[SOLVED]IMEI Null , Unknown Baseband - (*update) and recover IMEI

Search This thread

jd1639

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
Minnesota
Hello guys.

I have a S3 i9300 that fell on water. Since then SIM cards are not recognized, IMEI is null/null and baseband is unknown, making my smartphone a simple multimedia player. I´ve been trying to find a way to fix this, can anybody tell me a way to fix this please?
Meanwhile I ordered a SIM/SD Tray replacement from Amazon but I bet that wont resolve my problem...

Thanks in advance

Sounds like you need a new phone. Doubt you can fix it.

jd1639

Sep 21, 2012
Minnesota
I was thinking about taking it to a shop that has an ASANSAM BOX or something...if that dosent work, wouldn it be cheaper to buy a mainboard and install it myself, oposed to take the phone to samsung service?

I think Samsung charges a flat rate of $200 to fix it. So you be the judge.

luis9400

Apr 21, 2008
Guys i need help
I have a s4 SGH I377M ,with no phone signal but the data is working fine.
i check some forums about this issue but at the screen about this phone i can see the correct imei and the all the stuff like baseland , etc
when i use root explorer and check it i see some files are gone°
no backup of them , what can i do?
Please help me???

hydroxide

Aug 17, 2010
I can confirm this method worked for me as well. Flashed the same efs partitions. I have an SGH-I337m. IMEI still shows as 0 but I am now able to get reception unlike when it read null.

manuelpogi

Jan 26, 2014
null imei n7105

check pm. :)

I have also installed stock ROM. but it is as if nothing changed. :what:

I wonder if I should flash a custom recovery and format the system manually and then Odin flash the stock ROM.

guys please help me myphone is galaxynote2 n7105 it says null imei im from philippines but i bought my device in hongkong.i lost my imei after flashing wrong rom i tried flashing offficial 4.3ph mk3 but no use i tried also flashing some deodexed based roms but no use i tried to use mtk stk imeirepair tool but i really dont understand. now im downloading strockrom 4.1.2 fw in hongkong hope it will return back my imei.any suggestions guys? its been 2weeks since i lost my imei :(

dogmatism

Dec 20, 2006
OP updated with zip file. Please read through before flashing.
Also I do not have this device with me, so I am sorry I could not give anymore help.
For i9505 users and other similar samsung models, I would suggest JTAG or simply a Z3X box service.

Last edited:

trabeast

Oct 14, 2013
Mandaluyong City
Hey guys Im having problem with my I9500 phone! Ive tried flashing alot of modems and custom ROMs but no LUCK!!! My friend has an I9505 can I make an efs backup of his and flash it to my I9500? or will it brick my phone for good?

jd1639

Sep 21, 2012
Minnesota
Hey guys Im having problem with my I9500 phone! Ive tried flashing alot of modems and custom ROMs but no LUCK!!! My friend has an I9505 can I make an efs backup of his and flash it to my I9500? or will it brick my phone for good?

Don't use an efs backup from a different phone. I'm not sure on the s4 but on other devices it has hard bricked it. It contains the imei which will be different than your phone.

Ziida

Jul 18, 2011
OP updated with zip file. Please read through before flashing.
Also I do not have this device with me, so I am sorry I could not give anymore help.
For i9505 users and other similar samsung models, I would suggest JTAG or simply a Z3X box service.

Can I ask what method you used to flash the efs zip? I'd hate to get it wrong.

Ziida

Jul 18, 2011
@Ziida cwm recovery. before that i did via terminal

Thanks! Flashing through TWRP didn't do it for me so I installed CWM tonight based on your suggestion and it's worked! My baseband became readable and my IMEI went from "null / null" to "0 / 00"

To anyone else coming into this thread: CWM was a bit of a hassle to install, so I had to use this guide (mind their typos...).

Anyhow, the most exciting part is after flashing the good Colonel's EFS file my phone was recognized by QPST again!! I went ahead and flashed the AWS .qcn file from this thread, and now my an IMEI number has returned!

