[DEPRECATED]--[GUIDE][ROMS] List of ROMs for I537 using SafeStrap

Search This thread

my-blue-snog-box

Aug 5, 2013
Frostburg, MD
ATTENTION: THIS INFORMATION IS DEPRECATED!
I am leaving the thread up for reference, but as I no longer have the device and haven't been keeping up on the development of the I537, many of these methods may not (and probably won't) apply any longer. Please search the subforums for recent information.

Disclaimer: If you post a successful ROM to the thread, I will gladly add it to the OP. However, I can't promise how quick I can do it. I am very busy with work. I will try to keep this thread as up-to-date as I possibly can.

Purpose: The point of this thread is to make a list of ROMs that have been confirmed to work on the SGH-I537 S4 Active using SafeStrap.

Feel free to ask any question you like pertaining to this topic. Noobs are welcome. Please do not flame other members.

Please provide feedback on what works or doesn't work! This community thrives when you share your experience.

Steps for flashing a ROM
1. Download a ROM file (must be 4.2.2 based with stock kernel)

2. Create ROM slot in SafeStrap

3. Flash the ROM and three update.zips: keys fix, camera patch, and modules fix (MF1, MF2, or MF3 depending on your stock firmware).

4. Wipe cache and dalvik.

5. Boot system

6. Report on how it works if you have problems and share any success.

Confirmed Working:
S4 Google Edition ROM
Goldeneye
SHOstock
MDOB
Graviton
Omega ROM I9505
WickedROM
Alpha - I had SuperSU problems, but flashed the latest SuperSU .zip here and now everything works great.
Hyperdrive - Make sure you flash the ATT compatability .zip in order to clear up the problem with SMS on LTE.

Will Not Work:
ANYTHING WITH CUSTOM KERNEL

Hardware Key Patch

SafeStrap Dev Thread (modules fix zip in third post)

NEW:
I put together a "MasterPatch" for both MF1 and MF3, each which contains: respective modules, hardware keys fix, camera patch, and an edited gps.conf file which allows for a quicker GPS-fix in the U.S.
This is just to make things easier when flashing a new ROM built for the S4. Enjoy.

MF1 MasterPatch

MF3 MasterPatch

Last edited:
I posted this in another thread and thought it might be useful here.

You can more or less easily flash regular S4 ROMs onto our phones. Be aware that this has only been done in SafeStrap thus far. You could possibly make your phone unusable if you flash S4 ROMs as your only ROM without using SafeStrap.

To use a regular S4 ROM in SafeStrap:
  1. Flash your desired regular S4 ROM into a new slot in SafeStrap. Currently you can only flash 4.2.2 TouchWiz based ROMs due to a kernel limitation with SafeStrap. I believe @Hashcode is still working on this and hopefully we will eventually be able to use any kernels with SafeStrap.
  2. Without rebooting, flash the MOD file of your stock ROM. So if your stock ROM is MF1, then flash the MF1 MOD file. MF2....flash MF2 MOD file, and MF3...flash MF3 MOD file. The MOD files can be found here.
  3. Again without rebooting, flash the camera fix that was put together by LeJay. The camera fix can be found here.
  4. Finally flash the Hardware Key Fix that is attached in the first post.
  5. Make your new ROM slot the active ROM slot and reboot your phone.
If any of this information is wrong please let me know and I will update this post so people don't brick phones. Please note that this has only been reported to work in SafeStrap so far, flashing regular S4 ROMs as your stock ROM could brick your device and has not been tested yet.

Last edited:
Just a quick update, I've confirmed that Hyperdrive, a ROM originally intended for Verizon works on the S4Active. See the picture below. Steps to get this working:
  1. Download the latest version of Hyperdrive from here.
  2. This is an Aroma installer, so as you work your way through the installer options choose the AT&T kernel, not the Verizon one.
  3. After finishing the install, DO NOT REBOOT, flash your corresponding modules file (ex. MF3).
  4. Flash LeJay's camera fix
  5. Flash the keyboard fix in the first post.
  6. Finally flash the AT&T Compatibility Pack on the Hyperdrive page so that your phone will work on the AT&T network. The default configuration for the phone has it set up to work with the Verizon network, so if you don't flash the AT&T Compatibility Pack you won't be able to get a signal.

