workaround: use stock LG GB ROM (I don't know whether stock LG ICS works)
  2. Calls from BT headset connect but are silent for caller and callee
  3. Mobile data counting doesn't work (blue arrows on mobile data indicator don't appear; e.g. Avast shows error message)
  4. Stock camera
    1. takes heavily over-exposed pics with flash
      • Workaround: tap the screen first before you click the camera fire button; this will correct exposure parameters
    2. crashes often, or produces crashes of Trebuchet and gallery
      • Workaround 1: use e.g. cam app ported for CM10.1 by feav; it provides also features like panorama pix missing in the stock cam
      • Workaround 2 (not fully proven): flash the gallery.apk from build 23; some say the stock cam works without crashes then
  5. BT media playback speeds up after minutes to hours.
    • Fix: at least fixed in build 22 (I dont't remember the exact build)
  6. Some apps (e.g. Candy Crush) crash with the KK in the RAM hack version
  7. Slow GPS fix. Cause: missing file \data\gps\lto.dat that is up to date too.
  8. Long lags after heavy filling and emptying the flash memory. Reboot does not help
  9. Mobile data mode keeps being disabled when switching airplane mode off
    • Workaround: either disable and re-enable data or toggle 2g/3g twice. In some rare cases these workarounds won't work and a reboot is needed
  10. Current time shown is that for GMT time zone instead of for your local timezone. Time shift is always in full hours.
    • Workaround 1: Reboot; normally this restores correct time display.
    • Workaround 2: Disable automatic time sync and install a time sync app
    • Workaround 3: If you'd like to keep using automatic time you should add "telephony.test.ignore.nitz=true" to your build.prop
    • Discussion: post2, topic #3 in post1
  11. Some apps always crash under theROM and they also don't work on stock ICS on P990. Some of such seem to be Viber, Instagram, etc.
    • Request: please report as soon as the app started working correction on a new theROM build.
    • Recommendation 1: Search in this thread if your app is known to be incompatible with theROM
    • Recommendation 2: Search the internet if your app is known to be incompatible with stock ICS on P990
    • Recommendation 3: Try your app on P990 under stock ICS
    • Rule: never post problems with your app in this thread if its incompatibility to theROM or ICS on P990 is already known!
    • Recommendation 4: Ask the author of your app for help
    • Workaround: Use your app on P990 under stock ICS, or on another phone. (sorry for bad news!)
    • Root cause: potentially missing NEON support by P990; many others possible
  12. no FM radio

Consider not flashing theROM in case you can't live with one or more of the listed open issues.

Please report any ideas, how to further analyze or fix the issue. Or please provide better workarounds.

The above list is to my best knowledge. I can neither guarantee it is correct nor it is complete. Please help to improve it.

Every bug is an issue. But there might be issues not caused by bugs (= errors in source code).

Last edited:

tr@p

Jun 18, 2010
Zagreb
Changelog TheROM - take it or leave it

Changelog build 27:
  • Ships with the awesome kk 3.1 bcmdhd alpha 15 by @pengus77.
    Big thanks to @hjunii - without him this wouldn't be possible.
  • added option & quicksettings tile to enable/disable Halo
  • reverted my netd tethering hacks, they were bcm4329 specific.
    I do not know if tethering works with bcmdhd, yet - feedback required
  • re-enabled wifi optimizations by default (they were incompatible with bcm4329, so i had disabled them)
    in case you notice any problems (which you shouldn't) go to settings - wifi - advanced and untick it.

Changelog build 26:

Changelog build25:
  • fixed Stock Camera
    cyanogen has merged in some Features which our camera blobs don't support anyways, so I've rolled them back
  • merged upstream
    I believe this should fix the ThemeChooser some people posted here, at least I've seen a commit regarding that on Gerrit.
    Please provide feedback.