I hope you have similar luck, dogmatism!

Last edited:
Reactions: dogmatism

dogmatism

Dec 20, 2006
Thanks! Flashing through TWRP didn't do it for me so I installed CWM tonight based on your suggestion and it's worked! My baseband became readable and my IMEI went from "null / null" to "0 / 00"

To anyone else coming into this thread: CWM was a bit of a hassle to install, so I had to use this guide (mind their typos...).

Anyhow, the most exciting part is after flashing the good Captain's EFS file my phone was recognized by QPST again!! I went ahead and flashed the AWS .qcn file from this thread, and now my IMEI number has returned!

OP updated with your suggestion, ahh I do not have the phone myself now, as i stated I only received it for recovery. Thanks for the input.

Ziida

Jul 18, 2011
OP updated with your suggestion, ahh I do not have the phone myself now, as i stated I only received it for recovery. Thanks for the input.

I just realized I jumped the gun out of excitement.

I DO have an IMEI number... but it's not my OWN. It must be Colonel Sanders' IMEI number! You should maybe contact him if you're able to and make sure he's okay with people being on his IMEI

Last edited:

Ziida

Jul 18, 2011
I just realized I jumped the gun out of excitement.

I DO have an IMEI number... but it's not my OWN. It must be Colonel Sanders' IMEI number! You should maybe contact him if you're able to and make sure he's okay with people being on his IMEI

I don't know about anyone else here in this thread, but my IMEI and Baseband are gone again, QPST no longer recognizes my phone, and flashing the efs zip does nothing for me anymore. Tried fully wiping and fresh flashing the MDL firmware and doing the whole process again but I get nothing... I must have something else corrupted now

Buratti

May 21, 2014
GS3 i9300

[SOLVED] [temp. fix] IMEI Null , Unknown Baseband
Confirmed working with i337 and i337m

Original problem:
Hi

I have received an i337 s4 with imei nul/nul and with no baseband (unknown) - see attached pics.

The user stated that he played with some menu from Samsung secret codes.

It's on stock recovery, download mode doesn't show any flash counters, binary and sys status as 'official' and write protection 'enabled'

Also the home screen shows a certain menu with a notification 'update device information' see attached pic.

I have done a factory rest via stock recovery, still showing the same issues.

How can I solve this hopefully?

update SOLVED:

Thanks to Colonel Sander aka Quasimodem for all the help, here and over hangout.

After having problems with QPST/ EFS pro etc, in repairing, I flashed his efs.img , this removed the home screen error notice and the phone was working normal - still with IMEI = null / null and baseband = unknown

Today he made a flashable zip, which helped me fully flash his efs,

package_extract_file("flash_image", "/tmp/flash_image");
set_perm(0, 0, 0777, "/tmp/flash_image");
ui_print("Installing EFS...");
assert(package_extract_file("efs.img", "/tmp/efs.img"),
run_program("/tmp/flash_image", "/dev/block/mmcblk0p10", "/tmp/efs.img"),
assert(package_extract_file("m9kefs1.img", "/tmp/m9kefs1.img"),
run_program("/tmp/flash_image", "/dev/block/mmcblk0p13", "/tmp/m9kefs1.img"),
assert(package_extract_file("m9kefs2.img", "/tmp/m9kefs2.img"),
run_program("/tmp/flash_image", "/dev/block/mmcblk0p14", "/tmp/m9kefs2.img"),
assert(package_extract_file("m9kefs3.img", "/tmp/m9kefs3.img"),
run_program("/tmp/flash_image", "/dev/block/mmcblk0p15", "/tmp/m9kefs3.img"),
delete("/tmp/efs.img"));
delete("/tmp/m9kefs1.img"));
delete("/tmp/m9kefs2.img"));
delete("/tmp/m9kefs3.img"));
delete("/tmp/flash_image");

After the flash I got back my baseband :victory:
My IMEI has changed from null / null to a 0 / 00 this is not a problem over here, and my network is fully active and amazingly still UNLOCKED.

