Flashcast without externally powered OTG cable (No invasive cable cutting required!)

Search This thread

yangzai

Jul 30, 2012
Note: You will still need a NON-POWERED OTG cable though, but there's no need to cut it.

Having only a non-powered OTG cable and eager to hack my Chromecast, I went looking for other cables/adaptors lying around my house in an attempt to find an alternative. Here's what I came up with.

Things you will need:
NON-POWERED OTG Cable
Male-to-Male USB Cable
USB HUB

Steps:
1. Connect the micro USB end of the OTG cable to the Chromecast and the other end to the male end of the USB hub.
PA010001.JPG

2. Insert your Flashcast thumbdrive into one of the ports of the USB hub and the Male-to-Male USB cable into another port.
PA010002.JPG

3. Insert the other end of the Male-to-Male USB cable to your preferred USB power source. (I used a portable charger for convenience sake.)
PA010003.JPG

There are many other possible solutions depending on the cables/adaptors you manage to find. The point I'm trying to make is, instead of sourcing for a rare cable days or weeks of shipping time away from you, an immediate alternative might just around the corner waiting for your discovery.

hearnia_2K

May 29, 2007
Note: You will still need a NON-POWERED OTG cable though, but there's no need to cut it.

Having only a non-powered OTG cable and eager to hack my Chromecast, I went looking for other cables/adaptors lying around my house in an attempt to find an alternative. Here's what I came up with.

Things you will need:
NON-POWERED OTG Cable
Male-to-Male USB Cable
USB HUB

Steps:
1. Connect the micro USB end of the OTG cable to the Chromecast and the other end to the male end of the USB hub.
PA010001.JPG

2. Insert your Flashcast thumbdrive into one of the ports of the USB hub and the Male-to-Male USB cable into another port.
PA010002.JPG

3. Insert the other end of the Male-to-Male USB cable to your preferred USB power source. (I used a portable charger for convenience sake.)
PA010003.JPG

There are many other possible solutions depending on the cables/adaptors you manage to find. The point I'm trying to make is, instead of sourcing for a rare cable days or weeks of shipping time away from you, an immediate alternative might just around the corner waiting for your discovery.

Did something very similar myself too, has worked using 2 or 3 hubs. Worth noting a cheaper crappy hub is far more likely to work for this than a posh expensive one, as some have protections to prevent power going the wrong way through the hub, as I believe this is specified in some of the standards.

Reactions: Valerio191

sfetaz

Sep 6, 2007
Literally right Before reading this thread I successfully rooted my Chromecast with this method, but to note my usb hub is powered by an ac adapter, i assumed this was a requirement.

Sent from New Nexus 7

jercb123

Dec 11, 2010
This will only work if your hub will backfeed. I had to use a external hard drive power y cable.

yangzai

Jul 30, 2012
Did something very similar myself too, has worked using 2 or 3 hubs. Worth noting a cheaper crappy hub is far more likely to work for this than a posh expensive one, as some have protections to prevent power going the wrong way through the hub, as I believe this is specified in some of the standards.

Literally right Before reading this thread I successfully rooted my Chromecast with this method, but to note my usb hub is powered by an ac adapter, i assumed this was a requirement.

Sent from New Nexus 7

This will only work if your hub will backfeed. I had to use a external hard drive power y cable.

Sadly, mine didn't come with an AC adaptor, had to improvise. Like what hearnia_2K said, most cheap hubs should work, and posh ones will likely come together with an AC adaptor anyway.

Worked great with a rockband USB hub.

Just bought a Belkin powered USB hub from local Walmart on clearance for $4. Thought it was a bust till I took jercb123's advice and used a Y USB cord from one of my external HDD's.Used the other end of the Y cable plugged into one my phone wall chargers and took with first try. Thanks for this.

laserbiz

Mar 23, 2011
Samsung Galaxy Note 10+
Did I screw up?

I went out and purchased a non-powered otg cable and before reading any posts( I know I should have read thru this thread a couple of times, but I didn't) I started connecting things to each other. the light on the chrome cast was white then it went red. I unplugged everything then connected the chromecast to my TV via HDMI. the screen said it was updating and got as far as 10% before I unplugged it. I waited a few minutes then plugged into my tv again and the screen said updating, 0% then 10%. I unplugged it again.

A couple of facts to consider:

1. I did not yet down load the new image and burn it to a usb drive.
2. the chrome cast, before the latest connection to the HDMI of the TV, was still
not updated.

Did I some how allow the update to happen? what should I do? do I give up on rooting this for now? Thanks for your answers and help!!!( I hope I made some sense!)

tchebb

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jul 28, 2010
tchebb.me
I went out and purchased a non-powered otg cable and before reading any posts( I know I should have read thru this thread a couple of times, but I didn't) I started connecting things to each other. the light on the chrome cast was white then it went red. I unplugged everything then connected the chromecast to my TV via HDMI. the screen said it was updating and got as far as 10% before I unplugged it. I waited a few minutes then plugged into my tv again and the screen said updating, 0% then 10%. I unplugged it again.

A couple of facts to consider:

1. I did not yet down load the new image and burn it to a usb drive.
2. the chrome cast, before the latest connection to the HDMI of the TV, was still
not updated.

Did I some how allow the update to happen? what should I do? do I give up on rooting this for now? Thanks for your answers and help!!!( I hope I made some sense!)

Once the update has been downloaded, there is no easy way to root the device. The only way to get out of recovery mode is to let it update, unless you're willing to disassemble the device. If you are that desperate to root, you can attempt to force a USB boot by using the method described here. However, that method is quite invasive and possibly dangerous, and I can't be held responsible if using it breaks your Chromecast.