Changelog build 24:
  • fixed the brightnessslider to only show when enabled
  • merged CM10.2 RC1
  • ships with a customized KowalskiManager by @wfd which automatically enabled auto hotplug as well

Changelog build 23:
  • added auto downloading the lto.dat file (for gps assistion data). Hopefully this brings up GPS back to the CM10.1 standards (at least after the first fix aka TTFF).
    It's enabled by default, but will only update the file via WiFi by default (check the new option at Settings - Location access)

• Properly enabled GPU accelleration.
    I've found out that our device didn't fully utilize hardware accelleration. The reason is our low RAM - and enabling hwa takes about 8mb.
    But with a GPU as powerful as ours I think those 8mb are well spent, we'll see how it turns out, make sure to post feedback.
    In a first quick test the UI does seem more responsive.
    Note that this is NOT equal to the "Force GPU rendering" option in the developer section! This one should stay off, as apps that for various reasons do not use GPU rendering shouldn't get forced into it.

• enabled 2nd core auto hotplug by default. This will hopefully get rid of the plug-in BSODs of people not reading the threads (and thus not enabling the option at the KowalskiManager).

• updated Torch overlay (this does hopefully fix the missing torch widgets some people had - please post feedback)

• updated the OpenGL version. I have no idea how and if we'll notice that.
    Thanks @DJNoXD for sending me a pull request.

• removed the CMUpdater which slipped in under my nose.

• I've slapped in a new more generic bootanimation, courtecy of +Dima Skvarskyi

Changelog build 22:
  • -Os buildflag optimizations
    (smaller modules loaded into the RAM means more free RAM available to the phone)
  • synced to CM10.2-M1

Changelog build 21:
  • merged upstream
    (3 weeks of CM10.2 patches and updates - didn't particularly check them, if you notice something new post it here)
  • included Google Maps (v7.3.0) by default
    (as Google removed Tegra2 compatibilty for v7.0+)
  • reverted the Camera Wrapper for now, I am not convinced about it's usefulness and want to try it without for some time again.

Changelog build 20:

It's mostly identical to build 19, I just merged upstream and included the new translations (see below).

A couple days ago I read a tip somewhere to use -Os instead of -O2 when compiling arm modules.
So I just made another exp build to try this - you can find it labeled as "exp opt" (experimental optimization) in the download directory.

In theory the exp build should have a slightly worse performance (if noticable at all) but more free RAM which could help our low RAM phone (if noticeable at all).

Oh and I've included the translations I got sent (Spanish, French, Russian, Portuguese BR & PT):
https://github.com/tonyp/TheROM-translations/commits/master

Changelog build 19:

It's basically an upstream merge - but CM fixed the Camera image being "stuck" after taking a photo, which is the last bug that I wanted to see fixed before calling it the next stable.

Changelog build 18:

• Quickmemo support
    As @Firtecy already posted he fixed the Quickmemo apk to work with CM10.2.
    Thus I re-added the Quickmemo support into the framework.
    I've recoded it with a better, adaptive implementation. Now you'll only have the Quickmemo entry in the Buttons settings when Quickmemo is actually installed - if not it will be completely hidden.
    Flashable zip download here: http://tonyp.basketbuild.com/index.php?dir=main/TheROM/addons/
    To open it you got two options: press vol- and vol+ simultaneously or assign the button at Settings - Buttons.

• added a new bootanimation.
    Thanks to @vviper for creating it!

• replaced statusbar icons with the one from PA (which are a little lighter)

• removed the Statusbar Transparency "always" option

• Settings - buttons FC fix + another minor memory leak fix + merged upstream

Changelog build 17:
  • Network Location Toggle
  • Custom System Animations
  • Fixed a bunch of FCs & brought back Storage Settings content
  • merged upstream (Camera Launcher QS Tile etc.)

Changelog build 16:
  • removed ActiveDisplay again
  • disabled listview animation by default
    You can turn it on at Settings - TheROM. I think they're quite fun to play around with!
  • merged upstream fixes

Changelog build 15:
  • Statusbar Transparency

• Active Display re-added (I've disabled the proximity sensor properly now - it only gets used in the pocket mode now)
    Still this does drain some battery when you get lots of Notifications. I'll look into creating a widget to toggle it on and off.

• ListView animations
    To show off and for the lulz it's enabled by default - you can disable (or change) it at TheROM settings.

• I've added a a quick option to the Notification Drawer style options to restart the SystemUI.
    I've been annoyed by the fact that I either had to reboot or use an external app.

