LG G2 delightful discoveries

Search This thread

MobileNick

Jan 12, 2011
Portland, OR
Found something else cool just now. I use my phone as my primary alarm clock and am a little OCD about knowing the next alarm time. The G2 shows the alarm time in the lock screen with shortcuts but not when the PIN lock is enabled. Then you just see a clock with the day/date. From the PIN lock screen you can swipe left to add widgets and add one that includes the next alarm time to the lock screen. Long pressing on this gives you the ability to swap with the "main" widget, and now I always get the alarm time on the PIN lock screen! :) Of course, the time-out-screen already shows the next alarm time so now I get it twice on the same screen but that's okay with me! :D

shaungregg

Jan 6, 2011
This is such a tiny thing but when you click on a theme to select it and it says cancel or apply, you can swipe it to the left and see a preview of the app drawer and its icons as well. I'm guessing people coming from the Optimus G Pro will be familiar with some of these little things. I also think its pretty cool we can change the dots on the lock screen, balloons, dewdrop and basic. I like the extra setting to keep them hidden until you touch the screen, that setting also makes the pattern tiny.

Last edited:

imhowie

Mar 20, 2013
I just discovered something kind of cool. If you click and hold on a notification toggle, it'll take you to the settings for that feature. To example, if you click and hold on the sound profile toggle, it will take you to the sound settings in your phone's settings.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk 2

ManOnTheMoon

May 7, 2011
If you go to my apps under settings and scroll to all, hit the menu button and there's a feature called idle apps that notifies you if you haven't used an app for a set amount of time. This way you can delete the apps you don't use easier. I love it.

Sent from my LG-D800 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

MobileNick

Jan 12, 2011
Portland, OR
I just discovered something kind of cool. If you click and hold on a notification toggle, it'll take you to the settings for that feature. To example, if you click and hold on the sound profile toggle, it will take you to the sound settings in your phone's settings.

That's awesome! :)

Going back to the wallpaper transparency thing, I don't know what happened but I can now have transparency on 3rd party wallpapers! :) No idea what I did - just searched for some nice 1080p wallpapers and downloaded a few. I tried applying one and realized it was the first time I got transparency of the buttons! The notification bar is more like 50% transparent, which I actually prefer because the icons/info are not always easy to see with 100%.

But the cool thing is now any picture I apply for wallpaper shows up with button transparency! It still doesn't work with 3rd party launchers but I'm okay with the stock.

Reactions: jbstutes

shaungregg

Jan 6, 2011
Go to settings then Accessibility and turn inverted color on, easy way to change the look of the entire phone including the status bar, notification dialer, etc. Try it with the Polar Bear live wallpaper, perfect for Halloween :)

---------- Post added at 11:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:22 PM ----------

Under settings go to accessibility and look for Universal Touch under Physical and Motor, turn it on and you get a transparent movable icon that you can place anywhere on the side of the screen. When you touch the icon it opens up a small window to control volume, power, home and gives you a pinch to zoom tool of some kind lol.

---------- Post added 28th September 2013 at 12:07 AM ---------- Previous post was 27th September 2013 at 11:29 PM ----------

Maybe some people don't know about the Jellybean Easter egg, under system settings goto about phone and then software information. Tap on Android version until the jellybean appears, then press down on the bean until your phone vibrates and you'll have a new Daydream. Sorry I re-sized the pics too small lol but you get the gist of it.

cJ7VIZHc2h0uceeEd74IjIQb67qpfAB62kVlXJtHf8c=w84-h139-p-no
ZgCwkGpQ6dvrN9k4wA5FNWMD2BAr7EoXBRdyIakeAz8=w84-h139-p-no
qq_vD8gncb4n7-lgGrehs5wq2i_hCjASaYDqkbi9VRA=w84-h139-p-no

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Aka auto focus... Have you also discovered that if you turn flash on, flash will come on?

Aka you need to read more carefully.TAP to focus that it tracks the movement of an object that you chose is NOT autofocus.Now go be a smartass somewhere else ;)
    I went through the entire thread and copied all the "delightful discoveries" to date. I tried to take out the duplicates or things found in stock but I'm sure I made mistakes along the way. Mainly for my benefit as I'm picking one of these up soon but thought others could also benefit from it all in one post. I hope its OK to copy and paste people without crediting them, but you can see they are all from people in this thread and none are my original tips or discoveries.

Wireless Storage Feature
    You can turn it on with a toggle in the top row of the notification shade. If there's not a toggle there called "Wireless Storage", you can enable it with the edit button at the end of the top row. Once enabled, you can mount your phone as an SMB share by typing in '\\your.phones.ip.address" in windows explorer, or map it as a network drive, etc. It will have need a username and password, which you can find in the notification shade.