Lpuboy87

Jun 12, 2012
NYC
Hmm i followed the methods mentioned here but flashcast isnt getting loaded :confused: My chromecast is new and hasnt been turned on since I ordered it last month ( I've been away) so its still new in the box. I also have a USB 4 port belkin hub with its own power source. I have that plugged into the wall...cable to the hub....USB stick in 1 port with the flashcast bin loaded onto it....other port has usb cable to chromecast which is then hooked to TV. I hold button on cast and connect power..Red light comes on..(still holding button)....nothing happening...I got like 3 dots on my screen but nothing happens even after holding down for 30+ seconds. If i dont press the button on cast and connect power..then it just boots normally :confused: ideas?

tchebb

Jul 28, 2010
tchebb.me
Hmm i followed the methods mentioned here but flashcast isnt getting loaded :confused: My chromecast is new and hasnt been turned on since I ordered it last month ( I've been away) so its still new in the box. I also have a USB 4 port belkin hub with its own power source. I have that plugged into the wall...cable to the hub....USB stick in 1 port with the flashcast bin loaded onto it....other port has usb cable to chromecast which is then hooked to TV. I hold button on cast and connect power..Red light comes on..(still holding button)....nothing happening...I got like 3 dots on my screen but nothing happens even after holding down for 30+ seconds. If i dont press the button on cast and connect power..then it just boots normally :confused: ideas?

The Chromecast needs to be connected to the USB-B port of the hub using a regular OTG cable. See my post here for more information.

Lpuboy87

Jun 12, 2012
NYC
The Chromecast needs to be connected to the USB-B port of the hub using a regular OTG cable. See my post here for more information.

Then it dosnt turn on. I put the chromecast with a regular OTG cable connected to it connected to usb to mini B connector to Hub....flash drive in other of the 4 USB ports on hub...and port was powered with power cable that it came with.

This is the HUB I have

yangzai

Jul 30, 2012
Then it dosnt turn on. I put the chromecast with a regular OTG cable connected to it connected to usb to mini B connector to Hub....flash drive in other of the 4 USB ports on hub...and port was powered with power cable that it came with.

This is the HUB I have

In any case you can't have both the chromecast and the flashdrive on the ports - they cant communicate over the ports. One of them must be on the male end of the hub.

maarawoe

Feb 8, 2012
Prague
Any chance to get this working without a male-to-male usb cable? I have an unpovered otg cable and few powered and unpowered usb hubs.....
thx

tchebb

Jul 28, 2010
tchebb.me
Any chance to get this working without a male-to-male usb cable? I have an unpovered otg cable and few powered and unpowered usb hubs.....
thx

It may work with certain powered hubs. Use the OTG cable to connect the USB-B port of the hub to the Chromecast, plug your USB drive into one of the USB-A ports on the hub, and then connect the hub's power. If the Chromecast turns on, you should be able to hold the button to boot from the USB drive.

maarawoe

Feb 8, 2012
Prague
It may work with certain powered hubs. Use the OTG cable to connect the USB-B port of the hub to the Chromecast, plug your USB drive into one of the USB-A ports on the hub, and then connect the hub's power. If the Chromecast turns on, you should be able to hold the button to boot from the USB drive.

Hmm seems non of my hubs is able to backfeed the chromecast to turn it on so no other way than wayting for the Y otg cable... :(
Male to male usb cable seems to be more exotic part of any household than regular or Y otg :D

BurnOmatic

Sep 26, 2009
California
do what i did, i had a few spare male /female usb cables, i chopped 2 up and took the male ends and hooked them up together then taped them up XD it worked great !

maarawoe

Feb 8, 2012
Prague
So I soldered a male to male usb cable but still no luck - d-link or belkin hubs I have are not able to pass the power to the otg...
Probably no other way than wait for the Y otg...

BurnOmatic

Sep 26, 2009
California
find a pic on google of your hub, cause if you look on mine the power plug is that little first one on the short side the mini usb , i hooked the unpowered otg cable to that and then to my Chromecast, then i put the usb drive on the big usb port on the bottom and the usb cable that would deliver power to the hub by connecting that one to the usb port on the top port of hub then to my pc. at first i was doing it the other way around and it wouldnt take, i would get those dots and a white screen then once i did it like that it worked.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Things you will need:
    NON-POWERED OTG Cable
    Male-to-Male USB Cable
    USB HUB

Steps:
    PA010001.JPG

PA010002.JPG

PA010003.JPG

Things you will need:
    NON-POWERED OTG Cable
    Male-to-Male USB Cable
    USB HUB

Steps:
    PA010001.JPG

PA010002.JPG

PA010003.JPG

Ah I see... I tried this previously but seems the in ports are isolated from seeing each other this way and the chromecast can't see the thumbdrive....

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

if it helps, i used a cheap hub from the poundshop which worked great and a usb cable from a cheap portable harddrive.
    IMG_20131102_164549.JPG
    [/IMG]
    Not exactly what I was asking, I watch bootleg movies on chrome, can I still cast the browser to watch them?
    Not exactly what you want to be saying in a public forum... ;)

Since tab-casting from Chrome is a Google-endorsed function (albeit in Beta), whatever you can play in a Chrome tab, you can cast to Chromecast, provided that you have enough CPU horsepower, network stability and network bandwidth for it. Higher resolutions require both more CPU power and more network bandwidth. You can also cast the entire desktop, but that takes even more resources.