• changed default dpi to 213
    (you can change back to the stock 240 at TheROM settings - hybrid)

• merged upstream
    (but removed the CMAccount, me no likey)

Changelog build 14:
  • Implemented the RIL_UNSOL_LGE_RESTART_RILD response.
    This has been reported as missing by @gios_ some time ago here.
    I'm not sure if the implementation is correct, I've adaptoed it from the P880.
    We'll have to test and see if it changes anything for those who still have data drops every now and then (for me they seem fixed since kk 126).
    (Note: This isn't related to the no signal after airplane mode bug, which you usually can solve easily by double tapping data in the QuickSettings (= disable and enable it)).

• Replaced PerformanceControl with the KernelControl app by @Beene.
    If you encounter any bugs make sure to report them to him and post your feedback about the app in his thread.

• Merged upstream.
    One of the changes is the integration of CMs PrivacyGuard into App Ops - called Privacy Guard 2.0.
    You'll find it at Settings - Security - Privacy Guard.
    Unfortunately the longpress on an item (where you could fine tune your settings in theory) isn't working yet (FCs), will get fixed soon.

Update: here is an updated Settings.apk which will solve the FC for those who need access to App Ops.
    Needs to be pushed to /system/app. Then longpress the app in the Privacy Guard options.

Changelog build 13:
  • removed Active Display for now
    (fixes the battery drain)

Changelog build 12:
  • cleaned some commits, especially Active Display
    It works as expected for me - hopefully now for everyone else as well.
    Additionally it's a "make clean" build, I assume the android version update broke something here in the last one.
  • fixed some logspamming
  • I've discovered a minor bug in the Processor settings in the Performance menu.
    Thus I disabled it - to compensate it I included an updated PerformanceControl app again, which gots some decent additions compared to the old version
  • I removed ViPER FX again as I discovered you can just get it from the PlayStore
    Don't worry, it'll be in English once you install it
  • restructured the TheROM Settings. I've got a PM from someone who wanted to translate it to other languages, this makes it easier.
    You can download the strings here
    After translating the file move it into the correct subfolder for your language and post it here, then I'll include it.
Changelog build 11:
I got great news. I don't know if someone remembers, but ages ago in my PA ROM I had experimented with hacking the framework and changed some ADJ values to protect the launcher from redrawing.
One shouldn't just change the values (that's what the SuperCharger does), as that would break androids default memory management, thus I re-arrenged the code in the ActivityManagerService to reflect those changes back then.
I just had a look at my old code and figured out a way better and way cleaner method to hook into that.
I've just compiled my testbuild and it seems to work. It's not yet ready, just a test if my theoretical concept works.
I want to introduce an option for that, where you can control the intensity. By the end of next week I will have a bit more time, then I'll expose an option in the settings.
My current idea is to call it "Prevent launcher redraws" with the levels "disabled", "moderate", "needtothinkofsomething" and "extreme".
Currently extreme is hardcoded.

I've uploaded the build to my TheROM folder if anyone wants to try it out. Please give feedback if you notice an improvement.
With extreme it'll be quite hard to get it killed, as only perceptible apps (like playing music) will be more important.
I've switched around between Google+, Boat Browser and the Reader+ app and I didn't manage to kill the launcher :)
Edit: good, opening webpages with loads of images in the browser does kill the launcher. We don't want to have it unkillable (keep in memory), when the system needs the ram it should be possible to get it.

It's a lot cleaner than the hacky way the Supercharger does to accomplish the same goal.
The supercharger hacks into the framework and changes the ADJ values directly - unfortunately these are directly accessed in the ActivityManagerService.java which causes some unwanted sideeffects with the default android memory management.
I'm just modifing the ADJ value at runtime.

Additionally what I really don't like with the Supercharger: It's prioritizing the Launcher above perceptible and even visible apps.
Killing the music player while listening to music or killing visible elements instead of the launcher when the system needs memory? That's insane imo.
To prevent confusion: visible apps are not identical to the foreground app - but could be some elements visible behind an overlay. Would still look bad if those suddenly dissappear.

