4.4 kitkat 4 Xperia play (google said, technically)

Search This thread

mocool05

Dec 14, 2011
Sorry travelling today, will post details tomorrow. See screenshot
uploadfromtaptalk1383244728985.jpg

from the God of gaming, the Xperia Play

View attachment 2362481

KitKat is all fine and dandy but without, I am sure, additional sources released by Sony (Ericsson) we will probably never get a JB kernel working and still retain full Xperia PLAY compatibility... then again I may be completely wrong and if I am someone correct me. I have stayed pretty much on GB for gaming. Either way, thanks for sharing... although I think this should go to the General forum.... anyways... thread on.

labbala

Nov 15, 2011
google says that they made the OS smaller and after so old devices that didn't get in the past update can now get update because they resolve many issues.

google says that they made the OS smaller and after so old devices that didn't get in the past update can now get update because they resolve many issues.

True but they also stated those will need to be updated by either the carrier or the manufacturer of the device(s). As $ony long ago gave up on the PLAY, I think its incredibly unlikely we will see any support form Sony and or even source releases.

Still, it would be awesome if we can get it up and running, but dont forget the highest kernel we can sort of get working, is kernel 3.4.

Kitkat would be an even higher kernel number.

Reactions: darkharbinger81

eksasol

Nov 22, 2009
Google isn't even releasing KitKat for the Galaxy Nexus. Sony isn't going to do it either, and it would need hardware drivers from Qualcomm side too.

Why is this thread in the dev section?

Last edited:

mocool05

Dec 14, 2011
Sorry for wrong section... Anyway to delete? On another note, dony and erricson broke up so i dunno if they would be wanting to support our 2011 devices. All we can do id hope a dev/sony has the power to bring us 4.4...

vbdetlevvb

Jul 16, 2012
Nürnberg
I think if the 3.4 Kernel is working it wont be difficult to get kitkat running. But as far there is no touch in 3.4

Sent from my R800i using xda app-developers app

majed6

Sep 28, 2013
I'm 100% sure that sony has abandoned our plays .It's a good news to hear that the upcoming android OS is going to be a light one

Tlailaxu

Nov 4, 2013
I'm 100% sure that sony has abandoned our plays .It's a good news to hear that the upcoming android OS is going to be a light one
They abandoned it,yes.As far as i know,there are no new models build and everything that is floating around in shops are the last produced batches,not getting the update to Android 4 kinda sealed this assumption

Reactions: darkharbinger81

eksasol

Nov 22, 2009
I don't know if the X Play will ever get KitKat but Google introduced a new runtime called ART to replace Dalvik with KitKat, on my Nexus 4 it really improve the performance to a substantial amount, so maybe that will help as well.

sent from xda premium app

Tobi-DS

Mar 10, 2012
Would be great if Sony would pay more attention to their old phones, specially because they cancelled the ics update so sudden.
But i don´t think this will happen.

Reactions: mocool05

Xplay21

Jan 23, 2014
By the looks of it, KitKat is out of reach for our device, theres barely any 4.1 or 4.2 jellybean roms functioning, what makes you think we will get 4.4 any time soon? Our Play is best optimised for GB due to performance issues as ICS+ isn't 100% functional on our play. Don't believe me? try any ics rom out and sooner or later you will find out that games will lag and memory will tend to be low. Sorry but this is the bottom line for our xperia play.

smashingeeks

Apr 17, 2012
www.smashingeeks.com
It is indeed possible, and I am saying this because I have NEO L(same as xplay) and I ran kitkat on my phone, thanks to @Mike's hard work. He reached at a point now where touch is working, he just need to have Wifi,Camera and some other things work and it will be there

Sent from my Xperia Play using XDA Free mobile app

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    we will get 4.4, not official but we will get it.
    once i got a play i will work on it, otherwise we will have an other dev.
    uploadfromtaptalk1383244728985.jpg

View attachment 2362481

KitKat is all fine and dandy but without, I am sure, additional sources released by Sony (Ericsson) we will probably never get a JB kernel working and still retain full Xperia PLAY compatibility... then again I may be completely wrong and if I am someone correct me. I have stayed pretty much on GB for gaming. Either way, thanks for sharing... although I think this should go to the General forum.... anyways... thread on.

Well maybe 4.4 is for older phones but as you know the companies support they devices for a short period of time. So no KitKat for us...

True but they also stated those will need to be updated by either the carrier or the manufacturer of the device(s). As $ony long ago gave up on the PLAY, I think its incredibly unlikely we will see any support form Sony and or even source releases.

Still, it would be awesome if we can get it up and running, but dont forget the highest kernel we can sort of get working, is kernel 3.4.

Kitkat would be an even higher kernel number.