I would hopefully inject my original IMEI with Z3X box service if I couldn't repair over the QPST and other similar softwares.

Thanks all.

UPDATE:
I have added the EFS zip, this works confirm with i337 and i337m
But this does NOT work with i9505 (I would not advice to flash it on i9500)

Follow all the procedures before going for a flash.
Thanks to @Quasimodem for the original zip.

UPDATE Feb 24 2014: HOW TO RECOVER IMEI
Unfortunately I do not have the phone myself now, but here is success report of recoveing IMEI after flashing this EFS:

edit: removed ZIP, as it carries imei number of the original provider after flashing AWS .qcn

I have the same problem with i9300 galaxy s3 am to 4 days trying and doing various procedures found in several other forums I read all comments until the end of the discussion however was unable to identify the solution, I noticed that two people helped you with the problem.

I'm not very intendido the subject, I can say that I know the basics, however if you have someone who can help me with this, I would be eternally grateful.
already tried several processes
such as:
exchanges ROM
Delete folder by SOLID EXPLORER "copy and paste"
apply other modem and kernel files.
IMEI and nothing keeps popping up when I get back with the code * # 06 #: IMEI null / null.

I live in BRAZIL and do not understand much of their language, I am using Google Translate to send this message.
if you do not understand something you can ask me to explain.
someone help me please, I do not know what to do.

Last edited:

hllsen

Jun 28, 2014
Istanbul
It fails, states:

Code:
[COLOR="Sienna"]Writing NV-items from a file:[/COLOR]
Unsuccessfully written NV-items:
 00550 (0x0226)  -  Unknown command
Done.

Hey there I have exactly same problem and I have tried 5-6 different programs with no luck. Have you found a way to write this NV-item?
Even without any modification reading and writing NV Items 1 to 550 gives the following output in CDMA WS 3.9.

Code:
[COLOR="Sienna"]Writing NV-items from a file:[/COLOR]
Unsuccessfully written NV-items:
 00001 (0x0001)  -  Read only item
 00550 (0x0226)  -  Command failed
Done.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    [SOLVED] [temp. fix] IMEI Null , Unknown Baseband
    Confirmed working with i337 and i337m

Original problem:
    Hi

I have received an i337 s4 with imei nul/nul and with no baseband (unknown) - see attached pics.

The user stated that he played with some menu from Samsung secret codes.

It's on stock recovery, download mode doesn't show any flash counters, binary and sys status as 'official' and write protection 'enabled'

Also the home screen shows a certain menu with a notification 'update device information' see attached pic.

I have done a factory rest via stock recovery, still showing the same issues.

How can I solve this hopefully?

update SOLVED:

Thanks to Colonel Sander aka Quasimodem for all the help, here and over hangout.

After having problems with QPST/ EFS pro etc, in repairing, I flashed his efs.img , this removed the home screen error notice and the phone was working normal - still with IMEI = null / null and baseband = unknown

Today he made a flashable zip, which helped me fully flash his efs,

package_extract_file("flash_image", "/tmp/flash_image");
    set_perm(0, 0, 0777, "/tmp/flash_image");
    ui_print("Installing EFS...");
    assert(package_extract_file("efs.img", "/tmp/efs.img"),
    run_program("/tmp/flash_image", "/dev/block/mmcblk0p10", "/tmp/efs.img"),
    assert(package_extract_file("m9kefs1.img", "/tmp/m9kefs1.img"),
    run_program("/tmp/flash_image", "/dev/block/mmcblk0p13", "/tmp/m9kefs1.img"),
    assert(package_extract_file("m9kefs2.img", "/tmp/m9kefs2.img"),
    run_program("/tmp/flash_image", "/dev/block/mmcblk0p14", "/tmp/m9kefs2.img"),
    assert(package_extract_file("m9kefs3.img", "/tmp/m9kefs3.img"),
    run_program("/tmp/flash_image", "/dev/block/mmcblk0p15", "/tmp/m9kefs3.img"),
    delete("/tmp/efs.img"));
    delete("/tmp/m9kefs1.img"));
    delete("/tmp/m9kefs2.img"));
    delete("/tmp/m9kefs3.img"));
    delete("/tmp/flash_image");