Edit: I've decided to just brand it as build 11.
Additional changelog: Android 4.3 JLS36G merged
Changelog build 10:
- added Active Display options from ChameleonOS
- added notification drawer background options and transparency (requires a reboot to apply)
- QuickSettings: option to open the apps in floating mode ("in Halo") on longpress
- RAM usage circle on recent apps
- cherrypicked some memory leak fixes from various sources
- fixed some FCs
- fixed (?) the Trebuchet FCs (at least I can activate the searchbar again)
- merged upstream

Changelog build 09:
Based on the idea of alok.tari clicking the clock in the statusbar dropdown will open Timely if it's installed.
(Longpressing it will always open the clock app you set as default).

Then I reverted the dalvik low memory initializing, I suspect that to be related to some of the slowdowns. The system will use ~6mb more RAM again, but it might be worth it, we'll see.

Additionally I merged upstream of course - I've seen some fixes for headset plug-in (which fixes a bug if you don't have a music player app installed) and Trebuchet, I guess these will fix the issues reported here.
I will say it again: CM10.2 is in nightly status - which means there will be bugs every now and then in the sources.
Let's hope CM will try to build stable releases soon again, as soon as those are out the amount of new bugs will decrease.
I won't have the time to look into individual issues up until the end of this month.
I just quickly made this build for myself (and am sharing it here with you).

Changelog build 08:
- new options for Halo (ninja mode, ping etc.)
- ViPER FX replaces DSPManager
- back to the ramhack kernel (M1) - I just missed the additional RAM it gives which results in more Launcher redraws etc.
- Cyanogenmod account (check CMs G+ page for details)
- Trebuchet: Support for custom icons per shortcut
- merged upstream

Changelog build 07:
- notification sound bug fix while playing media
- enabled backlight button brightness options at Settings -> Buttons
- reverted gps.tegra.so to the one official CM10 and CM10.1 use (this fixes all GPS problems for me)
- included Kowalski M1 norh kernel
- merged upstream (loads of bugfixes from CM)

Last but not least I tried something highly experimental - I decreased(!) the playback buffer as I want to know if this has an impact on A2DP playback.
Unfortunately I don't have my BT headset at hand, so you guys need to test it.
> Is BT audio (listening to mp3s) still working?
> Does the audio still speed-up?
Additionally I added some missing bluetooth configurations which might or might not increase it's stability.

Changelog build 06:
Gosh I just hate bugs, so I just had to push out a quick fixup build ;)
I fixed the SystemUI FCs (this has been a bit nasty!), the Bluetooth share FC after booting and @Firtecy fixed his disappearing brightnessslider after rebooting.
(you can push the Bluetooth.apk to the clean CM10.2 ROM to fix the bluetooth share FC there as well).

Changelog build 05:
I've added the Notification BrightnessSlider, ported by @Firtecy (thx!).

Additionally some other small fixes I stumbled across + I removed the QuickMemo option again for now - it only works for CM10 and CM10.1 until someone ports it.

Changelog build 04:
  • I've added the following hardwarekeys button actions to the ROM:
    - Screen off
    - Open Power menu
    - Toggle Last app
    - Toggle Torch
    - Take Screenshot
    - Quickmemo (this is optional, you need to use my Quickmemo installer)

The CM10.1 ROM had some more options (like custom app, re-assign the back key), but that would have required more work and time than I can currently spend).
    The important ones are in now (I consider Torch and Powermenu/Screen off extremely useful).
    Oh and in CM10.2 you got the sweet "double tap home action".

• Google keyboard updated to v1.1

• Trebuchet loosing icons should be fixed

Changelog build 03:
  • Hybrid Engine \o/
  • Focal removed - it's buggy and takes 12mb of space
    Extract it from my CM10.2 ROM if you need it
  • Donation menu moved to the buttom to get it out of the way
  • Some new stuff for Trebuchet , including the option to use icon packs
    Oh and the apk now takes about 6 instead of the former 12mb :)
  • Some small fixes here and there

Changelog build 02:
I have pushed a small bugfixing update online: cm-10.2-TheROM-20130826.2-tonyp.zip
I just did some quick workarounds which certainly isn't perfect, but fixes the FCs for now:

1.) I removed the SetupWizard.apk. The PreferenceDrawer Settings app is causing problems with it. I will fix it properly when I find the time, but the Wizard isn't really needed anyways.
You will just have to manually go to Settings - Accounts and add your Google account now after a full wipe.

