[GUIDE] How to easily change system fonts with Font installer on Xperia Phones

Search This thread

Ravensysteam

Mar 7, 2010
Hello folks,

I am a big fan of fonts and always like to change them. However, it seems that changing the fonts on a Xperia device can be a bit of a hassle because there are like 50 different fonts and you don't wanna mess them all up.

So I personally use the famous Font installer: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.jrummy.font.installer&hl=de

Which usually works fine but in this case, there is a small (but very important) thing you have to do, to change most of the fonts.

Requirements: Root and some brainz

1. Install Font installer from the market.

2. In Font installer, click on the menu button and then on "preferences".

3. Click on "Select Fonts" and choose the following additional to the ones that are already checked: "SoMABold.ttf, SoMADigitLight.ttf, SoMARegular.ttf, SoMCSAns-Regular.ttf". I have no idea how these differ from the default android fonts, but you need to change these to see a big difference across your system.

MAKE SURE TO CLICK ON "BACKUP" BEFORE YOU INSTALL YOUR FONT! Then you can alway restore!

4. ATTENTION! DO NOT REBOOT RIGHT AFTER INSTALLING THE FONT.
Then, either install a font from their servers or an own font. I highly recommend the Helvetica Neue Font from iOS7, Caviardreams, or Open Sans Light. All very thin fonts which look great on your device with high DPI.

5. DO NOT CLICK ON "REBOOT NOW" AFTER INSTALLING THE FONT! Power off the device and turn it on manually. Rebooting within font installer can easily make you stuck in bootloop forever for some weird reason. Experienced it many times on my Galaxy Note, so just do it the safe way!

There you go, enjoy your new fonts all across system! Screenshot attached is the iOS7 Helvetica Neue Font.

Some additional info:

- You might not wanna change the default Clock Type because many fonts don't give much care about the looks of the digits. So if you wanna keep your default sony clocktype, do not change "SoMADigitlight.ttf" (obviously)

- Thin fonts look a lot better on the Sony UI than bold ones (like montserrat)

Greetings

Attachments

• Screenshot_2013-09-28-12-10-34.jpg
    Screenshot_2013-09-28-12-10-34.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 6,553

laurochristian

Jun 21, 2011
Hello folks,

I am a big fan of fonts and always like to change them. However, it seems that changing the fonts on a Xperia device can be a bit of a hassle because there are like 50 different fonts and you don't wanna mess them all up.

So I personally use the famous Font installer: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.jrummy.font.installer&hl=de

Which usually works fine but in this case, there is a small (but very important) thing you have to do, to change most of the fonts.

3. Click on "Select Fonts" and choose the following additional to the ones that are already checked: "SoMABold.ttf, SoMADigitLight.ttf, SoMARegular.ttf, SoMCSAns-Regular.ttf". I have no idea how these differ from the default android fonts, but you need to change these to see a big difference across your system.

MAKE SURE TO CLICK ON "BACKUP" BEFORE YOU INSTALL YOUR FONT! Then you can alway restore!

Then, either install a font from their servers or an own font. I highly recommend the Helvetica Neue Font from iOS7, Caviardreams, or Open Sans Light. All very thin fonts which look great on your device with high DPI.

5. DO NOT CLICK ON "REBOOT NOW" AFTER INSTALLING THE FONT! Power off the device and turn it on manually. Rebooting within font installer can easily make you stuck in bootloop forever for some weird reason. Experienced it many times on my Galaxy Note, so just do it the safe way!

There you go, enjoy your new fonts all across system! Screenshot attached is the iOS7 Helvetica Neue Font.

Some additional info:

- You might not wanna change the default Clock Type because many fonts don't give much care about the looks of the digits. So if you wanna keep your default sony clocktype, do not change "SoMADigitlight.ttf" (obviously)

Greetings

FC on app...
iFont works here.

Last edited:

rohith.gm

Aug 24, 2013
Kerala
OnePlus 7
Font installer or rom toolbox

Confused whether i should install font installer alone or rom toolbox

i am an xperia miro user. In my phone Clockopia.ttf and Robot- Regular.ttf are the only ticked ones. Moreover the fonts like SoMABOLD.ttf, SoMCSAns-Regular.ttf are not present in my phone. ( not preinstalled i guess)

So how will i change my fonts using font installer. I have tried many times, but it is not changing

Last edited:

shubhamsingh64

Jun 13, 2014
You told to reboot manually but you did not tell how to get out of problem that I am stuck in after click Reboot Now:(

Sebastiansm

May 17, 2014
Ciudad de México
Thank you very much, it worked fine but my device does not have these: SoMABold.ttf, SoMADigitLight.ttf, SoMARegular.ttf only SoMCSAns-Regular.ttf and some parts just a few are not changed. Any idea why?

---------- Post added at 09:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:15 PM ----------

You told to reboot manually but you did not tell how to get out of problem that I am stuck in after click Reboot Now:(

I heard when your device is stuck is because the font is not compatible with the device, i don't know if it's true or not. When i tried to change the font before this guide, my device booted normally but no changes were made. The only way i know to get out from a boot loop is to flash the ftf file in flashtool.

anthonymackay

Feb 5, 2015
HELP!!!

So i followed the instructions as it says...picked a font clicked install and reboot...yippie...not...i noticed non of the font changed....except for the ones iinvoloved with html coding or webview....aka chrome and email....only problem is now all the letters look like candy canes and i cant figure how to get it back to normal.... please help.... htc on m8 vzw 5.0.1

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello folks,

Some additional info:

Greetings
    Hello folks,

Some additional info:

Greetings

FC on app...
    iFont works here.
    Thankyou it worked perfect on my phone :thumbup:
    IFont app is the best for this purpose.

Never bootloader here.

Thanks for the information, I ALWAYS used Font installer so I was surprised when it did not work properly. Just wanted to let you guys know which .ttf files need to be replaced, couldn't find any hints anywhere eiter so I just tried those suspicious looking SoMa.ttf :p

Greetings