The only thing I can't get to work correctly is the camera with the stock camera app, even with LeJay's fix. I downloaded Focal and I am able to take pictures, video, and panorama however when taking a panorama picture the display is rotated 90 degrees making. The camera is fully functional, it's just not perfect. EDIT: It sounds like the Focal issue has been resolved with the latest update to the app in the Play Store.

TL;DR Hyperdrive works out of the box on the S4 Active if you flash everything properly and in the correct order.

Gj4UquZ.png

Last edited:

yankeesfan714

Jan 6, 2013
I'm curious to try Jedi ROM for s4 but I can't find a working link. Don't know if @ptmr3 knows it's not working.

GT-i9295(i537) running SafeStrap

xAjCx

Sep 24, 2013
HB/LBC
www.google.com
I got Hyperdrive to work and I was excited but without being able to use aqua mode it defeated the purpose of having the S4A so I revert to Stock ROM. Really looking forward to the day that Aqua can be used on anything other than stock.

Last edited:

dealwitit187

Apr 16, 2013
i537 Roms!

Can someone either post or show how these roms exactly work on installing them? So far I only got hyperdrive and google edition to work and still have not got GoldenEye,SHOstock or MDOB to work and I do not know if I may be doing something wrong but I don't understand I got others to work and not these ones that certain people say that work and I have the s4 active i537 model. Could someone PLEASE at least put a step by step with links for each Rom it'd be very appreciated as of right now its rough for me working a lot and trying to learn new stuff as I am a noob with some of this but I use to have the galaxy s3 but seems to be huge difference, THANK YOU!!

Last edited:
Can someone either post or show how these roms exactly work on installing them? So far I only got hyperdrive and google edition to work and still have not got GoldenEye,SHOstock or MDOB to work and I do not know if I may be doing something wrong but I don't understand I got others to work and not these ones that certain people say that work and I have the s4 active i537 model. Could someone PLEASE at least put a step by step with links for each Rom it'd be very appreciated as of right now its rough for me working a lot and trying to learn new stuff as I am a noob with some of this but I use to have the galaxy s3 but seems to be huge difference, THANK YOU!!

I've already provided these instructions in the second post of this thread. You shouldn't have to do anything different than you did for Hyperdrive of GPE, you may have just had bad downloads. Make sure you check the MD5 after you download to make sure you don't have a corrupted download.

Reactions: namitutonka

dealwitit187

Apr 16, 2013
I've already provided these instructions in the second post of this thread. You shouldn't have to do anything different than you did for Hyperdrive of GPE, you may have just had bad downloads. Make sure you check the MD5 after you download to make sure you don't have a corrupted download.

I figured it out, it was the size of the rom I made, I would like to know the sizes to make for roms that I could use all 4 slots if wanted but as of right now I am currently testing still but thank you so much for the reply!

I figured it out, it was the size of the rom I made, I would like to know the sizes to make for roms that I could use all 4 slots if wanted but as of right now I am currently testing still but thank you so much for the reply!

It would be nice if you could post the optimal slot sizes you end up with. There isn't much information in any of the SafeStrap threads on any of the S4's that say what sizes people are using.

If you feel up to it, I think it would be nice to say for example:
Code:
ROM: [URL="http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2301724"]Hyperdrive[/URL]
System partition size: 2800 MB
Data partition size: 2500 MB
Cache partition size: 300 MB
Free space after booting slot: [B]XXXX[/B] MB

This way people would know how much space they have for apps, music, videos, etc. after they boot into their new slot.

dealwitit187

Apr 16, 2013
It would be nice if you could post the optimal slot sizes you end up with. There isn't much information in any of the SafeStrap threads on any of the S4's that say what sizes people are using.