2.) I have removed the two SDCards from the storage menu (it now only contains the option to use the external SD as default one).
I tried some quick fixes but they didn't work and I really gtg, so this will do for now. Again I will properly fix it when I get more time.
If you absolutely need access to the menu for something (although I don't know what this could be) you should be able to use the Settings.apk from my CM10.2 build for that.

I've hidden old changelogs to shorten the post. You have link to every original post/changelog from tonyp...

Last edited:

harucrux

Dec 21, 2012
every day you bring us to new exciting..many many thank to you @tonyp..your rom is priority for me
P/s:a question.do any plan gapps 4.3 which google now working ?

Google now works in every ROM he puts out, I found that when you restore your apps your have to let everything instal [including google play services], uninstall google now and reinstall and it should work.

Reactions: buidoisctn

ullekh99

Jul 14, 2012
Mumbai
Just couldn't stop laughing reading the FAQ :D
An awesome Rom and an awesome thread.
Thanks a lot for your hard work, we really appreciate it:thumbup::):beer:
Sent from my HTC One using xda app-developers app

PYCON

Nov 1, 2006
Thx 4 all Tonyp ! Downloading now... :p

EDIT : is possible to update from CM 10.2 by Tonyp 20130824.1 ???

Last edited:

mandoku

Jan 20, 2013
Where will you post changelog from now on since there are like 5 topics? i see new build but cant find changelog?
thanks

packyman

Jul 12, 2011
germany
sad to be the onliest guy, which have settings error crash after install.
I can't expect any help from TonyP (I can understand), anyone can help of the other users?
I do full wipe, install cm10.2 version, boot, the first I do is a reboot, and after next boot I choosed the language eng (us) and ok. then I got everytime settings error. then crash to language chooser......

all good now!

Last edited:
Reactions: nguyenletuquynh

PYCON

Nov 1, 2006
sad to be the onliest guy, which have settings error crash after install.
I can't expect any help from TonyP (I can understand), anyone can help of the other users?
I do full wipe, install cm10.2 version, boot, the first I do is a reboot, and after next boot I choosed the language eng (us) and ok. then I got everytime settings error. then crash to language chooser......

Try 4 WIPES ! ;)

Wipe Cache + Wipe Davilk + Wipe Data ( Factory ) + Wipe System ( Rom ).

Flash THE ROM e retry... ;)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    TheROM - take it or leave it

Okay guys, as promised I am sharing the ROM I made for myself to suit my personal needs.

I prefer stability and smoothness over features - so it focuses on some core features I love but isn't overloaded with each and every possible option out there.
    All features are carefully and cleanly picked into the ROM without the use of nasty hacks wherever possible.

Please read the FAQ at the end of the first post before using this ROM!

If you appreciate my work on the LG Optimus 2x you can support me by donating!

I am doing this for free in my leisure time because I like working on Android stuff and helping others out.
    You're not required to donate, but I highly appreciate a couple free beers or pizzas as a gratidue for my work.

To quote one of the most famous xda developers:
    Don't be a leech, buy me a beer (and use the "Thanks" button!). Imagine if every CF-Root user has donated me $1...

I am nowhere near his usercount, but just imagine if every happy (and only those) user of one of my ROMs has donated 5€+.

Important:

Let me explain the "take it or leave it" phrase from the title:
    You got two options, either you like the ROM and use it as it is without any complaints, or you don't and use another one.
    I made this ROM for myself and am sharing it to you as there's a broad interest.
    But I am not interested at all in feature requests, ETA questions, silly bug reports(!), etc. etc.
    If I derped something (e.g. a FC within the settings app) you can of course post about it.
    But you have to a) do a full wipe and confirm the bug is still there, b) describe your bug in detail, c) post a logcat.
    It is the ROM I personally use (or for the CM10.1 version: used), so you can talk about the ROM, but you don't get to ask about any changes.

