continued to be blown away by battery life

Search This thread

MasterDBA

Sep 20, 2012
Blown away this is great

Screenshot_2013-10-12-20-17-46.png

And this is only my first full day with it.

Sent from my Note 3 now Free

jeromepearce

Jun 7, 2007
Mackay
www.processmapping.com.au
One Happy Camper

I had a lot of issues with battery life on the Note 1, mainly with similar problems being mentioned here and about 3 hours screen on time per charge. I had everything managed fully and sensibly to reduce drain, but it mostly did not go far enough.

Now I have not rooted yet, but have disabled every bit of crud that I was not using. I still allow certain software to update, but do not allow 'all apps' to do background syncs (I can't find the setting now). My mail is on 15 mins, and my WiFi is on all the time while I am at home or work, BT on all the time, 4G data only when not at home or work.

• The drain is minimal. Sometimes I have not even lost 1% after an hour or two of non-use.
  • Yesterday I had over 4 hours of screen-on time, and probably used 2 hours of BT music streaming, and the battery was at 45% after 18 hours.
  • Screen on time is not draining like the Note 1, but I have the automatic brightness set, and it works very well (unlike the Note 1). That may help.
  • Activity with the screen off uses minimal battery, much less than the Note 1.
  • I have most of the features on, except the 'eye' controls to scroll and stop rotation, because these do not work when I read in bed in poor light, and that is the only time I need them. I had everything off in the Note 1.

This may well be because I have a 'clean' install and have not blindly installed everything, so it has a lot less on it, and therefore less background activity. I believe the automatic brightness that never worked in the Note (or maybe draining too much battery itself) is a big factor in the long screen life.

jamesindc

Sep 20, 2013
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold2
I had a lot of issues with battery life on the Note 1, mainly with similar problems being mentioned here and about 3 hours screen on time per charge. I had everything managed fully and sensibly to reduce drain, but it mostly did not go far enough.

Now I have not rooted yet, but have disabled every bit of crud that I was not using. I still allow certain software to update, but do not allow 'all apps' to do background syncs (I can't find the setting now). My mail is on 15 mins, and my WiFi is on all the time while I am at home or work, BT on all the time, 4G data only when not at home or work.

• The drain is minimal. Sometimes I have not even lost 1% after an hour or two of non-use.
  • Yesterday I had over 4 hours of screen-on time, and probably used 2 hours of BT music streaming, and the battery was at 45% after 18 hours.
  • Screen on time is not draining like the Note 1, but I have the automatic brightness set, and it works very well (unlike the Note 1). That may help.
  • Activity with the screen off uses minimal battery, much less than the Note 1.
  • I have most of the features on, except the 'eye' controls to scroll and stop rotation, because these do not work when I read in bed in poor light, and that is the only time I need them. I had everything off in the Note 1.

This may well be because I have a 'clean' install and have not blindly installed everything, so it has a lot less on it, and therefore less background activity. I believe the automatic brightness that never worked in the Note (or maybe draining too much battery itself) is a big factor in the long screen life.

The battery life has gotten worse with the new firmware update.

jonamafun

Apr 11, 2007
Melbourne
My wife's Note 3 appears to be running well. Close to 2 days usage, with screen-on time of more than 6 hours, with full-sync and push notifications on many social media apps (she's a blogger) and 5 gmail accounts. Wifi/BT on. The other day GPS was even on, but it didn't seem to impact battery life much.

Definitely considering as an upgrade from my S3 4G.

Suzook1

Jun 12, 2010
yeah its weird. I just finished up with exactly 3 days of battery life with just under 6 hours of screen time. This with sync on for gmail, linkedin and facebook and other frequent use. I am going see how about disabling fast dormancy to see if I can get even more

jh787

Dec 15, 2008
Mobile reception is a big factor too. If you are always in a strong Signal area it will vastly improve your battery. On the other hand if your phone is constantly searching for signal or signal is weak the phone increases its strength to accommodate and kills battery.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

---------- Post added at 06:51 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:50 AM ----------

how do I toggle that?

hmm it's amazing how some achieve superb battery life even without all the tweaks, etc.