If you feel up to it, I think it would be nice to say for example:
Code:
ROM: [URL="http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2301724"]Hyperdrive[/URL]
System partition size: 2800 MB
Data partition size: 2500 MB
Cache partition size: 300 MB
Free space after booting slot: [B]XXXX[/B] MB

This way people would know how much space they have for apps, music, videos, etc. after they boot into their new slot.

I completely understand right at the moment im in a rush to work but would like to test different sizes and inform people as well but I will say I tried every rom that is confirmed working besides Hyperdrive cause I had it working before but I will reply and update later tonight.. but I do believe this is what I was trying if its wrong I will correct it later as well but it was the lowest size you could do for system and data partition I will say..

*Safestrap*

system partition size - 1000

Data partition size - 1000

Cache partition size- 300

stevehkim

Oct 29, 2011
This is awesome!!!! I thought my wifes att active was on deathrow. For the international roms like omega which kernel patch/module do you use? Im assuming mf3?

Brought to you by my Golden Eye powered ATT S4. Modified with Jkay mod, KT Kernel, and Xposed.

uvbeenzaned

Jul 3, 2009
Just tried the new AOSP 4.3 S4 rom here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2348272 and it seems that the display doesn't show up on boot, all I can see is the notification light flashing different colors on boot and then a black screen and then reboot. So I never got into the OS itself. Still working on this to see if I can get it to work. I've flashed all of the patches required also. If it is ported for the S4 it should work with our patches right?

mutatismutandis

Oct 21, 2013
Just tried the new AOSP 4.3 S4 rom here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2348272 and it seems that the display doesn't show up on boot, all I can see is the notification light flashing different colors on boot and then a black screen and then reboot. So I never got into the OS itself. Still working on this to see if I can get it to work. I've flashed all of the patches required also. If it is ported for the S4 it should work with our patches right?

You're not going to be able to install that. It has a different kernel than the one we have on our phones. We can only install roms based off of TW or roms that use Samsungs stock kernels at the moment.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    ATTENTION: THIS INFORMATION IS DEPRECATED!
    I am leaving the thread up for reference, but as I no longer have the device and haven't been keeping up on the development of the I537, many of these methods may not (and probably won't) apply any longer. Please search the subforums for recent information.

Disclaimer: If you post a successful ROM to the thread, I will gladly add it to the OP. However, I can't promise how quick I can do it. I am very busy with work. I will try to keep this thread as up-to-date as I possibly can.

Purpose: The point of this thread is to make a list of ROMs that have been confirmed to work on the SGH-I537 S4 Active using SafeStrap.

Feel free to ask any question you like pertaining to this topic. Noobs are welcome. Please do not flame other members.

Please provide feedback on what works or doesn't work! This community thrives when you share your experience.

Steps for flashing a ROM
    1. Download a ROM file (must be 4.2.2 based with stock kernel)

2. Create ROM slot in SafeStrap

3. Flash the ROM and three update.zips: keys fix, camera patch, and modules fix (MF1, MF2, or MF3 depending on your stock firmware).

4. Wipe cache and dalvik.

5. Boot system

6. Report on how it works if you have problems and share any success.

Confirmed Working:
    S4 Google Edition ROM
    Goldeneye
    SHOstock
    MDOB
    Graviton
    Omega ROM I9505
    WickedROM
    Alpha - I had SuperSU problems, but flashed the latest SuperSU .zip here and now everything works great.
    Hyperdrive - Make sure you flash the ATT compatability .zip in order to clear up the problem with SMS on LTE.

Will Not Work:
    ANYTHING WITH CUSTOM KERNEL

Hardware Key Patch

SafeStrap Dev Thread (modules fix zip in third post)

NEW:
    I put together a "MasterPatch" for both MF1 and MF3, each which contains: respective modules, hardware keys fix, camera patch, and an edited gps.conf file which allows for a quicker GPS-fix in the U.S.
    This is just to make things easier when flashing a new ROM built for the S4. Enjoy.