If we're clear on the rules let's go to the fun part.
    This thread is in the general section for a reason. As we're not going to discuss which features this ROM absolutely needs we got a whole thread to our liking.
    Which means: It's meme time!

eldnl.jpg

FAQ:

Read the FAQ carefully before asking any questions!

1. Okay, I know you said no feature requests, but I really need [feature xyz]!

how-about-no-bear.jpg

2. Why should I try this ROM?

uploadfromtaptalk1358242696619.jpg

3. I want to try this ROM, can I just flash it and be good to go?

uploadfromtaptalk1358750446460.jpg

4. I have a question..

33364187.jpg

5. New: I have a question regarding bluetooth...

tumblr_maud4xjc5u1qe11kdo1_500.jpg

vert.bmp

6. Listen, I'd like to know if you could ...

357200419_Grumpy_Cat_NO_answer_2_xlarge.jpeg

7. I will donate to you if you include my beloved feature:

gtfo-56265.jpg

8. This is a joke right?

anti-memes-funny_4553826052802422.jpg

9. Really, I just want to know when you're going to release the next update?

16664f99bbdc97fbf3b9564.gif

10. I don't like the way you're doing this thread!

26626-Dr-Cox-Scrubs-Deal-With-It-gif-28mg.gif
    TheROM

Okay, this ROM comes in two versions. CM10.1 and CM10.2 based.

The former is based on my work on CM10.1.
    The latter is based on my work-in-progress CM10.2.

If you're new to the LG 2x then you should check both linked threads and read about the differences, bugs and features of these ROMs.
    I just don't see a reason to have two threads for this ROM, thus I'm merging them together in here.

The CM10.1 ROM is deprecated, it's been the ROM I've been using until I made the switch to CM10.2.
    I just share it here for those of you who might prefer it. So don't expect any further updates.

FEATURES / INFORMATION:

Only features I made or ported are listed here, nothing that's already in CM.

• TheROM CM10.2:
      • Hybrid Engine (per app dpi / layout)
      • Halo 2.0
      • Additional hardwarebutton customizations
        (like Screen off, open Torch, Power menu etc.)
      • Notification Brightness slider
      • Center Clock option
      • Text-only battery style
      • PreferenceDrawer in the Settings
      • Custom Carrier text
      • Advanced low battery options
      • My memory management option
      • Fixed performance menu for Tegra2
      • Option for all home screen widgets on the lockscren
      • notification drawer background & transparency
      • standard softkey vibration lowered
      • ships with the awesome kowalski kernel by pengus77
      • comes with my non-neon compatible mini gapps package
      • Option to use the external storage as default one
      • comes with bluedroid which means speedup bug and no BT phone calls possible
        If I find some time I might try to include bluez, but right now I don't and bluedroid will stay in until further notice.
      • App Ops option in the settings (with PAs changes)
      • based on the newest CM10.2 sources
      • and loads of small stuff here and there I forgot to list

• Differences in the depracted CM10.1-based version:
      • comes with an older Halo version (1.0)
      • ships a couple more hardwarebutton customizations (esp. custom app)
      • comes with bluez and is compiled with GCC 4.7 which means a) no speedup bug but therefore b) no BT phone calls
      • based on CM10.1.2 stable + custom picks of the nightlies

Download:
    • Get the ROMs here:
      http://tonyp.basketbuild.com/index.php?dir=main/TheROM/
      All ROMs are for the newbl - if you're using the oldbl use the converter (or wait for someone to upload the converted build).
      Kowalski Kernel M1 rh and my non-neon compatible mini gapps are included.

Installation instructions:
    • CM10.2 (coming from another ROM than my CM10.2):
      Do a full wipe. Do another reboot after the first boot. Don't *****.

• CM10.1 (coming from another ROM than my CM10.1):
      Do a full wipe!

• Updating to a newer TheROM build:
      Flash the ROM. Reboot. No wipes needed.
      Do not update from any CM10.1 ROM to CM10.2 (full wipe it is!)

