[Tips] Wifi Running Wakelock Battery Drain!

Search This thread

qvnsq

Dec 13, 2012
tucti.com
Having horrible battery drain with wifi running wakelock, even though the wifi is off..If you have the same problem like me, you can easily save more battery with the step below: ( don't know if it been share by anyone here )

- Settings ---> More ---> Security ----> Security Update Service

Uncheck ( Via Wi-Fi only ) Both ( Auto update security ) if you like..

Manage to get under 0.% per hour. ( wifi running remain )

Addition*

- Settings ---> More ---> Location Services

Uncheck ( Use wireless networks )

Please share any other solution if found :D

zetlaw

Feb 2, 2008
Pares-Hana Karkur
I greenified all my apps. No i see my wifi shuts off when im on deep sleep. Because when i wake my phone up it shows me that he connected to my wifi.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk

benedictros

Jul 13, 2008
Thank you. I am now trying these settings. i turned off the security and location settings you mentioned. What exactly will happen if these are off? Will i lose any functionality?

yamaha83

Feb 16, 2010
i wonder if certain apps have the ability to turn this feature on? for some reason i just randomly started getting this terrible battery drain from wifi and google services and im thinking this is the cause and i have not done any updates lately... hmmmm

Jagohu

Oct 24, 2008
Wakelock of Google services

Hi all,

I've been fighting with this issue for a while on my I9502 and just recently came to a solution. I use wakelock detector, and it was showing pretty much 95% of the time the phone was awake. I did the Wifi auto scan off thingy, and a few others which did help, but what ultimately helped me with the "google services" caused wakelock was:
Google Play Store -> settings ->
Notifications OFF
Auto update apps OFF
Require password for purchases ALWAYS

My Wifi is still on and running, exchange account (push) and gmail syncing, location services on both wifi and gps. And the phone is in deep sleep when I turn off the screen. Mind you, I have only the following apps on the main screen: Weather Pro, Smooth calendar at the moment. I will try what happens if I put back google now.
I hope it helps some of you.

chrisknife

Feb 17, 2013
Potsdam
use wlan guest mode if ur router supports it and connect only ur phones/tablets in it.
my router does not support it but i bought a second router for 15 euros which is behind my old router now.
like this i almost loose no battery at all over night.

this wlan_rx_wake crap was driving me crazy since i got my first s2 3 years ago. since i got this new router everything is perfect.
if u want to know which router it is please let me know i will post it then

Mohamad.Jo0

Dec 4, 2012
Egypt
thanks mate you saved my day !!!! i installed greenifiy and i hibernate most of my appsand games expect facebook and telegram, messanger, whatsapp, line , app lock , vault , titanum backup, trickster mod , freedom, device manager, wifikey viewer

any notice you could tell me about my current configuration

gsmyth

Dec 16, 2010
Redmi Note 9 Pro
Redmi Note 9
use wlan guest mode if ur router supports it and connect only ur phones/tablets in it.
my router does not support it but i bought a second router for 15 euros which is behind my old router now.
like this i almost loose no battery at all over night.

this wlan_rx_wake crap was driving me crazy since i got my first s2 3 years ago. since i got this new router everything is perfect.
if u want to know which router it is please let me know i will post it then

What is wlan guest mode and how does it help with the wifi connection?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 02:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:17 PM ----------

Quite a handy app, turns off wifi/data when your screen is off, but can be set to periodically switch on and sync. Can also set it not to connect when u just switch your screen on (to check the time say).

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.teqtic.leandata

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

chrisknife

Feb 17, 2013
Potsdam

wlan guest mode an option some routers have. u can enable it and will have a second wlan network online.
it's not connected to the other network so everyone who will use this network is exlcuded from the primary home network.
mostly it's meant for guests so they can do what they want and u don't have to be scared that ur network will get infected with some sh*t.
but in this case u can use it to exclude ur phone from ur primary network and give it his own network.

on ur pc check ur network traffic with wireshark.
u will get so many arp, ipv6 and multicast traffic... android mostly isn't capable to handle it.
atleast it seems that way because all of this will trigger wlan_rx_wake.

it's even worse when u got a network printer and a samsung smart tv (arp requests like every second)

Last edited:
Reactions: gsmyth

gsmyth

Dec 16, 2010
Redmi Note 9 Pro
Redmi Note 9
wlan guest mode an option some routers have. u can enable it and will have a second wlan network online.
it's not connected to the other network so everyone who will use this network is exlcuded from the primary home network.
mostly it's meant for guests so they can do what they won't and u don't have to be scared that ur network will get infected with some sh*t.
but in this case u can use it to exclude ur phone from ur primary network and give it his own network.

u will get so many arp, ipv6 and multicast traffic... android mostly isn't capable to handle it.

it's even worse when u got a network printer and a samsung smart tv (arp requests like every second)

Thanks for the explanation, I have checked and my router does have a guest network mode, will set this up and give it a try to see how it goes. As I am connected constantly to Wifi when at home and also at work. I can do a good comparison as I have exactly the same router at work as at home, but I can try out the guest network at home to see what the wakelocks are like.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    If you are still showing WiFi connected in battery usage, use the following steps

CONNECTIONS - WiFi

ADVANCED OPTIONS -
    1. Uncheck 'Scanning Always Available'
    2. Keep WiFi on....... - Check 'only when plugged in'

Enjoy longer battery life........

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda premium
    Having horrible battery drain with wifi running wakelock, even though the wifi is off..If you have the same problem like me, you can easily save more battery with the step below: ( don't know if it been share by anyone here )

- Settings ---> More ---> Security ----> Security Update Service

Uncheck ( Via Wi-Fi only ) Both ( Auto update security ) if you like..

Manage to get under 0.% per hour. ( wifi running remain )

Addition*

- Settings ---> More ---> Location Services

Uncheck ( Use wireless networks )

Please share any other solution if found :D

mostly it's meant for guests so they can do what they want and u don't have to be scared that ur network will get infected with some sh*t.