Knock Knock
    Remote Control APp

Add/Change Widgets on Lock Screen
    From the Lock Screen:
    - Swipe the clock downwards to minimize the carrier and owner info.
    - Press and hold the clock to remove, then add a different widget.
    - From the Lock Screen, towards the upper half, swipe from left to right, you can add additional widgets on new screens.
    - By default, swiping from right to left opens the camera.

Texts/calls appearing in a pop up window without leaving current application

Theme stock keyboard

Show next alarm time

Long pressing the notification buttons opens to that buttons settings.

You can also change the LED notification color for individual people. Go to your contacts, select a person, edit, scroll down and there is a box for notification color

When you are playing music the notification shade includes a volume control.

When you do a two finger zoom on the home screen the icons go away and you can see your home screen wallpaper.

when you click on a theme to select it and it says cancel or apply, you can swipe it to the left and see a preview of the app drawer and its icons as well

If you go to my apps under settings and scroll to all, hit the menu button and there's a feature called idle apps that notifies you if you haven't used an app for a set amount of time

Under settings go to accessibility and look for Universal Touch under Physical and Motor, turn it on and you get a transparent movable icon that you can place anywhere on the side of the screen. When you touch the icon it opens up a small window to control volume, power, home and gives you a pinch to zoom tool of some kind

In the gallery pinch to zoom out and you see more than one picture... if you swipe the picture up it deletes it. If you swipe the picture down it shares it.

When you set auto brightness you can set how bright you like your auto brightness using the slider

slide your finger upward on the home key you get 3 shortcuts.

if you are watching a video you recorded...you can touch the audio zoom setting and select which part of the video you want the sound to be focused on. it allows you to choose left, middle, or right.

If you ever need a "battery pull", you just have to hold down the power button for 10 seconds and it will reset the device.

option to "Power off and restart" when you hold down the power key.

Most people are familiar with the reject call feature on the phone side since all the top phones have it in some name or form but there's also a register spam number on the text messages. Just hold down the offending sender's thread and the option to report it as spam will pop up, now they can't call or text you.

Text Link feature is pretty cool, thats that little blue chainlink icon in your text bubble that takes info from your text for calender, Google Maps, Google Search or add to memo. So a friend texts you asking if you want to see the movie Elysium tonight at 9pm? and you click the text link for search it will open up Google search with that text as the subject. If you hit calender it will open up for 9pm,

you can customize the text messages for when you can't take a call.

Quick Memo - slide up on the home key, select quick memo, it will take a screen shot that you can write notes on and save!

bringing the phone up to my head to answer it.

Go into the gallery and hit your settings button, you can create a new gallery folder and move pictures into it. In settings..You can also hit view all and it gives you a view of all your pictures.

When viewing pictures in gallery pinch in and swipe up to delete or swipe down too share.

SmartShare Beam is handy. If you transfer files from G2 to G2, it is very easy

I like that you can swipe the top of the lock screen left to use the camera without having to unlock first; or hold the volume button down to turn the G2 on and launch the camera.

BOSSYtexasCHICK on youtube she has some great videos about this phone.

pinch and zoom everywhere! Pinch and zoom the email list, messaging interface, etc.

in sms app, you can pinch zoom in/out to change font size

downloaded apps are sorted by download date in the apps drawer.

the Bluetooth media volume setting is separate from the speaker media volume setting

You can show the battery percentage left in the notification bar.
    Go to Settings... General... Battery... Battery percentage

You can switch between programs by dragging 3 fingers from right to left. This saves the program (icon shows up on the left of the bar) and to get it back swipe from left to right. Really useful when you need to send a text when playing a game. It's called Swipe Aside and it's under the gestures settings.

With the display off, hold the volume down for 3 seconds to launch the camera. The volume down (or up) also serves as a shutter button.
    With the display off, hold the volume up for 3 seconds to launch quickmemo.

You can hide apps already in the stock launcher . Click settings in the app drawer, hide from there.

If you record a video, and play it back using the stock video player, you can adjust the brightness and volume without touching the volume keys on the back. Simply swipe up or down on the screen. Left side controls brightness, right side controls volume.

When using the keyboard, swipe from left to right, or right to left to put the keyboard into one-handed mode. Also in landscape mode use thumbs to swipe away to get split keyboard.

You can pinch to zoom on pics within a text as-is, without clicking them to view and you can download multiple pics in one move via a convenient list

You can reboot in safe mode by pressing and holding the power off in phone options.