Known Bugs:
    Do not ask about features on the known bugs list. They're known, there's no need for a reminder.
    • all CM bugs (no HDMI rotation etc.) are present - check the CM10.1 / CM10.2 threads for more details
      This especially means that on CM10.2 bluetooth calls are not working!!
      If this is a dealbreaker for you: move to a ICS / CM10 or my CM10.1 t-build ROM!
      See this post for more details regarding the bluetooth situation.

• Hybrid Engine: Sometimes changing the system dpi will produce a small layout error (an empty line below the statusbar).
      Just do a reboot and it's gone :)
    build 26

For those of you who haven't read the news, CM has released their CM10.2.0 stable. CM10.2 has now reached it's final version and will only get important security updates but no new features.
    They're fully moving on to CM11 now.

Thus I've created another build where I merged in all the new fixes.

Changelog:

As always, please provide feedback. I didn't notice any issues so far.

For those of you interested in other ROMs of mine:
    • I've already updated my sources for the clean CM10.2 ROM, as soon as I get enough feedback that everything works on build 26 as intended I'm going to compile and release it as well.

• A CM11 ROM which is anywhere near stable is still far away. Some of you have seen my CM11 testbuilds at basketbuild, that's the current state of things, they're highly unstable and noway near a daily driver.
      They already show some of the great improvements to expect from Android 4.4, especially the much improved RAM situation (the amount of free RAM on the 20131202 build I've been using is insane for P990 standards), but it's a long way to go.
      But please don't discuss CM11 in this thread, I'm only posting this to answer the questions I've already got regarding my builds on basketbuild.
      Last but not least: I'll say it again, it's highly unlikely you'll see an official CM11 release from me without an updated 3.1 kernel by @pengus77 (which I do not have any new progress information on).

Credits:
    • TheROM contains features from the following ROMs.
      I either ported them myself or rewrote them based on their inspiration:
      • CyanogenMod
        [*]ParanoidAndroid
        [*]Jellybeer
        [*]SlimBean
        [*]ChameleonOS
        [*]PAC-man

• A special thanks to these people:
      • pengus77 for his awesome kernel
      • arcee for his work on CM7 - CM10.1
      • spyrosk for the bootloader converter (and AIO toolkit)
      • all the guys helping out in the threads (which are too many to list)

• Thanks for the people who provide me with buildbox access and free hosters:
      • xda
      • Korumera (xdafileserver.nl)
      • basketbuild
      • vadonka
      • goo.im

build 23

The goo.im build server had some issues as well (Murphys Law..) and the xda one still isn't fixed, but at least the former seems to have sorted them out (although it's slow as hell).
    So great news, a new build is up with quite the changes (and thus will hopefully answer the fearful PMs I got if I am about to deprecate the 2x because I got the N5 - I will not!).

Changelog:
    • added auto downloading the lto.dat file (for gps assistion data). Hopefully this brings up GPS back to the CM10.1 standards (at least after the first fix aka TTFF).
      It's enabled by default, but will only update the file via WiFi by default (check the new option at Settings - Location access)

• Properly enabled GPU accelleration.
      I've found out that our device didn't fully utilize hardware accelleration. The reason is our low RAM - and enabling hwa takes about 8mb.
      But with a GPU as powerful as ours I think those 8mb are well spent, we'll see how it turns out, make sure to post feedback.
      In a first quick test the UI does seem more responsive.
      Note that this is NOT equal to the "Force GPU rendering" option in the developer section! This one should stay off, as apps that for various reasons do not use GPU rendering shouldn't get forced into it.

• enabled 2nd core auto hotplug by default. This will hopefully get rid of the plug-in BSODs of people not reading the threads (and thus not enabling the option at the KowalskiManager).

• updated Torch overlay (this does hopefully fix the missing torch widgets some people had - please post feedback)

• updated the OpenGL version. I have no idea how and if we'll notice that.
      Thanks @DJNoXD for sending me a pull request.

• removed the CMUpdater which slipped in under my nose.

• I've slapped in a new more generic bootanimation, courtecy of +Dima Skvarskyi

Please make sure to post extensive feedback, if it's positive I'd like to up the stable version to this or the next one, as there are now massive changes compared to the current build 20 :)
    As always, as soon as everything has been tested it will go into a new clean CM10.2 build as well (no experiments to be done there).