MF1 MasterPatch

MF3 MasterPatch
    I posted this in another thread and thought it might be useful here.

You can more or less easily flash regular S4 ROMs onto our phones. Be aware that this has only been done in SafeStrap thus far. You could possibly make your phone unusable if you flash S4 ROMs as your only ROM without using SafeStrap.

To use a regular S4 ROM in SafeStrap:
    1. Flash your desired regular S4 ROM into a new slot in SafeStrap. Currently you can only flash 4.2.2 TouchWiz based ROMs due to a kernel limitation with SafeStrap. I believe @Hashcode is still working on this and hopefully we will eventually be able to use any kernels with SafeStrap.
    2. Without rebooting, flash the MOD file of your stock ROM. So if your stock ROM is MF1, then flash the MF1 MOD file. MF2....flash MF2 MOD file, and MF3...flash MF3 MOD file. The MOD files can be found here.
    3. Again without rebooting, flash the camera fix that was put together by LeJay. The camera fix can be found here.
    4. Finally flash the Hardware Key Fix that is attached in the first post.
    5. Make your new ROM slot the active ROM slot and reboot your phone.
    If any of this information is wrong please let me know and I will update this post so people don't brick phones. Please note that this has only been reported to work in SafeStrap so far, flashing regular S4 ROMs as your stock ROM could brick your device and has not been tested yet.
    I fixed the Speakerphone Problem

Do others have this problem? Haven't seen it mentioned too much.

Yes. 4 people (inc. myself) have made this complaint in this thread alone and about a dozen in other threads.

----edit---- removed obnoxious amount of quotes demonstrating that this is a common problem ----edit----

FIXED! My Solution: I flashed the S4_Active_Call_Record_Fix.zip (md5: 6c9d56411caf7a99b9e42497d3092ecb) that jrkruse posted in this thread here

The problem seems to be in /system/etc/snd_soc_msm/snd_soc_msm_2x_Fusion3_auxpcm (the zip has 2, the other seems identical to most of the other ROMs)

I have re-attached jrkruse's S4_Active_Call_Record_Fix.zip to this thread. Download it and Flash it to restore functionality to your speakerphones. (It does not have any call-recording APKs in it, it just modifies microphone-device handling)

Devs, take note of the differences in the code of snd_soc_msm_2x_Fusion3_auxpcm via this report: http://www.diffnow.com/?report=mg9la (use < << >> > buttons to navigate, this will only be up for a month) but it looks as though the original (left) does a few unnecessary things that the new (right) removes.

Confirmed that this fix works for AOSP GT-I9295 V1, I am currently installing Graviton_S4_v1.6 with the fix merged into the megapatch.

I would recommend /system/etc/snd_soc_msm/snd_soc_msm_2x_Fusion3_auxpcm in the attached file be merged into the Masterpatch.
    @my-blue-snog-box, not to be pushy or anything, but AROMA might be a good way to incorporate all these mods and fixes in to one large zip file. I personally don't really know anything about it but apparently there is a pretty comprehensive guide on it if you're interested.

http://www.xda-developers.com/android/comprehensive-guide-to-aroma-installer/

Okay everyone, I'm starting on it today. I'm going to be making a separate thread in the near future. In the meantime, here is what I need from you all:

Think of things that you regularly flash on each new ROM. I'm going to include everything already in the MasterPatch files, but if there is anything else you would like to see as an option, send it to me via PM.

If it is something that isn't offered in a stock ROM (i.e. a dev's work) that you would like for me to include, please send me that dev's contact information as well, so I can make the request to include it.

This project is for all of us, so it will be very helpful to get recommendations as to what you would like to have included. If I don't get any suggestions, then I can't possibly honor requests.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
    Aroma version of MasterPatch_v.0.92 is HERE