The built in Task Manager widget has a setting when you launch it that kills all apps that are running every 12 hours. This is set on by default. My delightful discovery was being able to turn this off.

with the stock keyboard, the 2 keys on the right of the space bar can be customized. Long press and select a punctuation. That now becomes assigned to the key!

if u hold all 3 buttons down while power is off it brings u to a menu that will allow u to task the volume buttons to answer calls and silence alarms

You can set your own pattern for the vibration when the phone rings. When you select "Incoming call vibration", press on the + sign at the upper right part of the screen to "record" your own vibration pattern.

Not sure it has been already said or not, but you can control your phone from your computer. You have to install LG On-Screen Phone (see link in original post). Once done, you will have full control of your phone from your desktop windows computer.

If you open your contacts, beside the search bar there is an icon of a person with a text bubble and a pen. If you touch that it will display only your "VuTalk contacts". Basically this will show your contacts that are using LG smartphones with the VuTalk ability. If you select any of the people that have VuTalk (assuming you have any) it will send them a notification that they have a friend that is requesting to chat live via VuTalk. If they accept, it will open up a new live notebook where you can hand write messages to each other. It is crazy because you can watch the persons writing appear in live time. It's pretty useless but interesting none the less. It then automatically saves the conversation in the notebook app.

I just noticed that you can switch or choose input method from notification tray.
    as long as the keyboard pops-out, slide down the notification tray, then you can see there
    Choose input method

In the stock camera app, when you take a picture, it shows the last taken picture down in the right corner.You can preview this picture without going to the gallery by touching and holding your finger on it. If you don't like it, you can slide your finger to the trashcan while still holding, then release to delete it without having to go to the gallery.

the ability to choose which apps appear when I plug in my headphones. When you first plug in your headphones, a bar with 5 apps pops up briefly. When that bar pops up, there is a menu button on the right side. Click the menu button and it will take you to a list of all of your apps and you can check any 5 to pop up! (also available via accessory options).

going into task manager than menu button>settings, will open the option to disable services.

When sending a picture from Gallery by email, you can choose different sizes for the picture to be sent. Very helpful!

Capture plus option in browser. Its easy save whole web page as image

Hold down the volume-down key and the power button at the same time to do a screen shot of any page instead of using quick memo. Seems cumbersome but it works!

Knock Knock the status bar allowing you to turn off the phone from any app.

it's nice to know that one can now hide/show albums in the default gallery app.

the option of multi wallpaper. I can select a different wallpaper for a different home screen. In wallpaper option select Multi-Photo, then select a wallpaper for the screen you want.

I do like the Task Manager widget, lets you clear RAM with one click.

you can customise your text message backgrounds and speech bubbles etc.

From your inbox press menu > Settings > Conversation Theme. This will change the default skin for all text messages. Or open a conversation with a specific contact menu > Change Theme. This will change the theme for that specific contact only, so you can have temes for different people. You can change the background with either pre loaded skins or your own image and you can change the speech bubbles.

Rear LED notification light (surrounding the power button) can be configured to light up or not during the following situations:
    Incoming call
    In call
    Alarm
    via Settings - Display - tap Notification LED

Turning your phone upside down snoozes the alarm. If it's already upside down, pushing the volume button snoozes it.

If you swipe horizontally across the screen while watching a video it'll fast forward or rewind the clip. If you swipe vertically it'll raise or lower the volume. If you swipe vertically on the right side, it changes volume. But on the left side, it adjusts contrast.

If you hold down the shutter button in the camera app it will set the exposure and focus based on what's in the center of the screen, then you can reframe and release the shutter button to take the shot while maintaining that same exposure and focus.

when you copy text and images and such. It all gets saves in a handy clipboard for easy access by longpressing the microphone key and chosing the clipboard icon. Or press and hold in the text area and select "clip tray".

you can move the notification down a bit and it stays where you put it so you don't have to look at the clutter, remote, toggles

the stock keyboard allows you to hold down the "microphone/T for Text" key and change to pen/paper and u can draw instead of TYPE right in ANY app that requests text

the little "screen lock" icon appears whenever you are in any Note-type application so you don't accidently launch apps while drawing

a "halo" type feature built into the Qslide apps. For instance, if you have the stock browser or the calculator or any of the Qslide apps you can "dock them" to the side of the screen by dragging the window to the side of the screen. It's like a cross between halo and the facebook chat heads. This works really well with the stock browser

the ability to schedule a text message ( press the menu button, click schedule sending, check the setup schedule box at the top, select the date and time, click ok!)

the Alarm/Clock app. It gives you a World clock, alarm, timer, and very nice stopwatch

uninstalling an app is super fast and easy. From the app drawer, hit the settings cog in the upper right corner, then tap the app you want uninstalled, confirm and it's done instantly.