You need to be rooted and download an app called fast dormancy toggle.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Fulvian

Aug 11, 2011
Tokyo
Like everyone else, about 6 hours screen on time. 3 emails on full sync, WhatsApp, LINE, and WeChat run in the background. Auto brightness.
Thought I expected longer battery life, this is still much better than all my previous Androids: S2, RAZR, S3, Z

Reactions: heavylift

wilflare

Sep 28, 2013
hmm are you guys using Greenify or similar apps to get all these insane battery life?

I have really poor signal though (mostly yellow)

.h3

May 29, 2012
Don't know if it has been said before... Anyway... I had a battery drain caused by nlpcollectorwakelock that prevented the phone from going in deep sleep. Now i've killed that service manually from settings > application> google services > terminate just nlpcollectorwakelock. Things are getting reeeaaal better for me but still has to measure well since this is the first day of try. The improvement anyway is noticeable for me.

Found this wakelock issue with betterbattery stats.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using xda app-developers app

KornY10

Jun 12, 2013
I flashed the latest official samsung rom and that was the best!

2days and 7:30Hours screen on by normal use!

christoph_2013

Jun 25, 2013
anyone no why my battery stats reset when i turn my phone off for the night?

yesterday had 95% 15 hours on battery....turned phone on this morning started from scratch?

its only just started happening this past week??

albyXR

Mar 28, 2011
Basel
With a medium use..you considered better the battery of this note 3 instead of the htc one? If yes..i would buy the note 3 and sell htc

Sent from my HTC One using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

tommyntpham

Nov 30, 2012
Cleveland
looks like ill be getting more than 3 days under average usage. :D

Attachments

• 1380213_10151625967885047_1446437648_n.jpg
    1380213_10151625967885047_1446437648_n.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 423

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Seriously people?

Seriously?

People are complaining about a 6.5 hour on screen time, and comparing the battery usage to an iPhone that has a massively smaller screen and massively less powerful processor?

Give it back, let someone who wants what it offers have it, and go get a ****** iPhone, I say....
    ... Just broke the 10 hour screen on mark, and I'm still left with 13%... o_O
    Wi-Fi on all the time, fluctuating 2G/3G reception (but no data used!) 3 short calls (avg 3 min each), 6 texts, WhatsApp, Facebook, messenger, and a lot of Tapatalk-xda.
    No power saver or anything like that, autobrightness set at default (center +0).

Note: Take into account that I spent the time at my place, indoors, so oled wasn't running at full blast.

It took me 2 hours to run battery from 100% to 90% and I thought that the fuel gauge was laughing at me, so I decided to use the phone til I get to 1%...
    It seems it's not lying at all :D

Oh yeah, everything is synced in the background, push notifications, Gmail, calendar and Samsung push services also.
    I'll post later screen caps when I get to 5%

Still can't quite believe it is real... Running stock kernel mj1 with delavega and greenify... Aaah underclocking will be fun :)

Ok, just hit 10% and I took some screen caps.

qerysene.jpg

4eva7yqe.jpg

a6uhanen.jpg

Just broke the 11 hour mark...?

da8yvagu.jpg

Oh forgot to mention that I also have SmartStay and WalkingMate always active 24/7...

Reached 1% battery with 11h 45m ... yep...(Used Microsoft Remote desktop for a while to kill the battery).

Connected to the charger 3 minutes ago.
    Will add final screenshot soon.
    Me = Happy!!! (and no, I don't want to update or even touch anything!!!) :D

sugyvetu.jpg

Took around 2 hours 10 minutes to go from 1% to 100% Green Led, with the phone running! :)

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
    I got my note from tmob and have it on att.

After root and killing all the bloat, the battery is just amazing on this phone.

I am at 1 day and 10 hour off the charger with screen time of 3 hours and 52 minutes and I still have 49% battery

Thats with facebook and gmail checks all day and running in the background. Photos, text etc etc.

Finally 2 day + phone
    If you're rooted i would try to toggle fast dormancy.

It greatly improves battery life
    Like everyone else, about 6 hours screen on time. 3 emails on full sync, WhatsApp, LINE, and WeChat run in the background. Auto brightness.
    Thought I expected longer battery life, this is still much better than all my previous Androids: S2, RAZR, S3, Z