After the flash I got back my baseband :victory:
    My IMEI has changed from null / null to a 0 / 00 this is not a problem over here, and my network is fully active and amazingly still UNLOCKED.

I would hopefully inject my original IMEI with Z3X box service if I couldn't repair over the QPST and other similar softwares.

Thanks all.

UPDATE:
    I have added the EFS zip, this works confirm with i337 and i337m
    But this does NOT work with i9505 (I would not advice to flash it on i9500)

Follow all the procedures before going for a flash.
    Thanks to @Quasimodem for the original zip.

UPDATE Feb 24 2014: HOW TO RECOVER IMEI
    Unfortunately I do not have the phone myself now, but here is success report of recoveing IMEI after flashing this EFS:

Anyhow, the most exciting part is after flashing the good Captain's EFS file my phone was recognized by QPST again!! I went ahead and flashed the AWS .qcn file from this thread, and now my IMEI number has returned!

edit: removed ZIP, as it carries imei number of the original provider after flashing AWS .qcn
    Please re read the thread... If anyone wishes for the zip pm me... I'll guide you to the source. ia.
    Restore IMEI when you don't have any backup

While playing around different ROMs, I recenly made my IMEI null. Hence I was not getting any network and 'Not registered on network'.
    Check your IMEI, if it is not the one which came with your device, it is null or corrupt. Here is the way I used to fix this. I googled a lot here and there and spent days until I figured it out.

Note: This method also works on AOSP ROM. I tried it on my Note 2 with AOSP ROM and TouchWiz.
    Pre requisite:
    You need root access. and Busybox installed on your phone.
    copy efs folder to somewhere safe, so that if you mess this process, you will still have the chance.
    Enable USB Debugging in developer mode under Setting .
    Install USB drivers in your computer.
    Download EFS Professional.

Steps:
    1. Connect your Phone to computer and Start EFS Professional.
    2. Click on EFS Professional.
    3. When you connect, it will ask you to accept RS fingerprint in your mobile. Accept that in your mobile screen pop-up.
    showthread.php

4. Go to Samsung Tool Tab. And click on 'Restore NV data from Internal Back up'. (In efs folder of your phone, there will be two files .nv_data.bak and .nv_data.bak.md5, unless you have deleted it)
    5.JPG

5. If you have deleted efs folder, and have efs folder saved somewhere. copy those two files, and paste it in efs folder which is in the root of your phone.
    6. Click on execute.
    7. If operation is successful, you will get pop-up saying it and if it fails, follow the logs in screen.
    8. Restart your phone and check by *#06#.

Note : Even if your IMEI is corrupt or null, it is stored in backup file .nv_data.bak and .nv_data.bak.md5 file. From these two files, nv_data.bin and nv_data.bin.md5 will be cerated. which will bring your IMEI back. SO make sure you dont delete these files ever. If you do, then it can still be fixed but that I am not aware of.
    In past, I faced it and Samsung Service center was asking to replace the motherboard which is 1/4th cost of the phone.

I hope it helps someone as I got help from others' post.
    check pm. :)

I have also installed stock ROM. but it is as if nothing changed. :what:

I wonder if I should flash a custom recovery and format the system manually and then Odin flash the stock ROM.

That's not going to do anything for this particular issue. I'm about to zip up my backup and send it your way, and dig around inside the files myself. This is repairable somehow.
    well appreciated.

so should I send you my imei?

Yes pm me your imei and I'll try to edit my efs files... I'll pm you an untouched copy too if you want to have a crack at it...