Change the settings on the phone it's slow as Hell on the settings that comes as default switch to 13m much better then the default which is 10m wide

Quick Peak feature!
    if you do a task with full screen, just swipe from top screen down a bit and the statusbar will appear

When we make a call to someone, if they answer, there is a small vibrate. It is very useful when someone doesn't answer immediately and we don't need to put our phone near the ear.

touch the screen and hold your finger for 1-2 seconds at home screen and release/swipe up... it will be opening app drawer in little horizontal windows...
    not only the app but there's tab for widget and wallpaper too.. then you can scroll sideways to search for the contents

pinch out on your home screen everything will disappear so you can see the wallpaper then pinch back in and everything comes back

Start Quick Translator (bundled app) and it really works incredibly well both on spoken conversations and text OCR and translation.

Long press home (but don't drag) and it brings up the task manager

The "Join contacts" function within contacts is FANTASTIC! Join contacts" lets you easily merge your contacts. Also, if you accidentally merge contacts that you shouldn't have, you can easily split. Also, while merging, you can individually select each contact with a checkmark so if you have 2 different people with the same name, you can keep them from merging with each other.

if you have multiple unread texts and you have the popup window on the main ui, if you swipe, you go through all of them

In wifi advance settings you can set a time when WiFi is enabled, and can have WiFi disconnect automatically if not connected to the internet

You can get rid of the QSlide bar in the Notification drop down by adding the Qslide button to the quick settings and using the button to hide the QSlide Bar. You can even hide the QSlide button from the quick settings afterward and you'll never have to see QSlide again.

I bet when some of you open the dial pad, you tap contacts, call log, or favorites tab up top. Did you know you can swipe from right to left straight from the dial pad to get to the other tabs? Hope that helps some of you.

In QuickMemo you can draw on the screen, for instance jot down a phone number with your finger. Then there is a double window at the upper left if you tap it you can run other apps with the overlay you drew still visible, for instance the phone app.

Guest mode is great for those who have kids who constantly pick up your phone without asking. I added in all the kid friendly, non destructive, non personally sensitive apps I could find (up to thirty), and showed them the pattern for that lobotomized mode. You have to use the pattern unlock all the time, but it's worth it for the peace of mind knowing that they can have a little fun, but can't access objectionable content, and your phone settings and personal data won't get compromised every time you leave it somewhere around house. It's also nice when you want to let someone borrow your phone for a few minutes.

Quickly jump to bottom or top of a long web page in the stock LG browser by swiping up or down with 2 fingers.

Swipe vertically from right to left with 3 fingers on any app to freeze it in that state and put it out way so you can use another app. Swipe from left to right to return to app. Different to QSlide as it works with any app rather than just stock apps. its called slideaside.

you can change the background color of the homescreen folders

In camera, TAP to focus that it tracks the movement of an object that you chose

launcher lag has gone simply by changing home screen animation to Breeze

when on homescreen and you swipe up from bottom of screen you get this half circle with Google, QMemo, and Voice search options, pretty nice.

I like being able to snap photos while simultaneously video recording. My kids were in a play last weekend and I got both video and snapshots w/o skipping a beat during the video. You hit the camera button that appears while the video is recording.

On my home WiFi network, I can click Share > Print and the G2 will automatically find my 2 printers and let me print to them.

At work, I'm not allowed to connect external memory devices to my PC. To charge my G2, I simply go into Settings > PC Connection > Select USB connection method, and change it from MTP (or PTP) to 'Charge phone.'

Use G2 as a travelling clock, tick Daydream when going to bed, time and date will light up all night.

If u press and hold gallery shortcut on homescreen,u can resize it which transforms it to a widget

you can enable path input option in keyboard settings to enable swype feature

When earphones are plugged and hearing a song when screen is off, changing the volume level flashes LED notification.

The puzzle alarm is awesome

Under phone it is possible to hide 2 tabs, favourites and groups. Open Phone app, press menu - Edit tabs - uncheck Favorites and Groups.

add multiple cities to weather app and then you can scroll up down on widget to go to different city right on the widget
    I knew about it before I owned the phone, but I had no idea I'd appreciate knock-knock so much. It is one of the best ideas for a phone.
    Wireless storage feature?

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk 4

You can turn it on with a toggle in the top row of the notification shade. If there's not a toggle there called "Wireless Storage", you can enable it with the edit button at the end of the top row. Once enabled, you can mount your phone as an SMB share by typing in '\\your.phones.ip.address" in windows explorer, or map it as a network drive, etc. It will have need a username and password, which you can find in the notification shade.
    If you go to my apps under settings and scroll to all, hit the menu button and there's a feature called idle apps that notifies you if you haven't used an app for a set amount of time. This way you can delete the apps you don't use easier. I love it.

Sent from my LG-D800 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app